Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C43
Does the 3-2 downshift jerk happens all the time or occasionally? Did it happen when the transmission skipped gears when downshifting (for example 9-8 and then 7 to 5, this is normal behaviour btw especially if you are trying to come to a stop quickly) or from 7-6-5-4-3-2? This is just for 3-2 and occasionally when coming to a gradual stop, like someone kicked the car from behind- a mild jerk though.

Since I am in Canada so we have different laws, for example your country has lemon laws and MBUSA can do a buyback, we don't and MB Canada has no reason to do any buy backs. MB Manhattan as far as I remembered is a corporately owned dealership by MBUSA so I was surprised that you are not getting much support from them as there is no need of an approval on work from MBUSA (or at least the process is more straightforward unlike privately owned dealerships). This is a canadian car apparently, didnt realize that till after I bought it. The only reason the manager gives for the car not being under warranty is that "This is a canadian car". They didn't probably realize that until they "Tried Fixing" the tranny in August when the car first went in. Why touch the tranny in the first place right? When they did, now technically it should be their onus to fix the issue they created. Thats my thought. What do you think?
Old 03-23-2022, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,843 Likes on 2,421 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by c43w205
Does the 3-2 downshift jerk happens all the time or occasionally? Did it happen when the transmission skipped gears when downshifting (for example 9-8 and then 7 to 5, this is normal behaviour btw especially if you are trying to come to a stop quickly) or from 7-6-5-4-3-2? This is just for 3-2 and occasionally when coming to a gradual stop, like someone kicked the car from behind- a mild jerk though.

Since I am in Canada so we have different laws, for example your country has lemon laws and MBUSA can do a buyback, we don't and MB Canada has no reason to do any buy backs. MB Manhattan as far as I remembered is a corporately owned dealership by MBUSA so I was surprised that you are not getting much support from them as there is no need of an approval on work from MBUSA (or at least the process is more straightforward unlike privately owned dealerships). This is a canadian car apparently, didnt realize that till after I bought it. The only reason the manager gives for the car not being under warranty is that "This is a canadian car". They didn't probably realize that until they "Tried Fixing" the tranny in August when the car first went in. Why touch the tranny in the first place right? When they did, now technically it should be their onus to fix the issue they created. Thats my thought. What do you think?
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the first question. I meant 7-6-5-4-3-2 I didn't mean that it jerked for every down shift I mean did it jerk (at 3-2) when it does a regular downshift or when it does gear skipping like 7-5 then 4-3-2 (and jerked at 3-2)?

As for the second question, hmmm that is strange, obviously their system should automatically identify it was a Canadian market vehicle and making them aware before allowing the work order to be created and things to be done. Not sure how your vehicle was purchased and it does sound to me that you are not the original owner, I am not sure how the previous owner drove the vehicle before you took possession but even so the transmission adapted to the previous owner, that transmission adaptation reset that you mentioned they had done should had allowed the vehicle to learn your driving habits instead. Did you mention this to your attorney? What did they say, did they say who should be responsible in this case when work is done on a vehicle that wasn't originally sold there?
Old 03-23-2022, 04:28 PM

2017 C43
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the first question. I meant 7-6-5-4-3-2 I didn't mean that it jerked for every down shift I mean did it jerk (at 3-2) when it does a regular downshift or when it does gear skipping like 7-5 then 4-3-2 (and jerked at 3-2)? This is for regular downshift, like for instance I drive down my street around 20-25 mph, 4th gear then I gradually brake as I approach the stop sign, occasionally it jerks 3-2 like a bump.

As for the second question, hmmm that is strange, obviously their system should automatically identify it was a Canadian market vehicle and making them aware before allowing the work order to be created and things to be done. Not sure how your vehicle was purchased and it does sound to me that you are not the original owner, I am not sure how the previous owner drove the vehicle before you took possession but even so the transmission adapted to the previous owner, that transmission adaptation reset that you mentioned they had done should had allowed the vehicle to learn your driving habits instead. Did you mention this to your attorney? What did they say, did they say who should be responsible in this case when work is done on a vehicle that wasn't originally sold there? Yes, this was purchased used and the attorney is aware of that, they shouldn't have taken the vehicle in for a transmission service in the first place. The system I think doesn't show its a canadian warranty until the warranty dept digs into it. Which was what happened after the first visit.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the first question. I meant 7-6-5-4-3-2 I didn't mean that it jerked for every down shift I mean did it jerk (at 3-2) when it does a regular downshift or when it does gear skipping like 7-5 then 4-3-2 (and jerked at 3-2)? This is for regular downshift, like for instance I drive down my street around 20-25 mph, 4th gear then I gradually brake as I approach the stop sign, occasionally it jerks 3-2 like a bump.

