Sponsored by:

Exhaust sound much quieter after engine update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
Exhaust sound much quieter after engine update

I had to get my brakes done after 8k miles so I thought i'd nail two birds with one stone and get the transmission update. Dealer told me there is no trans update but that there was an engine update they could apply which might fix the problem. Car drives much smoother and we now have the AMG logo on the command screen, but the sound characteristics have been completely ruined. In some ways its better as when you turn the ignition when in sports plus it gives a ferocious bark upon start up. The really loud crack has been muffled by about 50%. One of the reasons I bought this car is because of the way it sounded - for Mercedes to detune the sound without my permission is kind of baffling to me. They even told me that they can't tell the difference when I took it in to my local dealer. Anyone experience this yet? I can provide videos.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Got a clip of the new start up sound? Would be interesting to compare.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:40 PM

c43 amg

This is mine, had it for four months now. I will make a video tomorrow. I don't usually engage in forum discussion and have been lurking on here for months. The new ignition sound is a loud and protracted bark followed by intermittent pops. At the pumps it gets everyone's attention without fail.

Last edited by sorcerer1; 09-16-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-16-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
My car had the AMG logo on the command screen when I bought it, would that mean I already had the transmission/engine update?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:41 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by kevin-L
My car had the AMG logo on the command screen when I bought it, would that mean I already had the transmission/engine update?
OP looks like he has a European plate so it might just have been euro models that didn't get the AMG logo on start. I've had the AMG logo on start since the coupe was first release in North America in October 2016.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 GLC 43 Coupe
Originally Posted by sorcerer1
I had to get my brakes done after 8k miles so I thought i'd nail two birds with one stone and get the transmission update. Dealer told me there is no trans update but that there was an engine update they could apply which might fix the problem. Car drives much smoother and we now have the AMG logo on the command screen, but the sound characteristics have been completely ruined. In some ways its better as when you turn the ignition when in sports plus it gives a ferocious bark upon start up. The really loud crack has been muffled by about 50%. One of the reasons I bought this car is because of the way it sounded - for Mercedes to detune the sound without my permission is kind of baffling to me. They even told me that they can't tell the difference when I took it in to my local dealer. Anyone experience this yet? I can provide videos.
I feel like this is happening with my 2017 GLC 43. I just had a service b done and complained about the 1st gear being jumpy in sport+. My dealer said there was a new ecu update that they applied that might help. Thanks
Old 09-17-2018, 10:27 AM

c43 amg
Here is the video,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mf4...ew?usp=sharing

I also complained about the ride being really bumpy, even small uneven cracks in the road would make the car wobble. I understand its a heavy car but I'd never experienced a ride that bad on 19s before. The MPS4s helped somewhat and the dealer said they couldn't find the problem with the ride characteristics, after I got it back it seems to be less bouncy so I think they did something to fix it and then just denied there was a problem in the first place.
The bunny hoping is 90% cured although in sports plus it can sometimes still happen although its usually my fault now.
Can someone from Mercedes comment on the exhaust being quieter, please tell me this isn't some kind of preemptive petrol exhaust emissions regulation update. I have heard rumor of an impending petrol-gate where German manufacturers have been cheating emissions tests from petrol cars. This is scandalous as I bought this car on how it sounded and drove and for them to change it after my purchase is fraud.

Last edited by sorcerer1; 09-17-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:45 AM

C43 AMG Coupe
Yeah that sounds very different on startup to mine.

Your rev counter also seems to jump around like crazy - can't recall seeing mine do that.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:59 AM

C43 AMG Coupe
Here's a 'warm' startup on mine - also a UK car.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eF...UcwVZ_SiV0nLi7
Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Here is the video,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mf4...ew?usp=sharing

I also complained about the ride being really bumpy, even small uneven cracks in the road would make the car wobble. I understand its a heavy car but I'd never experienced a ride that bad on 19s before. The MPS4s helped somewhat and the dealer said they couldn't find the problem with the ride characteristics, after I got it back it seems to be less bouncy so I think they did something to fix it and then just denied there was a problem in the first place.
The bunny hoping is 90% cured although in sports plus it can sometimes still happen although its usually my fault now.
Can someone from Mercedes comment on the exhaust being quieter, please tell me this isn't some kind of preemptive petrol exhaust emissions regulation update. I have heard rumor of an impending petrol-gate where German manufacturers have been cheating emissions tests from petrol cars. This is scandalous as I bought this car on how it sounded and drove and for them to change it after my purchase is fraud.

