GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Quality has Really Gone Down x166 vs x167

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 04:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Post Quality has Really Gone Down x166 vs x167

When I took delivery of my 2013 GL450 I was really concerned that it was going to have a lot of problems because it was a first year production vehicle. When I got my 2021 GLS 450, I was happy because it was a 2nd year production vehicle and wouldn't have problems. I've now been wrong twice.

My GLS 2021, (made in October 2021) has really surpised me with the number of problems. Mostly minor but in sum are really getting annoying. First the tow hook cover fell off, which the dealer replaced happily. Then the rear interior cargo panels started falling off, I've popped those back into place. Now my rear interior door panel has come loose 3 times causing a horrid rattle. The dealer has fixed it twice and told me my 10 year old kid must be pulling it off. On Tuesday, I left the dealer with it "fixed" and it fell down the next morning without my kid even being in the car. I called Mercedes in Burlington, MA, to ask what next steps are and they never got back to me.

My favorite x167 feature by far is the remote key fob (in)action. I can walk up to the car with my hands full of packages, bundles, kids, whatever and the doors or rear hatch never unlock unless I pull the key fob out of my pocket. However, I can be sitting in a restaurant half a mile away with the key fob in my pocket and somehow the rear hatch opens. Prompting friends and waiters to inform me that my rear hatch is open. Did I know?

From my searches, I don't think I can do much about the key fob action. But the interior upper door panel is driving me a bit mad. It rattles over every bump and every time someone closes the rear door. I'm thinking a 3 inch wood deck screw, drilled through the door might do the trick.

The Passenger side rear door is fine. That side even has the rowdier kid.

Just the upper section separates. Dealer says everything looks fine. Clips are fine. They just reattach it. They say its my kid causing the problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by SnowCub:
BillSD (09-17-2022), chassis (09-18-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 05:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,970 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SnowCub
When I took delivery of my 2013 GL450 I was really concerned that it was going to have a lot of problems because it was a first year production vehicle. When I got my 2021 GLS 450, I was happy because it was a 2nd year production vehicle and wouldn't have problems. I've now been wrong twice.

My GLS 2021, (made in October 2021) has really surpised me with the number of problems. Mostly minor but in sum are really getting annoying. First the tow hook cover fell off, which the dealer replaced happily. Then the rear interior cargo panels started falling off, I've popped those back into place. Now my rear interior door panel has come loose 3 times causing a horrid rattle. The dealer has fixed it twice and told me my 10 year old kid must be pulling it off. On Tuesday, I left the dealer with it "fixed" and it fell down the next morning without my kid even being in the car. I called Mercedes in Burlington, MA, to ask what next steps are and they never got back to me.

My favorite x167 feature by far is the remote key fob (in)action. I can walk up to the car with my hands full of packages, bundles, kids, whatever and the doors or rear hatch never unlock unless I pull the key fob out of my pocket. However, I can be sitting in a restaurant half a mile away with the key fob in my pocket and somehow the rear hatch opens. Prompting friends and waiters to inform me that my rear hatch is open. Did I know?

From my searches, I don't think I can do much about the key fob action. But the interior upper door panel is driving me a bit mad. It rattles over every bump and every time someone closes the rear door. I'm thinking a 3 inch wood deck screw, drilled through the door might do the trick.

Just the upper section separates. Dealer says everything looks fine. Clips are fine. They just reattach it. They say its my kid causing the problem.
Thansk for the post, sorry to hear about the experience. MB new vehicle delivered quality is poor, this is another of many examples to throw on the large and growing heap.

The best of nothing.

Last edited by chassis; 09-13-2022 at 12:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
E55Greasemonkey (09-13-2022), JB-HTX (10-08-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 09:21 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2024 GLS 450
The door panel on the rear left door of my 2020 GLS 450 did the same thing. I was able to bang it back into place from time to time, but when I took it in for maintenance, the dealership ended up replacing the door panel. I would have thought the clips could be replaced, but apparently a full replacement is the only fix. I wondered if my daughter might have pulled the panel off at some point when closing the door, but sure the panel should be attached more securely than that.
The following users liked this post:
SnowCub (10-20-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS 450
For the rear hatch, if there is any slight obstruction that prevents full closure, the hatch will reopen. I have had this happen a couple of times when a blanket impeded closure and thinking it closed, finding out later the issue. Lesson I learned is to check that the floor is clear before pushing the close button and walking away. Otherwise almost 4K miles in and my 2022 has been trouble free.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by SnowCub

