Notices
C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Tunes from Mercedes?

 
Old 06-08-2018, 01:20 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 30
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Different Tunes from Mercedes?

Hey guys,

One of my buddies(a huge car guy and mechanic in training) was telling me that Mercedes provides different tunes to AMG cars - specifically ones for exhaust notes. He had said that one of his friends had gone to a dealer, and they had updated his software to allow the exhaust to crackle and pop more. If this is the case, I would love to have this done to my C43.

Is this remotely true? I have had a very hard time finding info on this, and when I spoke to my local dealer they had never heard of this being done by a non-aftermarket dealer. That being said, my dealer is also not very up to date on software updates and still doesn't have the update that makes the C43 less jittery in sport+.

If someone could shed some light on this I, and probably many members on here, would be super grateful.
jake732 is offline  
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 605
Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts
'17 C43 AMG - JB4
There are slightly different tunes based on whether or not you have the AMG Performance Exhaust or the stock AMG Sport Exhaust. Regardless of which you currently have, the tune is done at the factory level. Furthermore, you can't even get the AMG PE unless it's assembled at the factory...not even a dealer-installed option. Someone else feel free to chime in, but I haven't seen anyone here post they've been able to get a dealer to load/activate any other exhaust-based tunes.
RichardCranium3 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
jake732 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 02:28 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 30
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3 View Post
There are slightly different tunes based on whether or not you have the AMG Performance Exhaust or the stock AMG Sport Exhaust. Regardless of which you currently have, the tune is done at the factory level. Furthermore, you can't even get the AMG PE unless it's assembled at the factory...not even a dealer-installed option. Someone else feel free to chime in, but I haven't seen anyone here post they've been able to get a dealer to load/activate any other exhaust-based tunes.
I figured as much - I have the PE currently, but of course anybody would love some louder pops and bangs!
jake732 is offline  
Old 06-08-2018, 02:30 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 847
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by jake732 View Post
I figured as much - I have the PE currently, but of course anybody would love some louder pops and bangs!
take off the resonator and cats if you want a louder exhaust. they can only dump so much fuel into the exhaust other wise cats would burn

honestly this car and the c63 with pe are some of the loudest stock exhausts i have heard besides super car level
Star4life is offline  
The following users liked this post:
munis (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:37 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 30
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Star4life View Post
take off the resonator and cats if you want a louder exhaust. they can only dump so much fuel into the exhaust other wise cats would burn

honestly this car and the c63 with pe are some of the loudest stock exhausts i have heard besides super car level
Would that affect the warranty? And how bad is the drone?
jake732 is offline  
Old 06-08-2018, 03:55 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 847
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by jake732 View Post
Would that affect the warranty? And how bad is the drone?
yes modding the car in any way that is not oem will void your warranty only on parts you modified or parts that fail that can be linked to the parts you modified, ie, if you take out cats and engine fails, they could link those potentially even if they had nothing to do with each other. if you remove cats i would get a speciifc tune.

removing resonator will most likely not cause any issue.

yes you will get drone. have you ever modded an exhaust before? there is drone with PE valves open on freeway. so yes it will be amplifed more at other frequencies.
Star4life is offline  
The following users liked this post:
jake732 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 04:08 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 30
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Star4life View Post
yes modding the car in any way that is not oem will void your warranty only on parts you modified or parts that fail that can be linked to the parts you modified, ie, if you take out cats and engine fails, they could link those potentially even if they had nothing to do with each other. if you remove cats i would get a speciifc tune.

removing resonator will most likely not cause any issue.

yes you will get drone. have you ever modded an exhaust before? there is drone with PE valves open on freeway. so yes it will be amplifed more at other frequencies.
Nope, never modified an exhaust before. But I appreciate the insight!
jake732 is offline  
Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
tmoneyC450amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philly and NYC
Posts: 630
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
2016 C450 w/ AMR tune/AWE Touring Exhaust
Originally Posted by Star4life
take off the resonator and cats if you want a louder exhaust. they can only dump so much fuel into the exhaust other wise cats would burn

honestly this car and the c63 with pe are some of the loudest stock exhausts i have heard besides super car level
I disagree, Jaguar F-Type V8S was the loudest stock non-super car exhaust I ever heard
tmoneyC450amg is offline  
Old 06-09-2018, 04:48 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,253
Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by tmoneyC450amg View Post
I disagree, Jaguar F-Type V8S was the loudest stock non-super car exhaust I ever heard

F-Type sounds amazing.
Mr. J is offline  
Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 847
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by tmoneyC450amg View Post
I disagree, Jaguar F-Type V8S was the loudest stock non-super car exhaust I ever heard

i said some of the.... i obviously havent heard every car and left it open. didnt say they were loudest or quietest
Star4life is offline  
The following users liked this post:
munis (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:45 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
munis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,140
Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG Sedan
We should thank Jag though, all this crackling and brabling nonsense was started by them. And I absolutely love it.
munis is offline  
Old 06-10-2018, 05:36 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 396
Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by tmoneyC450amg View Post
I disagree, Jaguar F-Type V8S was the loudest stock non-super car exhaust I ever heard
Completely agree. F-Type V8S or C7 Z06 with the exhaust in sport mode.
HTXgearhead is offline  
Old 06-11-2018, 10:28 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 386
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
C450 and a few other things
While there are no (known) different tunes, there were reports of people losing the exhaust pops over time and getting a reflash (of reportedly the same one) to get them back. Might be what the OP's mechanic friend may have heard about.
z28lt1 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Different Tunes from Mercedes?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: