C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please stop complaining about transmission issues and fix your driving instead.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
Originally Posted by munis
I know a 1st gear that short has its quirks, but I will never give up the ability to make upshift bangs at speeds as low as 35kmph.
Did you find it no longer bucks over bad surface ? I like that aspect of this update, makes driving around sport plus in residential areas much smoother. I do however agree with the essence if your post.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by sorcerer1
Did you find it no longer bucks over bad surface ? I like that aspect of this update, makes driving around sport plus in residential areas much smoother. I do however agree with the essence if your post.
I never had buckling or rodeo affect in my car even before the update came through. Did not get any after update either. All it did is make my car less responsive from the dig.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Maserati ghibli
Originally Posted by munis
I never had buckling or rodeo affect in my car even before the update came through. Did not get any after update either. All it did is make my car less responsive from the dig.
You maybe never drive in sport+
Old 09-29-2018, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Schnippy
You maybe never drive in sport+
Hahaha. Do not remember the last time i was in any mode other than sports plus.
The following users liked this post:
Schnippy (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 01:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Maserati ghibli
Originally Posted by Mr. J
C63 and GTS are 7sp dual clutch trannies. I'm not sure about gear ratios for the E63 but I bet it's much taller than the C43. Otherwise, the car would be activating stability control every time it's started from 1st gear.
Same gear ratio's in C43 and E63

C43: https://www.mbca.org/node/7289978
E63s: https://media.mbusa.com/releases/2018-mercedes-amg-e63-s-sedan-specifications?firstResultIndex=0&sortOrder=Publis hedDescending

@munis: It only happened with the c43 I testdrove when I had to turn left on a intersection with red lights and there was a lot of traffic, never had this in other modes than sport +, in that occasion sport+ wasn't ideal.

Last edited by Schnippy; 09-29-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
I fully agree it is driver induced, but I have only ever experienced it when the car unexpectedly holds first gear for longer than usual.
Happened to me once, in a situation where I needed to take off quickly as the three lanes became two very quickly. Fortunately I figured out on my own that I was not pressing the pedal correctly, admittedly it did shock me.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Get a C63 call it a day
why C63 doesn't do this?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by AMGiggity
why C63 doesn't do this?
At the time of thread creation, the C63 still had the 7-speed transmission.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 111 Likes on 98 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
The only real problem is if the transmission have problem in Comfort from 2 Gear to 3 Gear.

All the other having problems in 1 Gear = YOU are right.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:09 PM

nothing
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
At the time of thread creation, the C63 still had the 7-speed transmission.
I am pretty new to MB scene (long time BMWs owner) so I am sure I not going to get any support behind my opinion but I have owned/driven plenty BMWs, Audis, Porsche, non AMG MB and have never experienced getting dry humped by the back seat in S+ if I don't punch it. The fact that MB tried (and failed?) to fix it by updating the software pretty much shows that they are accepting the design was at least somewhat flawed. It is asinine to think MB would go through software update for every single C43 on road just to appease a few "idiots" who don't know how to drive a sport car.

Nothing is absolute and manufacturer can always be blames (pretty much sure Porsche got sued by relatives of the actor who got killed speeding in a Porsche) but you should not be able to turn a well-designed vehicle into a cocktail mixer even if you tried.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am pretty new to MB scene (long time BMWs owner) so I am sure I not going to get any support behind my opinion but I have owned/driven plenty BMWs, Audis, Porsche, non AMG MB and have never experienced getting dry humped by the back seat in S+ if I don't punch it. The fact that MB tried (and failed?) to fix it by updating the software pretty much shows that they are accepting the design was at least somewhat flawed. It is asinine to think MB would go through software update for every single C43 on road just to appease a few "idiots" who don't know how to drive a sport car.

