C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance/repairs cost on 2018 C43 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
Maintenance/repairs cost on 2018 C43 AMG?

The 2018 C43 is on my short list of next vehicle (S4, E400, BMW 5) but the one thing holding me up is potential maintenance/cost by owning an AMG. I understand it's not a TRUE AMG like others but the repair and general costs for this vehicle scare me, especially as someone who is not a car buff in any way.

If I were to do a 2-3 year lease on the C43, with the Mercedes Benz maintenance packages offered, what else should I be concerned about regarding the C43 and potential problems or repairs? Is it much higher than a C300 or even the E class (non AMG)?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by ma2323
The 2018 C43 is on my short list of next vehicle (S4, E400, BMW 5) but the one thing holding me up is potential maintenance/cost by owning an AMG. I understand it's not a TRUE AMG like others but the repair and general costs for this vehicle scare me, especially as someone who is not a car buff in any way.

If I were to do a 2-3 year lease on the C43, with the Mercedes Benz maintenance packages offered, what else should I be concerned about regarding the C43 and potential problems or repairs? Is it much higher than a C300 or even the E class (non AMG)?
If you're doing the pre-paid maintenance packages, any potential issues/costs would be covered under the same warranty as any other MB model, or manufacturer for that matter. Really, this only leaves you with tire wear and brakes, which is very dependent on your driving habits. With that said, the stock Continental Run-Flats are trash. While my rears are fine, my fronts are at the wear indicators at 15,xxx miles. If you search the forums, you'll hear the similar and worse wear rates. Brakes can be done easily DIY, but as you stated your mechanical inclination, you'll likely be paying for new pads & rotors once during a lease term, which you can expect with any other of your options as well. YMMV.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I purchased the AMG mainteance plan, Which includes One free brake change and it covers oil changes etc... only thing you’d have to replace would be tires like richard stated.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
It's just a car.. AMG or not. If you lease it it will more than likely be under warranty the whole time. That leaves maintenance.. I tend to do a lot of it myself. Not intensive but simple stuff. I check my tires pressures, change wiper blades, check fluid levels and top off as necessary. There are no tire rotations since MB decided the car needed a stagger ( bigger on the rear then the front) So burn up tires get new ones ( not from dealer unless you're rich and dumb) Oil changes.. I buy my own oil and ask them to change it ;saves me at least $50.00.. Here's the deal. I'm a regular guy who makes a decent living. But I refuse to pay a Certified MB Tech $140.00 an hour to add air to my tires or do any of the easy normal stuff. I suppose if you're a very busy Lawyer or Brain Surgeon then dropping the car off and letting the dealer do all the maintenance and paying out the *** is OK. I'm not, so I'm frugal :-)
Old 03-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
So the tires are that poor? Even if I lease the car they should be changed out? Again, not a huge gearhead (just want something that looks great and drives excellent) but will take your advice nonetheless.

Sounds like a lease is the way to go since any major repairs for the C43 AMG will come after I trade in the car after 3 years?
Old 03-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
It's not that the tires are that poor (make sure if you live where it snows or gets cold to get all season tires not summer's) It's more that they are Run Flats ( RFT) and the car has a staggered setup which precludes rotating the tires so they wear out way quicker. Also the car has no spare tire or jack so if you decide not to use RTF's you are on your own, at least in terms of handling a flat. Also this sorry state of affairs is becoming more and more common with many manufacturers: BMW, Infinity, MB, Acura, to name a few.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
The comment about tire rotation is not entirely correct. You should still be rotating driver side to passenger side and back if you have an asymmetrical tire (which the Conti RFTs are). This helps even out the wear, with the exception of outer toe wear. I'll be switching my fronts to Pilot Sport AS3's (which are asymmetrical) and adding a patch kit or bottle of slime to the trunk. I already carry an air pump just in case.

I fall in the same camp as ErikM - I refuse to pay someone for something that I can do for free with a minimal amount of effort. Plus I get a certain level of satisfaction out of it. I change my oil, will change my own brakes (pads & rotors at least), and rotate my tires. The most expensive "tool" to accomplish all of these would be a floor jack - beyond that, you can do all of those things for less than $50 worth of tools. If I ever get a CEL, I'll head to AutoZone for a free code readout and determine course of action from there.

Also to Erik's point about no spare - it ultimately means more money potential to the dealer in the long run. The traditional target demographic for Mercedes, for example, is older dudes with a bankroll big enough that their time is more valuable than knowing how to change their own flat tire or do ANY type of maintenance. MB is happy to oblige for a price! No spare means a higher likelihood of ongoing "maintenance" revenue, cheaper manufacturing cost (without a change to the MSRP mind you), and a lower wet curb weight to help with tightening emission standards.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe, Iridium silver; 2017 GLC 300
Just a thought

Originally Posted by ma2323

If you are not real savvy with the lease route a word of advice. Dealers/mfg's love for you to lease a car vs purchase. They usually get a relativly low mileage resale in good condition while you are stuck with the depreciation, excess mileage, and any repairs. You need to run the numbers to see what your break even point is.
I for example got the '18 C43 coupe and only paid a total of $54K plus taxes/fees. When I ran the numbers they were offering for a three year lease and added the upfront to the monthly expenses, I only needed
the car to have a value of approx. $25K after FOUR years to make it worthwhile to pay cash/trade-in. I know for sure thiis car will be worth at least that in four years. The warranty is for the entire 4 years which protects
you from any major cost issue. The prepaid maint for 3 years that really runs up til the end of the 3 years covers all mt costs if you plan to trade it /sell at 4 years. Even if I decide to sell/trade it just a day before the 4 year mark, only need to get $25K for it to break in so should come out ahead. If I still love it like I do now, I can keep it, it not, get something else.
Keep in mind there are assumptions here that pertain, that are needed to get this edge/decision leverage;: I didnt load up the car with options as didnt see the need. Only added Iridium silver paint, perf. exhaust,
and wood dash. Also, since this is not my daily driver, I will most likely only drive it max 8K miles per year. This also helps keep its value at 4 years to a hefty level. If you plan on driving 2x or 3x that per year, you are
better off leasing although you will still face a pricey excess mileage fee at return.