Sponsored by:

Problems/Review of new 2018

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Problems/Review of new 2018

Hello, I picked up my car 6 days ago and have already run into many problems as described on this forum before. They include:

- Chattering windshield wipers, usually in light rain/lubrication conditions
- Brake pads squeaking, only very slightly nothing loud
- Excessive brake dust, given that it was quite rainy this week 4 rotors looked like they went to ****. I cleared it off by braking medium-heavy on the highway it seemed to have cleared it off and they look clean again
- Brake calipers/pistons sticky, perhaps a combination of the rust as described above the pistons did not seem to retract all the way and were slightly engaged. I heard light screeching and friction when accelerating
- Sport+ jerking in low gears during "stop-and-go" traffic, Major problem. When rolling/braking to a stop in Sport+ (relatively high rpm ~2k-3.5k), then applying light gas, remove foot from pedal, and applying light gas again car violently lurches back and forth ~3 times as if I accelerate hard, brake, accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake... Continues as normal after a couple of seconds of slowing down with foot moved back on brake pedal for safety reasons. Extremely dangerous.
- Automatic parking brakes (e-brakes) do not always activate, when turning off the engine the e-brakes do not always turn on. Could possibly be due to the car not "warming up" to desired conditions similarly to how Start/Stop function only works when ready

It is a shame I have had this car for less than a week and am able to write a list of problems this large. Had it custom ordered and waited months for it. It is still in break-in period (600km) but I had to let 'er rip to do some "testing" .
Overall, general driving in comfort is good. I can withstand the clunky downshifts during braking (to the point where I barely have to brake to slow down) and the harsh suspension with POS run-flats allowing me to practice swerving.
Something I don't appreciate is Mercedes' money-saving scheme of utilizing run-flats to avoid giving out jack stands, lug wrenches, and basic kits. They are making money off people who have to call in to use their in-house roadside assistance when otherwise they would do simple repairs themselves.

I will share photos when I have the time in the following week! Thanks for reading and feel free to add your thoughts.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
- Should be an easy fix for mercedes
- Everyone has it, characteristic of high performance brakes. My friends 440i does the same.
- Same as above
- Software to fix this is already out. Have the transmission updated
- E- brakes turn on after you open the door.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by munis
- Everyone has it, characteristic of high performance brakes. My friends 440i does the same.
- Same as above
Regarding the tranny update, are there any downsides such as lower hp/torque or less bangs? Is there any reason some dealerships don't apply a software UPDATE, could this imply that it is merely a quick fix by Mercedes HQ?

Also the E-brakes sometimes turn on without opening the door but just parking the car. Not sure why but it seems to be 50/50.

Cheers.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
- Same as above
This
Old 04-04-2018, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jonathan358
Regarding the tranny update, are there any downsides such as lower hp/torque or less bangs? Is there any reason some dealerships don't apply a software UPDATE, could this imply that it is merely a quick fix by Mercedes HQ?

Also the E-brakes sometimes turn on without opening the door but just parking the car. Not sure why but it seems to be 50/50.

Cheers.
Upsides to the upgrade is that gear changes would become much smoother, shifts would be snappier, and overall combined with the new engine software update, it definitely pulls harder if anything. Gear changes will be more predictable in auto as well. Only downside is that fuel economy has gone to **** ever since I updated it.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
If it makes you feel any more comfortable, you are describing issues that a vast majority of C43 owners have on here. None of which I might add have negative impact to the car.

- windshield wipers do chatter on this car, complain and they will replace them though
- brakes, performance brake like these are noisy in general and brake dust is very common
-jerking will go away over time because 1) you will learn how to avoid it, which is not difficult once you get the hang of it and 2) the software in the car is built to learn your driving style and will try and optimize its performance towards your style.

