Sponsored by:

C43 AMG standard exhaust

Old 10-21-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
C43 AMG standard exhaust

Hello everyone,
good evening.
i put down 10% down payment for a 2016 c43 (used 1153kms) today.
after some research, the PE is highly recommended from everyone here. I don’t think my car has it and I would like to ask, can I install the AMG PE without breaking the factor warranty ? Is it possible to install the AMG PE without dealership visit?
thank you very much and I’m already very excited about the C43!!!!!!!! Yah!!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Originally Posted by stevolee
Hello everyone,
good evening.
after some research, the PE is highly recommended from everyone here. I don’t think my car has it and I would like to ask, can I install the AMG PE without breaking the factor warranty ? Is it possible to install the AMG PE without dealership visit?
Anything is possible it's how much money you want to invest trying to do it. For simplicity i'm going to say it's probably not worth it for you to try and get the PE after the fact. Your best option is just going with an aftermarket exhaust option. However i'm not sure how aftermarket exhausts sound compared to the PE. I would spring for the PE already on the car personally but you may not have that option available since you already put down a deposit.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:42 PM

W204
Thanks for your comment. Right, it’s too much to install the PE. I Watched some YouTube video and some people they have their resonator and muffler deleted. Is it bad for the car?

Originally Posted by jerhu
Anything is possible it's how much money you want to invest trying to do it. For simplicity i'm going to say it's probably not worth it for you to try and get the PE after the fact. Your best option is just going with an aftermarket exhaust option. However i'm not sure how aftermarket exhausts sound compared to the PE. I would spring for the PE already on the car personally but you may not have that option available since you already put down a deposit.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320
I would chime in here .. yes, everybody seems to insist that the PE option is mandatory. I think this is a "know thyself" question. It's a visceral thing .. doesn't make your car any faster or perform any better, just gives you "that" sound. There are people who want to be seen, people who want to be heard, and people who just appreciate driving a nice-looking, high-performance vehicle. Just saying I don't think it's "crazy" if someone suggest that they can do without that option.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by stevolee
Hello everyone,
good evening.
The only problem with this - there's no 2016 C43.

In response to your question - you can't buy a PE from the dealer - has to come from the factory with it. At this time, finding a salvaged one is your only hope.
The following users liked this post:
Lazz83 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 Audi Q5 3.0T, 2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by tpmbz67
I would chime in here .. yes, everybody seems to insist that the PE option is mandatory. I think this is a "know thyself" question. It's a visceral thing .. doesn't make your car any faster or perform any better, just gives you "that" sound. There are people who want to be seen, people who want to be heard, and people who just appreciate driving a nice-looking, high-performance vehicle. Just saying I don't think it's "crazy" if someone suggest that they can do without that option.
I agree with this post. it's all about what you want from the car. Though the PE is pretty awesome sounding...if the car didn't have it available as an option I doubt many people here would turn in their vehicles or purchase something else. That said...like most here I chose to option my car with it because it does sound pretty awesome, and well, sometimes it's nice to have the toys!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
C450
Originally Posted by threefirs
Some countries released the 2016 as a C43 rather than C450. He stated his odometer in kilometers so im guessing he's from one of them.

That being said, I don't know if those countries C43s came with what we would call PE or if they came with the standard C450 exhaust.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
You cannot get factory PE put in after the fact. The best option (and will do pretty much the same thing) is to pick an aftermarket exhaust or have it tuned (don't know what that will do to the warranty). Some Mercedes shops even partner with tuners.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
Originally Posted by jerhu
Your best option is just going with an aftermarket exhaust option. However i'm not sure how aftermarket exhausts sound compared to the PE.
this is the reason why i never replaced my 2016 c450 with aftermarket exhaust. it' like replacing exhaust on a Lamborghini, you changing the Lamborghini sounds.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:28 PM

W204
Thanks for your comment.
indeed I’m not obsessive on the sound, otherwise I still can switch my purchase to a used C63s. I should be satisfied at C43 now (I never test drive though). since I own a 2010 w204 c200 since new and now it is about 180000kms on her , it’s time to get a newer and safer car!

Originally Posted by tpmbz67
Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 PM

W204
Originally Posted by threefirs

In response to your question - you can't buy a PE from the dealer - has to come from the factory with it. At this time, finding a salvaged one is your only hope.
i live in Hong Kong they we have C43 since 2016. Price is expensive here.
C43 AMG right now is about usd97000 without any option.
i bounght mine at around USD87000; I get the ambient lighting and sunroof and that’s it.

Another thing that I concern is that the trunk cannot close electronically. I’m thinking to install electronic latch in china which I can close the trunk without getting off the car while I drive across China border. It will cost me about usd400 but I’m checking how to do it and not affect the warranty on the car.

now I give up the PE as I better save the money for other things.

thanks for your comment!
Old 10-21-2017, 10:09 PM

W204
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
You cannot get factory PE put in after the fact. The best option (and will do pretty much the same thing) is to pick an aftermarket exhaust or have it tuned (don't know what that will do to the warranty). Some Mercedes shops even partner with tuners.
thanks for your comment.