Nothing is absolute and manufacturer can always be blames (pretty much sure Porsche got sued by relatives of the actor who got killed speeding in a Porsche) but you should not be able to turn a well-designed vehicle into a cocktail mixer even if you tried.
It is not a flaw if everyone is not facing it. More than 50 guys in our whatsapp group and no one has this problem. It is driver inflicted through and through and this has been confirmed.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

why C63 doesn't do this?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...o-traffic.html
Old 04-08-2019, 06:57 PM

nothing
I understand "jerkiness", it is a side effect of aggressiveness which is what we want we drive sports cars, this however is not jerkiness, more like bounciness...

Old 04-08-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C450 | BRABUS 600 AMG GT | C63S
poor people don't know how to drive a nice car......
aniqmatic (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
I know you can avoid this by changing your driving style but let's face it. This is not ideal and should not happen in a "sports" car.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
Never heard or read about this Issue in any German Speaking forums.
Which tells a lot about how People drive in here...
Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by Malar
Never heard or read about this Issue in any German Speaking forums.
Which tells a lot about how People drive in here...
Also a country which is infinitely more in tune with driving a manual gearbox. When in S+, especially in manual mode, first and second gear are much more akin to an actual manual transmission than the behavior of what everyone expects from an auto. This is the first automatic car I've owned and the bucking is unequivocally identical to the feeling of a poor dead start in first gear (or low speed, high rev 1>2 shift) with an inexperienced or stick-learning driver.

It's an auto that acts so much like manual, it has the same consequences. 100% driver modification solution. I fully anticipate to continue to see recurring posts on this now that the 63's have adopted the same 9G tranny. Super tall gearing down low and loads more torque...no amount of software updates can overcome that and still accomplish the purpose of wanting the car to go as fast as intended.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Also a country which is infinitely more in tune with driving a manual gearbox. When in S+, especially in manual mode, first and second gear are much more akin to an actual manual transmission than the behavior of what everyone expects from an auto. This is the first automatic car I've owned and the bucking is unequivocally identical to the feeling of a poor dead start in first gear (or low speed, high rev 1>2 shift) with an inexperienced or stick-learning driver.

It's an auto that acts so much like manual, it has the same consequences. 100% driver modification solution. I fully anticipate to continue to see recurring posts on this now that the 63's have adopted the same 9G tranny. Super tall gearing down low and loads more torque...no amount of software updates can overcome that and still accomplish the purpose of wanting the car to go as fast as intended.
The W205 was the first automatic I've owned. I never had bucking unless allowing the car to come to a coast and then taking off again before stopping entirely (in auto mode of some variety). Car did not know whether to downshift or not, or didn't have time to make that adjustment.

Either way I drive In manual mode 90-95% of the time as I still don't like the computer determined software for gearing in the modes (I would still drive a manual if it were an option).
Old 04-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
I understand "jerkiness", it is a side effect of aggressiveness which is what we want we drive sports cars, this however is not jerkiness, more like bounciness...

Hey all, I started the C63 9G thread.

Just to be clear, my car does not do this LOL.

It was only ever a problem with a slight jerk/hiccup in stop-n-go and now it pretty much no longer happens (I'm at 2500 miles now). I think it's more of a problem with Comfort mode anyway, the car is just too eager to grab a higher gear when you're about to slow down again in traffic. Leaving it in Sport or manual mode solves the problem entirely. And in general the car is a lot smoother now.

Last edited by Xec; 04-09-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:46 AM

C43 AMG
I agree with both posting before me and leave a tipp here for everyone complaining:
In a Manual Car you never shift into first Gear if you dont make a fullstop, Even at 1-2 km/h (or 1 mph) you leave the car in the second gear and help it with the Clutch. (The Automatic will do that for you).
Else the Car JERKS
Igor Grunskiy (12-03-2020)
Old 04-09-2019, 07:47 PM

nothing
Originally Posted by Malar
I agree with both posting before me and leave a tipp here for everyone complaining:
In a Manual Car you never shift into first Gear if you dont make a fullstop, Even at 1-2 km/h (or 1 mph) you leave the car in the second gear and help it with the Clutch. (The Automatic will do that for you).
Else the Car JERKS
I'll be wasting my time trying to explain the difference between jerking and bouncing violently like a yoyo. Everyone here has already made up his mind. The person who started the thread/rant was blaming MB customer for making his car lame because MB updated the software to appease the morons who don't know how to drive an AMG. Now, either MB acknowledges a design flaw by updating the software, or they are wasting a boat load of money (root cause analysis, proposal, preliminary implementation, testing... final implementation) trying to fix a nonexistence problem but making things worse! Either way sounds to me like MB doesn't know WTF it is doing.
To me it was a minor inconvenience, I figured software does not like modulation in 1st gear. Problem solved. What amazes me is the MB fanboys unconditional love.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
I mean, this happens from 2-3 as well not just 1-2. Also, I can't be bothered to share a link but I think I recall seeing this issue being mentioned on a German forum...

I think it is bad engine mapping/TCU control.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
The 63's are even closer to a manual transmission, since they use a clutch instead of a torque converter like the C43. I don't have experience with the C43, so I can't really comment on the issue, but coming from Audi there were similar discussion where folks complained about jerkiness in stop&go with the dual clutch transmission. Now Audi puts the ZF8 torque converter automatic in their S and RS models, which is a major reason for why I'm moving from my '13 RS5 to the '19 C63S. I never had these issues with the dual clutch transmissions. I drove manual transmissions for close to 20 years, and an automatic/semi-automatic transmission that behaves and feels like a manual is exactly what I want. I agree, they have to be driven more like a manual transmission. I still remember 6 years ago when I test drove an S5, before ordering my RS5. The sales associate drove out of the dealer lot and bucking like a wild horse getting onto the street. I had to show him afterwards how to properly drive the car by modulating the throttle and reading what the transmission is doing .

I would not be surprised if MB dumbed down the transmission with a software update due to complaints. This happens unfortunately too much. Folks are buying sporty cars and then complain about harshness, jerkiness etc. and the manufactures respond by watering them down, because they want to continue selling cars and have customers return to buy a new model. It's happening across the board. I'm very disappointed with how Audi watered down the current RS line. It's not what it once was, and I'm hoping this is not happening to AMG. At least for now, the 63's still offer the experience I'm looking for.

P.S. Also wanted to add, that AWD is a factor. There's more inertia to overcome in the drivetrain and more losses. It's also harder to spin the wheels, so any kind of forces from the road get more easily transferred through the drivetrain.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-09-2019 at 09:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
munis (04-10-2019), RichardCranium3 (04-10-2019), sweetnsassy (06-06-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:56 AM

nothing
Originally Posted by jonathan358
I mean, this happens from 2-3 as well not just 1-2. Also, I can't be bothered to share a link but I think I recall seeing this issue being mentioned on a German forum...

I think it is bad engine mapping/TCU control.
It is similar to a "resonant frequency" which if operator hits, it causes the software to lose its mind and not be able to decide between gears. If you apply gas consistently or put your foot off you either won't hit that frequency or you won't hit it long enough to turn the car into a yoyo. What you cannot do is going half *** on gas pedal in S+ first gear. It is a software issue.

And I cannot understand why people here keep calling it jerkiness; it is not, it is switching violently between 1st and 2nd gears and bouncing like a bunny. I have driven plenty of BMWs (M or non M) Audis, Porsche... and non of them did this.
jonathan358 (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 AM

C43 AMG
It is similar to a "resonant frequency" which if operator hits, it causes the software to lose its mind and not be able to decide between gears. If you apply gas consistently or put your foot off you either won't hit that frequency or you won't hit it long enough to turn the car into a yoyo. What you cannot do is going half *** on gas pedal in S+ first gear. It is a software issue.

And I cannot understand why people here keep calling it jerkiness; it is not, it is switching violently between 1st and 2nd gears and bouncing like a bunny. I have driven plenty of BMWs (M or non M) Audis, Porsche... and non of them did this.
I have driven plenty of C43's and non of them did this.
But then again we learn to drive with a manual Car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please stop complaining about transmission issues and fix your driving instead.