Sponsored by:

Thoughts on c43 amg vs 440ix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corvette
Thoughts on c43 amg vs 440ix

hello everyone, my first post here, first I want to say thanks to all the members here, there are some really good info being posted here

I’m looking to lease a new car soon, I’ve narrowed it down between the c43 and 440xi or 435xi (would have to buy that), my question is what are your thoughts on both cars, it’s a mb forum so I understand there will be bias, but I’m sure some compared the two and ended up with the c43, what was your reason ?

also how is the c43 in the snow? I live in michigan and it snows a lot here, I understand it’s 69% rear biased, and that’s what’s holding me back a little bit.

I really appreciate your input, thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by ManUnitedFan
hello everyone, my first post here, first I want to say thanks to all the members here, there are some really good info being posted here

I’m looking to lease a new car soon, I’ve narrowed it down between the c43 and 440xi or 435xi (would have to buy that), my question is what are your thoughts on both cars, it’s a mb forum so I understand there will be bias, but I’m sure some compared the two and ended up with the c43, what was your reason ?

also how is the c43 in the snow? I live in michigan and it snows a lot here, I understand it’s 69% rear biased, and that’s what’s holding me back a little bit.

the BMW interior is a problem for me. It's very dated at this point in the life cycle.

Honestly, I'd probably be looking at an Audi B9 S4 before either of those choices for your circumstances.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:07 AM

Corvette
Originally Posted by alexasa
the BMW interior is a problem for me. It's very dated at this point in the life cycle.

Honestly, I'd probably be looking at an Audi B9 S4 before either of those choices for your circumstances.
true, the interior is definitely nowhere as nice the Mercedes or the Audi in my opinion, and I was looking at the s5 but the b9 looks so bland and boring to me, I actually liked the b8.5 but I feel it’ll start looking outdated soon. First world problems
Old 09-29-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe

I can give some input as I spent months deciding.

First and foremost any BMW literally did nothing for me due to the interior mostly. I was looking at everything from the M240i to an M3. They're great cars and the drivers experience is there but when you spend all your time inside the car and it feels like you're in the 2000's its a problem. Also, here in NY literally everyone has a BMW

I went to both Audi and MB to check out the 18 S5 Sportback and C43. The S5 is a great car, the interior is very modern and sporty, everything is nice to the touch. The problem I had with this car is the exterior (without the black optics package which isnt available on the B9 S5 for now) looks really boring, almost like a ford focus to me. Also, the exhaust note wasn't aggressive enough from the factory. That combined with the fact that out of every head to head the B9 S5 and C43 have had tested, the c43 wins.

Then I went to MB and all I can say was within 3 min of driving the car I made my decision. Interior is amazing, and with all the bells and whistles this cars tech is outstanding. While there's also many people that have the c300, hardly any coupes are seen and I happen to love the look of the coupe so its a win win. Then we get to performance. Car is aggressive af, the performance exhaust (a MUST have option) puts a grin on your face every time you hear it. Little to no turbo lag either which surprised me as it was felt in the S5. Car feels great in corners and pulling out of them for a nearly 4,000 lb car. For me it there was no other choice.

I sat down with my dealer and found out the 18's have a new studio package that further blacks out the car (something I couldn't get with the S5) so I decided to build one and wait. I'm still waiting, cars supposed to be build first week of October which is next week and I literally cannot wait to go pick it up.

It's a tough choice all around, I spent months looking to ensure I would make the right choice. Any other questions feel free to ask. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
synergize (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,431 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Benz will be more reliable out of warranty, and I own a Benz and Bmw

bmw interior is boring compared to the benz

the benz’s Have started to drive better than bmw’s lately and are fast becoming a better driver’s car ... of course this is subjective

the c43 exterior looks way better
The following users liked this post:
SkitsversuS (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
Since nobody mentioned it yet, the c43 drives fantastic in the snow. With my experience, I threw on pirelli Sottozero 3's (winter tires), the tail only slid out when I really wanted it to lol. I live in Canada, so we probably get just as much, if not more snow than you.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Car is fine in the snow. Most of us run a winter set up, you're going to want to invest in a set at the very least. I also live in Canada (Toronto).

