Sponsored by:

Installed jb1 on my c450 exhaust crackles gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Mercedes C450 AMG Sport
Installed jb1 on my c450 exhaust crackles gone

Hey guys... just installed the jb1 on my c450 this morning and took it out for a test drive... car definitely feels noticeably faster but I have lost my exhaust crackles completely when in sport plus

ive been driving it around for about half an hour now to see if maybe they’ll come back, unfortunately the exhaust backfire is still gone.

has this happened to any of you guys with the jb1? I didn’t even disconnect the battery during install so not sure how this could have happened..

i used to be able to wind the engine up to 6000 rpm and let off the gas and hear gunshots out the back lol now there’s nothing... cars faster for sure but I want my exhaust pops back as well... anyone know if I need to do anything specific to get them back?
Old 06-16-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Ouch. That is a deal breaker for me if the jb1 ot 4 do that.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Anytime these cars throw a fault code. Even the gas cap. The crackles go away. My gas cap was left open and the crackles were gone until I took the car on about 5 drives. Take it to autozone and have ur codes read.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Timmy9830
Anytime these cars throw a fault code. Even the gas cap. The crackles go away. My gas cap was left open and the crackles were gone until I took the car on about 5 drives. Take it to autozone and have ur codes read.
hmm interesting.... I have my own obd2 scanner but didn’t bother to check cuz I didn’t get any lights on the dash ... might be worth it to scan it... feels fine performance wise just lost mah crackles lol
Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Range Rover
Jb1 does not get rid of crackles and pops. I’m proof of that. Do you have it on map 1? This may be why
Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cartman417
Jb1 does not get rid of crackles and pops. I’m proof of that. Do you have it on map 1? This may be why
i switched it over to map 2 and then also put in 94 fuel with octane booster cuz I’ve heard we’ve got some not so great gas up here in canada... crackles are still way less than they were before... yesterday they were slowly starting to come back but again today they were not as prevalent... again I used to be able to wind the engine up to 6k let off the gas and hear gunshots... def not nearly as loud or as much anymore after jb1

maybe I need to drive it more to get them back... been driving a lot these past couple days.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:25 AM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by iggs

i switched it over to map 2 and then also put in 94 fuel with octane booster cuz I’ve heard we’ve got some not so great gas up here in canada... crackles are still way less than they were before... yesterday they were slowly starting to come back but again today they were not as prevalent... again I used to be able to wind the engine up to 6k let off the gas and hear gunshots... def not nearly as loud or as much anymore after jb1

maybe I need to drive it more to get them back... been driving a lot these past couple days.
Keep us updated please.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
I think this problem is specific to C450 only. My crackles and burbles are louder with the JB1.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 C450 AMG JB1 AWE Exhaust
Originally Posted by munis
I think this problem is specific to C450 only. My crackles and burbles are louder with the JB1.
I have a C450 and JB1, if anything the crackles and pop got much louder, especially in MAP 2. This is specific to your car. I also put on the AWE Track exhaust and it made it even sweeter!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 PM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Ryannmlt12
I have a C450 and JB1, if anything the crackles and pop got much louder, especially in MAP 2. This is specific to your car. I also put on the AWE Track exhaust and it made it even sweeter!
Great, so it’s hit or miss. Lovely.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 C450 AMG JB1 AWE Exhaust
Originally Posted by SirJmon

Great, so it’s hit or miss. Lovely.

I would say that's not true. The pop's come from the code in the ECU which the JB1 does not affect. I have seen this come up before and the JB1 does not take the pops away. Again there must be another issue going on there.

Have you gone on their technical forum yet?

Last edited by Ryannmlt12; 06-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:39 PM

2019 C43 AMG
I would say that's not true. The pop's comes from the code in the ECU which the JB1 does not affect. I have seen this come up before and the JB1 does not take the pops away. Again there must be another issue going on there.

No, as I haven’t purchased mine yet. Been holding off for the JB4 to not be in beta.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:53 PM

I would say that's not true. The pop's come from the code in the ECU which the JB1 does not affect. I have seen this come up before and the JB1 does not take the pops away. Again there must be another issue going on there.

so I’ll give you guys an update on the issue so far.. installed jb1 on sat and the exhaust pops were initially gone on initial drive... took the car out again a few times on Saturday and noticed the pops coming back but they had diminished in sound significantly...switched to map 2 put in 94 octane fuel with a can of octane booster and took a few more drives again and noticed that the 6k rpm pops were slowly starting to come back and sound more gunshot like... I’m thinking great they just needed a bit of time... fire up the car on Sunday and again same issue... pops were there but diminished in sound significantly

ive emailed Jon and Ando from BMS support directly and they are puzzled as well... ando advised me that the jb1 doesn’t flash the ecu to get rid of the crackles so they’re quite confused... I just came back from a drive now and they’re still barely there.. went into manual mode wound up the motor to just before redline and let off the gas... I legit got NOTHING... no backfire whatsoever... was suuuuuper disappointed... car is definitely much faster for sure especially on map 2 on 94 with octane booster... just missing my pops n crackles lol

