Sponsored by:

Exhaust sound much quieter after engine update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
Any chance you could post a warm sound / video clip of your car?
Here is one. Think the car was still a little cold its more pops if the car is really warm and turn it on and off.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KBl...ew?usp=sharing
Old 09-21-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Sounds a lot more aggressive than mine... now the question is whether or not the update does actually change the characteristics of the PE when driving like sorcerer1 is experiencing.

Wouldn't be a worthwhile trade if it does
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM

C43 AMG
i wouldnt risk it. I mean yea its cool to have a loud startup but to ruin the driving experience not worth it. Another option is to get the update and then a module to keep the valves open all the time.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
I do already have a module, but most of the crackles seem to be ECU induced as valves open with exhaust button on is *very* different to vales open exhaust button off.

I get the feeling the update will be installed anyway the next time the car is at the dealer, but the service is 9 months away so hopefully we can figure out what has changed (if anything) by then.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:09 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Since my tranny update, my Sport+ start-ups are louder and have some pops to it. But the upshifts and downshifts as @sorcerer stated in post #12 I can agree with. I want my upshifts to be loud af and "shatter spines" again...
Old 09-22-2018, 10:21 PM

C43 AMG
Its gotta be something to do with the tune? My car sounds the same as my friends who doesnt have update but my valves are open all the time. We both have racechips thou
Old 09-27-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
Bad news guys, the car is definitely quieter than before. I am also experiencing the dead pedal as Munis described in a different thread. How will we get Mercedes to fix this mess if its deliberate ? It also sounds different depending on which of the three modes its in with regards to traction control.
I remember being able to accelerate from a rolling start get the up-shift bang let go of the accelerator and get the rumble then accelerate again and get a double bang. Have not been able to do that since. Fun factor reduced for sure. My butt dyno also tells me something has changed and I no longer get evil looks from pedestrians. What gives?

Last edited by sorcerer1; 09-27-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:42 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Where are you based? Maybe your dealer needs to experience an updated car (yours) and one that hasn't been updated to see that something is definitely wrong/changed.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by sorcerer1
Bad news guys, the car is definitely quieter than before. I am also experiencing the dead pedal as Munis described in a different thread. How will we get Mercedes to fix this mess if its deliberate ? It also sounds different depending on which of the three modes its in with regards to traction control.
Is the dead pedal you & munis experienced after the update happen in sport+? And could we tell the dealer not to update the car or is it mandatory?
Old 09-27-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
Is the dead pedal you & munis experienced after the update happen in sport+? And could we tell the dealer not to update the car or is it mandatory?
I asked them to fix the 'half shift' (that's what the dealer called it) they initially told me there was no update, but eventually said there was an engine update that might fix the problem. They also made me pay for new wiper blades which haven't solved the scraping issue. I will be writing to them and will post back when I get a response. I hate complaining but I feel I must in this case. It happens in sport plus and i'm not sure if this is actually the case but individual with sport plus feels faster. Can't explain why.

I could be wrong about this as the weather has changed but the car seems to throttle back the power at a lower temp.

I am in the north of England.

Last edited by sorcerer1; 09-27-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:25 AM

C43 AMG Coupe
No crackles and pops like this?

Old 09-30-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
No crackles and pops like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ovNZt56vE

Insane wow
Old 10-01-2018, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
This new tranny update that my dealership did without telling me did not affect the car sound whatsover as far as I can tell. Car still sounds bat**** crazy. It is probably the engine update that killed your sound. May be the updated it to the 2019 tune version, which sounds way mellower than 2017 and 2018. I had a upshift bang yesterday so loud that it made the alarm go off a parked car on the side of the street.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:30 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by munis
This new tranny update that my dealership did without telling me did not affect the car sound whatsover as far as I can tell. Car still sounds bat**** crazy. It is probably the engine update that killed your sound. May be the updated it to the 2019 tune version, which sounds way mellower than 2017 and 2018. I had a upshift bang yesterday so loud that it made the alarm go off a parked car on the side of the street.
agree with munis here, i was playing around last night turning the racechip on and off.

With it off the gear changes sounded less pronounced but the overrun sound was long and louder. Then i turned it back on and it was louder than its ever been, bangs on upshift and downshift and double bangs.

Munis you think it could be something to do with the amount of boost because it varies even depending on outside temperature lol
Old 10-02-2018, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Spaggettio
agree with munis here, i was playing around last night turning the racechip on and off.

With it off the gear changes sounded less pronounced but the overrun sound was long and louder. Then i turned it back on and it was louder than its ever been, bangs on upshift and downshift and double bangs.

Munis you think it could be something to do with the amount of boost because it varies even depending on outside temperature lol
If you have a piggy back installed in the car, it would interfere with the pops and bangs because the car has new adaptations value. If you give it enough time, the pops and bangs will eventually come back. Also this is something i have noticed for my car, the car is the loudest when outside temperature is between 5 to 15C. Above 20C the car gets too hot after some time, so the car starts cutting fuel for overrun above 107C engine temp. Below 0C, the engine cooling fan stops turning on altogether, so the car starts to get hot again anyway and reaches 107C real quick. I dunno if this makes sense.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:20 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by munis
If you have a piggy back installed in the car, it would interfere with the pops and bangs because the car has new adaptations value. If you give it enough time, the pops and bangs will eventually come back. Also this is something i have noticed for my car, the car is the loudest when outside temperature is between 5 to 15C. Above 20C the car gets too hot after some time, so the car starts cutting fuel for overrun above 107C engine temp. Below 0C, the engine cooling fan stops turning on altogether, so the car starts to get hot again anyway and reaches 107C real quick. I dunno if this makes sense.
makes sense! I thought i was loosing my mind thinking that my car was quieter after long spirited driving when its hot outside.

Do you think it also has something to do with exhaust temp? or just engine temp/fuel cut?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 AM

C43 AMG
I just checked my receipts.

I had warranty work and software update BEFORE i bought and retrofitted my performance exhaust.

From the day I installed the PE it sounded crazy like the drifting video above.

Coming into spring in AUS it must be something to do with hotter outside temps and fuel quality which makes the car inconsistent in loudness.

I did fill up with Shell V-Power which seemed to effect performance. Looks like ill be going back to BP fuels.