Sponsored by:

Products you use to clean your C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:41 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Products you use to clean your C43

Just curious and this is a very general question. What products do you use to clean your C43 and what products to avoid?

Meguiar? Was thinking of just basically buying most of their products.

Just a heads up I had my C43 ceramic coated so when it rained the other day, the water literally beaded off the car which was great.

I had an old bomb for years before buying this car and so for me cleaning meant a trip to the local car wash.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
To address the question of products, Meguiars is generally an okay option. Readily available and not terribly expensive. I would consider Adam's Polishes or Chemical Guys as well. They have many more options when it comes to scent, size and purpose. Just use something that's ph balanced and not straight up dish soap.

With that out of the way, ceramic coating is great, but it doesn't mean you can be careless with your car washes. Ceramic coating or not, I would NEVER recommend ever using an automatic wash that touches the car. The ceramic coating is just another clear layer on top of your clear coating...it can still get marred and scratched and look like crap. Touchless washes can be okay, but there's a still a concern over the more powerful treatments that are used in an attempt to get similar performance to a touch-wash. These harsher chemicals can stain/discolor the black night package trim on our cars, as well as other trim pieces.

I would highly recommend watching either the video series on Adam's Polishes website (https://adamspolishes.com/video), or by watching as much as you can from Larry at AMMO NYC on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom/videos). Would recommend always two-bucket washing (both sources have a walkthrough of this concept) when fully soiled. The Frothe system by AMMO is a top-notch waterless wash solution, but it requires towel discipline that can be unforgiving if you don't fully understand what you're doing.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichardCranium3:
AMG C43 3LV6 (08-20-2018), KyleSmith (08-25-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
www.obsessedgarage.com

I have been detailing since 2003 and have used a ton of products and most of the products Matt carries I also use.

I agree on CC I just did my car and I am very impressed with it.

Makes my collinite combo look ordinary.
The following users liked this post:
AMG C43 3LV6 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 AM

AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by CFG
For a simple car wash, use Mercedes’ own shampoo in the funky bottle. Great stuff.
Mercedes should sell AMG Car Shampoo. I probably would buy it lol.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Great responses and I would say accurate.

i was willing to test the tinting of our plastic night package features and do washes in a non-brush car wash. So far (2017 model) black looks black looks black. I suppose it changes from car wash to car wash but water and soap has been used to clean cars before cars were invented haha, I wouldn’t overthink it.

also don’t use the car washes with brushes; that is sand paper because they don’t take care of the brushes and they collect junk.

Alternativey, you could have the front half of the car wrapped with that invisible guard and you won’t have to wax which is nice.
AMG C43 3LV6 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
I just got my setup:

Sun Joe SPX3500
MATCC Foam Cannon
Adam's Garage Wool Wash Pad
2 Amazon Basics Wash Mitts
Chemical Guys Wheel Gerbil
Chemical Guys Wheel and Tire brush
Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Auto Wash
The Rag Company Dry Me A River 2-pack (large and small towel)
Simoniz Wash Bucket + Grit Guard
Old Bucket

Things I plan on getting are a larger second bucket, a wheel well brush, fine detailing wheel brush for calipers, another MF drying towel, and another wash mitt. Oh and a Porsche.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
carcareonline.com They sell the best products, period. They also have a great "How To" section. I've using One Grand Blitz Wax, 3m Imperial Hand Glaze, and Sonax car wash for years.. I guess one can obsess over ones cars finish.. I really don't anymore.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 AMG GLC 43
What do you guys know about waterless washes? I just bought my car a couple weeks ago and I started using a new detail guy from a friends recommendation. He coated the car with c quartz like the 3rd day I had it. I did a trip to vegas which put about 700 miles on it so there was a lot of bugs and dirt on it. Today he washed it, but he does waterless (not sure what products).

I tried googling it, but too many biased websites.

What are the pros and cons??? The car looks clean after he got done with it...
Old 08-25-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by osidepunker
What do you guys know about waterless washes? I just bought my car a couple weeks ago and I started using a new detail guy from a friends recommendation. He coated the car with c quartz like the 3rd day I had it. I did a trip to vegas which put about 700 miles on it so there was a lot of bugs and dirt on it. Today he washed it, but he does waterless (not sure what products).

I was given a meguirs waterless wash & wax. Havent used it yet, but ill let you know.
and yes i will agree https://www.obsessedgarage.com/ this guy knows his stuff.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic

I am not a fan of waterless wash call me old fashioned.

Though I do use optimum no rinse which is a wash u don't need a hose to use.

Check out www.autogeek.net for different options of washing
osidepunker (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 AMG GLC 43
The guy says that he'll do a water wash if I want. Some of his customers ask for it. But he says waterless is way better. I can't argue with the results, but I wonder about how the paint will look long term
Old 08-26-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
I use the chemicalguys stuff. I have their foam cannon and the soap that goes with it, works well.

