Performance Exhaust Butterly Valves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Performance Exhaust Butterly Valves

This is for those who have the PE option in their car.

Mine makes a squeaky noise everytime I open it. Upon further investigation with a light, the butterfly valve seems to be completely blacked out with carbon buildup and looks totally dry. And that's probably the explanation for the squeaky valve.

Blasting it with some WD-40 might be the solution. I will keep you guys updated.

Also I noticed the right valve opens more than the left valve when I press the PE button.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by munis
This is for those who have the PE option in their car.

Mine makes a squeaky noise everytime I open it. Upon further investigation with a light, the butterfly valve seems to be completely blacked out with carbon buildup and looks totally dry. And that's probably the explanation for the squeaky valve.

Blasting it with some WD-40 might be the solution. I will keep you guys updated.

Also I noticed the right valve opens more than the left valve when I press the PE button.
I have the same problem here on my C63S Coupe.
Dealer has attempted a "repair" 3x now, and it doesn't resolve.
It's now gotten to a point where when I move between exhaust modes, the RPMs drop/increase by 500 RPMS.

The other day after driving on the freeway in comfort mode, I switched back to performance, the car stalled.

I reached out to dealer, and got no response on the problem.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by auditoamg
I have the same problem here on my C63S Coupe.
Dealer has attempted a "repair" 3x now, and it doesn't resolve.
It's now gotten to a point where when I move between exhaust modes, the RPMs drop/increase by 500 RPMS.

The other day after driving on the freeway in comfort mode, I switched back to performance, the car stalled.

I reached out to dealer, and got no response on the problem.

Oh I think that might be a bit more different to my problem. Are you sure it has something to do with the exhaust valves? Like 500rpm difference between the valves open or close is a lot of difference.

If I press the PE button in comfort nothing changes. The only time the idling RPM increases is when I go from Comfort to Sports+. Then the RPM increases from 600 to 1000 all while the car is in parking to neutral. But I think that is how everyone's car with PE behaves.

In comfort mode, if you press the PE button, the RPM should not change.

My problem is more related with the movement of the valve. It kind looks dried up and when I do press the PE button, the passenger side valve opens a bit more then the drivers side. Do you have this issue as well?

These valves are spring to open on failure. For example, when you turn the car off. You should see both the valves are fully open. Meaning without any electric signal to the electronic actuator, the valves stays open.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I just want to say one thing. I'm not expert on this matter but WD-40 isn't a lubricant, right?
Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Originally Posted by unr1
I just want to say one thing. I'm not expert on this matter but WD-40 isn't a lubricant, right?
WD-40 is the trademark name of a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray. The spray is manufactured by the San Diego, California–based WD-40 Company.

WD-40 was originally created to prevent corrosion on the tips of the Military missiles while in storage. However, most people use it as a lubricant, so who knows what it is, I don't have too many missiles to lube! It does smell good like a mechanics cologne.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by unr1

No but it is pretty effective in getting rid of gunk and carbon. After that some grease would work just fine.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys can anyone shed some light on this? If I see inside the exhaust from the back of my car, I can see a huge amount of carbon build up there. Is there any known way to clean this out?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan
Guys can anyone shed some light on this? If I see inside the exhaust from the back of my car, I can see a huge amount of carbon build up there. Is there any known way to clean this out?
You will never get red of carbon build up, its the exhaust all exhausts have build up.

I don't need to tell you just drive it hard.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Saab 900 SET
It's not easy to do for sure. Your best bet is to make sure your not running rich. Black build up is mostly carbon build up from running rich or burning oil. If it's not smoking it's most likely running rich or it's been a city rig. Very rarely run at temps to it hot enough to burn off the excess fuel in the exhast. Was this a city driver?
Sounds like you need a good road trip.
Next time you are going to run for a long road trip (engine temp nice and warm/hot) you should run a tank of prem gas with injector cleaner like B44 in your tank. This should help clean some of it out other than that there is little to do to clean it out. It will only get clean by running at hot temps to burn it out.

Like mau108 said, step on the juice pedal!
Old 10-05-2017, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by synergize
It's not easy to do for sure. Your best bet is to make sure your not running rich. Black build up is mostly carbon build up from running rich or burning oil. If it's not smoking it's most likely running rich or it's been a city rig. Very rarely run at temps to it hot enough to burn off the excess fuel in the exhast. Was this a city driver?
Sounds like you need a good road trip.
Next time you are going to run for a long road trip (engine temp nice and warm/hot) you should run a tank of prem gas with injector cleaner like B44 in your tank. This should help clean some of it out other than that there is little to do to clean it out. It will only get clean by running at hot temps to burn it out.

Like mau108 said, step on the juice pedal!
Haha, giving me a reason to do what I do anyway. Actually to be honest my exhaust was really clean. I decided to test a new burble tune. And within one weekend everything in the exhaust is black. I was warned about this. Silly me and my need for more sound. I got it rid of it now. Probably was a very rich mixture that caused this. Both the valves are all blacked out. Now that I am back to stock the car definitely sounds much quieter than before. I think if I managed to clean out the exhaust a bit, it will go back to normal.

I have seen some videos where they pump some water into the exhaust pipe and then goes WOT. And all the black junk comes out. What do you guys think about that?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:52 PM

Saab 900 SET
I have seen some videos where they pump some water into the exhaust pipe and then goes WOT. And all the black junk comes out. What do you guys think about that?[/QUOTE]

Never heard of that, but I would like to see someone try it!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
Carbon builds up for any number of reasons.. Some of the big ones are warming up the motor bad bad thing to do. Start the car and drive off, stay easy for a few minutes and let the car warm up before hard acceleration. Use the type of fuel the car calls for. A car designed to run Regular will not run better with Premium, and vise versa. Don't baby the car drive it like it was meant to be driven. Driving your AMG like a girly man isn't doing it any good. A bottle of Techron every 3K miles is also good thing for carbon build up.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:07 PM

none yet
Define huge..
Old 10-05-2017, 05:12 PM

none yet
If you have the PE Option just leave it open for a few weeks and drive the snot out of it.. Should clean itself right out.

Last edited by ErikM; 10-06-2017 at 04:14 PM.