Sponsored by:

Snow Driving, Why Eco Mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320
Snow Driving, Why Eco Mode?

I've read where Eco mode is the preferred setting for snow driving .. wanted to confirm that this is true and if so why?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
There is one a hook if thought that prefers low revs and early upshifts to get you out of the white stuff. Me, I prefer manual mode and ESP off. Let em soon and control it yourself. Imo.
The following users liked this post:
tpmbz67 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Yeah if you've got **** tires, or if you have a 2wd car then the best way to hold traction is to gain and maintain your momentum as smooth as possible. Any abrupt movement like hammering it from a stop or a big increase in RPMs by downshifting will decrease snow/tire friction.

BUT, if you're like me and you combine our kickass AWD with some Blizzaks, then you drive around in S+, Manual mode, and TC turned off as you spend the entire winter driving sideways with a big grin on your face
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Yeah if you've got **** tires, or if you have a 2wd car then the best way to hold traction is to gain and maintain your momentum as smooth as possible. Any abrupt movement like hammering it from a stop or a big increase in RPMs by downshifting will decrease snow/tire friction.

BUT, if you're like me and you combine our kickass AWD with some Blizzaks, then you drive around in S+, Manual mode, and TC turned off as you spend the entire winter driving sideways with a big grin on your face
I've got AS tires .. actually much preferred to the stock Continental performance tires. Realize it's not snow tires but will see how it goes in some light snow this weekend. Only for very occasional snow use.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
pulls off in a higher gear - like the old BMW snowflake option.....
Old 11-15-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
Originally Posted by sean1.8t

/\ this. Additionally, you don't want stiff suspension (S+) in the snow.

OP, take you car out in an empty parking lot (you're familiar with) and test the car's behavior/handling/brakes, just to give you an idea what you can/can't do.... start slow and give yourself a lot of room.

I will do the same with the C43 as soon as we get some snow.