Piggyback vs MB warranty question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
Piggyback vs MB warranty question

Hi Everyone,
I've been wanting to tune my 2018 C43 cab however it's a lease and I am concerned with the factory MB warranty being affected.

I've been seing some nice posts on the BMS JB1 piggyback which seems to be exactly what I'm in the market for (price and results and easy reversibility), however,
I wonder if it truly is undetectable if I remove the piggyback when I return to the dealer for regular maintenance or warranty service.

If the engine ever had a major problem, would MB be able to know that the car had a piggyback on it even though I would have removed it prior
to taking the car to them with the engine trouble ?

Thanks for your comments
Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Cab
Originally Posted by Wack
Hi Everyone,
I've been wanting to tune my 2018 C43 cab however it's a lease and I am concerned with the factory MB warranty being affected.

I've been seing some nice posts on the BMS JB1 piggyback which seems to be exactly what I'm in the market for (price and results and easy reversibility), however,
I wonder if it truly is undetectable if I remove the piggyback when I return to the dealer for regular maintenance or warranty service.

If the engine ever had a major problem, would MB be able to know that the car had a piggyback on it even though I would have removed it prior

Thanks for your comments
From everything I have read, a tune even a piggyback tune and returned to stock can be detected. Will they is a different question, but it is possible. If you have a failure which could have been caused by the Tune you face exposure.

Whether you lease or own it, I do not think makes much of a difference unless the leasing company gets involved because you have affected the residual value.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments
Both a piggy-back tune and an ECU tune can be detected by MB if they look hard enough. The main difference is that piggy-backs can be removed by you in 5 minutes, as opposed to a tune where you would need to ship it back to the tuner. Like the above guy said, it wouldn't matter if the car is leased or bought if any issues pop up. The warranty is the same for everyone.

With that being said, most reputable tuners will stand by their product if something goes wrong. Don't be afraid to get your feet wet if you're looking to open up your car a bit more.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
Thanks for your comments
I have actually asked BMS the same question after I bought my unit used from another forum member, and here is their response,
" When you flash the ECU a permanent trace is left behind even if flashed to stock. The internal checksum is changed, the ECU stores the peak target load/torque/boost values in a hidden area of memory, flash counters increment, etc. With a well designed piggyback, the ECU is never aware it's making more than the factory power levels so no trace is left behind when removed. Not all piggybacks are well designed, but the BMS Stage1 is
That said, there are certain risks involved in modifying your car, and if you break something running at higher power levels, wither a flash, or a piggyback, you should pay for the resulting damage."

Basically, if you remove it, MB won't know. However, if you break something (axle, driveshaft, trans, diff, etc...), you should man-up and pay for it yourself.

Originally Posted by aggies15
most reputable tuners will stand by their product until something goes wrong.
FTFY
Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 PM

C43 Cab
M
Originally Posted by 18bora
I have actually asked BMS the same question after I bought my unit used from another forum member, and here is their response,
" When you flash the ECU a permanent trace is left behind even if flashed to stock. The internal checksum is changed, the ECU stores the peak target load/torque/boost values in a hidden area of memory, flash counters increment, etc. With a well designed piggyback, the ECU is never aware it's making more than the factory power levels so no trace is left behind when removed. Not all piggybacks are well designed, but the BMS Stage1 is
That said, there are certain risks involved in modifying your car, and if you break something running at higher power levels, wither a flash, or a piggyback, you should pay for the resulting damage."

Basically, if you remove it, MB won't know. However, if you break something (axle, driveshaft, trans, diff, etc...), you should man-up and pay for it yourself.

FTFY

My understanding is that is. It true. MB can look at engine parameters that are caotured and recorded and from these they can determined if modifications, including piggyback tunes, were in place at one time.
Again, whether they go to these lengths might be another question, but from what I have read a lot of information is capture which can then be analyzed to determine if the car has undergone a tune.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
I dont see how the car can be aware if a piggy back was present, when piggy backs intercept data after the ECU sends them. But then again, I am not the engineer. But...

- AMG Performance Center in town, the sales told me they would not know and they are not able to detect it (a piggy back)
- Dinan told me the same thing
- Racechip told me the same thing
- BMS told me the same thing

However, I put the most stock in the sales at the AMG performance center. He told me this as He was showing me his super super tuned 135i (ecu, headers, intake, meth injection, exhaust, BOV). He and I got into a discussion and I told him I was considering a tune. I asked him the above question and thats what he told me.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:26 PM

2020 GLC 63
Originally Posted by DRLC43
M

My understanding is that is. It true. MB can look at engine parameters that are caotured and recorded and from these they can determined if modifications, including piggyback tunes, were in place at one time.
Again, whether they go to these lengths might be another question, but from what I have read a lot of information is capture which can then be analyzed to determine if the car has undergone a tune.
With a full tune, they can tell immediately even if it was flashed back to stock, since the ECU has to be physically opened (broken seal), flash counter, actual boost logs, etc... But with a piggyback, the ECU will see/log factory settings since the piggyback is fooling the sensor to only see factory boost settings. Basically, the ECU sees/logs factory settings. Maybe If they dig-in a little deeper into fuel trims and see how the ECU is adding fuel (AFR correction) to compensate for the extra "Unseen" boost... maybe.... but even then, it could be blamed on a faulty O2 sensor!
I could be wrong, but I can see MB techs looking into ECU tunes for busted axles, driveshafts, trans, etc.. But, I don't see them looking deeper into it unless you blow the engine.
If you're trying to pass a quick one by MB techs, you have a slim chance with a full ECU tune and a good chance with a piggyback.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:55 PM

