C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burmester Audio System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)
Burmester Audio System

I have read a ton of posts about performance upgrades for the C43 but has anyone upgraded the Burmester stereo system?

I would like to add a 9 channel Audison amp that is compatible with the Burmester and re-configure the speaker frequencies which the amp lets you do.

Also some 4" Focal speakers in the front and maybe upgrade the two 6" woofers in the footwells.

Anyone upgraded yet? Granted I do understand the system is pretty good the way it is, but I like it loud and clear- Audiophile is a hobby of mine and the C43 cockpit is the perfect listening environment.
The following users liked this post:
Ron Perez 43 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
C450
https://w205audio.wordpress.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by likerage:
Lazz83 (10-10-2017), Star4life (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
ive looked into it. most days the burmeister is fine with good source material (ie. flac playing through iphone or lossless on a hard drive). it doesnt get quite loud enough in certain circumstances and it is pretty bright. I came from a full digital audio audison setup in my old c class. the new one isnt great but its good enough to where the money and labor involved in putting it in ( i dont let any stereo shop touch my cars), just has exceeded the necessity for an upgrade.

that wordpress site is a good tutorial. id start with better source material than the sirius sat radio or mp3 and see how far that gets you.

I wish this was like the old w204 harmon stereo where when you went into engineering mode you had full control of the in car processor. I wonder if we can gain access to this menu like the w204 and have access to the processor settings?!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320
I just got the car with the standard Burmester sound system which is just "meh" but nothing I'd complain excessively about. This car makes its own set of noises that most who buy it probably want to listen to over music. I do have a question about the standard system. Is there any kind of upgrade possible, say a subwoofer in back, that would be permissible on a lease and not change the standard equipment or change the interior in any structural way?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by tpmbz67
I just got the car with the standard Burmester sound system which is just "meh" but nothing I'd complain excessively about. This car makes its own set of noises that most who buy it probably want to listen to over music. I do have a question about the standard system. Is there any kind of upgrade possible, say a subwoofer in back, that would be permissible on a lease and not change the standard equipment or change the interior in any structural way?
What do you mean by Standard Burmester System? the Burmester is the optional upgrade. The link above shows a sub box by JL Audio with two 8" subs, it mounts behind the rear seat and can be easily removed. All you have to do is get the small JL Amp in the article and you would have the base. That Audison amp is another option as it essentially doubles the power to the two front 6" subwoofers. It to can be easily removed when you turn your lease in.
tpmbz67 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 PM

E320
I was under the impression that the "standard" system was a Burmester as well. The car I got has "Burmester" on the speakers and on the controls that come up on the display screen. But I thought there was another more advanced system that was quite an expensive upgrade. I did get the "Multimedia Package" with my car which was a $2000 boost to the sticker price, but I didn't think the upgraded sound system was included with this. What do the door speakers look like if you don't have the Burmester? Anyway .. thanks for the tips on the non-invasive improvements for the audio .. may consider them. Are they easily installed by me or is it something I'd have to have done?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 AM

I was under the impression that the "standard" system was a Burmester as well. The car I got has "Burmester" on the speakers and on the controls that come up on the display screen. But I thought there was another more advanced system that was quite an expensive upgrade. I did get the "Multimedia Package" with my car which was a $2000 boost to the sticker price, but I didn't think the upgraded sound system was included with this. What do the door speakers look like if you don't have the Burmester? Anyway .. thanks for the tips on the non-invasive improvements for the audio .. may consider them. Are they easily installed by me or is it something I'd have to have done?
Not sure what the standard stereo looks like, i thought the standard stereo was Harmon Kardon- Which the Burmester is anyway- its just tuned by Burmester. My Burmester is about the best sounding factory stereo I have heard and plays fairly loud. I believe it has ten speakers and the amp is about 650 watts total. I am sure you would be able to tell if you had the upgraded system.

