Sponsored by:

Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 mercedes 300
Problems

So recently I’ve had my car tuned be AMR an ever since there’s been 3 check engine lights an 3 times my cars lost all power. Can’t do anything till you come to a complete stop. And even then the car is spitting and sputtering really bad. I’ve dropped it off and the dealer has replaced a sensor and now are ordering pins for a connector. I’m still not convinced this is going to fix my issue. Is it the tune? Anyone else with amr tune have issues. It only happens when I give her the dinnah an tooling on it pretty good. Any input would be greatly appreciated attached are codes that pop up. Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts
c43 Amg coupe
Did you contact AMR about the issue? I’m sure they’d attempt to work through it with you. You also need the codes responsible for the cel by plugging into the obd port.

Wish I could help beyond that. Good luck. Let us know how it goes in case others run into the same problem..

Last edited by DVision44; 10-31-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
It's looks like you went into limp mode. Sorry to be that guy, but it could be almost anything from a bad sensor, to overheating, to your tune causing havoc.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
What were the codes, though? I would imagine there was one for a sensor if the dealer replaced it. This would obviously cause limp mode.

Also, was the car throwing codes pre tune? I know the removal guide says to scan the car or if you went to them physically, they would do it. There could have been an underlying problem before you even got tuned.

Have the dealer go through everything and also make sure all the software updates are done. I know there was a fuel pump one that was mandatory because without it some people were going into limp.

Just my two cents, good luck!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by morehartd
So recently I’ve had my car tuned be AMR an ever since there’s been 3 check engine lights an 3 times my cars lost all power. Can’t do anything till you come to a complete stop. And even then the car is spitting and sputtering really bad. I’ve dropped it off and the dealer has replaced a sensor and now are ordering pins for a connector. I’m still not convinced this is going to fix my issue. Is it the tune? Anyone else with amr tune have issues. It only happens when I give her the dinnah an tooling on it pretty good. Any input would be greatly appreciated attached are codes that pop up. Thanks again.
I've had this exact thing happen to my Eurocharged tuned C43... took it to the dealer initially and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They said it was throwing a torque code. Eurocharged tried to load other versions of the tune onto the car but nothing was working. They ended up taking the tune off and reverting the ECU back to stock... never happened again. I've been hesitant to tune my car ever since.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
This is definitely tune related.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by aggies15
I've had this exact thing happen to my Eurocharged tuned C43... took it to the dealer initially and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They said it was throwing a torque code. Eurocharged tried to load other versions of the tune onto the car but nothing was working. They ended up taking the tune off and reverting the ECU back to stock... never happened again. I've been hesitant to tune my car ever since.
Just curious - did this happen to you when you were in Cruise Control on the EC tune? If so, this issue was discovered and now fixed in V2.
The following users liked this post:
sales@eurocharged.com (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 525 Posts
c
I would be wary of having my car at the dealership with a tune and it throwing an engine code. They can easily flag your car and say that the drivetrain warranty is no longer valid (if they discover the tune or think it's causing the issues).
Old 11-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'17 MB C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by threefirs
How do you figure? We do not know what the codes are or have any idea what is happening. I agree with Getmercd because if the dealer is changing sensors and connectors, that must mean it threw a code for that and is a clear cause of the issue. The dealer isn't going to just change a sensor because they feel like it and think it could help. One of those codes must have been for it.

People are quick to blame the tune, but if there is a mechanical issue, the car is not going to perform.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:35 AM

'17 C43 Coupe
Just curious - did this happen to you when you were in Cruise Control on the EC tune? If so, this issue was discovered and now fixed in V2.
I wasn't. I tried driving every possible way (limiting acceleration, speed, etc.) and limp mode was still being triggered every 10 minutes or so (made it a huge hassle to get the car back to Eurocharged). Not sure if it's true or not, but I noticed that the issue got progressively worse over time. The time between the first time it occurred and the subsequent time was days... and then it became hours... minutes... My car was basically non-driveable towards the end of it.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Can you describe a bit more when exactly it happened? Like I know you were giving her the "dinner", but like in what gear and what speed? Also around what RPM? I doubt the dealership would be able to help with this one. Your best bet is to just let the tune settle in. Just keep driving the car in sports + and it should go away normally as the car learns your driving.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 AM

'17 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by 17merc43
How do you figure? We do not know what the codes are or have any idea what is happening. I agree with Getmercd because if the dealer is changing sensors and connectors, that must mean it threw a code for that and is a clear cause of the issue. The dealer isn't going to just change a sensor because they feel like it and think it could help. One of those codes must have been for it.