Lots of annoying issues for us too on our 2021 GLS450. The handle for one of the AC vents in the 2nd row came off. A cheap plastic peg that held up the storage net in the front passenger well came off as well. The stitching on the steering wheel and driver seat has frayed. The rear wiper blade came off randomly. We have <20,000 miles on the car! Disappointing.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 657 Likes on 409 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
I'm sorry to hear these stories. We have the seat cover issue, had a defect with the driver's door mounting clip and a piece of tape from the factory on one of the HVAC blower motor blades. But otherwise, it's been a solid car so far for us. We have the power shades on the back doors as well. They rattle when you close the door too hard, but I would expect that personally. But the trim coming off, that's not acceptable by any means.

Be glad it's not a Lincoln though. I have a continental sitting in my driveway right now (dad's car). The quality control on that thing is pathetic. There is a stereo connector speaker wire sticking out of the passenger door trim instead of being connected. The windshield mirror's cover just fell off in my hands a few minutes ago. There is chrome everywhere on the dash that catches the sunlight and blinds you. Door/window moldings on every door is twisted and messed up. I drove it, and um no. It slams into gear and way way way too twitchy. I don't get the pitch about their seats either. Hard as stone and uncomfortable as hell. Honestly, feels just like my 212 did that I had to fix - bottomless pit in the back of the cushion area with a hard bar feeling running across the backside of my thighs. And good luck not needing a chiropractor for your neck every time you get in/out and whack your head on the door opening. Said he never had a Lincoln before and wanted to try one (he's 82). Bought a 2019 with 20k on it in Naples.....from the Mercedes dealer who took it in on trade.... I can see why... I suspect he'll have a previous generation GLE before too long instead (which is what I told him to get in the first place...) In Naples and the surrounds, it's not hard to find a 3-4 year old car with barely any miles on it in superb condition. Old lady cruisers everywhere that hardly go anywhere. He's one of them! They just sold their 2005 PT Cruiser GT convertible with 30,000 miles on it (bought it with 6k already on it). 24k miles, in 17 years.... I've done that in one year on this GLS already!

Last edited by nc211; 09-18-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 750 Likes on 470 Posts
2023 S500
This might be related:

https://apple.news/A7iQYjUiSSk2NApKqSH0MUg

​​​​​​​Mercedes-Benz Recalls SUVs to Fix Loose Window Trim

Mercedes-Benz is recalling 161,000 GLE and GLS SUVs from the 2020 and 2022 model years because the rear-door window trim may detach. If this happens while the vehicle is moving, it may create a hazard.

In documents provided to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the automaker says it is aware of 75 cases where window trim has detached. None of these have caused crashes, injury, or third-party property damage.

Mercedes-Benz dealerships will inspect and, if necessary, reinstall the trim, free of charge.

The Details

Vehicles recalled: Certain 2020-2022 GLE350, GLE450, and GLS450 SUVs, 2021-2022 AMG GLE53 SUVs, 2020-2021 GLE580 and GLS580 SUVs, and 2021 GLE400e, AMG GLS63, AMG GLE63 S, and Maybach GLS600 SUVs. Only vehicles manufactured before April 25, 2022 are included in this recall.

The problem: Due to a manufacturing error, a piece of the rear-door window trim—known as the rear window trim bar—may detach.

The fix: Mercedes-Benz dealerships will inspect and, if necessary, secure the rear trim bars, free of charge.

How to contact the manufacturer: Mercedes-Benz will notify owners of recalled vehicles by mail starting on Nov. 11, 2022. Owners may also contact the automaker at 800-367-6372.

NHTSA campaign number: 22V680

Check to see whether your vehicle has an open recall: NHTSA’s website will tell you whether your vehicle has any open recalls that need to be addressed.

If you plug your car’s 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN) into NHTSA’s website and a recall doesn’t appear, it means your vehicle doesn’t currently have any open recalls. Because automakers issue recalls often, and for many older vehicles, we recommend checking back regularly to see whether your vehicle has had a recall issued.

Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization that works side by side with consumers to create a fairer, safer, and healthier world. CR does not endorse products or services, and does not accept advertising. Copyright © 2022, Consumer Reports, Inc.