Sponsored by:

C43 AMG Tire Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 MB C43AMG
C43 AMG Tire Issues

I have a 2017 C43 AMG with 19" wheels and have had 6 tire failures in 14 months -- 3 blowouts and 3 sidewall bubbles. Anyone else have that experience and have any innovative solutions? I am trying to get MB to change the wheels & tires out for the standard 18" but they are not willing to do so. Would appreciate anyone's comments and experiences here.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Mine blew a sidewall in the first 3 weeks. Pain to get it warrantied. One wheel is slightly bent and all tires look like **** now. Switch to better tires and buy a new set of wheels if possible.

I don't think they will let you switch for 18's but I wish I had got them as winters and just bought a brand new set of wheels from the start. But that alone would cost $4000 on top of the price of the car which put me off.

There is no real solution except for being more careful on the road and making sure your tire pressures are correct or even slightly lower.

edit: Get the wheel warranty as well. The unnecessary camber of this car really eats through fronts.
The following users liked this post:
wallywonder (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts
c43 Amg coupe
I had a number of sidewall blowouts with the runflats.. They're garbage! If you haven't already ditch them for some non runflats. Mercedes rims are garbage also. They bend easily..
Old 09-06-2018, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Many have had similar issues. Most have taken matters into their own hands by equipping alternative wheels/tires.
wallywonder (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by alexasa
Many have had similar issues. Most have taken matters into their own hands by equipping alternative wheels/tires.
Ditch the crappy runflats (my front Pirellis lasted only 12,000 miles.)
Buy a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
Buy a cheap 12v inflator and keep in trunk.
Make sure you have a good towing policy.............use a flatbed..............My AAA account will tow 100 miles free.
Your problems are solved.
The following 3 users liked this post by rangehound:
Dieseldan9 (04-10-2019), rajalaut (07-13-2020), Sleepy914 (10-09-2019)
Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Hope you had the tyre insurance. I doubt MB would replace the 19" with 18" for you. Looks like you're going to have to dip into your piggy bank...

Last edited by guhvies; 04-10-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:07 AM

2018 C43 AmG
2 blow outs, 1 shredded, now one loosing pressure

I just purchased my C43 in July 2018. I’ve have two tired blow outs; 1 tire shredded, had to have car aligned. Now my back tire is loosing pressure in about 24 hours. I’ve had to pay for 2 new tires and be towed in several times. It’s obvious now by reading comments there’s something wrong with either the rims or the tires. I don’t have extra money to spend on tires that haven’t gotten their full life use.

Not to to mention I’ve also had transmission computer issues and two a/c leaks- they cannot find. Thebcar vibrates a bit too.

Not a happy customer. I don’t know about everyone else, but I don’t spend my hard earned money for a less than superior product. The price says excellence and that’s what I expect.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by Sumer Campa
I just purchased my C43 in July 2018. I’ve have two tired blow outs; 1 tire shredded, had to have car aligned. Now my back tire is loosing pressure in about 24 hours. I’ve had to pay for 2 new tires and be towed in several times. It’s obvious now by reading comments there’s something wrong with either the rims or the tires. I don’t have extra money to spend on tires that haven’t gotten their full life use.

Not to to mention I’ve also had transmission computer issues and two a/c leaks- they cannot find. Thebcar vibrates a bit too.

Not a happy customer. I don’t know about everyone else, but I don’t spend my hard earned money for a less than superior product. The price says excellence and that’s what I expect.
Get in touch with corporate. Your dealer can only do so much.

I had such severe vibration from out of balance tires/wheels that the passenger seat would vibrate back and forth about a half inch when going above 70 MPH. These tires have been found to defective from factory and typically wear terribly especially with the bit of camber these cars come from factory with.

