Racechip GTS Black installation help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by CFG
Bluetooth is invaluable.

I was considering ordering the BMS bluetooth unit when I ordered the BMS GPS Dragy unit, but ultimately came to the conclusion that I would only use it once or twice (once to turn it off and another to turn it back on for testing/dyno). BMS doesnt offer any updates for the JB1 currently and they only tune certain cars in general, so I think it is less useful in the BMS than it is in the Racechip.

Racechip offers 1 or 2 free retunes when/if you change your car so you dont need to buy another unit and they tune almost any Turbocharged vehicle (BMS only does BMW Audi/VW and until now the M276). Racechip can also fine tune if you get headers exhaust etc. So Bluetooth is definitely more useful in the Racechip whereas its function in the BMS is pretty limited.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 AMG (W205), 2012 AM Vantage V12, 1989 964
Originally Posted by waisoserious
I was considering ordering the BMS bluetooth unit when I ordered the BMS GPS Dragy unit, but ultimately came to the conclusion that I would only use it once or twice (once to turn it off and another to turn it back on for testing/dyno). BMS doesnt offer any updates for the JB1 currently and they only tune certain cars in general, so I think it is less useful in the BMS than it is in the Racechip.

Racechip offers 1 or 2 free retunes when/if you change your car so you dont need to buy another unit and they tune almost any Turbocharged vehicle (BMS only does BMW Audi/VW and until now the M276). Racechip can also fine tune if you get headers exhaust etc. So Bluetooth is definitely more useful in the Racechip whereas its function in the BMS is pretty limited.
JB4 bluetooth module is a must have option and I would definitely add it down the road. I love the ability to see live boost, IAT, targets...etc.. and to be able to adjust on the fly and data log the results. This feature is awesome and if they decide to go JB4 on the C43 it would provide much more data.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:57 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Just got a dragy. Amazing bargain.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by OC43AMG
JB4 bluetooth module is a must have option and I would definitely add it down the road. I love the ability to see live boost, IAT, targets...etc.. and to be able to adjust on the fly and data log the results. This feature is awesome and if they decide to go JB4 on the C43 it would provide much more data.
Yea that sounds pretty cool. If they ever release a JB4 then I would have to buy a new JB4 unit anyways though but I would add bluetooth then If they ever released a JB4. But when that happens, if it ever happens, I might have already changed cars.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by waisoserious
In short, the JB1 is a fking BARGAIN. They changed the case to make it feel less like a POS so it costs $100 more than before but it is still a bargain even with the more expensive price.
Considering the new JB1 ($475) and the JB4 bluetooth ($140) module and app (~$30 i forget) = ~$ 655.00 its not that cheap anymore but i agree its still the best bang for the buck. I just wished it was more polished. The fact that its not water resistant and the housing is really poor. Mine didnt even close all the way, i zip tied the box so its properly tight.

The GTS Black with Bluetooth is ~ $850.00

I love the JB1 and i think its a great product. I hope they continue to develop it. I think you cannot go wrong with either JB1 or RaceChip GTS Black. I think they put down the same HP numbers but utimately JB1 has more flexibility and the RaceChip is much more polished and complete.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by CFG
Just got a dragy. Amazing bargain.
I will be getting that next!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Former Member

CLS
Amazon has em....

the name scares my donkey.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43 AMG
The Cam Sensor is in different a spot according to Racechip
Is this the correct position for the cam sensor?? "C" because the other guy with the c450 put the cam sensor on another line, I wonder if I should try his and see if there is a power difference.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by aritweets
Is this the correct position for the cam sensor?? "C" because the other guy with the c450 put the cam sensor on another line, I wonder if I should try his and see if there is a power difference.
Like someone else mentioned. I think either cam sensor works. I don't think it makes any difference which one you use. I don't think swapping them makes any more power because i did it.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)
Originally Posted by CFG
Also, Racechip will fine tune it free and all updates are by iPhone!
What do you mean fine tune it free? How does Racechip go about doing this? What exactly do you mean by fine tuning?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Former Member

CLS
Go to their web site. They will tune as you require, and you load it with Bluetooth.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C260
I am giving it some more time. So far it feels identical to the JB1, maybe even giving the JB1 a slight edge. I think the JB1 might have increase boost a little more down low, but im going to give it another 200 miles to get a feel of it. I do miss all of the data that the JB1 logs. GTS black is like a piggyback for dummies, where the JB1 give you a lot more control (but the JB1 hardware looks unfinished compared to the GTS Black.)
They look to be basically identical function wise, with the JB1 giving some extra configuration and custom mapping options. The main difference from what I can see is the price.

On the JB1 as I mentioned in your other post I think you have an earlier one. This is what it looks like.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C260
Thanks, Its strange that the camshaft sensor is different then what BMS showed me for the JB1 (which is on the right side of the engine bay).

Yes the GTS black only has 3 sensor connections.
You can use CAM sensor from either side of engine, as all the tunes do with this is read engine RPM for tuning purposes.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Narry
They look to be basically identical function wise, with the JB1 giving some extra configuration and custom mapping options. The main difference from what I can see is the price.

On the JB1 as I mentioned in your other post I think you have an earlier one. This is what it looks like.