My routine is: mist down the car (wait 5 minutes), light power wash, apply foam cannon (wait 10 minutes), microfiber sponge clean the car while still covered in foam (get the dirt off that the foam didn’t), power wash residual soap off, use a leafblower to get the water off, dry with microfiber towels.

I have it down to about 45 minutes from start to finish.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Similar routine here, but mine is a little more OCD.

Spray the front end with AutoGlanz bug-off (if it's caked in bugs) -> rinse car with power washer -> foam cannon -> rinse car with power washer -> foam cannon -> wash with lambswool mitt and two-bucket method -> rinse car with power washer -> rinse with deionised water -> dry with plush microfibre towels

Takes about an hour without doing the wheels; add an extra 15-20 mins to give the wheels a good going over using Bilt-Hamber Auto-Wheel pH Neutral Wheel Cleaner.
RichardCranium3 (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
Similar routine here, but mine is a little more OCD.

Spray the front end with AutoGlanz bug-off (if it's caked in bugs) -> rinse car with power washer -> foam cannon -> rinse car with power washer -> foam cannon -> wash with lambswool mitt and two-bucket method -> rinse car with power washer -> rinse with deionised water -> dry with plush microfibre towels

Takes about an hour without doing the wheels; add an extra 15-20 mins to give the wheels a good going over using Bilt-Hamber Auto-Wheel pH Neutral Wheel Cleaner.
This is a GREAT regimen. Bravo
Old 08-27-2018, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
The guy says that he'll do a water wash if I want. Some of his customers ask for it. But he says waterless is way better. I can't argue with the results, but I wonder about how the paint will look long term
I would watch Larry's video at AMMO NYC about his Frothe foam aerator. He gives a very thorough rundown on waterless washing in general and how his setup works. It's all very situational...it's unreasonable to think a waterless wash is perfectly safe for all levels of dirtiness. A carpenter doesn't use only a screwdriver to build a chair, he/she uses the appropriate tool(s) for the job.
osidepunker (08-27-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 05:24 PM

AMG C43 3LV6

Here is my take on waterless wash. Its great to use on a "clean car". By that I mean a car that doesnt have much dirt or grime but needs a wash.

If you have dirt that is basically baked on to your car, you need to either wash by hand or go through a laser car wash to do the bulk of the cleaning. Then after using a waterless wash will keep it clean. Cant help but think you will scratch your car if you do a waterless wash when there is a lot grime adhered to the car.

I am Meguiars all the way, with the tires, windows and body. (use a Meguiars Tire gel on the car. Sprays go everywhere)
Old 12-01-2018, 05:27 PM

AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3

With that out of the way, ceramic coating is great, but it doesn't mean you can be careless with your car washes. Ceramic coating or not, I would NEVER recommend ever using an automatic wash that touches the car.
I saw a vintage Porsche that looked like a showroom car go through the carwash the other day. the guys were using dirty brooms and brushes to clean it. A part of me died that day lol.

The guy was old so I had sympathy, but I wanted to "steal" his car, wash it by hand and then return it to him. Geez he had so many options other than the go through a brush torture chamber for the car.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
Have been detailing for years.

I advise all clients that I have corrected and ceramic coated their cars to follow the method below similar to ShakyTom above

High pressure rinse
Snowfoam (double the amount it wont hold on due to hydrophobic of coating)
High pressure rinse
3 Bucket wash. 1 bucket wheels (2 bucket for body). PH neutral shampoo such as meguries gold glass and microfiber wash mitt. Do the wheels first.
High pressure rinse
Cheap ebay pet blower to remove most water
Clean good quality microfiber towel to pick up any excess water.

Most damage to paint happens during the drying process (i.e crappy shammy)

I do not agree with waterless wash, best wait until car is due for full wash.

Also NEVER wash the car in the sun and recommend Gyeon or Gtechniq products

Last edited by Spaggettio; 12-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.
AMG C43 3LV6 (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:28 PM

AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by Spaggettio
Cheap ebay pet blower to remove most water
Most damage to paint happens during the drying process (i.e crappy shammy)
How effective is the blower? Does it almost negate the need to use a shammy?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:32 PM

C43 AMG
yea man it does take longer but its 100% safe.
Link here
Pet blower

Start from the roof and work down. You will learn where our cars hold water and start to drip from after. Mirrors under the window trims and door jambs.

Shouldnt take you more than 10 mins to dry the car once you get used to it.

I would also suggest wrapping the end of the nozzle with some painters take just incase you hit the body lol
AMG C43 3LV6 (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:55 PM

AMG C43 3LV6
yea man it does take longer but its 100% safe.
Link here
Pet blower

Start from the roof and work down. You will learn where our cars hold water and start to drip from after. Mirrors under the window trims and door jambs.