My car does not sound like that during startup even with valves open and in sport plus.

My car is much quiter.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 PM

c43 amg
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
Here's a 'warm' startup on mine - also a UK car.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eF...UcwVZ_SiV0nLi7
That is what mine sounded like before the update.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 PM

c43 amg
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
My car does not sound like that during startup even with valves open and in sport plus.

My car is much quiter.
I don't have a problem with how it sounds on start, its an improvement that's for sure. my contention is the up-shift bang is majorly subdued. The loud crack on downshift is also virtually eliminated and you need to downshift from very high revs to get some semblance of noise on downshift. Its the pitch and frequency adjustments that make it far less intimidating than before. I recall shattering the spines of other drivers when overtaking and timing the up-shift bang to resonant between walls and parallel cars. Its still an animal but a completely subdued one none the less. Perhaps most of you have a newer c43, I checked out some videos of the new 2019 c43 and its sounds just like mine does now. Maybe c63 owners were complaining that theirs did not sound as loud as a stock c43 so they downgraded ours.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
That is peculiar - would be best to ask the dealer exactly what update was applied.

Mine was last with the dealer about 3 months ago and had all of the latest engine/fuel/transmission updates applied - but no change in sound.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM

c43 amg
That is peculiar - would be best to ask the dealer exactly what update was applied.

Mine was last with the dealer about 3 months ago and had all of the latest engine/fuel/transmission updates applied - but no change in sound.
What year is yours? When I got mine it was a stock 66 plate with performance exhaust. maybe yours has already had the update. There are some videos on youtube that show how my car used to sound, here is one,
Its uncanny how similar the pre-updated c43 sounds to the E63s.

Last edited by sorcerer1; 09-17-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:52 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Mine is a 17 reg car delivered in May 2017. Sounds exactly like that video.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:57 PM

c43 amg
Mine is a 17 reg car delivered in May 2017. Sounds exactly like that video.
Yes I think it will given how your startup sound is exactly like mine was before it got updated which suggests you didn't get the latest update?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Definitely got the latest updates about 3 months ago as they also removed the "UP" shift indicator.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:01 PM

c43 amg
Definitely got the latest updates about 3 months ago as they also removed the "UP" shift indicator.
I'm baffled then and more than a little annoyed with my dealer.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:46 PM

c43 amg
Update - let the tank run low then filled up with shell v power 99 ron and the bangs are proper loud again. The sound is different but I can live with it now. I have also noticed that some stations are allowing you to fill up with vpower but the fuel you get is the regular economy. I now have a device to detect these underhand petrol stations.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Update - let the tank run low then filled up with shell v power 99 ron and the bangs are proper loud again. The sound is different but I can live with it now. I have also noticed that some stations are allowing you to fill up with vpower but the fuel you get is the regular economy. I now have a device to detect these underhand petrol stations.
Oh wow, that sounds shady on their part. I'm curious, what's the device you're using to detect that?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:08 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Does the car still sound crazy on startup? That's something I want for sure!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:58 PM

c43 amg
Originally Posted by MVEOVR
Oh wow, that sounds shady on their part. I'm curious, what's the device you're using to detect that?
I don't use a device, my car sounds different and performs different in comparison to the lower purity fuel.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:00 PM

c43 amg
Does the car still sound crazy on startup? That's something I want for sure!
Yes that part still sounds 'crazy' . The updated software has definitely changed that aspect.
I will find out through my dealer which version of software they loaded onto my car and post back.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
throw in my 2 cents. My car also had this update and my startup sounds the same much more aggressive.

My car has the PE which i retrofitted.(simply bolted it up from a smashed car). This being said my valves are open all the time because i have no control over them. My car sounds the same as the video above.

Wonder with the update its something to do with the valve controller thats affecting OP?

Also a friend of mine has a 2017 model which came with PE, my car sounds exactly the same as his but more aggressive warm start in sports+.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Any chance you could post a warm sound / video clip of your car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound much quieter after engine update