Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad DIY notes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:54 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Notice both front and rear OEM pads have benz logo stamped on it.

Nevermind, 2 of ate pads have benz logo as well. Other two is covered up.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by z28lt1
Actually, as noted in the first post, my Rear OEM pads were not made in Czech Republic, but Italy, so I wouldn't expect the Czech stamp on them, like the fronts.

EDIT: The stamping on the pads @bhcubed has looks correct so I went back and looked.. I pulled the ones that came off the car that I purchased from the dealer, and the one I took a picture of didn't have the Ate marking, so I initially assumed wasn't there. However, with the writing faded or missing, I checked the others and 2 of them do show evidence of the Ate marking, so I believe what is shown is the real thing.

Here is an updated picture of what I took off last time, and you can make out some of the Ate.
ok. So seems like I got legit pads. The broken seal on the box just made me a little nervous. Thanks for checking. 👍
Old 09-04-2020, 04:30 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Can anyone confirm the torx size for the caliper bolts? I can't seem to find a T45.TIA
Old 09-04-2020, 05:45 PM

Received 179 Likes on 115 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Originally Posted by bhcubed
Can anyone confirm the torx size for the caliper bolts? I can't seem to find a T45.TIA
I'm fairly certain I used a T45 (at least the first time). Should be easy to find. However, I saw a video for someone doing the GLC which should have the same calipers and he used a 7mm hex. A T45 and a 7MM hex are pretty close in size, and both may work -- but only one of them is correct. Next time I'm there, I'll certainly double check it actually uses Torx versus Hex/Allen. I had a friend with a Honda and he said they actually used different ones (Torx versus hex) on the same car, depending on country. I doubt that is the case here with Mercedes. If you are able, take a look and see if the 7MM hex works. If it doesn't fit "properly" I would avoid it, but that might be correct and I may have been wrong mentioning Torx in the first place. Car is not here at the moment, so I can't confirm....

Old 09-05-2020, 03:53 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Yea, it was a T45. Although, it did seem to chew up the bolt a bit though. Also, you don't really need to remove the bolt holding the sensor on. If you unplug the sensor, and the caliper, that gives you enough clearance to get the caliper out and to compress it. I found it a bit easier to connect and disconnect the sensor with it bolted on. Much easier to lift the little clip that holds it in. Trying to hold it in your hand and pull the clip up was a bit challenging. Lol. Thanks for the write up and follow up answers
The following users liked this post:
jonathan358 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 11:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 Mercedes C300 Sport 4Matic AMG Pack (W205)
Very informative thread! Thank you guys
Old 01-28-2021, 04:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Corvette Grand Sport, Mercedes C43 sedan, Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm curious, do you get into service mode for changing the rear brakes the same way for the digital display and the new steering wheel? I tried it and couldn't get it to work. Not that I need to but I'm just trying to learn the tricks to this car before I have to actually do anything.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Corvette Grand Sport, Mercedes C43 sedan, Jeep Grand Cherokee
In case anyone needs this info I figured it out. If you have the new steering wheel and digital dash you do the same procedure as the normal instrument/steering wheel up until you start pushing buttons. Instead of pushing phone call and enter you push on the left hand side of the steering wheel, back button wait for the screen to change, then hit enter. I believe that's what got it working for me. Hold the buttons till you see it change. You may need to play around with sequencing as I only did it once but the key is the correct buttons for the new wheel are back and enter.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 C43 Wagon
Thanks everyone for the thread. Changed the front and rear pads on the weekend on my 2019 C43. Had ~38,500 km on them. Tried out the Powerstop Z23 Ceramic/Carbon fiber pads. Did the switch from OEM hoping for a reduction in brake dust.... Time will tell.
I drive spirited, but am usually not hard on the brakes. My fronts still had ~50% remaining and the rears were ~ 25% remaining.

When ordering parts, order one wear sensor even if they haven't tripped, odds are one if them won't come out cleanly - my front was no issue, but the rear was embedded in the pad, and wouldn't release.
​​​I didn't replace rotors as they looked fine, I wasn't having any issues and hadn't even run through a pad set.