Shouldnt take you more than 10 mins to dry the car once you get used to it.

I would also suggest wrapping the end of the nozzle with some painters take just incase you hit the body lol
You in Australia?

Thanks. Yep those are the exact areas I have seen water spots. Im going to get one asap.

As you said, the less physical contact you have with the paintwork ie drying. The better the car's paint will look.

I was just going to use the waterless spray for the door jams only.

I baby my car, trust me I will babying that blower to so I dont **** it up and hit the car. The one Im getting is cordless too.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:01 PM

C43 AMG
yea im in AUS.

http://www.glasseffectdetailing.com.au

I find the cordless one may not be as strong.

Waterless spray is good for door jambs.

What coating did you have put on the car?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe
I actually just purchased a
blower blower
to dry my cars, use to use a wet dry
vacuum vacuum
(This vacuum is really good for the price) to dry it but it was to loud and clunky to move around the whole car.

I would do it at about 2 pm, not to hot or a cold day. Should be cloudy (Ideally)
I'm just going to list my process here for a full wash/exterior detail: (I use a
water filter water filter
to prevent hard water)
-High pressure rinse
(Pressure water) (Pressure water)
-I then hit the wheels with first doing the tires with
SuperClean SuperClean
with the a
wheel brush wheel brush
. I use a bucket with CarPro reset(Third bucket from the other two) with a
detail brush detail brush
for the rims. Then a wheel woolie for the inner barrel. (Don't forget the inner fenders)
-
Foam cannon Foam cannon
with
chemical guys foam chemical guys foam
-I do a two bucket method with
CarPro Reset CarPro Reset
with a
wash mitt wash mitt
(Rag Company)
-Another rinse from the pressure washer.
-I then walk around the car looking for anything that needs to be hit by a
clay bar clay bar
(Back of the fenders and front of the car, around the wheel wells) with a
clay lube clay lube
-I rinse it down once again for loosened debris and left over clay lube.
-Next I would clean the window with
Invisible Glass Invisible Glass
. Wipe with a waffle weave towel, or a low pile towel.
-I would then use
CarPro eraser CarPro eraser
(If I was going to wax or do a ceramic coating) and
CarPro Perl CarPro Perl
for any trim
-Then I would go around again with a towel and use OBSSSSD Touch Up for any remaining water drying or spots missed.

After I would do a weekly wash that goes like so: (Depends how dirty the car is)
-Rinse with garden hose (Usually to lazy to bring out the power washer)
-Go around with a towel and get any bad spots (I use Optimum no rinse diluted 1:1)
-re-apply any dressings and clean windows

Last edited by KyleSmith; 12-01-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:19 AM

AMG C43 3LV6
yea im in AUS.

http://www.glasseffectdetailing.com.au

I find the cordless one may not be as strong.

Waterless spray is good for door jambs.

What coating did you have put on the car?
ceramic
Old 12-02-2018, 12:21 AM

AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by KyleSmith
I actually just purchased a blower to dry my cars, use to use a wet dry vacuum(This vacuum is really good for the price) to dry it but it was to loud and clunky to move around the whole car.

I would do it at about 2 pm, not to hot or a cold day. Should be cloudy (Ideally)
I'm just going to list my process here for a full wash/exterior detail: (I use a water filter to prevent hard water)
-High pressure rinse (Pressure water)
-I then hit the wheels with first doing the tires with SuperClean with the a wheel brush. I use a bucket with CarPro reset(Third bucket from the other two) with a detail brush for the rims. Then a wheel woolie for the inner barrel. (Don't forget the inner fenders)
-Foam cannon with chemical guys foam
-I do a two bucket method with CarPro Reset with a wash mitt(Rag Company)
-Another rinse from the pressure washer.
-I then walk around the car looking for anything that needs to be hit by a clay bar(Back of the fenders and front of the car, around the wheel wells) with a clay lube.
-I rinse it down once again for loosened debris and left over clay lube.
-Next I would clean the window with Invisible Glass. Wipe with a waffle weave towel, or a low pile towel.
-I would then use CarPro eraser(If I was going to wax or do a ceramic coating) and CarPro Perl for any trim
-Then I would go around again with a towel and use OBSSSSD Touch Up for any remaining water drying or spots missed.

After I would do a weekly wash that goes like so: (Depends how dirty the car is)
-Rinse with garden hose (Usually to lazy to bring out the power washer)
-Go around with a towel and get any bad spots (I use Optimum no rinse diluted 1:1)
-re-apply any dressings and clean windows
Wow. I admire you dedication. Feels like a full time job. Is your car, Black by any chance?

How long does it take you from start to finish?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Products you use to clean your C43