Sponsored by:

So Many Noob Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 Chevrolet SS
So Many Noob Questions

Hey all, I need help in deciding which AMG C Sedan to buy and would be extremely grateful for any answers. For perspective regarding performance, I currently own a 2017 Chevrolet SS Sport Sedan. It's an amazing, rare car, and a true sleeper. It's not much to look at, but man does it drive good, sound good, handle good, and is fast. Eventually, in a perfect world, it will go to my son when I move up to the Benz. So here are my questions.

1. Is it safe to buy CPO?
I've never bought a used car before because I want to be the one who does the initial break in. But being that these cars cost so much, I'm wondering if it's safe to buy CPO.
2. Being that this will be my first Mercedes, should I stick with the AMG C43, because it's plenty fast and cheaper to maintain, or should I only be thinking about the C63S because I'll regret going with the C43?
3. Should I buy the 4-year prepaid maintenance plan?
4. Should I buy an extended warranty?
I like to keep my cars for years.
5. Is the AMG C63S worth the additional ~$20K in terms of performance and interior luxury when compared to the AMG C43?
I will not be going to any tracks or anything like that.
6. Is the performance exhaust worth $1,250.00 on the AMG C43?
I absolutely love the noise my Chevy makes, but I know the C43 is a 6-cylinder and am wondering about the exhaust note. I already know the AMG C63S sounds amazing.
7. IF it's safe to buy CPO, are there any problems I should be on the lookout for besides the usual?
8. Do AMG Mercedes age well? Meaning, do they turn into money pits as they get older?
9. What is the Dealership experience like?
10. Do the mechanics know their stuff when doing work on AMG cars? (Being that my car is so rare, many Chevy techs don't have a clue that it's NOT a Malibu and have been known to make all kinds of mistakes.)
11. Can Dealerships be trusted to follow the list of proper procedures when new cars arrive?
12. Is there a better time of year than others to buy a Benz besides December 31st?
13. Is there a lot of room to negotiate the price down?
14. What am I missing?

Its been a lifelong dream for me to own a Mercedes and I'm approaching the point in my life where I'm seriously considering it, and I don't want to end up in a trickbag that costs a small fortune and end up regretting it. So again, thank you all VERY much for any help/advice you're willing to give!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Clemenza67
2. Being that this will be my first Mercedes, should I stick with the AMG C43, because it's plenty fast and cheaper to maintain, or should I only be thinking about the C63S because I'll regret going with the C43?
You're on the C43 forum. For a different answer checkout the C63 forum.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
C43 is pretty fast. You shouldn't be disappointed.
In terms of reliability and maintenance, I personally wouldn't purchase a german car unless i really loved it. They CAN be money pits, The older it gets the lighter your wallet will get. Some cars a hit n miss in terms of that.
With a small tune like a JB1/JB4, you'll get plenty of more power if thats ever a problem. Buy the extended warranty if you do plan on keeping it for those 7ish years or what not. With this type of vehicle depending on the service, everything should be covered by mercedes under warranty so you wouldn't have to worry about going to a mechanic unless you're changing brakes. If you're coming from a V8, Whether you have the performance exhaust or not, nothing beats a v8 sound. I came from a V8 and nothing can relate .

Overall, I think you should lease to buy. Lease the car, if you end up loving it then go ahead and purchase it. It's an amazing car overall, in terms of performance, practicality, and luxury.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Hey all, I need help in deciding which AMG C Sedan to buy and would be extremely grateful for any answers. For perspective regarding performance, I currently own a 2017 Chevrolet SS Sport Sedan. It's an amazing, rare car, and a true sleeper. It's not much to look at, but man does it drive good, sound good, handle good, and is fast. Eventually, in a perfect world, it will go to my son when I move up to the Benz. So here are my questions.

I've never bought a used car before because I want to be the one who does the initial break in. But being that these cars cost so much, I'm wondering if it's safe to buy CPO.
3. Should I buy the 4-year prepaid maintenance plan?
5. Is the AMG C63S worth the additional ~$20K in terms of performance and interior luxury when compared to the AMG C43?
I absolutely love the noise my Chevy makes, but I know the C43 is a 6-cylinder and am wondering about the exhaust note. I already know the AMG C63S sounds amazing.
7. IF it's safe to buy CPO, are there any problems I should be on the lookout for besides the usual?
8. Do AMG Mercedes age well? Meaning, do they turn into money pits as they get older?
10. Do the mechanics know their stuff when doing work on AMG cars? (Being that my car is so rare, many Chevy techs don't have a clue that it's NOT a Malibu and have been known to make all kinds of mistakes.)
11. Can Dealerships be trusted to follow the list of proper procedures when new cars arrive?
12. Is there a better time of year than others to buy a Benz besides December 31st?
14. What am I missing?

Its been a lifelong dream for me to own a Mercedes and I'm approaching the point in my life where I'm seriously considering it, and I don't want to end up in a trickbag that costs a small fortune and end up regretting it. So again, thank you all VERY much for any help/advice you're willing to give!
Holy ****. I'm actually bored enough to answer some of these.