overall, in my opinion, all of these issues will fall by wayside as you grow with the car. I hope you enjoy your new car!
The following users liked this post:
Nicholas Lopez (02-24-2020)
Old 04-04-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c43 amg
- Same as above
Interested you say this. About the fix for the transmission. mine is a 2018 c43, delivered jan 2018, and it still jerks in sport+ like the OP described. Wouldn't they have fixed this as standard - or do you still need to ask for the update?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by monteeyah
Interested you say this. About the fix for the transmission. mine is a 2018 c43, delivered jan 2018, and it still jerks in sport+ like the OP described. Wouldn't they have fixed this as standard - or do you still need to ask for the update?
Yeah it is very strange how the newest revision doesn't have this "update" even though Merc has known about this for years. You will need to bother your dealership to get it updated from what I've heard. My sales associate is having me take him on a test drive to recreate the problem.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
This problem never gets resolved 100%, regardless of the updates you get. It has to do with some throttle response mapping and MB f*****d this up. I'd recommend shifting up a gear, or letting off the gas when you see bumpy road.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 765 Posts
2003 CL 600
Sport plus isn't needed in stop and go traffic, so it's not something they really care to fix. The throttle is overly aggressive, yes, but that's why you have 3 other modes with more linear response.

The wipers chattering needs the windshield polished, there's something on the cars that causes that, a chemical or coating, that once cleaned off seems to be good. New blades will be very temporary fix.

As far as the brakes, most of what you are complaining about isn't anything, the car got wet and the brakes got rusty? Like every other car?
The following 2 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
C43Ayemgee (04-05-2018), Nicholas Lopez (02-24-2020)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The update came out around December. Just go to the dealership and check just to be sure. Everyone in our group who has the new transmission update does not have this problem anymore.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
Is it safe to say that April build is going to have the updated firmware? I mean I am assuming they ship from the factory with the most recent firmware.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I don't think these are problems.

I have all of these, but its just how the car is..

The windshield wipers are fairly new so they should stutter a little till they're a bit used up

The performance brakes do leave brake dust, but can't avoid that in any car.

Sport+ is jerky from a stop in first gear because of the power, you have 384lb tq @ 2krpm and you're in the fastest/most responsive setting in the car which is a 9spd with short gears, so it will jerk if you tap the gas, the car wants to go. You shouldnt be driving/cruising in sport+ if you intend to drive like a grandma. Drive fast or put it back in sport/comfort.
Snarfalus (04-05-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Sport plus isn't needed in stop and go traffic, so it's not something they really care to fix. The throttle is overly aggressive, yes, but that's why you have 3 other modes with more linear response.

The wipers chattering needs the windshield polished, there's something on the cars that causes that, a chemical or coating, that once cleaned off seems to be good. New blades will be very temporary fix.

As far as the brakes, most of what you are complaining about isn't anything, the car got wet and the brakes got rusty? Like every other car?

I agree, on top of the fact in stop and go I am always in C or E, but does anyone here drive in Sport+ without having it in M? I hate the artificially high revs everywhere, it is annoying. Just keep it in M and Sport+ to the OP, and it will be smoother.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, just to reiterate, I don't think all the points listed are problematic.

I will try to get the fuel map and TCU updates in the future.

Perhaps my seat adjustment and granny-driving got the better of me, a lot of it is driver induced. I now put it in Sport mode more regularly and can control the throttle better. Just hit 1000 clicks.

And to the people who say to just drive in Comfort or Eco, the reason people like to drive in Sport+ is for the performance exhaust valves to fully open. Without any aftermarket modules, the valve opening varies with engine RPM.

Finally, another annoying feature that's hit or miss is the Keyless-Go lock sensor. Hate that thing! But I read through the manual and it states specifically to place your finger only on the sensor and nowhere on the handle. Give that a go, so far it works more consistently.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Thanks for the replies everyone, just to reiterate, I don't think all the points listed are problematic.

Perhaps my seat adjustment and granny-driving got the better of me, a lot of it is driver induced. I now put it in Sport mode more regularly and can control the throttle better. Just hit 1000 clicks.

And to the people who say to just drive in Comfort or Eco, the reason people like to drive in Sport+ is for the performance exhaust valves to fully open. Without any aftermarket modules, the valve opening varies with engine RPM.

