Sponsored by:

Weistec SCAM Do Not Buy Downpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 c43 AMG Coupe
Weistec SCAM Do Not Buy Downpipe

My current set up is OE Tuning Stage 2, AWE Track and these piece of junk downpipes by Weistec (M276 Catless Downpipes). I purchased the downpipes shortly after I got my C43 coupe last April. About 6 months after I purchased the downpipes, the bracket cracked and I had my shop re-weld the bracket. Another 4 months or so after that, there was another hairline crack that showed up (as seen below in the pics). The first time when the bracket cracked it sounded like a blender was turning on when the car would downshift to 2K RPM. The second time that it cracked it just sounded and felt like excess vibration/drone.

I called Weistec and spoke to this guy Moe about the issue. (Do a simple google search of "Moe Weistec" and you will see nothing but bad reviews) He admitted that this was a known issue with these downpipes as they are defective and he said that they would be able to send me a refurbished pipe on one that had broke as well and they just fixed accordingly. Of course I did not want that (who would?) so Moe said he would send me a brand new pipe where the cracking issue would not happen. Weeks go by and it turns out they never sent any new pipe, I called and called and called, and they just kept saying they would take care of me and never did. They were just giving me the run around - What a joke of a company they are. How do you knowingly sell a defective product? I am writing this post as a warning for those looking for a downpipe, DO NOT BUY FROM WEISTEC. Save your time and money. You have a couple of other options like Armytrix or Mike's Custom.

This is the only company I have ever had issues with, and I have purchased products from APR. AWE, Renntech, GIAC, etc.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)
Originally Posted by CFG
Hmm, Larry and Curly can’t be far behind.... ��
I knew that one was coming, lol and you forgot Shemp?

Don't ever trust anyone named Moe! True Story

In all seriousness though thanks for the heads up- this is very good info, as an alternative I think Armytrix sells downpipes also.

Last edited by Lazz83; 06-25-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:14 AM

2017 c43 AMG Coupe
Lol seriously though... I also spoke to Steve, "Director of Operations" and he was also useless. Avoid Weistec at all cost !
Old 06-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
1999 SLK 5.5L 6-speed, 1993 300 SE
Sounds like a lot of stress goes through that bracket. I'm guessing there is no flex joint on the exhaust anywhere.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43. 2006 Ford GT. 2017 Wrangler. 2010 S4
Has anyone else with the Weistec DP’s experienced similar issues? Sorry that happened man, def sounds annoying to deal with
Old 06-25-2018, 12:45 PM

2019 C43 AMG
I will certainly look elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
lol There are a lot of cars with Weistec downpipes without issues. You're all puppets. If I tell you to stop buying MB because of issues with one single car, will you?
Old 06-25-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by threefirs
lol There are a lot of cars with Weistec downpipes without issues. You're all puppets. If I tell you to stop buying MB because of issues with one single car, will you?
Yeah but that customer service is total BS.
The following users liked this post:
gpouliniii (04-19-2021)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 PM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by GreekUPS

Yeah but that customer service is total BS.
Correct. If customers don't have a platform to keep these businesses honest and accountable it's not a good thing.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
OP,
They may very well have ****ty customer service but they definitely aren't a "scam".

It sounds like they're treating you pretty poorly. Best to be precise and just lay out the facts and the timeline. Hyperbole diminishes your credibility.

It's not like these guys are a major parts distributor with full time customer service staff. They may be struggling with increased volume and allowed your issue to slip through the cracks. Not acceptable by any means but it does happen, especially with smaller companies that are growing rapidly. It's best to avoid burning bridges at this phase although I understand how frustrating it can be when you have and issue and a company ignores you.

I hope Weistec reaches out and makes this right.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:18 AM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
The car aftermarket industry generally seems to have garbage service. My experience with Brabus over 10 yrs ago has made me never ever ever want to buy anything from them or their dealers ever again.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Range Rover
I may just might not do so willing
Old 06-26-2018, 11:48 AM

2017 c43 AMG Coupe
To me, a product that is defective and the company knows about it and does not do anything but avoid the situation that is considered a scam. But regardless of the wording, this is just a heads up as I gained a lot of great insight over the years on forums through these threads, and I just want to prevent anyone else from having the same issue I have with Weistec.

It's just not worth it, and it's an unethical way to do business regardless of the size of the company. Company's should be built around the customer, and poor customer service is inexcusable. More and more people are catching on to Weistec's B.S. like I said, just do a simple google search and you can see they arent so credible. And honestly, this is just an $800 downpipe, can you imagine purchasing an ECU or turbo kit or whatever from them for thousands of dollars and having this happen...

Some people may get lucky and have no issues at all, but I just wanted to share my story
Old 06-26-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by alextoto25
To me, a product that is defective and the company knows about it and does not do anything but avoid the situation that is considered a scam. But regardless of the wording, this is just a heads up as I gained a lot of great insight over the years on forums through these threads, and I just want to prevent anyone else from having the same issue I have with Weistec.

It's just not worth it, and it's an unethical way to do business regardless of the size of the company. Company's should be built around the customer, and poor customer service is inexcusable. More and more people are catching on to Weistec's B.S. like I said, just do a simple google search and you can see they arent so credible. And honestly, this is just an $800 downpipe, can you imagine purchasing an ECU or turbo kit or whatever from them for thousands of dollars and having this happen...

