Performance Exhaust Retrofit complete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
If you see my reaction and thought I was offended, then reading your post again tells me that you truly were offended since this guy's opinion on what exhaust to put on his car, differs from yours. I mean I wasn't "offended" in the slightest. But using your very own logic, apparently you are. Sorry to learn that a complete stranger adding an exhaust has the ability to affect you on a personal level like that.
Way to degenerate the conversation.. any answer to the question posed?

I guess I should ask OP.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by alexasa

I guess I should ask OP.
Yes there are part numbers for individual sections. Mid pipe, taile pipe, mufflers and such. And you are right, they aren't cheap. The only reason this one was cheap because it was coming from a donor in a junky. How many C43s equipped with PE can you find in the junkyards? We probably don't even have one.

But the PE has far better built quality than any of the aftermarket options by a long mile.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Originally Posted by munis
Yes there are part numbers for individual sections. Mid pipe, taile pipe, mufflers and such. And you are right, they aren't cheap. The only reason this one was cheap because it was coming from a donor in a junky. How many C43s equipped with PE can you find in the junkyards? We probably don't even have one.

But the PE has far better built quality than any of the aftermarket options by a long mile.
Thanks! I can see this being very popular in a couple of years for sure. But to your point, this isn't necessarily accessible at a reasonable cost in the current atmosphere. And I can absolutely see the appeal of doing such in a country like Australia that has much more strict motoring laws than the majority of states in the US (keeping a car OEM, or with OEM parts can save you many headaches).

Old 07-09-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by alexasa

I guess I should ask OP.
Hi Alexasa,

I did not check with mercedes about buying the parts from them. here is a pic of one of the mufflers that has a part number on it.

If you cant get the numbers im happy to drive my car on ramps and get all the part numbers, just shoot me a message. The bracket that was different was not stamped from what i saw.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Nice thread. Thanks for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
Spaggettio (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by Spaggettio
Hi Alexasa,

I did not check with mercedes about buying the parts from them. here is a pic of one of the mufflers that has a part number on it.

If you cant get the numbers im happy to drive my car on ramps and get all the part numbers, just shoot me a message. The bracket that was different was not stamped from what i saw.

I love that it’s stamped with AMG. I can only imagine how many C63 lurkers are upset about that.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by threefirs

I love that it’s stamped with AMG. I can only imagine how many C63 lurkers are upset about that.
the correct term is “triggered”
Old 11-22-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Nice post. I do have a question about the hoodup of the module that you got from the donor car. How did you connect it to get power and did you install the button also?

I have a C450 and purchased the Armytrix exhaust with valve control but I leave the value open all the time. I can see from your pictures that the Armytrix and the PE look a like with the large center pipe. I think the only big difference is the weight as the Armytrix center pipe is titanium which makes it very lite in weight. On the other hand, this is a great write-up as I also had a guy who purchased my C450 Exhaust for his C400 and noticed a difference in sound. No cracks or pops but a deep rubble and louder startups including louder revvs even during high speeds. He was very pleased that the C450 Exhaust made a difference on his C400. If you had purchased the C43 PE it would have cost you $1200USD so getting is for cheap is a good step.

Also we need write-ups like this as a Auto Enthusiast forum so there should be no haters here. Many would be scared to take the step this guy did for fear they will loose money. Further to that, he shared his experience for others who were thinking the same thing. "Maybe I should have purchased the PE when I bought my C43". I think everyone should purchase the PE when they purchase the C43 AMG. For me, I wanted more sound from my C450 as I loss some sound with the Lorinser Tune however Lorinser recommended that I change my exhaust to a better breathing exhaust for maximum hp.

Great work and thanks for sharing.
Retrorog (12-09-2023)
Old 11-25-2018, 06:45 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
Nice post. I do have a question about the hoodup of the module that you got from the donor car. How did you connect it to get power and did you install the button also?

I have a C450 and purchased the Armytrix exhaust with valve control but I leave the value open all the time. I can see from your pictures that the Armytrix and the PE look a like with the large center pipe. I think the only big difference is the weight as the Armytrix center pipe is titanium which makes it very lite in weight. On the other hand, this is a great write-up as I also had a guy who purchased my C450 Exhaust for his C400 and noticed a difference in sound. No cracks or pops but a deep rubble and louder startups including louder revvs even during high speeds. He was very pleased that the C450 Exhaust made a difference on his C400. If you had purchased the C43 PE it would have cost you $1200USD so getting is for cheap is a good step.

