Old 11-02-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Chevy calls it a Dual Mode Exhaust.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
It's just the button that opens up the valves which bypasses the rear mufflers which in conclusion, yes, gives you increased sound!

I'm sure it'll give you a few extra hp up top but it's negligible. The "performance" in the name is just marketing. Not sure why they don't just call it "exhaust button exhaust" because the single greatest development in automotive tech the past 10 years has got to be the 'exhaust button.' For sure it's in the top 3!
There is also a difference in the software - PE cars have a difference in their ECU. That's why you can't slap an aftermarket exhaust on and get the same quality of burbles and overrun as a PE car.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG C43 sedan
Originally Posted by threefirs
There is also a difference in the software - PE cars have a difference in their ECU. That's why you can't slap an aftermarket exhaust on and get the same quality of burbles and overrun as a PE car.
There's no proof that the ECU of the C43 cars with PE are tuned differently than the ones without. Yes, there's a setting/flag in the ECU that say whether PE is installed on the car, however, nobody knows whether it indicates that ECU parameters are different or it's only there for interoperability with the HU/COMAND.

I've asked both the performance shops and the dealerships and they don't know the answer. In fact, most people think the tunes are the same.

C63, on the other hand, may have a different story as it has an extra valve in the mid-section of the exhaust that is controlled by the engine rpm/etc.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ASH_C43
There's no proof that the ECU of the C43 cars with PE are tuned differently than the ones without. Yes, there's a setting/flag in the ECU that say whether PE is installed on the car, however, nobody knows whether it indicates that ECU parameters are different or it's only there for interoperability with the HU/COMAND.

I've asked both the performance shops and the dealerships and they don't know the answer. In fact, most people think the tunes are the same.

C63, on the other hand, may have a different story as it has an extra valve in the mid-section of the exhaust that is controlled by the engine rpm/etc.
Why don't you just ask a tuning company? They are different, ECU data can easily be compared. There are no performance gains as far as anyone knows, but the burbling and overrun is definitely controlled by the ECU - which means yes, the ECU has a different configuration on PE cars.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:24 PM

AMG C43 sedan
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
It's just the button that opens up the valves which bypasses the rear mufflers which in conclusion, yes, gives you increased sound!

I'm sure it'll give you a few extra hp up top but it's negligible. The "performance" in the name is just marketing. Not sure why they don't just call it "exhaust button exhaust" because the single greatest development in automotive tech the past 10 years has got to be the 'exhaust button.' For sure it's in the top 3!
I do agree with you that 'performance' wise there's not much gain if any at all. However, Performance Exhaust (U78) is a different configuration than the Sport Exhaust (U21). PE has a dual-pipe setup from the mid-section to the mufflers. This creates a difference in the tone of the exhaust. Not saying if it's better or worse. I'm just saying it's a bit different. And of course, the additional valves in the mufflers, can make its sound louder and audible.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:26 PM

I do agree with you that 'performance' wise there's not much gain if any at all. However, Performance Exhaust (U78) is a different configuration than the Sport Exhaust (U21). PE has a dual-pipe setup from the mid-section to the mufflers. This creates a difference in the tone of the exhaust. Not saying if it's better or worse. I'm just saying it's a bit different. And of course, the additional valves in the mufflers, can make its sound louder and audible.
The burble and overflow is definitely ECU. It's pulling back on timing and dumping fuel into the exhaust. Doesn't just happen with a change of exhaust.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:35 PM

AMG C43 sedan
Why don't you just ask a tuning company? They are different, ECU data can easily be compared. There are no performance gains as far as anyone knows, but the burbling and overrun is definitely controlled by the ECU - which means yes, the ECU has a different configuration on PE cars.
I have asked as I mentioned. And they said they don't know if it has affected any of the parameters. They only see the option there (they can't change it either).

Burble/overrun might be ECU driven but the ECU tune is not different between the two cars because of the exhaust, IMHO.
A car without PE makes a lot of it too when in Sport+. In a car with PE, it's definitely more noticeable because of the valves and perhaps more importantly the fact that PE is a dual-pipe configuration and has a different mid-section/resonator altogether.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:41 PM

I have asked as I mentioned. And they said they don't know if it has affected any of the parameters. They only see the option there (they can't change it either).

Burble/overrun might be ECU driven but the ECU tune is not different between the two cars because of the exhaust, IMHO.
A car without PE makes a lot of it too when in Sport+. In a car with PE, it's definitely more noticeable because of the valves and perhaps more importantly the fact that PE is a dual-pipe configuration and has a different mid-section/resonator altogether.

What does "ECU driven" mean? lol. It's in the ECU tune - the tune impacts all parameters, including the timing and fuel which is what causes the burble!!!

I don't know who you spoke to but you should probably not allow that person to touch your ECU, lol.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Yes and no. There is a software difference but it's not mutually exclusive to the PE. It's either the same thing, or at least similar, as to what I get in my 450. In E, C, and S modes, I only get a tiny bit of 'pop-pops'. But when it's in S+, it's a completely different story. Like said in another post, those noise charactaristics are created at the motor, so the more free-flowing the exhaust, the louder those pops will be. Since I removed my cats, they became crazy intense. Pedestrians close by duck and cover haha
Old 11-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
na
Originally Posted by synergize
I take it your wife never ever reads the forums, if she did you would probably wear a tire iron as hat!
Now that is a good one. May I put it in my repertoire?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
night package is good, but the mirrors and trim will be black anyways.. just the rear diffuser and exhust tips and the front lip is black. I like ordering black cars without the night package and I order the rest with it (not always on the brilliant blue).
Old 11-07-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Originally Posted by ecmexchange
Now that is a good one. May I put it in my repertoire?
Absolutely.