Some people may get lucky and have no issues at all, but I just wanted to share my story
Who installed the downpipes? How credible is the shop that re-welded the down pipe? Why wasn't the down pipe replaced after the first issue? If this is a known defect, why are there plenty of cars, plenty on this forum alone, not having the same issue as you. Why'd you title this thread scam when theres no scam going on here - just bad service?
Old 06-26-2018, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Who installed the downpipes? How credible is the shop that re-welded the down pipe? Why wasn't the down pipe replaced after the first issue? If this is a known defect, why are there plenty of cars, plenty on this forum alone, not having the same issue as you. Why'd you title this thread scam when theres no scam going on here - just bad service?
i would order weistec downpipe only for my motherinlaws anus!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Gungaslow:
alextoto25 (06-26-2018), removedCFGaccount (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:59 AM

2019 C43 AMG
Companies love public praise but they also have to accept the criticism as well. I have Google them and yes, there are plenty of complaints about them.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Man problems happen, and people understand. Alex did as well. It is how it is handled that is the problem. I told you this the other day too with regarding my tuning hoopla with hem hem hem. If they just replaced his downpipes, alex wouldn't have written this review, and Weistec wouldn't have just lost around 4 customers I think?

4 of us alone would have ordered it next week and if it sounded nice, more of us would have joined. 4*1000= 4000 dollars of profit. These companies don't think long term do they? Just could have given him the brand new DPs and kept it clean, haha.
The following 3 users liked this post by munis:
alextoto25 (06-26-2018), Cylinder Head (06-27-2018), Mbmhyu (07-21-2019)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:42 PM

2017 c43 AMG Coupe
Boom. Nailed it ...
Old 06-26-2018, 12:51 PM

2017 c43 AMG Coupe
The shop that did the work is called Eurotech Motorsports in NJ. One of the best shops in the state, check out their IG - https://www.instagram.com/eurotechms/?hl=en

They are very credible, they did work on my last S5 that I had built up, and a lot of my buddies cars. The first time it cracked I didn't want to make it a huge deal about it, also the actual bracket cracked. The second time it was more of a hairline crack near the bracket as you can see in the pic and that is when I called Weistec to ask what was going on and they admitted they have been seeing this happen a lot and it is a known defect/issue (Flange and coating issue). I hope no one else has the same issue, because you never know how the pipe will take the stress, weather conditions also play a factor. And honestly who cares what I name the thread bro, regardless you get the point.
The following users liked this post:
munis (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
I’m gonna get my BMW with downpipes!!
Old 06-26-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe
Alex, had no idea you were in the tri state. Eurotech does phenomenal work, i know as my buddy had his Audi work done by them. If you are ever free to meetup let me know!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:17 PM

2017 c43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by ShazV6
Alex, had no idea you were in the tri state. Eurotech does phenomenal work, i know as my buddy had his Audi work done by them. If you are ever free to meetup let me know!
Just sent you a PM!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
19 C43 Wagon, 16 C450 AMG, 13 C350, 99 ML320 on 20's
Just got back from my local muffler shop and noticed these stress cracks in each of my Weistec downpipes!!!

I called the tech line at Weistec, and the gentlemen I spoke to said he has never heard of stress cracks on any of Weistec’s downpipes. He asked me to send in pics and they would review it. I got an email back shortly after stating that I purchase these 2 years ago and the warranty has expired. He then proceeded to say that if I pay for the shipping there and back that they would fix the cracks under good will. I said that’s great but I paid $450 to get them installed, now I have to pay to get them removed and then pay get them installed while paying shipping from Canada both ways. He explained that labor isn’t covered under a good will repair plus he sent out Weistec’s warranty form stating that........At the end of the day, it’s cheaper just to get the shop to spot weld them and be done with it!!

So the question is, is this a common problem that others are experiencing and shouldn’t these downpipes last more than 2 years??

Thanksm,

Originally Posted by alextoto25

Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by chynatown
Just got back from my local muffler shop and noticed these stress cracks in each of my Weistec downpipes!!!

I called the tech line at Weistec, and the gentlemen I spoke to said he has never heard of stress cracks on any of Weistec’s downpipes. He asked me to send in pics and they would review it. I got an email back shortly after stating that I purchase these 2 years ago and the warranty has expired. He then proceeded to say that if I pay for the shipping there and back that they would fix the cracks under good will. I said that’s great but I paid $450 to get them installed, now I have to pay to get them removed and then pay get them installed while paying shipping from Canada both ways. He explained that labor isn’t covered under a good will repair plus he sent out Weistec’s warranty form stating that........At the end of the day, it’s cheaper just to get the shop to spot weld them and be done with it!!

So the question is, is this a common problem that others are experiencing and shouldn’t these downpipes last more than 2 years??

Thanksm,

A "spot weld" isn't going to fix that. The original weld was sloppy and stress fissures have formed. Even if you find a competent metalworker to braze these cracks there's no guarantee that more cracks won't develop. This is an example of ****ty metalworking. Weistec should be ashamed of this. Goodwill on their part would be replacing the downpipes and shipping direct to your installer on their dime because these have obviously been compromised.

Fv<k these guys. I'll never buy anything from them. There are at least a dozen shops local to me that can do high quality metal fab for the same prices that these bubbas charge.

Last edited by Mr. J; 08-16-2018 at 01:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. J:
alextoto25 (08-16-2018), Dieseldan9 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 AM

2017 c43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Mr. J
A "spot weld" isn't going to fix that. The original weld was sloppy and stress fissures have formed. Even if you find a competent metalworker to braze these cracks there's no guarantee that more cracks won't develop. This is an example of ****ty metalworking. Weistec should be ashamed of this. Goodwill on their part would be replacing the downpipes and shipping direct to your installer on their dime because these have obviously been compromised.

Fv<k these guys. I'll never buy anything from them. There are at least a dozen shops local to me that can do high quality metal fab for the same prices that these bubbas charge.
Mr. J nailed it with this comment ^ . I had my shop weld it twice already and it still continues to just re-crack. These pipes belong in the garbage. Weistec is a joke, and I hope they go out of business soon. Custom downpipes or Armytrix downpipes are the only other options.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weistec SCAM Do Not Buy Downpipe