Since the sound is not a must to me since I haven’t taste the fun of PE, and it’s too costly to install, I’ll settle for what the car has right now
Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 PM

W204
Originally Posted by netboy
this is the reason why i never replaced my 2016 c450 with aftermarket exhaust. it' like replacing exhaust on a Lamborghini, you changing the Lamborghini sounds.
i agree. It is like using a MacBook with a Microsoft mouse, I prefer original fact9ry parts only (for something fairly new)

thanks for your email!
Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
It's definitely a 99% must. What I mean by that is, if finding a car with a PE means that your lease payment goes up by ~$10-20 and/or you have to wait a few extra weeks for it over another car without the PE, then it's absolutely worth it. But if it means that you have to spec a car from scratch and wait 4 months or your lease payment is going to go up $100/month, then no, NOT worth it. It's a fantastic exhaust, and having an "exhaust button" is awesome! But the standard exhaust is still great. It has a great sound and there is no performance difference between them.

Finding one after the fact is going to be near impossible; and expensive. Best chance you'll have is to find a salvage yard that will ship one to you. If they know what they have, then they're going to charge you up the ***. Only other option is to find someone that outright purchased their car and upgraded to an aftermarket unit. But most are on a lease and I highly doubt that anyone would swap it out for an aftermarket unit. Long story short: That's a lot of stars that need to line up.

And lastly, exhaust mods will almost never affect the factory warranty. I would outright say that it never would, but there is always that 0.01% chance of a scenario where something goes wrong within the powertrain and the dealer doesn't want to pay for it so they pull an ******* move and blame an aftermarket exhaust so they can deny your warranty claim. They could do this, but it would be easy to fight. Probably a pain in the ***, but you'd win.. So you don't have to worry about the warranty, but keep in mind that when your lease is up, you have to return the car in 100% stock form. I recently found out that my dealer is going to require me to remove my tint.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
This is a moot point being discussed. Even if you somehow manage to physically put the PE on, it would not work because your ECU would still be a non PE ECU. There is a certain section in the ECU, which is like a binary number, 1 or 0 which turns on a chip in the ECU which gives the PE its characteristics sound. That is why none of tuners can the AWE exhaust the PE sound characteristic for example. The AWE exhaust is loud for sure. But it isn't a going to have the characteristics of a PE. This is all artificial noise brought you to be the skunkworks at AMG, haha.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:35 AM

W204
Very useful comment and opinion indeed! I still haven’t driven the car yet.
let me try tomorrow and see how the stock exhaust sound like perhaps most people, reading this post, haven’t heard of the stock exhaust sound?

another thing I would want to know. How many of you have stock exhaust system? And who have the PE system?

Originally Posted by sean1.8t
It's definitely a 99% must. What I mean by that is, if finding a car with a PE means that your lease payment goes up by ~$10-20 and/or you have to wait a few extra weeks for it over another car without the PE, then it's absolutely worth it. But if it means that you have to spec a car from scratch and wait 4 months or your lease payment is going to go up $100/month, then no, NOT worth it. It's a fantastic exhaust, and having an "exhaust button" is awesome! But the standard exhaust is still great. It has a great sound and there is no performance difference between them.

Finding one after the fact is going to be near impossible; and expensive. Best chance you'll have is to find a salvage yard that will ship one to you. If they know what they have, then they're going to charge you up the ***. Only other option is to find someone that outright purchased their car and upgraded to an aftermarket unit. But most are on a lease and I highly doubt that anyone would swap it out for an aftermarket unit. Long story short: That's a lot of stars that need to line up.

And lastly, exhaust mods will almost never affect the factory warranty. I would outright say that it never would, but there is always that 0.01% chance of a scenario where something goes wrong within the powertrain and the dealer doesn't want to pay for it so they pull an ******* move and blame an aftermarket exhaust so they can deny your warranty claim. They could do this, but it would be easy to fight. Probably a pain in the ***, but you'd win.. So you don't have to worry about the warranty, but keep in mind that when your lease is up, you have to return the car in 100% stock form. I recently found out that my dealer is going to require me to remove my tint.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:37 AM

W204
Your useful info info definitely takes off my desire to try to install the PE ,. At least I don’t think to think and plan how to install it. I’m glad that I asked ! It’s much better than install the PE and found out it wouldn’t work this way. Haha

