Sponsored by:

W205 C43/450/400/300 Pre MY18 Carplay/Android Retro Fit Attempt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w205 200d
Thanks, I'll check.
This is it how it looks without CD https://otomotopl-imagestmp.akamaize...23-_rev001.jpg
(only sample image)

Story update:
There is an update planned (18/03) for my current HU which suppose to solve issue with the clock. If it would be done, they won't change my HU to the new one. If it will fail the new one will be ordered. Therefore I need to be patient...

Last edited by ziachu; 02-16-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-29-2018, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Just bit the bullet and ordered the new head unit part number. I found it used for $800 so saved some money. Will have it installed shortly and let you all know how it goes. Was getting sick of the glitches.

I found another used one if someone wants. $800 plus ship and you can have it to.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Star4life
Just bit the bullet and ordered the new head unit part number. I found it used for $800 so saved some money. Will have it installed shortly and let you all know how it goes. Was getting sick of the glitches.

I found another used one if someone wants. $800 plus ship and you can have it to.
Finally! Thanks for posting this update. I am ready to bite the bullet too. Please let me know how it turns out for you and what issues you run into. Also, do you happen to have a link to suggest where the head unit can be bought from? I am guessing you will need some coding done, and you will also need a dealer to perform an "Update" or flash the hardware for you. Is that correct?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:05 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Any updates?
Old 06-01-2018, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
i got the headunit through some people i know that scrap cars. they dont have online stuff. if you want it, i would have to order it for you as they normally dont ship and I have an account with them.

Also it has been 2 days, havent even gotten the head unit yet. I am also waiting on the new card reader and cable. But it should be a pretty easy swap. Since it was a used unit with carplay already installed, I am expecting minimal coding required. They other one they have also has carplay, so if its truly plug and play I will let you know. I have a SDS system so either way I can get it to work.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:28 PM

2016 C300 4MATIC
i got the headunit through some people i know that scrap cars. they dont have online stuff. if you want it, i would have to order it for you as they normally dont ship and I have an account with them.

Also it has been 2 days, havent even gotten the head unit yet. I am also waiting on the new card reader and cable. But it should be a pretty easy swap. Since it was a used unit with carplay already installed, I am expecting minimal coding required. They other one they have also has carplay, so if its truly plug and play I will let you know. I have a SDS system so either way I can get it to work.
That sounds great. I am worried that you may have to do some coding in order to get the head unit to work with your car. I remember on older MB vehicles there was a HU unlock code or something of that nature so not sure if that will be needed. Also, I believe I read somewhere else that a new SD card reader and cable shouldn't be needed. It would be interesting to try just the head unit at first to see if it works.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by alyshehata
That sounds great. I am worried that you may have to do some coding in order to get the head unit to work with your car. I remember on older MB vehicles there was a HU unlock code or something of that nature so not sure if that will be needed. Also, I believe I read somewhere else that a new SD card reader and cable shouldn't be needed. It would be interesting to try just the head unit at first to see if it works.

every radio has an unlock code needed. You can obtain it by giving a dealer or mbusa the serial number and vin of the original car it was in and i think you need one other piece of info i forgot at this point to get the code from them. There is no extra coding needed for this part. we will see. I mainly bought the card reader so I can have the apple carplay logo. A lot of money for it, $70, but i like oem installs. I will let you know how it goes.
The following users liked this post:
alyshehata (06-01-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
the scrap yard i ordered from sent the command unit instead of the audio 20 unit. They couldnt find the original audio 20 unit i wanted so they thought the command unit could replace it, which it technically could, but i wanted carplay as I am a huge apple user. Anyway they are sending me thier last audio 20 unit now. Hopefully it is correct part number and I can get this installed!!