Finally, another annoying feature that's hit or miss is the Keyless-Go lock sensor. Hate that thing! But I read through the manual and it states specifically to place your finger only on the sensor and nowhere on the handle. Give that a go, so far it works more consistently.
I had trouble with the keyless go lock sensor aswell.
So i learned that you dont actually press the button on the handle. You need to glide/swipe your hand across the door handles, works 100% of the time.

i was like you at first, trying to press the button and getting frustrated that it isnt accurate. But i guess mercedes programmed it so that you must swipe your hand across the handles
Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I operate mine with a swipe of the back of my fingers as I walk past my rear driver side door (I back in to my space up against a sidewalk). The only issue I encounter is during the winter time. My first touch to the handle always has a static shock and won't register the touch at first. So now I'm in the habit of a quick tap-release-swipe motion and have no issues.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The thing about the rodeo problem is, the car is super sensitive in Sports+, it doesn't like nervous movements of the accelerator. If you are second guessing it, it will happen. If you press the accelerator confidently, it never happens. It didn't happen to me a lot pre update anyway. Then my friend got it and it did it all the time when he was driving it. So it is pretty apparent it is a driver problem mainly. With me, after the new update, it did not happen even once.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
The thing about the rodeo problem is, the car is super sensitive in Sports+, it doesn't like nervous movements of the accelerator. If you are second guessing it, it will happen. If you press the accelerator confidently, it never happens. It didn't happen to me a lot pre update anyway. Then my friend got it and it did it all the time when he was driving it. So it is pretty apparent it is a driver problem mainly. With me, after the new update, it did not happen even once.
Munis,

Any downside to the update that you perceive?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 AMG C43 T
I agree. You get used to it. If I'm very gentle with the accelerator it doesn't happen in mine, but when the car was quite new, some people along the road must have thought I just learned how to drive
Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350

But you can drive in Sport+, adjust the suspension to Comfort and manually shift the gears and enjoy the exhaust without being bounced around as much, and calmer shifting. Give it a shot!
Old 04-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c43 amg
What he said! --->>
Originally Posted by coladin
But you can drive in Sport+, adjust the suspension to Comfort and manually shift the gears and enjoy the exhaust without being bounced around as much, and calmer shifting. Give it a shot!
Old 04-12-2018, 01:19 PM

I'll give that a try when I finish up the break-in. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good engine oil?
Old 04-12-2018, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I'll give that a try when I finish up the break-in. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good engine oil?
MB recommends Mobil 1 full synthetic Euro formula - 5W-40
jonathan358 (04-12-2018)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
If it makes you feel any more comfortable, you are describing issues that a vast majority of C43 owners have on here. None of which I might add have negative impact to the car.

- windshield wipers do chatter on this car, complain and they will replace them though
- brakes, performance brake like these are noisy in general and brake dust is very common
-jerking will go away over time because 1) you will learn how to avoid it, which is not difficult once you get the hang of it and 2) the software in the car is built to learn your driving style and will try and optimize its performance towards your style.

overall, in my opinion, all of these issues will fall by wayside as you grow with the car. I hope you enjoy your new car!
Yeah I completely agree. I have owned my C43 for about 10 months now, bought brand new and yeah I've have some of these issues. The slowing down in S+ in auto (2-1) and lightly accelerate, that dayum jerk/rock back and forth is normal. That's just the tuning done on the car from amg. Once you adapt to your car and understand its characteristics then you will be all good. It was pretty embarrassing and funny at the same time when it happened to me multiple times but I've learned the tricks and its golden. As for the jolt while in S+, clearly a common issue, I was told by the dealer that it was because of the amg tuning and it was normal. Test drove some of their other C43's and all 3 transmissions jolted shifting from 2nd to 1st as you approach a stop. I wish MB used a Dual Clutch Transmission but its all good. Love the AMG Enhanced 9G speedtronic Trans. One thing to add; The 2018 X5M/X6M have the same problem in S+, when lightly accelerating or flooring the car from stop it jolts/rocks back and forth and all hell breaks loose until it takes off, by that time u would shifted through 2 to 3 haha. Enjoy your C43 man. Take good care of that rocket. 😂

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems/Review of new 2018