People are quick to blame the tune, but if there is a mechanical issue, the car is not going to perform.
I can basically guarantee you that this is from the tune. I had the same issue and when the tune was removed, it never happened again.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:38 AM

It would help to know the code but my guess is a Torque Limiter issue. This is tune related - be naive as you want.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I personally do not know of any stock car having a torque limiter related code. It is all the tuned cars. I contacted a bunch of guys who were having this issue. And this is just not AMR alone. OE and EC guys previously had the same problem. It is kind of unique to certain cars, because a lot of the other guys are bullet proof with a tune. The code that is thrown is P061A or P061B, both for over torque protection. This is only triggered by a torque spike when you are around 4k rpm in 4th or 5th gear and you put the pedal to the medal. The car requests the engine for a lot of torque and sometimes that number is really high with a tune, that is what throws the car into limp. When you are stock, the car never requests so much torque, so no matter what you do, you will never trigger this code. There is a solution here for sure, but I think it has to come from the tuner, I doubt whether changing any sensors would help.

There is a guy here called heyitsfish, he had the same problem with OE and his one went away with time. So did mine. My suggestion would be to drive the car for a few days. Let the tune settle in. It should go away.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
why!! these threads always make me feel hesitant about any tune. dinan or bms piggy back now? these are probably isolated issues. tuned in to see resolution.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mercedes E63 AMG
So you had a bad sensor and busted pins for a connector and your blaming the tune? lol interesting....

Hey guys, so recently just bought my 2017 c43. Loved, couldn't be anymore happy with it, well like everyone maybe I wanted a little more out of it. So I got in touch with the guys at AMR to have it tuned up. Very excitied about this so they strap my car to the Dyno an do base runs he's not impressed with the numbers, so we press forward with the tune, do pulls after an still wasn't impressed with numbers. He seems to think I'm not getting boost to my turbos an need to bring it back to the dealer. Giving me some suggestions. Anyone having problems with there turbos? Any other tips besides these.
1) hard reset of the ECU
2) Check intercooler piping as well as intercooler itself
3) Check electronic boost control solenoid (may be defective)
4) Vehicle did have a P0601A code stored in the ECU (resseting it did not fix the problem)
5) Check end tanks on intercooler core to ensure not leaking or separated from core
6) Check turbochargers themselves as well as wastegate actuators
Thanks for all input.
I knew your name looked familiar! Here is a quote from your other thread. Seems your car had issues before even tuning the vehicle.

I find it interesting that you did not mention fixing ANY of the above listed items. Are you looking for a magic fix? lol

Link to your thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...000-miles.html

Why don't you let the dealer fix everything on your list? Did you contact AMR? Even if its not tuning related, they are very knowledgeable when it comes to Mercedes?
The following 2 users liked this post by Blacked out E63:
17merc43 (11-01-2017), Star4life (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Star4life
why!! these threads always make me feel hesitant about any tune. dinan or bms piggy back now? these are probably isolated issues. tuned in to see resolution.
I would not think any powerful piggy back will save you from this. This is the car protecting itself from a torque spike. In other words, the nannies are doing exactly what they were designed to do. Full ECU tunes are pushing a lot of power and torque, with that comes these issues. If you have any piggy back which is pushing torque outputs like this, it would trigger this code as well.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by munis
I would not think any powerful piggy back will save you from this. This is the car protecting itself from a torque spike. In other words, the nannies are doing exactly what they were designed to do. Full ECU tunes are pushing a lot of power and torque, with that comes these issues. If you have any piggy back which is pushing torque outputs like this, it would trigger this code as well.
This.

It's a tune. This platform is new. The tuners will work this **** out but I would not bet on this being a MB issue.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'17 MB C43 Sedan
It would help to know the code but my guess is a Torque Limiter issue. This is tune related - be naive as you want.
It is a universal fact that if the car has an underlying problem (you may not know it has one) and you amplify everything (aka a tune) then problems are now amplified with it. He could have had a faulty sensor and now that the car has more power, the sensor can't handle it, throwing it into limp. Like I said, the dealer isn't going to spend money and replace sensors ***** nilly, so that must have been an issue. This applies to any tune, not just AMR.

Tuning a car in general rips off any band-aides that are there, whether you know they are there or not.