Notes on both
I don't have the T10E for the wear sensor bracket, it's such a low torque bolt, a 8mm box end wrench worked perfectly and had more than enough room to swing.
Don't forget to loosen the Brake fluid cap before compressing pistons (and also retightening as soon as you are done)

Notes on the front
The fixed calipers are a dream to work on, so simple and straightforward, To compress the pistons, I used waterpump pliers with a thick rag to protect the front face of the caliper. Compress one side, switch the pad, then compress the other side and switch that pad
Each pad has a spring on one side, that faces down
Notes on the rear
To get the rears into the parking service mode, I followed the steps in this video below - not mentioned is that the parking brake must be released before you start the procedure. after getting to service mode, it's a straight compress, no wind-back or rotation needed
Caliper slider bolts are T45 and after 3 salty winters were not an issue to remove. Don't forget to give them a good clean and lube when reassembling
The retaining clip was easiest to remove using a small slot screwdriver to push in and release the clip from each hole on the caliper itself (pushing in and then pushing it to the rear of the car)

Good luck!

Last edited by Silverbird; 08-08-2022 at 10:20 PM. Reason: moved embedded YT video to end of post
Darrington (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 07:57 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
2015 C400
Good timing, I need to do mine soon. C400, so I’ll need to check part numbers vs C450 / C43.

What discount website are you using these days? The last one I used doesn’t permit online orders anymore (very odd).
Old 08-09-2022, 08:29 AM

2019 C43 Wagon
Originally Posted by Darrington
Good timing, I need to do mine soon. C400, so I’ll need to check part numbers vs C450 / C43.

What discount website are you using these days? The last one I used doesn’t permit online orders anymore (very odd).
I went with Rockauto - even with international shipping to Canada, it was the cheapest I could source in Canada. I specifically wasn't looking for OEM, others may have more or better US sources.
Darrington (08-09-2022)
Old 10-19-2023, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 C43/ 2016 C450(RIP)
I know I'm reviving an older post but how did the brakes turn out for you? Stopping and dust alike
Old 10-19-2023, 07:16 AM

2019 C43 Wagon
Hi, Thanks for the reminder since I'm 15+ months in.

Huge reduction in dust. Previously on the OEM pads I had annoying levels of brake dust within a week, now it's noticeable, but not yet annoying at the month mark, I've even been able to skip the wheels the occasional time when I do a full car wash.

I'm generally not doing repeated hard stops on my brakes and the brake performance is practically unchanged, if you were using 10/10ths of the brakes, there could be a performance reduction, but I haven't experienced any.

Also haven't noticed any additional or change in brake noise

So would definitely recommend.
king_supreme1 (10-19-2023)
Old 04-09-2024, 08:49 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C43, 1966 230SL, 2006 Jeep Rubicon
Reviving great DIY thread

I'm replacing pads, rotors on my 2017 C43. With the front end on jack stands, to improve access to 21mm bolts to remove caliper I turn the steering wheel to full lock (or stop), but it doesn't lock! I've tried starting the car, turning to full stop, and turn the car off. Steering wheel centers itself. What stupid thing am I missing?
Old 04-10-2024, 08:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C43, 1966 230SL, 2006 Jeep Rubicon
Well, I found a 21mm swivel socket and got the calipers off. Got the rotors off. (Mine was a T30 bolt holding the rotor on.
Originally Posted by user33
The torx screw and caliper bolts are spec'd as 1-time use, only, and are to be replaced, not reused. Furthermore, the bolts have a specific torque/tightening sequence. While these may be overkill, brakes and tires are critical, especially if you track your car, so I'd always follow the replacement and torque/tightening instructions (and the screw/bolts aren't very expensive).
I bought new torx bolts for the rotors, but not new 21mm caliper bolts. What is the super secret tightening sequence for those? I haven't found it in videos or the forums, but still searching. Thanks!!

EDIT: Finally found it! 80nm + 45 degrees. I will be buying new caliper bolts.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/811553-2017-c43-brake-torque-sertings.html

Last edited by GermanCarShow; 04-10-2024 at 09:05 PM.