1. Is it safe to buy CPO? - Yes, but interest rates suck.
2. Being that this will be my first Mercedes, should I stick with the AMG C43, because it's plenty fast and cheaper to maintain, or should I only be thinking about the C63S because I'll regret going with the C43? - Depends where you live. If AWD is important to you, get the C43.
3. Should I buy the 4-year prepaid maintenance plan? It depends, if you're going to tune or mod the car, probably not. If you have a euro mechanic you trust, go there.
4. Should I buy an extended warranty? If you're going to tune or mod, no.
5. Is the AMG C63S worth the additional ~$20K in terms of performance and interior luxury when compared to the AMG C43? It's a nicer and better car, but depends on your needs. I would say no since you won't use the track.
6. Is the performance exhaust worth $1,250.00 on the AMG C43? Yes, 100%, yes. If you buy the car without it, you may as well get a C300.
7. IF it's safe to buy CPO, are there any problems I should be on the lookout for besides the usual? Yes, its a CPO.
8. Do AMG Mercedes age well? Meaning, do they turn into money pits as they get older? No. They depreciate and fall apart like any german car.
9. What is the Dealership experience like? Depends on the dealer. I buy at corporate and it's a good experience.
10. Do the mechanics know their stuff when doing work on AMG cars? (Being that my car is so rare, many Chevy techs don't have a clue that it's NOT a Malibu and have been known to make all kinds of mistakes.) You need a euro mechanic or you're going to get half assed guessing and learning on the job.
11. Can Dealerships be trusted to follow the list of proper procedures when new cars arrive? Yes and no. There are asshats everywhere.
12. Is there a better time of year than others to buy a Benz besides December 31st? End of month.
13. Is there a lot of room to negotiate the price down? German made cars (coupes, cabs and wagons or E63+) have a 8% margin. Alabama made sedans have more room
14. What am I missing? Stop asking so many questions.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
CPO warranties are very good. Almost as comprehensive as the new car warranty. This is a fairly safe route to go. You may have a hard time finding AMGs as CPO inventory.

You should spec the car based upon what you want. If you want AWD for your DD get a '43. If you want tail-happy RWD get the '63. If you want a top-top trim '63 get the S model since a loaded S is only slightly more expensive than a loaded standard '63.

You should be able to get at least 10% off a '43 sedan, maybe a little less for a coupe. 2019 models will have less room for negotiation.

If you are buying a new vehicle and plan to keep it beyond the warranty period an extended warranty makes since. Usually the plans from the dealer are way overpriced. The plan from your dealer can cost over twice what a negotiated plan can cost. I bought a MB 2/70k plan from Jeff Jackson at Taffel Motors. It was less than 50% of the price my dealer quoted.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
@threefirs: I graded your exam and you scored way above average, as in the superior range. Extra credit was given for question 14.
The following users liked this post:
threefirs (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 11:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 c43 AMG
My thoughts

First I’m a neube too. I’ve always wanted a Benz and have been reading every thing I could on this forum as well as the internet for a year. I’ve driven three c43s , a c300, two bmws and a rs5 Audi in my quest. Finally ordered a 2019 coupe.

If if you want a totally reliable car get a Lexus. I won’t bc they are butt ugly.

Mercs are over engineered. The engines are usually great as the car ages electrical issues can be an issue. It is essential to do the preventive maintenance on them in a timely fashion or you will be sorry.

CPO from my reading is a good idea as you get a warranty which can be extended. Dealers offer wildly diff prices for warranty shop around.

Imho the c43 is the perfect compromise between the boring c300 and the outrageous c63. Under less than ideal conditions the 43 can equal or even beat the 63 bc of the 43s all wheel drive. The 43 is probably better as a daily driver. For track driving get the 63.

The performance exhaust is a must have. Get it.
I would also recommend you get 18” wheels. They ride better and the tires bc more sidewall are less prone to pothole damage. One direct hit on a large pothole can ruin 19” tire and also rim. Get tire insurance.

The c class was recently upgraded mid cycle. Supposedly 6500 parts were replaced and the electrical system redone in the 2019 models.

Lastly the coupe and the cabriolet are assembled in Germany. All US sedans are assembled in Alabama. There are those who feel Alabama cars have quality issues. Opinions vary.

I hope my 2 cents opinion has helped. My 2019 iridium silver with red leather coupe build date is 8/3. I can’t wait.

Good luck.
Clemenza67 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 AM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
I will answer some of your questions as I used to own a CTS-V coupe which has some similarities to your SS and I worked for a Mercedes dealer for years.

1.Initial break in is not as portent on the C43 as it is on the C63. I wouldn't worry about that, but good luck finding a CPO C43 that has the option you want on it and they are hard to come by.