As for the second question, hmmm that is strange, obviously their system should automatically identify it was a Canadian market vehicle and making them aware before allowing the work order to be created and things to be done. Not sure how your vehicle was purchased and it does sound to me that you are not the original owner, I am not sure how the previous owner drove the vehicle before you took possession but even so the transmission adapted to the previous owner, that transmission adaptation reset that you mentioned they had done should had allowed the vehicle to learn your driving habits instead. Did you mention this to your attorney? What did they say, did they say who should be responsible in this case when work is done on a vehicle that wasn't originally sold there? Yes, this was purchased used and the attorney is aware of that, they shouldn't have taken the vehicle in for a transmission service in the first place. The system I think doesn't show its a canadian warranty until the warranty dept digs into it. Which was what happened after the first visit.
For 1: Did you hear any abnormal sounds along with the motion?

For 2: In that case, I think you have a winning case if your attorney is willing to help you.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:39 AM

2017 C43
For 1: Did you hear any abnormal sounds along with the motion? No, just the jerk felt like a slip of a gear I think

For 2: In that case, I think you have a winning case if your attorney is willing to help you. Fingers crossed, thank you I will update any progress here.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:50 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
I have owned this car for 3 years and read a lot of comments about C43 "rodeo effect". Here is what I understand: the problem exists on all C43 builds, but to different severity. The degree of severity could be due to car itself and/or driving habits. If you experience this problem only in very low gears and Sport+ your car is less affected. If you experience the jerking effect in higher gears and Comfort you have a very bad case.

Needless to say there is no way I keep this car past its warranty expiration and encourage everyone else to do the same even though I don't think the problem is worsening progressively.
The following users liked this post:
c43w205 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 03:44 PM

2017 C43
Update: MB Canada is ready to honor the warranty, they recommended Silverstar Mercedes in Montreal. I spoke with the service manager there (Sean) and he took my VIN to read through previous service records. Will give me a timeframe for the fix. (ValveBody, Torque Converter, Tranny itself) as recommended by MBUSA.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Update: MB Canada is ready to honor the warranty, they recommended Silverstar Mercedes in Montreal. I spoke with the service manager there (Sean) and he took my VIN to read through previous service records. Will give me a timeframe for the fix. (ValveBody, Torque Converter, Tranny itself) as recommended by MBUSA.
Happy to hear that they are finally taking care of you, what did you do to finally convince them to fix it? As for what you mentioned, what exactly are the repairs about? As in the valve body and torque converter. what did they notice broken or out of spec, are they simply going to replace? As for the "transmission itself" what do you mean? If all those components are out of spec, why don't they just replace the whole thing.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:14 AM

2017 C43
Thank you! I spoke with MB Canada and mentioned the situation, obviously the warranty was for the car and gets carried over unlike insurance. They transferred the car on my name in CA records and the warranty as well.
They aren't getting any out of spec code I am assuming, they are solutioning this one by using historical data I think- previous complaints and remediation offered. They also said that they might need to replace the tranny itself but they want to take it step by step.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Thank you! I spoke with MB Canada and mentioned the situation, obviously the warranty was for the car and gets carried over unlike insurance. They transferred the car on my name in CA records and the warranty as well.
They aren't getting any out of spec code I am assuming, they are solutioning this one by using historical data I think- previous complaints and remediation offered. They also said that they might need to replace the tranny itself but they want to take it step by step.
I see, glad it is working out for you. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:01 AM

2017 C43
Definitely!
Old 04-19-2022, 10:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C43, 1966 230SL, 2006 Jeep Rubicon
I'm going to buy a '17 C43 that had its transmission replaced at under 700 miles. Owner says car came to a stop on a freeway off ramp and messages said something about the transmission overheating and don't drive. It's a one owner car, all dealership service records, 46,000 miles now, and owner says the transmission has been flawless since. There must have been issues in that first model year C43 using this 9-speed transmission, even though I believe it was used for a year or two before in different models. Maybe AMG's changes to the transmission weren't flawless.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:41 PM

2017 C43
Update- MB Canada denied warranty since the car has crossed borders. Decided to trade in the c43 (34-35k) and get a 2020 CPO c63.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C43, 1966 230SL, 2006 Jeep Rubicon
You'll have to change your Login ID.

