C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire on a C43! What do I do moving forward?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Question Flat tire on a C43! What do I do moving forward?!

Hey guys! I have a question! I got a flat tire while traveling on saturday night, and long story short, my only option was to replace it with a non-run-flat Continental tire. Now, I am driving on 3 run-flats and one non!. Since I have not been a big fan of the Continental run-flats that came on the car due to the harsh ride, I am weighing my options! Should I buy one Continental run-flat so I am driving on 4 similar tires? Is it time to switch to 4 non-run flats? Or, are there run-flat tires out there that are better than Continental?
Your input is much appreciated!!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 c43 AMG
Between October and April I went through 6 run flat tires, it got to the point to where I was scared to drive the car. The last flat came after hitting a minor dip in the road. That was the last straw and I switched to Michelin AS 3+ and could not be more happy. The car rides nicer and I don't have to worry every time I hit a bump. I would get rid of the run flats all together.
The following users liked this post:
hamzazoom (06-26-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Few Things:

1. First and foremost, always insure your tires. It’s only a little extra to ensure you can get a fresh one if something happens. and if you do get a flat and have no options, go to discount tire and see if they will ensure the flat before repressurizing. If it fixes good to go and you are out a couple bucks but still have warranty, if not you get a new tire.

2. I have had one flat in my many many years driving, it was the continental gx ssr but 6 flats is unheard of, poor guy there but don’t expect that to happen.

3. AS 3 has gotten great reviews and likely my next choice after my continentals. For now though, if it’s just one tire, take that hit and ride the others out. You already payed for your tires might as well use them. Then get a full set when the 3 have worn.

also you are in a very anti-run flat forum. I use them for now, but I would say 90% if folks have strong feelings against them.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:03 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
How much more mileage do you think you'll get out of the runflats? If a lot, then maybe change the opposite tire to the non runflat to a non runflat. If little, maybe it's time to bite the bullet and go non runflat all round. If you're leasing the car, you may have to return the car with runflats. You'll need to take that into consideration. I was on Dunlop Sport MAXX all round, these are non runflats. One was going to blow soon with less than 5K miles on it. I switched out the two rears to Michelins. As has been said previously, we are very biased against runflat tires.
hamzazoom (06-30-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Too many
I ordered a C43 and most likely will switch out of run flats immediately
run flats to me has no advantage at all
1. if you have a flat, in my area no one stock them other than dealer and it can take couple of days
2. they are way too expensive .My son's GF , just had a flat on base C300, and OTD cost was 325 at dealer, I think the tire itself was 235 and these were 17 not 18
3 ride quality is poor
4. no body will patch them even if small leak in a good spot
hamzazoom (06-30-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 c43 AMG
I am definetely glad I got the tire and wheel insurance, 6 flat tires and I was only out $300. However, you are only allowed to use it so many times, thankfully, the dealer gave me a break and did not count all of those. I live in Indiana and the potholes are the size of a 2 bedroom apartment. I have the performance studio edition and it bent the rims twice, tires are expensive, but the wheels are entirely different story. I am saving my remaining insurance for any further issues with these. I have two more indiana winters to make it through on my lease. Yes the dealer wanted me to save the run flats for when (if) I turn my car in. For me $1200 for the non run flats was worth it simply from a comfort point of view. May not be as big deal on 18s.
hamzazoom (06-30-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I upgraded to the AS3's and love them. I now carry two bottles of tire slime and an AC air pump I sourced from Costco in the trunk where the spare should be.
hamzazoom (06-30-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
I upgraded to the AS3's and love them. I now carry two bottles of tire slime and an AC air pump I sourced from Costco in the trunk where the spare should be.
My local SA told me never to use slime as it will mess with the tire pressure warning instruments within the wheel.........just my 2 cents.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
A tire plug kit is handy too.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by synergize
A tire plug kit is handy too.
Also great! Too complicated for my wife though!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by rangehound
My local SA told me never to use slime as it will mess with the tire pressure warning instruments within the wheel.........just my 2 cents.
Still cheaper than a tow and a new tire!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Also great! Too complicated for my wife though!
For sure, most likely the only females that could use that would be Danica Patrick types.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
Originally Posted by Tomwaits21
I am definetely glad I got the tire and wheel insurance, 6 flat tires and I was only out $300. However, you are only allowed to use it so many times, thankfully, the dealer gave me a break and did not count all of those. I live in Indiana and the potholes are the size of a 2 bedroom apartment. I have the performance studio edition and it bent the rims twice, tires are expensive, but the wheels are entirely different story. I am saving my remaining insurance for any further issues with these. I have two more indiana winters to make it through on my lease. Yes the dealer wanted me to save the run flats for when (if) I turn my car in. For me $1200 for the non run flats was worth it simply from a comfort point of view. May not be as big deal on 18s.
If I lived where you lived, I would not be driving on 19's that's for sure. That's too much money and stress.