AMR Stage 1 12.22 @ 112.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
AMR Stage 1 12.22 @ 112.1

Looks like the true north is to the rescue again, hahaha. Finally we have some answers. Some of which would not make sense. We had 4 C43s in Cayuga Drag strip that night. My AMR tuned C43 sedan, Mau's identical to mine in options EC V2 sedan, threefirs ECV2 cabriolet, and desi4life's stock sedan. All tuned cars are stage 1.

Firstly, I will start by saying that no, I am not making this stuff up as @mau and @threefirs can verify. The first three slips in this picture really happened. It really was that consistent. And what happened this Friday night was beyond counter intuitive. Threefirs's cabriolet actually went faster than my sedan. I should mention that the temperature was a very chilly 10C and I was on my pretty worn set of summer tires after a previous open car lapping event which I posted previously. So I was loosing some time in the launch. Ideally I think there is another .1 and max .2 here with better temperatures and a new set of tires. I really think a 12.0 flat or a 11.9 might be possible in the absolutely best case scenario. Threefirs's cabriolet time and trap though, I could not make sense out of it. May be you guys can shed some light on that. 12.1 in a 400lbs heavier car really dropped our jaws.

Mau and me switched cars as well to try out a couple of times. I managed a best of 12.4 in his EC V2 sedan. Threefirs tried Mau's sedan as well, and managed a best of 12.3. We had one race where both Mau and me launched together and I have to say that these two tunes are really identical once you get the launch out of the way. The distance between us did not change even by an inch. I think in general we eliminated most of the variables in our comparison between these two stage 1 tunes.

Lastly I would like to provide my humble reviews of both these tunes having driven both of them and I would try my best to be as unbiased as possible. I personally think you cannot go wrong with either of them. Both provides a fantastic amount of power upgrade over the stock tune but the delivery of the power is what I felt is vastly different between these two tunes. ECV2 in my opinion is currently producing significantly more PEAK TORQUE than AMR (please note my emphasis on peak, that is important), and each gear change was causing me to sink back into the chair, such was the ferocity. For the first three gears with V2, the pull really is scary with a capital F. And I would be really honest here, I was a bit concerned about the effects of this on the gearbox in the long scheme of things. But they do have a fantastic warranty in place and I am sure would stand behind their service. AMR on the other hand, I feel like has the torque spread out more evenly throughout the power band, which in my head felt really really satisfying. The AMR tune really felt like a tune that has not been hastily put together in a day or two. I could really feel that there has been some major work that went in behind perfecting the delivery. It felt very linear and smooth, creamy will be the perfect word to describe it. Both these tunes are no jokes but AMR in my very humble opinion felt more satisfying to drive when you are really going at it, may be because the car never feels strained at the leash. It is just a fantastically constant never ending pull. PEAK POWER between these two tunes, I would say is the same. Most importantly, both of these tunes preserves the fantastic noise that those of us with the AMG PE get. EC felt clearly louder, where as AMR makes some naaaasty sounds (in a very good way) on the downshift blips. Also the little quirks we have with the stock car's transmission kind of disappears with both of them. Once again both are fantastic tunes and I do not think you can go wrong with either of them.

Customer service though, um, I would not comment on it and I will let you guys find it out yourself as it might vary from person to person. I will tell this much though, it was something that affected my decision significantly.

Hopefully this would help you guys make a more informed decision.

Lastly I would like to thank Threefirs and Mau for being a fantastic sport and friends. We have a fantastic group of 20 C43 owners in Toronto and is a true testament to the fact that how a car can bring 20 guys together who have nothing in common except for their love for cars.

Last edited by munis; 10-23-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
Nice, congrats and thanks for sharing
Old 10-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Good post.
The following users liked this post:
munis (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by 18bora
Nice, congrats and thanks for sharing
Haha no problem man. Congrats on fully utilizing that JB1.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe
Munis, good stuff. Really like your explanation on the two tunes. You got some good times. You guys are lucky to have a group of coordinated fellas who dont get on one another for the tune they have. Look forward to those 11z!
munis (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
we need to get the cab and the sedan on an actual scale. maybe mercedes messed up on the weights. has anyone weighed thier car at a scale? lol

this is really good data guys! keep up the good work!!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Star4life
we need to get the cab and the sedan on an actual scale. maybe mercedes messed up on the weights. has anyone weighed thier car at a scale? lol

The cab has more weight in the back, was on arguably better stock tires (Continental) then the Pzeros on my sedan and worn out Michelins on the munis' sedan. It ran the 12.1 earlier in the night where the temps were higher, I got there late and my first run with warm tires was 12.3 and it just got worse as the temps dropped. Both sedans were spinning their tires like it was a rear wheel drive car.

It was a fun night, wished we could have had the same cars and runs with better temps, we'll do this again next season hopefully with better tires and warmer temps. I also was running 93 octane vs 94 the Cab and munis's sedan was running however I doubt it made any difference, the torque app and bluetooth dongle was reporting 0 knocks.

Both tunes do compliment the car, I like the tune in general as it really does give a boost in comfort mode which is where my car is in my daily drive to work and back, it does not feel sluggish at all.

Last edited by mau108; 10-23-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 359 Likes on 231 Posts
we need to get the cab and the sedan on an actual scale.
As one third-party datapoint, you can get the F/R weights for the sedan and coupe via the "Download Test Sheet" button on these pages:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...an-test-review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pe-test-review

(also enables us to calculate the F/R weight ratios)
Lazz83 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by mau108
The cab has more weight in the back, was on arguably better stock tires (Continental) then the Pzeros on my sedan and worn out Michelins on the munis' sedan. It ran the 12.1 earlier in the night where the temps were higher, I got there late and my first run with warm tires was 12.3 and it just got worse as the temps dropped. Both sedans were spinning their tires like it was a rear wheel drive car.

It was a fun night, wished we could have had the same cars and runs with better temps, we'll do this again next season hopefully with better tires and warmer temps. I also was running 93 octane vs 94 the Cab and munis's sedan was running however I doubt it made any difference, the torque app and bluetooth dongle was reporting 0 knocks.

Both tunes do compliment the car, I like the tune in general as it really does give a boost in comfort mode which is where my car is in my daily drive to work and back, it does not feel sluggish at all.
thanks for the info. very excited to get a tune in spring!!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:11 PM

2020 GLC 63
Originally Posted by Star4life

Most tracks have a scale. With me in it, my car is around 3955-4035, it depends how much gas is in the tank and how much junk is in the trunk.
Star4life (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by 18bora
Most tracks have a scale. With me in it, my car is around 3955-4035, it depends how much gas is in the tank and how much junk is in the trunk.
Do you have the pano sunroof? I know you're on 18" rims. The weight looks about right.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 PM

2020 GLC 63
Originally Posted by threefirs
Do you have the pano sunroof? I know you're on 18" rims. The weight looks about right.
No, pano.