Furthermore, there was clearly a plethora of issues pre tune from the link above, so I would not point the finger so quickly.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is a universal fact that if the car has an underlying problem (you may not know it has one) and you amplify everything (aka a tune) then problems are now amplified with it. He could have had a faulty sensor and now that the car has more power, the sensor can't handle it, throwing it into limp. Like I said, the dealer isn't going to spend money and replace sensors ***** nilly, so that must have been an issue. This applies to any tune, not just AMR.

Tuning a car in general rips off any band-aides that are there, whether you know they are there or not.

Furthermore, there was clearly a plethora of issues pre tune from the link above, so I would not point the finger so quickly.
The guy with the OE tune who was having this issue also got this sensor changed. Did not fix the issue. He just kept driving the car and it went away. Same thing happened with me.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:05 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Hey Guys,

That's a tune issue, and the guys at AMR can get you taken care of easily. We suffered that problem as well originally and have addressed it in our new V2 offerings.

Give them a call to get it straightened out.
AMR Performance (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
18 MB E63S AMG - 17 MB C43 AMG - Much more!
Originally Posted by DVision44
Did you contact AMR about the issue? I’m sure they’d attempt to work through it with you. You also need the codes responsible for the cel by plugging into the obd port.

Wish I could help beyond that. Good luck. Let us know how it goes in case others run into the same problem..
This person was suppose to contact us once the got the vehicle back from the dealer, which he stated he was going to go that week of seeing us. We have not heard back from him since he left here.

Not the cause of the light. This specific vehicle came to our facility with check engine lights as well as boost issues in stock form.

Originally Posted by Blacked out E63
So you had a bad sensor and busted pins for a connector and your blaming the tune? lol interesting....

I knew your name looked familiar! Here is a quote from your other thread. Seems your car had issues before even tuning the vehicle.

I find it interesting that you did not mention fixing ANY of the above listed items. Are you looking for a magic fix? lol

Link to your thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...000-miles.html

Why don't you let the dealer fix everything on your list? Did you contact AMR? Even if its not tuning related, they are very knowledgeable when it comes to Mercedes?

Thank you for posting this original thread link. This gave us the ability to know exactly who this person is.

Yes, we specificly gave the customer that list. Those were ALL of the issues we noticed when the vehicle was brought to our Connecticut location. As you can see from the list, he had codes already active as well historical and pending. We also noticed the vehicle was having boost issues and the factory power plot was not what we are use to seeing. The vehicle was under-powered in stock form. We spent over 4 hours discussing these issues thoroughly as well as going through the vehicle with the customer present.

Like any performance enthusiast, whether AMR Performance tuned or not, we are always willing to help out in anyway we can.

Last edited by AMR Performance; 11-01-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo
munis (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by AMR Performance
This person was suppose to contact us once the got the vehicle back from the dealer, which he stated he was going to go that week of seeing us. We have not heard back from him since he left here.

Not the cause of the light. This specific vehicle came to our facility with check engine lights as well as boost issues in stock form.

Thank you for posting this original thread link. This gave us the ability to know exactly who this person is.

Yes, we specificly gave the customer that list. Those were ALL of the issues we noticed when the vehicle was brought to our Connecticut location. As you can see from the list, he had codes already active as well historical and pending. We also noticed the vehicle was having boost issues and the factory power plot was not what we are use to seeing. The vehicle was under-powered in stock form. We spent over 4 hours discussing these issues thoroughly as well as going through the vehicle with the customer present.

Like any performance enthusiast, whether AMR Performance tuned or not, we are always willing to help out in anyway we can.

- Robert
Just curious - why did you leave him tuned if he posed all these risks? Car came in with CEL's and you provided him a list of things to have worked on but you were comfortable with sending him off tuned? Not attacking AMR, I was close to getting AMR, and may have considered it if they were local to me. Albeit, very happy with my EC tune. But I think it would be helpful to understand the logic here.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 525 Posts
c
Originally Posted by AMR Performance

- Robert
wait, why would you tune a car that came in with issues? Why assume that type of liability?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My suggestion is, give the car some time to settle. With all the resets, the car is still learning. Stop giving her the "dinnah" a little bit. And just keep driving in sports+ as smoothly as possible. See if that works before you go to MB or AMR. Also for the next few days, if you are on the highway, always stick to the rightmost lane or the left lane, so you can pull over immediately. Avoid driving in the middle lane if you are in sports+.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.