Though most of the installation for the sub box is plug and play I like the clean installation a pro can provide and always use a pro especially if it is a lease, they can remove the equipment quickly also like it was never there.
tpmbz67 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:07 PM

E320
I gave the system a listen last night sitting in the garage .. it has enough punch for me to stick with it for now. I don't think it's delivering 650 watts, however. Will consider the sub-woofer add-on a bit down the road.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:43 PM

I gave the system a listen last night sitting in the garage .. it has enough punch for me to stick with it for now. I don't think it's delivering 650 watts, however. Will consider the sub-woofer add-on a bit down the road.
I would be surprised if you have the upgraded stereo then. I have been dabbling in after market audio systems for 20yrs and the Burmester is really good in my opion and I like it loud. You can crank it up loud and clear way above talking or shouting volume.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 MB C43 coupe, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
i originally found the standard burmester in my C43 acceptable. Not horrible, but nowhere near my HK in my prior BMW.
most of my music is either XM sat radio or bluetooth from my iPhone.

after upgrading to iOS 11 on my phone, all my iPhone via bluetooth music is incredibly fuzzy / noisy. Songs that were crisp before have noise in them now.
This problem is only in the Mercedes. My iPhone powering my home stereo or headphones is still delivering clear sound quality via bluetooth.

does anyone have advice?
should I move everything to an SD card? do I gain any dash display advantages (e.g. album art) or playlist advantages? bluetooth is much easier, ugh.
any other settings or adjustments to check? thanks
Old 10-29-2017, 01:42 PM

E320
Do you mean to say that they have occasional noise, like a system hiccup or something going on when you switch tracks or use the controls within the application? Or is the noise constantly there whenever you listen to music via the bluetooth? I use Napster via bluetooth in my car and have noticed nothing like that. I would suggest re-loading the app on your phone and seeing if that helps. Or do a system re-load of 11. Seems obvious that this is an aberration.

On a related note I'm getting more fond of the standard Burmester system that came with the car. It does have some decent low-end response but this seems particular to the track I happen to be listening to. Also kicks in a bit more at higher volumes. Still debating on whether to have a subwoofer installed (one that would be easily removed at the end of the lease.)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC
So the Burmester is a lot better than the standard stero they come with correct?
Old 10-29-2017, 03:53 PM

E320
I'm still not clear on what the "standard" stereo system is in these cars. I didn't pay an $850 option for the sound system and it doesn't have tweeters that extend outward when you turn it on .. but it definitely says "Burmester" on the speakers and when you dial in the controls on the screen. It's got decent punch, nothing special, but I suspect that investing in an easily-removed subwoofer in back would improve it substantially if you want to turn it up. All car audio systems are subject to surrounding road noise and imperfect listening conditions, unless one is parked in the garage (in which case they can be ideal.)
Old 10-29-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
Got a free decibels met app for my phone.If you listen to sound levels of 110 dc or greater for 1 hour,you'll damage your hearing.

I'm half deaf already & can't afford to lose amy more hearing than I already have.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 MB C43 coupe, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Do you mean to say that they have occasional noise, like a system hiccup or something going on when you switch tracks or use the controls within the application? Or is the noise constantly there whenever you listen to music via the bluetooth? I use Napster via bluetooth in my car and have noticed nothing like that. I would suggest re-loading the app on your phone and seeing if that helps. Or do a system re-load of 11. Seems obvious that this is an aberration.

On a related note I'm getting more fond of the standard Burmester system that came with the car. It does have some decent low-end response but this seems particular to the track I happen to be listening to. Also kicks in a bit more at higher volumes. Still debating on whether to have a subwoofer installed (one that would be easily removed at the end of the lease.)
I have constant fuzz / noise throughout the entirety of the songs, but just in my Mercedes. the same source with headphones is clear. Seems like something specific in the Benz BT interface with my iPhone.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts
c43 Amg coupe
Originally Posted by ryanSTL
I have constant fuzz / noise throughout the entirety of the songs, but just in my Mercedes. the same source with headphones is clear. Seems like something specific in the Benz BT interface with my iPhone.
I have a 7 plus on iOS 11and I haven’t experienced fuzz when on Bluetooth. I usually use a cable though because the sound quality is better and I like my phone charged.

Have you tried a different phone to narrow down the possibilities?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43
The Burmester on the C43 is pretty lackluster. Branding move more than anything else in my opinion. Although I haven't tried a direct source, just bluetooth and sirius.