Do not spend another dollar - fight every step of the way.
EvadTheFist (05-20-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
I have already blown 3 tires. 1 I am not even sure what happened as it happened on the highway but I was able to pull off the highways and into the gas station because of the runflats.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
I have already blown 3 tires. 1 I am not even sure what happened as it happened on the highway but I was able to pull off the highways and into the gas station because of the runflats.
If you didn't have runflats you would not have to pull off into a gas station.You would not have had 3 blowouts on non runflat tires.Since you are not sure what happened it is logical that the runflats were the problem.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 PM

C43 AMG
I have had two full set of tires in 17 months of ownership. Had I known about the run flats before buying the car, I would have purchased a Porsche.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Sumer Campa

I'm with you but I've grown to tolerate its Quirks and Features!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
It's not the run-flats (although I'm not a fan of them) it's the low profile if the tires. They're more susceptible to road hazard damage like potholes. At least when they go you can still keep driving. I've had Porsches, they use regular tires with a small airpump and can of tire sealant. Just put regular tires on your MB and buy a 12v pump and can of stuff. Won't help you with a complete blow-out but that's what MB roadside or AAA is for.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:33 AM

C43 AMG
I wish MB would come out with a donut wheel. My last flat was at night 200 miles from home. I was able to stop at every exit buy a can of fix-a-flat an add air. Made to to my dealer. Now take my other car for driving to VT it comes with a spare.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 AM
SPONSOR

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Fact is "Full Alignment" - OEM is only Front and Rear TOE "directional" adjustment.

No essential "Camber" or "Caster" to adjust tire contact angles to resolve costly, premature edge tire wear.

We saw the need therefore to re-instate from the early 90's full, precise adjustment capability.

Catering for other than "showroom height" conditions - Day to day commuting encountering high cambered roads, altered height. Fitting wide profile tires along with correctly resolving steering pull and "ongoing" adjustment capability for curb knock damage.

Fixing it right the 1st time - no more the frustration of going from one dealer or alignment shop to the next or constantly changing tire brands in the endeavor to resolve this edge tire wear brought about by having only basic "Toe" adjustment.

K-MAC unique patented design replacing the 4 front and 4 rear highest wearing suspension bushings at the same time. Providing precise "single wrench" adjustment (accurately "under load" - direct on the alignment rack).

We manufacture the world's largest range of adjuster kits and the experience of being the longest established manufacturer (see web site "ABOUT US")

Another popular kit manufactured is uprated replacement bushings for the '6' rear multi link arms - less twitch, flex, loss of traction especially when applying power to lane change / overtake.

C300 - 450, C43 AMG 4MATIC

Front Camber and Caster kit #503416K $480
Rear Camber (and extra Toe) kit #502226K $480
Rear multi link bush kit #502628K $480

DELIVERY WORLDWIDE $40 one kit ($20 each extra)

Last edited by K-Mac; 04-10-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: update
Jujigatame (06-27-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 MB C43 coupe, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
took my C43 coupe with 28k miles into the shop because my 2nd set of Continentals were ROASTED in the rear (down to the belts). After only 8k miles on this set, the wear was extremely bad on the inside and minimal on the outer edge (rear tires). the dealer quickly noticed that I had a sidewall bubble in one of the front tires. They called Continental and they agreed to cover the front tire bubble replacement under road hazard warranty. They also decided to sell me the other three tires at cost (not as huge of a discount as it seems, but nice offer nonetheless). these tires are garbage and I will be switching next time.

when they did the alignment, they couldn't get my rear alignment within spec and had to keep my car an extra day. turns out they found a bolt that had sheared somewhere in the rear suspension setup. they believe I hit a pothole that sheared this bolt, throwing off my alignment that then roasted my tires prematurely.

that's the theory anyways. I can't remember smoking a pothole to that degree, but hopefully I'm able to keep these tires for another year and return my lease without any more tire drama.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:48 AM

C43 AMG
I really wish I leased this car. None stop tire alignment fun. The dealer just re-aligned they and they still haven't gotten it correct. I wish it was rattle free and would drive like my GMC truck.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
I had all the worse issues with tires that you gents are describing, Went to an aftermarket setup and ran the same tires for 25k with not a single alignment issue. The OEM wheels that I have sat in my garage don't even sit up straight on their own. The and tires that come on this car are poor.

I could not be happier that I said F it and did my own thing - saved myself a ton of money and any additional headaches.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by alexasa
I had all the worse issues with tires that you gents are describing, Went to an aftermarket setup and ran the same tires for 25k with not a single alignment issue. The OEM wheels that I have sat in my garage don't even sit up straight on their own. The and tires that come on this car are poor.