im gonna try removing the jb1 and see if there’s a difference.. again I have no CEL or anything like that... car feels perfectly normal and faster ... just don’t have my crazy loud pops n crackles anymore
Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

so I’ll give you guys an update on the issue so far.. installed jb1 on sat and the exhaust pops were initially gone on initial drive... took the car out again a few times on Saturday and noticed the pops coming back but they had diminished in sound significantly...switched to map 2 put in 94 octane fuel with a can of octane booster and took a few more drives again and noticed that the 6k rpm pops were slowly starting to come back and sound more gunshot like... I’m thinking great they just needed a bit of time... fire up the car on Sunday and again same issue... pops were there but diminished in sound significantly

ive emailed Jon and Ando from BMS support directly and they are puzzled as well... ando advised me that the jb1 doesn’t flash the ecu to get rid of the crackles so they’re quite confused... I just came back from a drive now and they’re still barely there.. went into manual mode wound up the motor to just before redline and let off the gas... I legit got NOTHING... no backfire whatsoever... was suuuuuper disappointed... car is definitely much faster for sure especially on map 2 on 94 with octane booster... just missing my pops n crackles lol

im gonna try removing the jb1 and see if there’s a difference.. again I have no CEL or anything like that... car feels perfectly normal and faster ... just don’t have my crazy loud pops n crackles anymore

Before you pull the JB1, pull the neg terminal from the battery, count to ten, reattach and then go for a drive. If the crackles come back you owe me a beer.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
Before you pull the JB1, pull the neg terminal from the battery, count to ten, reattach and then go for a drive. If the crackles come back you owe me a beer.
And if they don't do I get a beer? ;P

haha so I did this last night and same thing.. they started off light but slowly started building up... I'm gonna take it for another spin tonight when I get home and see if they start off quiet again or if they're already as loud as yesterday. Had a loud gunshot under the Gardiner expressway last night at 6500 RPM so I feel like they are slowly starting to make their way back... just may need to keep driving a bit more I guess.

Also before anyone asks I only Sport Plus when i'm driving like a bat out of hell (don't want the TCU learning my slow Toronto traffic commutes while in S+ cuz I've heard members having issues with the exhaust pops there as well from driving in S+ constantly).
Old 06-19-2018, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
And if they don't do I get a beer? ;P

haha so I did this last night and same thing.. they started off light but slowly started building up... I'm gonna take it for another spin tonight when I get home and see if they start off quiet again or if they're already as loud as yesterday. Had a loud gunshot under the Gardiner expressway last night at 6500 RPM so I feel like they are slowly starting to make their way back... just may need to keep driving a bit more I guess.

Also before anyone asks I only Sport Plus when i'm driving like a bat out of hell (don't want the TCU learning my slow Toronto traffic commutes while in S+ cuz I've heard members having issues with the exhaust pops there as well from driving in S+ constantly).
Yo, are you in GTA? We have a local C43 group. Give me a shout if you want to join. We are going for a cruise this saturday, we can trouble shoot your problem there if you want. We have a 3 JB users in the group.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by munis
Yo, are you in GTA? We have a local C43 group. Give me a shout if you want to join. We are going for a cruise this saturday, we can trouble shoot your problem there if you want. We have a 3 JB users in the group.
Yeaaaa my condo's at John and Adelaide lol... def down to join! Shooting ya a PM!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:13 PM

Final Update on this issue: So I've been drivin my car around a lot and they've come back! I was hoping that they eventually would I just didn't think they'd take this long lol.. anyways.. they are back and actually do sound more aggressive.. the whole car just feels completely different now.. it pulls soo aggressively and I'm extremely pleased with the JB1 (currently runnin on Map 2 with 94 Octane) First Kill was against a Golf R also running a JB1.

Overall... highly recommend the JB1 for ease of install, use (make sure you buy a data cable if you want to change maps), and power gains on the vehicle
Old 06-27-2018, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by CFG
Good news! The Golf, a clown car, doesn’t count.
Now now..
While the Golf may be a clown car, the Golf R is an Insane Clown Posse car and it definitely counts.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
Now now..
While the Golf may be a clown car, the Golf R is an Insane Clown Posse car and it definitely counts.
This.

Golf R's are no slouch that's for damn sure.. 300HP and AWD in that form factor? Makes for some fun times.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Yeaaaa my condo's at John and Adelaide lol... def down to join! Shooting ya a PM!
lol. Distillery here.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by CFG

Self inflated.

Well, where’s the high sheriff?

triumph of form over substance: it is a clown car.

Naah, you're coming at it from the wrong point of view. Don't think of the Golf R as a German performance hatch, think of it as the world's most exciting go-cart.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by CFG

Nuff said.
Ronald McDonalds strangely attractive younger sister?!
I feel a sudden sense of arousal coupled with shame and fear
Old 06-29-2018, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43

Originally Posted by CFG
Is that a rubber nose in your pocket?

wanna supersize that?

Don't shame me man!
At least I'm not hot for Grimace.