This is the one i had. I ordered it new a month ago.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:23 AM

So what are most of you doing after you install the unit? Do you keep it programmed on Sport, Race or off? Turning it on only when you want to have some fun.

I think after I install mine I will keep it in sport and just use the dynamic settings on the AMG to increase the performance, or is it better to keep it in Race all of the time? I guess it makes no sense installing a chip unless your getting maximum overdrive out of it.

Any thoughts on how people are using the chip?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 AM
Former Member

CLS
Mine is just for occasional fun since I plan to keep the car 7 years.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by CFG
Mine is just for occasional fun since I plan to keep the car 7 years.
Why do you think the chip will significantly lesson the life of the turbos? I think even with the chip on all the time, the car should be good for 100k mi but I could be wrong or are you just being cautious?

I am planning on dumping my C43 before I hit 80k mi or 6 years which ever comes first. I am thinking that leaving the chip on all of the time and driving in Comfort most of the time will give the best of both worlds.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 AM
Former Member

CLS
I have no basis to opine anything other than years of experience flying heavy, Unpressured recips. Engine stress, if there is any, is cumulative and always causes latent, even minor defects to manifest sooner. For example, using an EGT, I never used theoretic lean mixture as I once burned up the valves in an engine doing so.

Do whatever you wish.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by CFG
I have no basis to opine anything other than years of experience flying heavy, Unpressured recips. Engine stress, if there is any, is cumulative and always causes latent, even minor defects to manifest sooner. For example, using an EGT, I never used theoretic lean mixture as I once burned up the valves in an engine doing so.

Do whatever you wish.

Sir I understand you are from a different generation than me and with that said have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I do not know what "flying heavy, unpressured recips" means in relation to this. That being said, your comment in regard to engine stress is relative to a non high performance engine or standard duty engine. The AMG line of motors is designed for abuse day in and day out.

I do not believe adding 3psi of boost max will cause latent or minor defects to arise. If we were running at the edge of this engines capabilities I could agree with you, but disagree with a small bump in performance adversely affecting the engine, if it is properly maintained.

Thank you though, you have jogged my mind to research the correct answer. I do respect your conservative approach in regard to the Racechip though- for me, if I spend the money, I want it on all of the time.

Last edited by Lazz83; 01-31-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Former Member

CLS
Reasonable people can disagree, but physics are immutable.

you asked the question. I gave you my sincere, good faith opinion.

Last edited by removedCFGaccount; 01-31-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CFG
Reasonable people can disagree, but physics are immutable.

you asked the question. I gave you my sincere, good faith opinion.
Yes, I agree you did.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Former Member

CLS
New firmware, but you gotta ask for it. Use the app to load it.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 AM

I recently ordered one of these and am curious.

I am looking for some real world answers on how the tuning went after connecting the unit. I am interested to know how the settings are chosen by the user.

It is my understanding that you start with tune #2 and keep proceeding up the tune numbers until your car either throws a code, bucks or does some other incident that makes you back the tune off to the last tune that worked well. For instance if you were at tune #6 and the car ran great, than tried tune #7 and experienced knocking you would set the tune back at #6 since that is the highest tune the car would accept without running poorly.

From reading some of the posts I understand Tune #6 is the highest people on this board have been able to go.

Also, I did emailed Racechip about the fine tuning but was unable to get an answer I could understand, they are in Germany so I think we had a bit of a language barrier. Can anyone explain how the fine tuning works?

Last edited by Lazz83; 02-08-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by Lazz83
I recently ordered one of these and am curious.

I am looking for some real world answers on how the tuning went after connecting the unit. I am interested to know how the settings are chosen by the user.

It is my understanding that you start with tune #2 and keep proceeding up the tune numbers until your car either throws a code, bucks or does some other incident that makes you back the tune off to the last tune that worked well. For instance if you were at tune #6 and the car ran great, than tried tune #7 and experienced knocking you would set the tune back at #6 since that is the highest tune the car would accept without running poorly.

From reading some of the posts I understand Tune #6 is the highest people on this board have been able to go.

Also, I did emailed Racechip about the fine tuning but was unable to get an answer I could understand, they are in Germany so I think we had a bit of a language barrier. Can anyone explain how the fine tuning works?

there is no language barrier. I’ve dealt with them by email many times in two months. The answers are usually responsive to the question. The Racechip app Provides only three settings and I never set the CHIP manually. All I can tell you is that race and sport plus are thrilling.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by CFG

there is no language barrier. I’ve dealt with them by email many times in two months. The answers are usually responsive to the question. The Racechip app Provides only three settings and I never set the CHIP manually. All I can tell you is that race and sport plus are thrilling.
Well I am having issue with them- specifically with getting them to answer the question I am asking.

Every time I ask them about the "custom tweaking" that you mentioned earlier they know nothing about it. This has nothing to do with Sport or Race selection on bluetooth. Racechip mentions that there are several levels of initial tune for each car and you keep adjusting the level up until the tune level number no longer increases, but causes drivability issues like knocking and bucking.

So CFG are you saying you just plugged in the 3 connections of the racechip, mounted it and were off to the races? You did not have to fine tune the unit at all by going through the steps I mentioned above?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Racechip GTS Black installation help