C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C43 owner here. Very pleased, but I have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C43 AMG
New C43 owner here. Very pleased, but I have a few questions...

Hey everyone, I'm a new C43 owner and I absolutely love the car. I've been driving it almost a week now, and here are some things I'm wondering. I don't view these as negatives, per se, but they are things I'm curious about:
  1. It appears that no matter what dynamic setting I turn the car off with, it always resets to "C" for comfort mode. It looks like the manual confirms this, but I'm wondering if there are any workarounds?
  2. Same thing goes for the auto start/stop function. With the car turning on "C" mode this gets activated as well. I've never owned a car that's done this, so it's still a bit jarring to me when it happens. Any way to toggle that off so I don't have to press the button each time I start the car?
  3. I have an iPhone. With the COMMAND system, when I get text messages I can use voice control and say "messages" and it'll show me any texts I've gotten. Which I like. But I also notice that there's an "email" function but it says my phone isn't supported. Not that I would ever want to compose an email while driving, but curious what type of phone is supported for that?
  4. Finally, there are two USB ports in the center console storage area, where the armrest is. I like charging my phone while I drive, so I usually tuck the phone in there. But I wish I could snake a wire out of there and leave the phone where it's more visible and accessible. Anyone have any life hacks to make that happen? For example, my previous car (an Audi) had a small channel that a wire could exit even when the armrest was closed. I don't see anything super obvious...
Anyways, thanks everyone. Love all the love for owners in here, and I figure you guys will help get me sorted!
The following users liked this post:
Dieseldan9 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Originally Posted by old_dude_55
Hey everyone, I'm a new C43 owner and I absolutely love the car. I've been driving it almost a week now, and here are some things I'm wondering. I don't view these as negatives, per se, but they are things I'm curious about:
  1. It appears that no matter what dynamic setting I turn the car off with, it always resets to "C" for comfort mode. It looks like the manual confirms this, but I'm wondering if there are any workarounds?
  2. Same thing goes for the auto start/stop function. With the car turning on "C" mode this gets activated as well. I've never owned a car that's done this, so it's still a bit jarring to me when it happens. Any way to toggle that off so I don't have to press the button each time I start the car?
  3. I have an iPhone. With the COMMAND system, when I get text messages I can use voice control and say "messages" and it'll show me any texts I've gotten. Which I like. But I also notice that there's an "email" function but it says my phone isn't supported. Not that I would ever want to compose an email while driving, but curious what type of phone is supported for that?
  4. Finally, there are two USB ports in the center console storage area, where the armrest is. I like charging my phone while I drive, so I usually tuck the phone in there. But I wish I could snake a wire out of there and leave the phone where it's more visible and accessible. Anyone have any life hacks to make that happen? For example, my previous car (an Audi) had a small channel that a wire could exit even when the armrest was closed. I don't see anything super obvious...
Anyways, thanks everyone. Love all the love for owners in here, and I figure you guys will help get me sorted!
Best of luck with the new ride.
1 & 2. It will default to both C mode and On/Off every time you start the car. To start in S+ press the starter button twice (foot OFF the brake), go to S+, then press the starter again with your foot down. (burble anyone)
3. This feature is useless. It won't let you dictate a message while driving.
4. Look towards the rear of the trap doors. There are 2 notches to snake the cord through.
The following 2 users liked this post by cenzo86:
Dieseldan9 (10-20-2017), old_dude_55 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by cenzo86
Best of luck with the new ride.
1 & 2. It will default to both C mode and On/Off every time you start the car. To start in S+ press the starter button twice (foot OFF the brake), go to S+, then press the starter again with your foot down. (burble anyone)
3. This feature is useless. It won't let you dictate a message while driving.
4. Look towards the rear of the trap doors. There are 2 notches to snake the cord through.
Wow, thank you very much for the speedy response! Very helpful.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
I definitely have to try out the process for starting in S+. That should get rid of the auto start/stop and crank up the exhaust as well!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by genesisknight
I definitely have to try out the process for starting in S+. That should get rid of the auto start/stop and crank up the exhaust as well!
It's not as great as it seems to be honest. The car sounds really loud for about 2 seconds and then you can audibly hear something close and the exhaust sound gets substantially muted.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Wow, thank you very much for the speedy response! Very helpful.
Also, I feed the cord through the front / center of the armrest - near the locking mechanism. It works for thin round cords, and might for flat ones too.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
There's an aftermarket solution for Eco Start/Stop and Dynamic Select mode on startup - https://www.midcityengineering.com/product/eco205/

Re: cord from the center console, I run my cord out the front seem as depicted in the post above with the red circle. Alternatively, the doors do close with the cord some straight out the middle between them. It essentially secures the cord so you can't pull and unplug, but it is a little tight. I go back and forth depending on where I end up setting my phone.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
There's an aftermarket solution for Eco Start/Stop and Dynamic Select mode on startup - https://www.midcityengineering.com/product/eco205/

Re: cord from the center console, I run my cord out the front seem as depicted in the post above with the red circle. Alternatively, the doors do close with the cord some straight out the middle between them. It essentially secures the cord so you can't pull and unplug, but it is a little tight. I go back and forth depending on where I end up setting my phone.
Did you purchase that controller from mid city?

How is it installed?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
It's not as great as it seems to be honest. The car sounds really loud for about 2 seconds and then you can audibly hear something close and the exhaust sound gets substantially muted.
Cold starts are always a great sound until the engine revs down as it warms up.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
1&2 can not be done. I inquired if they could be done while being tuned, the answer is no for that as well.

3. Not sure

4. Like everyone else mentioned, I snake the cable through the front.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
Did you purchase that controller from mid city?

How is it installed?
I personally do not have this, but others here do. They'd have to chime in on feedback & install.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 359 Likes on 231 Posts
... or set up an "Individual" setting that's to your liking -- I use sport drivetrain and steering and comfort for others (and I press ignition button twice w/o brake, select Individual and am ready to go w/o eco-auto/shutoff crap).