I will also have an extra USB hub and wire harness if anyone wants.

will update once I install.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
headunit installed coded and working. love it. will post more detail later this week.

total parts needed,

headunit, wiring harness from headunit to card reader, new card reader.

done. plug and play, coding needed though. I recommend buying a used unit.
The following 3 users liked this post by Star4life:
alyshehata (06-10-2018), goy0 (05-24-2020), Marian Stroiu (08-23-2020)
Old 06-10-2018, 12:06 PM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Nice congratulations! I'm assuming the card reader and harness were not needed but you just wanted to make it as OEM as possible? Also, would you be able to post more info about how you obtained the unlock code of the HU and any quirks on kinks you experienced while installing it? I might bite the bullet and buy a used HU soon too
Old 06-10-2018, 02:34 PM

2016 C300 4MATIC
headunit installed coded and working. love it. will post more detail later this week.

total parts needed,

Also, let me know if the second HU is available for purchase still. I might just buy that if you recommend it!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Nice congratulations! I'm assuming the card reader and harness were not needed but you just wanted to make it as OEM as possible? Also, would you be able to post more info about how you obtained the unlock code of the HU and any quirks on kinks you experienced while installing it? I might bite the bullet and buy a used HU soon too
The card reader and harness as far as I can tell are most definitely needed. the wiring harness has a procedure to rewire the stock harness but i think you need to buy more parts so easiest thing was to buy new harness. The card readers have different plugs. Carplay did not work with stock card reader so at this point i would say you need new reader and harness.

Also, let me know if the second HU is available for purchase still. I might just buy that if you recommend it!

they lost the other one so i ended up buying the second one. I have a command unit if you wish to pursue that upgrade. $800 as well
Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM

2016 C300 4MATIC
The card reader and harness as far as I can tell are most definitely needed. the wiring harness has a procedure to rewire the stock harness but i think you need to buy more parts so easiest thing was to buy new harness. The card readers have different plugs. Carplay did not work with stock card reader so at this point i would say you need new reader and harness.

they lost the other one so i ended up buying the second one. I have a command unit if you wish to pursue that upgrade. $800 as well
Thanks. I'm about to order a new AUDIO 20 unit that already has the smartphone integration package as well as the SD reader and the harness. Would you mind telling me what 3rd piece of information I will need to get an unlock code for the HU? I know you mentioned I will need the VIN and the HU serial number, but I'm not sure what else will be needed. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3

total parts needed,

I know you said you are a major Apple user and wanted to do this for CarPlay, but does this "swap" also activate or make Android Auto work, as well? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Thanks. I'm about to order a new AUDIO 20 unit that already has the smartphone integration package as well as the SD reader and the harness. Would you mind telling me what 3rd piece of information I will need to get an unlock code for the HU? I know you mentioned I will need the VIN and the HU serial number, but I'm not sure what else will be needed. Thanks!
i can get you the head unit code as i have tried multiple dealers in the us and none would give to me. just pm me whenever you are ready. you are coding it yourself right?

Originally Posted by Chrisk03
I know you said you are a major Apple user and wanted to do this for CarPlay, but does this "swap" also activate or make Android Auto work, as well? Thanks!

yes it activates android auto as well. new radio supports both
The following 2 users liked this post by Star4life:
alyshehata (06-20-2018), Chrisk03 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
i can get you the head unit code as i have tried multiple dealers in the us and none would give to me. just pm me whenever you are ready. you are coding it yourself right?
That would be awesome. I will do that. I would be down to code it myself, but I'm not sure what the procedure is or if it requires tools. I was assuming the screen will just ask you to enter some kind of numeric code and then it would just work?

Also, side-note - but I may be interested in purchasing the SD card reader and harness from you if they are still available. Thanks!

Last edited by alyshehata; 06-20-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
That would be awesome. I will do that. I would be down to code it myself, but I'm not sure what the procedure is or if it requires tool. I was assuming the screen will just ask you to enter some kind of numeric code and then it would just work?