You have any aftermarket parts to sell off of it?
Old 05-05-2022, 04:14 PM

2017 C43
Lol true! Unfortunately, the car is bone stock.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Update- MB Canada denied warranty since the car has crossed borders. Decided to trade in the c43 (34-35k) and get a 2020 CPO c63.
Sorry to hear that, I guess you also saw that as an opportunity to try the C 63. Normally I would think that people will hate the brand and will try other brands and some even "swear to never come back".

I am surprised and curious what happened though, the first post as quoted you mentioned MB Canada said the warranty gets carried over so how come they took those words back and say it isn't carried over after all? I am surprised you are not like those other people that said alright "you are done with Mercedes". Curious about your thought process as well if you want to share.

Enjoy your new vehicle though!
Old 05-06-2022, 01:06 PM

C43
Originally Posted by MilinJ
Got a call yesterday from the dealer that the car is ready to go. So far the valve body has been replaced and they fixed the noise coming from the driver door. Base on my short drive back home last night and coming to work this morning, the jerkiness of the downshift is gone (hopefully for good). The noise at the door was also gone! Couldn't be happier. All done under warranty of course.

Not quite sure what went wrong with the original valve body though. The dealer said they had to hook the car up with their computer and send 'data' to MBTH for proper analysis which MBTH then concluded that replacement of the valve body was necessary. They have also update the 'software' to be of the latest version. Apart from the disappearance of the intermittent jerkiness, I do not notice any difference.

Happy driving everybody.
Hi from Thailand, I'm new here too.
I just got the car delivered last week, still under honeymoon period but casually drive with just 250kms on the clock. I found the transmission is harsh when shifting up and down compare to 9G in my other cars (GLC 250d and S350d W222)

Glad that the problem has been solved, please DM me the name of the dealer
Old 05-10-2022, 10:37 AM

2017 C43
Thank you for your support and prompt responses. No worries! The rep from MB Canada who initially told me that the warranty will be carried over was unaware of the warranty limitations. I like MB as a brand since all my family have been driving cars from them for a while now (Non-AMG). This was my fault that I did not do my due diligence before I bought the car in the first place. Agreed, its a Mercedes and they should have honored the warranty regardless, but they have separate laws (MBUSA has a lemon Law whereas MBCanada does not). All these factored in, I decided to trade-in and get an upgrade.

I am no longer getting a C63. I booked a GLC63S.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by nett
Hi from Thailand, I'm new here too.
I just got the car delivered last week, still under honeymoon period but casually drive with just 250kms on the clock. I found the transmission is harsh when shifting up and down compare to 9G in my other cars (GLC 250d and S350d W222)

Glad that the problem has been solved, please DM me the name of the dealer
You might need to PM the OP but OP was last active on the forums more than two years ago...

Thank you for your support and prompt responses. No worries! The rep from MB Canada who initially told me that the warranty will be carried over was unaware of the warranty limitations. I like MB as a brand since all my family have been driving cars from them for a while now (Non-AMG). This was my fault that I did not do my due diligence before I bought the car in the first place. Agreed, its a Mercedes and they should have honored the warranty regardless, but they have separate laws (MBUSA has a lemon Law whereas MBCanada does not). All these factored in, I decided to trade-in and get an upgrade.

I am no longer getting a C63. I booked a GLC63S.
You're welcome, sorry it didn't end up how you wanted but I am glad you got something that you potentially enjoy. Getting a GLC 63s because you needed 4MATIC right?
Old 05-10-2022, 12:16 PM

2017 C43
Correct, the 4matic+ is a gamechanger in NYC winters. Also, the extra space is a bonus.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Correct, the 4matic+ is a gamechanger in NYC winters. Also, the extra space is a bonus.
Gotcha, enjoy your new vehicle and if you want do share pictures when it arrives. If you also want you should start a thread in the relative forums sharing your experience going from C 43 sedan to an SUV GLC 63s.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:22 PM

2017 C43
Sounds good! I'll post pics once I pick it up from the dealership.