2. I would recommend starting with a C43. Much more manageable cost wise and sounds great with the optional performance exhaust. How much performance do you want? Motortrend says the C43 is .4 seconds faster than your SS through the quarter mile and .5 seconds faster to 60. I'm guessing your would be very happy with the improved handling the C43 offers as well. The C63S on the other hand will blow the SS away in every performance measure. The C63S also comes with 40% higher insurance cost and nearly twice the maintenance cost on top of the 20k premium. It is a big jump in price.

4. If you do buy one preowned, I recommend you get it certified. They will say that the certificated price is set by MB or they can't discount. That is bs. They can discount. Most MB dealers will have a 2 to 3000 mark up on a preowned C43 so there is room to negotiate. If you do own the car for years, stick to their service schedule religiously on all the mechanical stuff. Use their recommended oil. I put 155k miles on my last MB sedan before I sold it.

5. You will not find anymore interior luxury on the C63 over the C43. Just performance and the exterior differences. Go drive a C43 with the performance exhaust. If you are happy with the performance, DO NOT go drive the C63. You will go damn, the C43 sure is nice, but the C63 is better. It would be like driving a 2018 cts-v sedan and then going back to your SS. Yes, it is a better performer, no doubt. Is it worth the price difference? That's a personal decision.

6. DO NOT BUY THE C43 WITHOUT THE PERFORMANCE EXHAUST. YOU NEED THIS. I think you will be very happy with the C43 exhaust noise if your are running the stock exhaust on the SS. If you are running straight pipes, it isn't going to sound like that.

7. If you buy CPO (I would), check the body and paint, check the rims, check the windshield for damage. CPO cars are supposed to be damn near new looking and you can get them to fix imperfections.

8. They turn into money pits around 130k miles usually, but that depends on the model and how it was maintained. Previous maintenance is everything on these cars.

9. The dealer experience will or at least should blow Chevy out of the water. My dealership offered free service pickup and delivery in a 60 mile radius. Free breakfast and lunch. Free coffee and ice cream bar. The salesmen and service writers actually know what they are doing.

10. Mercedes takes AMG very seriously. Techs have to be AMG certified to do any driveline work on the car. Yes, they very much know what they are doing and very rarely have I seen one make a mistake.

11. Yes, MB is very strict about how the cars are inspected when they arrive for their first lookover. My dealership had 2 full inspections before delivery, one at arrival and one before delivery to the customer.

12. Last week of any month, find a hungry salesman.

13. There is room to negotiate, but MBs typically do not have a Chevy markup, at least % of MSRP equivalent.

Clemenza67 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM

2017 Chevrolet SS
Originally Posted by unr1
You're on the C43 forum. For a different answer checkout the C63 forum.
Yes I know. I'm wondering if anyone here has regrets over buying a C43 rather than a C63. But thanks anyway.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 AM

2017 Chevrolet SS
Thank you all VERY much for taking the time to reply to my stupid questions. The extra insurance wasn't something I thought about. I get my bill, pay it and forget about it. Apologies for being so long-winded, I'm in the process of doing my due diligence and always value the opinions and thoughts of those who've been there and done that. Not to mention I don't want to make a $70,000.00 mistake and/or wind up with a car that's in the shop more than with me.

I'm convinced now that the C43 is the way to go because I won't be tracking the car, and it seems plenty fast as is, especially with the bump in HP the 2019 is getting, and the only real sacrifice is the exhaust note, which I expected. Moreover it's not much less horsepower and torque than what I have now anyway, and the C43 weighs almost 200 pounds less. And besides, how often do we get to take advantage of the power anyway without ending up in a jail cell? I do love spirited driving but I always have to be conscious of how fast I'm going because in the SS you sure don't feel it. I've never been a huge fan of cars with crazy amounts of power, like in the ZR-1, CTS-V, Camaro ZL-1, Hellcat, etc. that shred tires, induce snap overseer, and can't really be used except on a track. I'm more about touring, with power there when I want it, so it seems the C43 will suit me just fine. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:48 AM

2017 Chevrolet SS
Another question. I'm planning on getting the upgraded Burmester stereo system. Is it worth it? I've always heard that the sound system is excellent in MB cars. Thanks again
Old 07-05-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Get the Burmeister if you listen to music frequently, the factory stereo pretty bad.
Clemenza67 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 525 Posts
c
Another question. I'm planning on getting the upgraded Burmester stereo system. Is it worth it? I've always heard that the sound system is excellent in MB cars. Thanks again
Both systems will leave you wanting more if you are remotely interested in audio quality. The base system is probably worse than some 20k cars though.
Clemenza67 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Oh Trust me i have the base factory speakers and these are the worst speakers i ever heard in a car...in my life..What a shame for a mercedes AMG vehicle
Clemenza67 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
c43 amg
The Burmester was a pleasant surprise. It plays DTS 5.1 DVD audio (Eagles -Hell freezes over).The bass the highs and lows and dynamic range were flawless. The surround sound as Hotel California started playing from the DVD was so hair-raising. You will love it !
Clemenza67 (07-13-2018)