Also, side-note - but I may be interested in purchasing the SD card reader and harness from you if they are still available. Thanks!
if you dont have a star diag system (dealer tool) either real or clone, you wont be able to install the radio. all the new radios require the tool to insert anti theft code. you cant enter code on screen like older cars. so you either need to buy the tool (approx 3-400), or visit a dealer for activation. but idk if dealer will activate. no one has tried it yet.

the sd card reader/usb hub is sold. so your best bet is to buy new. I am working on sourcing the harness still. will keep you posted. If you need me to purchase a card reader for you, i can. i can get it slightly cheaper than you can get if you walk into the dealer.
alyshehata (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
if you dont have a star diag system (dealer tool) either real or clone, you wont be able to install the radio. all the new radios require the tool to insert anti theft code. you cant enter code on screen like older cars. so you either need to buy the tool (approx 3-400), or visit a dealer for activation. but idk if dealer will activate. no one has tried it yet.

the sd card reader/usb hub is sold. so your best bet is to buy new. I am working on sourcing the harness still. will keep you posted. If you need me to purchase a card reader for you, i can. i can get it slightly cheaper than you can get if you walk into the dealer.
Understood. I will get in touch with my dealer then and see what they say. If not, maybe a local mechanic specializing in Mercedes would be able to help! I will let you know about the card reader. I am hoping it will be included with the head unit I buy, we'll see. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Understood. I will get in touch with my dealer then and see what they say. If not, maybe a local mechanic specializing in Mercedes would be able to help! I will let you know about the card reader. I am hoping it will be included with the head unit I buy, we'll see. Thanks!
let me know if you need the code. if you dnt go to a mercedes dealer you will need the code cause no one else can get it for you if they dont have access to mercedes systems. Some indys may have but its an expensive subscription.
alyshehata (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Star - Any thought or insight into swapping out my NTG 5/5.5 COMAND unit for the AUDIO20 unit and having it work to get ACP/AA? How about the GLA45 COMAND with ACP/AA into a 43 (GLC in my case)? This is my biggest disappointment with the vehicle that you couldn't get COMAND with ACP/AA on the 43 and had to choose. I chose the COMAND, but probably should have gone with the Smartphone Integration. Oh well, thanks for your post and help!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Same here, i had to choose and chose the navi option and did not do enough research and thought i could unlock ACP easily but turns out it's nearly impossible with NTG 5/5.5. The navi btw is terrible.
Anyhow, can the used HU be updated offline with the right theft code for my car, then shipped, and installed? Thanks for doing a lot of the leg work and trial and error!

Last edited by eling23; 06-20-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Star - Any thought or insight into swapping out my NTG 5/5.5 COMAND unit for the AUDIO20 unit and having it work to get ACP/AA? How about the GLA45 COMAND with ACP/AA into a 43 (GLC in my case)? This is my biggest disappointment with the vehicle that you couldn't get COMAND with ACP/AA on the 43 and had to choose. I chose the COMAND, but probably should have gone with the Smartphone Integration. Oh well, thanks for your post and help!
yes you can swap the command for audio 20. the only thing I am unsure of is if the bigger screen is compatible with the audio 20. Please do the swap and let us know I wouldnt mind installing the bigger screen on my audio 20!! it should be plug and play. minus usb wiring as mentioned. you may need to swap screen to smaller screen if resolution is messed up.

Originally Posted by eling23
Same here, i had to choose and chose the navi option and did not do enough research and thought i could unlock ACP easily but turns out it's nearly impossible with NTG 5/5.5. The navi btw is terrible.
Anyhow, can the used HU be updated offline with the right theft code for my car, then shipped, and installed? Thanks for doing a lot of the leg work and trial and error!
anytime power is disconnected from the headunit, they go into anti theft mode. so you would need a dealer or dealer tool and code to reactivate.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 PM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Whoops. Looks like the place I was about to buy it from can't find the head-unit.

Star4life, I think it's the same place you purchased your HU from since they mentioned they sold the last 2 to someone in Michigan
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Whoops. Looks like the place I was about to buy it from can't find the head-unit.

Star4life, I think it's the same place you purchased your HU from since they mentioned they sold the last 2 to someone in Michigan

saw mill? Did they make you create an account? How much did they offer the unit for, i feel like i got ripped off since it was last one...
Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
saw mill? Did they make you create an account? How much did they offer the unit for, i feel like i got ripped off since it was last one...
Yup that's the one. They didn't make me create an account and they initially said it would be $600 but then they couldn't find it. I think you mentioned you bought yours for $800? Not sure why the difference, but at least you have one now

EDIT - You don't happen to know where on earth I can find one right? I've looked everywhere...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W205 C43/450/400/300 Pre MY18 Carplay/Android Retro Fit Attempt