Also we need write-ups like this as a Auto Enthusiast forum so there should be no haters here. Many would be scared to take the step this guy did for fear they will loose money. Further to that, he shared his experience for others who were thinking the same thing. "Maybe I should have purchased the PE when I bought my C43". I think everyone should purchase the PE when they purchase the C43 AMG. For me, I wanted more sound from my C450 as I loss some sound with the Lorinser Tune however Lorinser recommended that I change my exhaust to a better breathing exhaust for maximum hp.

Great work and thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your post.

I didnt end up hooking up the power button or the valve controller in the boot. For the power button, you need to replace the center console and have it programmed which MB would not do. The wiring for the valve controller in the boot is "stitched" into the main loom also, i took one look and thought im just going to bolt it up and cross my fingers it sounds the same. The valves are open all the time which makes startup louder. The sound characteristics of my car is the same as my friends with factory PE, my car is louder at lower RPM and make more pops etc at lower RPM. For 1200AUD I got lucky.

Cosworth2000 (11-26-2018)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
10 C63 AMG
Love this thread. Wish I could find a donor car with the Performance Exhaust. I haven't seen any wrecked w205s anywhere near me at any auto wreckers let alone one with PE.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
car shopping
I'm currently shopping for a C43 and I'm wondering if there is a certain VIN code that identifies the performance exhaust.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by NJC63Fan
I'm currently shopping for a C43 and I'm wondering if there is a certain VIN code that identifies the performance exhaust.
There is no specific number or letter in the VIN that would give that info just by its self. You can use a VIN decoder and all the info about options etc. will be shown.
https://www.mercedesvin.com/
NJC63Fan (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mercedes-W205-C-klasse-C63-Klappenauspuff-Auspuff-A2054904301-A2054903801/264175394808?hash=item3d82149ff8:g:ID8AAOSwkE9bLSF j

C43 and C63 use the same mufflers?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Patapii
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mercedes-W205-C-klasse-C63-Klappenauspuff-Auspuff-A2054904301-A2054903801/264175394808?hash=item3d82149ff8:g:ID8AAOSwkE9bLSF j

C43 and C63 use the same mufflers?
they are different
Old 02-13-2019, 07:05 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Great thread and an awesome job done!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
i already have the AWE touring exhaust, could i just buy the PE computer module and plug it in? The AWE is exactly like the PE exhaust but without the flaps. I'll have to figure out how to trick the PE module into thinking the flaps are open
Old 02-24-2019, 08:01 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by sterz85
i already have the AWE touring exhaust, could i just buy the PE computer module and plug it in? The AWE is exactly like the PE exhaust but without the flaps. I'll have to figure out how to trick the PE module into thinking the flaps are open
The crack bangs and pops are generated from the actual physical PE exhaust not the valve module. The valve module closes the valves at lower RPM or when the button is off.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:28 PM

C43 AMG
Hi guys. I am from Hong Kong with non PE C43. I think I might be the only one in this forum retrofitted the PE exhaust by purchasing it from MB factory in Germany. Yes, my local garage helped to order the PE and installed it for me. Installation was a easy job. I finally picked up the car today and as said by Spaggettio, it transforms the car at all. When I first drove, the car feels strange to me because its sound super aggressive, the pops and bangs are really sharp. I kept watching the youtube for PE C43 for whole year and should already have had feel about it. But in reality, it likes 3 times louder than what I expected. The sound and pattern is exactly the same as those in youtube shotting PE C43.

Actually, I would like to point out that, even the sound is amazing by now, I quite miss the quiet mode because in low rpm, even if in ECO mode, there is some drone. However, my garage said they cannot straightly adopt the market switch to turn it on and off. Seems the motor mounted on the PE exhaust requires a computer to operate rather than simply direct control. So, I hope is there anyone have some knowledge about this and recommend a way forward. Thank you guys!
BHawk (12-04-2022)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:20 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by matt pun
Hi guys. I am from Hong Kong with non PE C43. I think I might be the only one in this forum retrofitted the PE exhaust by purchasing it from MB factory in Germany. Yes, my local garage helped to order the PE and installed it for me. Installation was a easy job. I finally picked up the car today and as said by Spaggettio, it transforms the car at all. When I first drove, the car feels strange to me because its sound super aggressive, the pops and bangs are really sharp. I kept watching the youtube for PE C43 for whole year and should already have had feel about it. But in reality, it likes 3 times louder than what I expected. The sound and pattern is exactly the same as those in youtube shotting PE C43.

