C450 or C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
C450 or C43

Long time reader, first time poster.

Looking to purchase a C450 or C43, obviously the c450 is cheaper than the c43. Just wondering if the extra money is worth it. I've read through quite a bit of the threads out there but haven't seen specific thread for this. From my understanding the main differences are: 7 gears vs 9 gears, and the performance exhaust. Besides that there doesn't seem to be a big difference, or am I incorrect?

Two of the big questions I have:
Reliability: Does either model stand out?
Sound: Noticeable difference between during a regular driving commute, while not in sport+

Also, I've noticed that some of the C450's have the external AMG badging on the back, while others don't. I couldn't find anything on this, anyone know if there is a difference?

Would love to get your take on if the c43 is worth the extra money over the c450 and why?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 683 Likes on 538 Posts
c
c450 has 67/33 bias towards rear while the c43 is 69/31. Other than that you are well informed. Transmission change is the main reason you'd want a c43 over a c450.

The AMG badging was done by some late model c450s still on lot, however not common. If you need to really know, I'd look at the calipers, the c450 will note "Mercedes Benz" while the c43 will not.

You're looking at used, exclusively? Not sure what the price difference would be, but I would imagine they have similar value in the used market - we're not yet into the territory where enthusiasts are hunting for a specific car at a mark up. I would say similar optioned cars with 2016 c450 vs 2017 c43, the c43 is probably worth ~5k more - and that has more to do with it being a newer model year than the other differences between the cars.

Last edited by alexasa; 12-12-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
^Yeah pretty much. The performance exhaust w/ the button is really sweet and something I wish I had available for my car at the time, but it's not something I ever dwell on. Only time I ever think about it actually is when I come on here lol. The 9spd vs 7spd isn't really a relative advantage. Other than that, they're the same car. I would get whatever car you can find with the best deal. If the cars are similar in price or maybe the 43 w/ PE is a few hundred more, or makes your payment $10 more per month, then I'd definitely go with the 43. Other than that, I'd just go with the best deal I could find.

Also, for anyone buying a used car, I'd recommend doing an extended test drive to make sure the transmission doesn't have any harsh shifts. Mainly the 2>3 and 4>5 shifts.... And make sure to point out any rattles in the interior (sedan only) before purchase as they won't be as motivated to fix them after purchase.
The following users liked this post:
jevsays (03-26-2019)
Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
^That makes me feel 100x better. I dwell on small stuff like that and was trying to figure out if it was worth 10k give or take. This might be a dumb question, but what's the best way to test for the harsh shifts? Do you try to accel right at the point when you know it's shifting to see how it handles extra throttle? Or just drive normal and watching for 2>3 and 4>5?

Was this mainly on the 450 or c43 also?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG
I test drove both the C43 and C450 (and I was actually about to purchase an S4!).

First things first, I'm ALWAYS going to buy a used car .. albeit very low miles and CPO. Unless I win the lottery, I'm never buying a new car because it will depreciate more than I want right after I drive it off the lot. That being said, there were no used C43s when I was looking, but 2 used C450s in my area. While test driving both cars, they really did feel the same. I barely noticed a difference in the 7 vs 9 gears.. I don't put an advantage on either.

Like you mentioned, other than a few minor cosmetic things on the outside like the 'C43' vs 'C450' badge and the 'Mercedes Benz' on the calipers, as well as the 7 vs 9 gear transmission... the cars are the exact same... same brakes, suspension, AMG tuned engine, interior, etc. Only difference is C450 is 2016 and C43 is 2017 (MB loves messing with names).

So I could either get a C450 in the color I wanted with all the bells and whistles I wanted, or spend 10k more on a new C43 with a few less bells and whistles. So of course I went with the C450. And I couldn't be happier. Now, I imagine there would probably be a few used C43s out there now, unlike when I was looking. If they had super low miles and were at the right price, I would get it over the C450, only because it is a year newer (depreciation value).

I know a lot of people get bored of driving their new car after a while, but it's been 6 months and I still love driving it.

I can tell you that both come stock with Pirelli run flats and most people, including myself, hate them. The ride is rough and they where out FAST. I put new Michelin PS AS on there and much better drive and smoother.

As far as the 'harsh shifts', there are several threads about this on here. I experienced it several times, only in Sport+ mode. Usually when I was in 1st and slowly crawling like at a stop sign about to turn and it would jerk until I put it into 2nd. Happened at an intersection too and I looked like a f'ing fool like I didn't know how to drive a car. But in all it only happened about 5 times.. and it seems the computer learns your driving style so it hasn't happened in months. Some people say you need to take it in to get the ECU reprogrammed or whatever... you will get 10 different answers on this. I think it is just the way the car was made.. it's meant to be sensitive in Sport+ mode.

I'm in a big market, but I've only seen I think 3 other C450s and 2 C43s on the road since I got my C450 6 months ago. I've seen 1 C450 with the AMG badge on the back, 1 with the 4matic badge on the back and 1 with no extra badge. I didn't like just the C450 on the back .. wanted it balanced, but also didn't want to de-badge, so I put the AMG back on the back myself (the car is called the C450-AMG anyways).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by imj0257; 12-13-2017 at 07:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by imj0257:
akoby9 (12-14-2017), ecmexchange (12-14-2017)