C43 Cab
Originally Posted by 18bora
With a full tune, they can tell immediately even if it was flashed back to stock, since the ECU has to be physically opened (broken seal), flash counter, actual boost logs, etc... But with a piggyback, the ECU will see/log factory settings since the piggyback is fooling the sensor to only see factory boost settings. Basically, the ECU sees/logs factory settings. Maybe If they dig-in a little deeper into fuel trims and see how the ECU is adding fuel (AFR correction) to compensate for the extra "Unseen" boost... maybe.... but even then, it could be blamed on a faulty O2 sensor!
I could be wrong, but I can see MB techs looking into ECU tunes for busted axles, driveshafts, trans, etc.. But, I don't see them looking deeper into it unless you blow the engine.
If you're trying to pass a quick one by MB techs, you have a slim chance with a full ECU tune and a good chance with a piggyback.
Again I am not a technical expert on the subject, but I have read several articles that have claimed that based on the data captured on boost and such that if a dealer ( or in one case AMG ) can detect a tune. I would suggest that if this is a big concern, do some additional research as there is a lot of information available on this by just doing a google.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:20 PM

2020 GLC 63

Again I am not a technical expert on the subject, but I have read several articles that have claimed that based on the data captured on boost and such that if a dealer ( or in one case AMG ) can detect a tune. I would suggest that if this is a big concern, do some additional research as there is a lot of information available on this by just doing a google.

A full tune, yes, the dealer will see the added boost, but not with a piggyback.

See the below data from BMS logs:

ECU PSI : is what the ECU sees and records with a piggyback
Target : is what's being requested by BMS and unlike a full tune, the ECU does not see that
Boost : is what you're actually getting, and again..... unlike a full tune, the ECU does not see that either.
Chances of a piggyback car being flagged is very slim, if any vs. a full tune.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 AM

C43 Cab
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments
look at new the posts under Warranty friendly mods. The issue of piggyback tunes is addressed and articulated much better than my effort.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Some people are giving false information if you are leading people to believe they are 100% safe for warranty repairs with a piggy back. It's misleading and just wrong - because the place you bought it said so is a BS reason to share this. I would say - if you want to mod or tune, you have to pay to play, do not expect MB to take the fault for your hobby. There's a reason people end up back at Dinan for warranty repairs, and there is an increased price with the product. If you buy a JB1, proceed at your own risk. The ECU and modules record and store more than PSI - what about the adjusting fuel/air to compensate for the piggyback's increased boost? MB can see that an ECU has been disconnected. This is not black and white.

Last edited by threefirs; 01-17-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by threefirs

Some people are giving false information if you are leading people to believe they are 100% safe for warranty repairs with a piggy back. It's misleading and just wrong - because the place you bought it said so is a BS reason to share this. I would say - if you want to mod or tune, you have to pay to play, do not expect MB to take the fault for your hobby. There's a reason people end up back at Dinan for warranty repairs, and there is an increased price with the product. If you buy a JB1, proceed at your own risk. The ECU and modules record and store more than PSI - what about the adjusting fuel/air to compensate for the piggyback's increased boost? MB can see that an ECU has been disconnected. This is not black and white.
There's no way in Hell a dealership would be able to prove I'm running my wimpy Dinantronics Sport...which only connects to the inlet pressure senor and only boosts pressure by 4.0 psi max. I would not feel guilty in the least if something were to blow at only this small increase in pressure.

The only way they'd detect my piggy-back would be if I were stupid enough to leave it connected when I took the car to the dealership. At most, the only case they would have is a malfunctioning inlet pressure sensor.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by MASSC450
There's no way in Hell a dealership would be able to prove I'm running my wimpy Dinantronics Sport...which only connects to the inlet pressure senor and only boosts pressure by 4.0 psi max. I would not feel guilty in the least if something were to blow at only this small increase in pressure.

The only way they'd detect my piggy-back would be if I were stupid enough to leave it connected when I took the car to the dealership. At most, the only case they would have is a malfunctioning inlet pressure sensor.
You're right, not very likely as that unit barely produces any power - almost pointless to install. But, if they want to go through the lengths, they'll figure it out.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by threefirs

You're right, not very likely as that unit barely produces any power - almost pointless to install. But, if they want to go through the lengths, they'll figure it out.
In fantasy land, maybe...in the real world, they wouldn't waste their time.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:28 PM

C43 Cab
Originally Posted by MASSC450
In fantasy land, maybe...in the real world, they wouldn't waste their time.
sure but not everyone is talking about that tune, some of the numbers being claimed by piggyback tunes are much higher and are likely doing more and leaving a bigger footprint.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 PM

2020 GLC 63

Some of the numbers being claimed by piggyback tunes are much higher and are likely doing more and leaving less footprint.
FTFY
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
sure but not everyone is talking about that tune, some of the numbers being claimed by piggyback tunes are much higher and are likely doing more and leaving a bigger footprint.
Obviously, but I still stand behind my comment about piggy-back tunes...as long as you take them off BEFORE bringing your car to the dealership, it would be tough for the dealership to prove a piggy-back tune was installed...especially if the vehicle never saw track use.

One could counter the issue could have been a malfunctioning sensor or sporadic electrical issue...something ALL make of vehicles are prone to.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
Thanks for your input everyone. Very helpful.
It seems rather clear that the likelihood of them knowing is within an acceptable margin.
I will check out the "warranty friendly mods" section, I did not know it existed.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Thanks for your input everyone. Very helpful.
It seems rather clear that the likelihood of them knowing is within an acceptable margin.
I will check out the "warranty friendly mods" section, I did not know it existed.
Those will be cosmetic mods. Any major power adding mods will not me warranty friendly.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C260
Generally speaking with a flash there is always a trace left behind, and with a properly designed piggyback like the JB1 there is virtually no way to detect it after the fact. That said you should pay for any damages you cause with tuning.