Running an all square set up of 225/45/18.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
18' C43 cab
I have a 335i coupe and it has been a really fun car to drive, BUT. I absolutely will never buy another BMW because it has been a money pit and BMW has refused to pay for items that not only the warranty should have covered but were under RECALL.

Not only that, but the BMW customer service people in NJ were ruder and worse than cable CS people.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
I wanted the new S4 but it was about a year out when I needed a car. Glad I didn't wait as I don't like it near as much as my C.

So it was down to the C450 and the 440ix gran coupe. I LOVED the bimmer to be honest. Sure the interior design is old as dirt but the experience behind the wheel was supurb! And I love the looks of the Gran Coupe. But in the end I chose the C as BMW's Xdrive system is still subpar in capabilities. And when you spend as many days as I do driving up to the ski resort here in Utah, I needed a very capable system. 10 or even 5 years ago, 4MATIC wasn't up to the task, which is why I was always an Audi guy. But the latest systems are on par with Audi/Subaru in my opinion. After last winter, I was more than satisfied with it.

So if I was able to have a RWD car, I would be in a 440 right now, but I am 100% happy with my 450! Hope that helps :
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Personally I do not see the point in a 440ix over a C43 unless you absolutely wanted a manual car (does BM still make a manual 440ix?)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by waisoserious
Personally I do not see the point in a 440ix over a C43 unless you absolutely wanted a manual car (does BM still make a manual 440ix?)
And a person on a BMW forum would say the opposite (without the transmission details obviously).

It's all opinions and butt holes, man. Everyone's got em
Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 AM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
And a person on a BMW forum would say the opposite (without the transmission details obviously).

It's all opinions and butt holes, man. Everyone's got em
eh?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by waisoserious
eh?
Uhhhh.... Not sure how to explain it further
Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 PM

Corvette
Thank you everyone for the replies! There is a coupe near me that I want to test drive, the dealer is quoting me $655 a month for a 12k/36 months lease, the price is $61.5k, only problem is that it doesn’t have the amg performance exhaust! He has one coming in that has it but it’s $69k, you guys think the exhaust is a must right ?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Thank you everyone for the replies! There is a coupe near me that I want to test drive, the dealer is quoting me $655 a month for a 12k/36 months lease, the price is $61.5k, only problem is that it doesn’t have the amg performance exhaust! He has one coming in that has it but it’s $69k, you guys think the exhaust is a must right ?
HELL NO it's not a must for an extra $7.5k. Obviously it has many more options in addition to that, but if the one for 61 has everything you need, then skip the performance exhaust. What's that make your payment, +$100? I'd have them search dealer inventory nationwide and find the exact car you're looking for then have them ship it over. They almost always do this for free. That's what I did, in Utah and got a California car.

Also, god damn! My overall price was $61k and my 12k/36 payment is $740
Old 10-05-2017, 07:55 PM

Corvette
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
HELL NO it's not a must for an extra $7.5k. Obviously it has many more options in addition to that, but if the one for 61 has everything you need, then skip the performance exhaust. What's that make your payment, +$100? I'd have them search dealer inventory nationwide and find the exact car you're looking for then have them ship it over. They almost always do this for free. That's what I did, in Utah and got a California car.