I could not be happier that I said F it and did my own thing - saved myself a ton of money and any additional headaches.
That is great news. Surprised with all the competition Mercedes has they would cut corners on the driveability of the car. Now off to fine a wheel that will easily fit.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 C43, White with Red interior
Talking

Ive had mine for almost a year now and havent had a blown out yet. I have the 18" Pirellis on mine and i wanted the 19"s. Glad i didnt get hem now ! However, i will go with a non-run flat tire with aftermarket 19" wheels for the summer
Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
Leased a brand new 2019 c43 on march 29, came with 19" continental runflats

12th of april on a friday at midnight, tire blowout on the highway from a small pothole over an hour away from where I live, car was towed at the closest dealer but i was left without a car for the weekend

Yesterday night (april 22), tire for no reason starts losing PSI fast, from 41 to 9 psi in 20min, just enough time to get home, car will get towed again tomorrow morning.

Thank god for tire and rims protection, or that would be 800$ out of my pocket within 3 weeks of owning a brand new car.. absolutly ridiculous to be expected to spend another 1500$ on non runflat tires coming out of the dealer. I run a business that requires me to be constantly on the road and work 7 days a week, i have never had to use uber of my life.. but after 25 days with the c43 im already at well over 300$ of uber lifts.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Phil43
Leased a brand new 2019 c43 on march 29, came with 19" continental runflats

12th of april on a friday at midnight, tire blowout on the highway from a small pothole over an hour away from where I live, car was towed at the closest dealer but i was left without a car for the weekend

Yesterday night (april 22), tire for no reason starts losing PSI fast, from 41 to 9 psi in 20min, just enough time to get home, car will get towed again tomorrow morning.

Thank god for tire and rims protection, or that would be 800$ out of my pocket within 3 weeks of owning a brand new car.. absolutly ridiculous to be expected to spend another 1500$ on non runflat tires coming out of the dealer. I run a business that requires me to be constantly on the road and work 7 days a week, i have never had to use uber of my life.. but after 25 days with the c43 im already at well over 300$ of uber lifts.
Thanks for the heads up...that is horrible and pretty scary. Also a bit disconcerting considering I ordered a 2019 with the '19 wheels about 5 weeks ago.

I've been driving for 35 years and I've never had a "blow out". I didn't even know that was even still a thing.

Did the dealer replace with the same tires or non-run flats?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
Originally Posted by PFEAMG
Thanks for the heads up...that is horrible and pretty scary. Also a bit disconcerting considering I ordered a 2019 with the '19 wheels about 5 weeks ago.

I've been driving for 35 years and I've never had a "blow out". I didn't even know that was even still a thing.

Did the dealer replace with the same tires or non-run flats?
Dealer are not offering me an option for non runflats, tires were both replaced with original continental 19" runflat (front left and front right) best they are doing right now is a rim and tire set of 18" at 40% off which is still overly expensive. Maybe the Pirellis Pzero would hold up better but from reading arround i doubt it

Same here, 20 years of driving over a dozen car, in 400000 miles driven and only had a single flat in my life prior. Both time i was towed the tow truck drivers shrugged and told me most of the cars they have been towing in the past month in our road conditions were mercedes.

Its unfortunate, the car is a joy to ride and the most fun car I have ever driven, if you are able to avoid these problems you are in for a treat
Sleepy914 (10-14-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by Phil43
Dealer are not offering me an option for non runflats, tires were both replaced with original continental 19" runflat (front left and front right) best they are doing right now is a rim and tire set of 18" at 40% off which is still overly expensive. Maybe the Pirellis Pzero would hold up better but from reading arround i doubt it

Same here, 20 years of driving over a dozen car, in 400000 miles driven and only had a single flat in my life prior. Both time i was towed the tow truck drivers shrugged and told me most of the cars they have been towing in the past month in our road conditions were mercedes.

Its unfortunate, the car is a joy to ride and the most fun car I have ever driven, if you are able to avoid these problems you are in for a treat
The pzeros are garbage - maybe even more so than the continental. aftermarket tires at least are your best bet. I'd recommend getting both wheels and tires so you can shelve the OEM equipment.

I ordered my car with the base 18's because I know the car will get the aftermarket wheels from the c450 immediately. Seriously - I didn't have a single issue after switching.
PFEAMG (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
I've had 2 blowouts and 3 cracked wheels since I've had this car (Dec 2016). Never had a single issue with the wheels of any other car that I've owned. There is a serious reliability issue with these cars when it comes to the wheels and you're going to have a great time trying to get Mercedes corporate to acknowledge it.
Sleepy914 (10-27-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 AMG Tire Issues