Actually, I would like to point out that, even the sound is amazing by now, I quite miss the quiet mode because in low rpm, even if in ECO mode, there is some drone. However, my garage said they cannot straightly adopt the market switch to turn it on and off. Seems the motor mounted on the PE exhaust requires a computer to operate rather than simply direct control. So, I hope is there anyone have some knowledge about this and recommend a way forward. Thank you guys!
Hi Matt,

Great work on being able to order it. Have you heard the PE exhaust from a car that came with it from factory? I was also very surprised when I heard my friends car which he order the PE from factory it was very loud for a stock car, you can not judge by videos. This is why it is MB made it quieter in the new facelift model.

The gear changes and pop and bang you have would be the same volume as a factory fitted car. The exhaust is a little bit louder low RPM because valve always open you can not do anything about it as it very difficult to try to retrofit the valve controller and button etc.

Also it will get louder if you get an ECU tune.

Hope this helps
Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43 AMG (Tuned)

Hope this helps
I got a custom Tune and the exhaust sound is exactly the same...........
Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by jaap74
I got a custom Tune and the exhaust sound is exactly the same...........
i went from racechip to ECU tune car is louder low end. We have PE retrofit not from factory maybe effects it because no valve control
Old 03-14-2019, 12:41 AM

C43 AMG
Hi Matt,

Great work on being able to order it. Have you heard the PE exhaust from a car that came with it from factory? I was also very surprised when I heard my friends car which he order the PE from factory it was very loud for a stock car, you can not judge by videos. This is why it is MB made it quieter in the new facelift model.

The gear changes and pop and bang you have would be the same volume as a factory fitted car. The exhaust is a little bit louder low RPM because valve always open you can not do anything about it as it very difficult to try to retrofit the valve controller and button etc.

Hope this helps
In Hong Kong, all C43 from dealer in stock are non PE car. Without further waiting for more than half year for a tailored made C43, most people prefer to get a readily available non PE C43. Besides, it is people perception that the aftermarket exhaust is always better than any exhaust from factory. So, actually there is not much PE C43 in Hong Kong, say only 30%.

My garage is asking the supplier in Germany to see if there is any handy device be able to do the switch. I will keep you guys update.
CA400 (03-16-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
To the OP, thanks for a great write up on the U78 Switchable Exhaust retrofit.

You mentioned the following:
  • When car is off valves are open
  • When car is started valves automatically close after 3 seconds or so
  • When in comfort with exhaust button on valve open 30% or so
  • When in sports + with exhaust button on valves open 100+ after 4000 RPM and full load and are variable at other RPMS
This got me thinking. If I had access to and could design a controller, what parameters should I program with respect to RPM and possibly even Throttle Position.

What other points and observations would you include in that list?

Do you find that there was any valve opening relationship with respect to Throttle Position, or just RPM? Possibly your point number 4 has WOT taken into consideration.

Can we assume that in point number 4, below 4000rpm is just as quiet as Comfort mode and is also 30% opening from idle to 4000rpm, or is it louder at idle than Comfort?

You did not mention your observation in Sports mode (non +).

I have worked on and designed a similar controller for a mid-90's Porsche 993 Varioram intake manifold retrofit with a lot of success, so I do see some potential in this as a project. It had 3 intake manifold valves that worked as a function of, and opened at various stages of, RPM and/or Throttle Position.

Would be great to develop a logic/truth table for the behaviour and program a controller, so if you could give me more input that would be great!

Last edited by TModelle; 06-12-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Hi Alexasa,

Would you be able to help with the part numbers for the rear exhaust brackets of the center section. I've circled them red on your photo.

Retrorog (12-09-2023)
Old 07-19-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
This is great information as i'm thinking not getting the PE option added to the vehicle I'm looking to spec out tomorrow for a 2020 MY order.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Performance Exhaust Retrofit complete