Originally Posted by munis
This is a moot point being
discussed. Even if you somehow manage to physically put the PE on, it would not work because your ECU would still be a non PE ECU. There is a certain section in the ECU, which is like a binary number, 1 or 0 which turns on a chip in the ECU which gives the PE its characteristics sound. That is why none of tuners can the AWE exhaust the PE sound characteristic for example. The AWE exhaust is loud for sure. But it isn't a going to have the characteristics of a PE. This is all artificial noise brought you to be the skunkworks at AMG, haha.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
This is a moot point being discussed. Even if you somehow manage to physically put the PE on, it would not work because your ECU would still be a non PE ECU. There is a certain section in the ECU, which is like a binary number, 1 or 0 which turns on a chip in the ECU which gives the PE its characteristics sound. That is why none of tuners can the AWE exhaust the PE sound characteristic for example. The AWE exhaust is loud for sure. But it isn't a going to have the characteristics of a PE. This is all artificial noise brought you to be the skunkworks at AMG, haha.
I don't think this is true. What "PE characteristics" are you referring to? The crackles and pops? Because you get those when you put the car in 'Sport' or 'Sport+' modes. There technically may be a specific PE parameter in the c43 ECU but I don't think it matters in actual practice. The only thing that truly makes a difference is that the standard exhaust always uses the rear mufflers whereas the PE has valves that bypass the rear mufflers entirely which gives it the louder sound. Same exhaust crackles and pops but they are amplified due to less restrictions (mufflers).
Old 11-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
na
Well, if you need any help, we gotcha! Just give us a call! +1-888-875-2958
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
I don't think this is true. What "PE characteristics" are you referring to? The crackles and pops? Because you get those when you put the car in 'Sport' or 'Sport+' modes. There technically may be a specific PE parameter in the c43 ECU but I don't think it matters in actual practice. The only thing that truly makes a difference is that the standard exhaust always uses the rear mufflers whereas the PE has valves that bypass the rear mufflers entirely which gives it the louder sound. Same exhaust crackles and pops but they are amplified due to less restrictions (mufflers).
May be that is the case for C450s. But for the C43s without PEs, the ECU does not come with the burble tune that comes with C43s with PE. With an aftermarket exhaust, you would get the upshift braps, but you won't get the overruns.The ECU has a certain section allocated for sound profiling which is untouched in the non PE cars. And any of the tuners have yet to access it as it is locked by Mercedes. As soon as they crack it, it should be possible to have the same sound as PE makes.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
May be that is the case for C450s. But for the C43s without PEs, the ECU does not come with the burble tune that comes with C43s with PE. With an aftermarket exhaust, you would get the upshift braps, but you won't get the overruns.The ECU has a certain section allocated for sound profiling which is untouched in the non PE cars. And any of the tuners have yet to access it as it is locked by Mercedes. As soon as they crack it, it should be possible to have the same sound as PE makes.
So you're saying a c43 w/o PE with AWE exhaust is going to be quieter than a C43 with factory PE exchanged for AWE exhaust?

Sounds a bit hogwash but I don't personally know the details of such.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts
C43 AMG
All I can tell you is that now that I have owned a vehicle with the PE exhaust any purchasing decision (moving to an E63s AMG shortly here) I make is based on whether that model has it as an option or not. The smile on my face every time I hear that exhaust note I truly feel like a kid again. Since I got my c43 i haven't ridden my Ducati as much, I would have never thought a car could get me distracted from riding like this. The truly amazing thing about it is you can transform your car from sports car to luxury sedan depending on your mood or which Metallica song is on the radio

Retro fitting a PE exhaust is not supported or recommended by Merc due to the complexity of the retro fit. I have no interest in major mods as I have had nothing but issues with any major component I have modified in the past. So I try to go to the well once when I buy something.

I highly recommend it.

Last edited by hatata; 11-10-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
C43 2017
Originally Posted by hatata
All I can tell you is that now that I have owned a vehicle with the PE exhaust any purchasing decision (moving to an E63s AMG shortly here) I make is based on whether that model has it as an option or not. The smile on my face every time I hear that exhaust note I truly feel like a kid again. Since I got my c43 i haven't ridden my Ducati as much, I would have never thought a car could get me distracted from riding like this. The truly amazing thing about it is you can transform your car from sports car to luxury sedan depending on your mood or which Metallica song is on the radio

Retro fitting a PE exhaust is not supported or recommended by Merc due to the complexity of the retro fit. I have no interest in major mods as I have had nothing but issues with any major component I have modified in the past. So I try to go to the well once when I buy something.

I highly recommend it.
Funny you say that about your ducati... same here my poor gixxer collected dust all summer .... theres nothing like ripping corners and no helmet head hair. Its always fun to compare entry exit speeds to the bike.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 AM

C43 amg sedan 2018 4 door
I have c43 2018 and non pe and i regret i didnt find car with it, i thougnt the standard preformance exhaust will have that sound but ya im doing anything i can to get that PE sound .... makes me want to sell the car or trade it in with one that has ....
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 AM

W204
Just get it over with. At first I wanted the PE sound, and I also wanted to sell the car that I just bought.
after I have been driving the c43 for over a year , I don’t care how it sounds. If you turn on s+ mode and you floor the gas, your car will have good enough sound. Now I think the exhaust sounding system is pretty stupid and I’m glad my c43 doesn’t have PE exhaust.

Originally Posted by Mbmhyu
I have c43 2018 and non pe and i regret i didnt find car with it, i thougnt the standard preformance exhaust will have that sound but ya im doing anything i can to get that PE sound .... makes me want to sell the car or trade it in with one that has ....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.