Also, god damn! My overall price was $61k and my 12k/36 payment is $740
sorry forgot to mention 2500 down, and it’s a 2017, well I mean my main requirement was the exhaust and not performance tires because I’ll be driving it in the winter, well it has performance tires and no amg exhaust.. haha, I’m okay with the tires I guess because I’ll end up buying snow tires
Old 10-05-2017, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
sorry forgot to mention 2500 down, and it’s a 2017, well I mean my main requirement was the exhaust and not performance tires because I’ll be driving it in the winter, well it has performance tires and no amg exhaust.. haha, I’m okay with the tires I guess because I’ll end up buying snow tires
Yeah I'm glad this came up actually. Since they are run-flats, the dealer will require equivalent run-flats at lease turn in. So the best move is to shelf them asap for when you are done with it. The run flats not only perform/ride like crap, but they wear out super fast and are very expensive. So it's best to spend money on good tires that you'll enjoy and not have to spend it on crap RFs.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
It's been said many times and places within the various threads on this forum, however I will say it again. DO NOT get the car without the AMG PE !! It is the option that sets this car apart from anything else you would compare it to. You will regret not having it, and it can't be added later. I would push them to find you one or search yourself, I visited one dealer near me, said the car I wanted / spec was not available anywhere in my province or adjacent provinces. However I found exactly what I was looking for 100 Kim's from my house. Don't settle for what they have on the lot, push them , "they have to sell cars, you don't have to buy one ". Make them work for your business.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Corvette
Thanks for the heads up and replies! And I contacted another dealer about a coupe that has the performance exhaust, price of the car is $64k, residual $36,269, MF IS .00134. Monthly payment is $997 a month with $997 down (first month payment). That’s definitely out of my price range, so you think I could get one with performance exhaust for around $650 a month ?

again thanks for all the help
Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Thanks for the heads up and replies! And I contacted another dealer about a coupe that has the performance exhaust, price of the car is $64k, residual $36,269, MF IS .00134. Monthly payment is $997 a month with $997 down (first month payment). That’s definitely out of my price range, so you think I could get one with performance exhaust for around $650 a month ?

You're gonna wanna look for a car that has a MSRP lower the 60k and closer to ~55k for that realm of monthly. So, prioritize your options and figure out what you can afford.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Have had no issues with c450 in snow. As long as you turn traction off you should pull away from any snow in your way.. I was stuck in the snow once and a good Samaritan told me to turn traction off.. once I did the car pulled away like a g-wagon.. just a friendly tip should you get the car.. or any car for that matter.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Porsche 911 S

Like everyone else said, you will absolutely regret not getting the AMG PE! I got my 2017 C43 Sedan 1.5 months ago. MSRP $66k with PE. Negotiated price down to $57.5k, so lease was $656 mo with $2k down, 36 mo/30k.

First C43 I test drove didn't have PE. It was a great ride but then I found one with PE and took for a test drive...there is no comparison. I had that car within 3 days.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
We have friends who are huge into BMWs and so we went and test drove an M240ix and a 440iX and then we also test drove the C43 Coupe and C43 Sedan. The BMW dealer was very nice and we really enjoyed driving their cars with manual transmissions. We went on several test drives, and I really enjoyed driving the m240ix and 440iX when equipped with a stick. It truly makes those cars the more involving to drive out of the bunch, and almost makes their antiquated interiors tolerable (well not really, its embarrassing for that amount of money) . But if you are going to buy a car with an automatic transmission then there is little to love about the BMW, and the MB wins all day long. My wife felt the M240iX interior was cheap and ugly, and the car was too small. It also didn't allow one the option of LED headlamps that turn as you corner (we living in a winding development and there can be deer or other wild life in the road) and there weren't that many options that we had come to expect). The 440iX was nice, but without a manual transmission, the C43 was more fun to drive, the interior was far nicer (the BMW interior looks like something from 2005). In fact, to have the same level of power and an exhaust that sounded almost as nice as the C43 with the performance exhaust you had to buy the power and sound kit (a port installed option that bumps the 440 up to around 355 hp and gives you a sport exhaust - that was about $3,300 IIRC). We also found that trying to equip a C43 Sedan and a 440iX comparably the 440iX was around $4000-5000 more, and the BMW dealers were not willing to negotiate much of a discount. The best discount I could get off of a 440iX was 6%. I got more than twice that discount on our C43 (which we were ordering and not buying off the showroom floor).

Anyway, we are very happy with our C43 sedan (we liked it more than the coupe). We haven't had an opportunity to drive it in winter weather as it arrived in the spring, but we bought dedicated snow tires and winter wheels for it. Based on what others have said it should do well in snow/winter weather. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'17 AMG C43
I actually enjoy my non PE exhaust...but then again I like a deeper exhaust note.