C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please stop complaining about transmission issues and fix your driving instead.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77
I have had about 3 instances of hiccups, and it was clearly my fault. I knew it as soon as it happened. It has only occured since I bought the pedal tuner and accidentally left it in the most aggressive of settings. Bottom line, it is a driver problem.
I think what people are getting at is that getting in a car and stepping on a gas peddle in auto mode shouldn't take some kind of learning curve. This isn't rocket science. Are people having the same issue with the 9 speed transmission in the c63? Nope.
The following users liked this post:
sweetnsassy (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by SirJmon
I think what people are getting at is that getting in a car and stepping on a gas peddle in auto mode shouldn't take some kind of learning curve. This isn't rocket science. Are people having the same issue with the 9 speed transmission in the c63? Nope.
it's not the same transmission
Old 06-05-2019, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm starting to get the feeling that for some folks their transmission has learned some bad habits, and the reported issues are the result of it. All modern automatic/semi-automatic transmissions learn one's driving style and adapt to it. It takes a few thousand miles and different driving situations for the transmission and the driver to get to know each other so to speak. I highly recommend avoiding stop&go traffic as much as possible during the first few thousand miles. That's not a good situation for the transmission to learn how you drive. My new C63CS is only now starting to feel right after about 3000 miles, coincidentally after I went to flog it on the Nurburgring. I've now had it in pretty much all the modes in various situations and at speeds up to 180 mph. Those with issues might wanna try to reset the transmission adaptations and start over. Not sure if the following procedure is still valid for the latest transmissions, but give it a go. BTW, the adaptions get reset after a firmware update as well, so you gonna have to give it time again to learn.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/

I already mentioned try resetting the adaptation in previous posts:

Originally Posted by munis
That is because the Mercedes adaptations are even better than the R8 then. The car remembers the last 26 shifts you have made. So if you were to redline the car in manual mode, the tranny adapts to changing late when you will be in auto next time. Hence it holds the first gear. If you want to drive the car in auto but want some sportiness, drive it in Sports instead of S+, should shift earlier. S+ has not been designed for relaxed driving.
This has more to do with your tranny adaptations than software. The car is thinking that you want it to hold the 1st gear for longer. Hence it is not shifting. Sounds like a good trait to me. Two options, try resetting the adaptations at the dealership, or get into the habit of up shifting it using the pedals yourself, which is the far better option.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:56 PM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by alexasa
it's not the same transmission
Oh I know. The point I was making is that other vehicles are like plug and play. You get in a car and step on the peddle and the car goes. I believe they use the same transmission and engine in other vehicles and it doesn’t do that.

Don’t get me wrong, it rarely happens to me and I couldn’t careless, just saying....it shouldn’t be happening at all.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by SirJmon
Oh I know. The point I was making is that other vehicles are like plug and play. You get in a car and step on the peddle and the car goes. I believe they use the same transmission and engine in other vehicles and it doesn’t do that.

Don’t get me wrong, it rarely happens to me and I couldn’t careless, just saying....it shouldn’t be happening at all.
People should have to learn to drive Cars with Stick, not Automatic.
Hence no one in german forums is complaining about this Issue.
munis (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:39 AM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Malar
I am playing devils advocate. A car of this magnitude shouldn’t have this issue. That’s all I’m sayin’. I grew up driving a stick and this still happens to me once in awhile. And I highly doubt that nobody in the german forums have experienced this.

I love the car, don’t get me wrong. It just shouldn’t have even the potential to do this. No other car I have driven or even heard of, does this.
sweetnsassy (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:48 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
I can say that the B7 RS4's were notorious for a similar issue...And they are manuals. I had a Stage II clutch which only further amplified the issue. Each car in this great big world is different (minus rebadges). Each car must be learned by the driver as much as the car has to learn the driver. Not rocket science, This is regardless of price. BTW... Manuals are still the greatest. Definitely an anti theft device these days!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 AM

C43 AMG
If my Nissan 350Z manual would be jumpy in first Gear i knew it was my fault.

The C43 is still a 30k euro C180 with a different Engine and a different Software. When you're expecting S-Class Comfort driving in S+ in a Traffic Jam you probably need to read a book about expectations and not a Forum.
munis (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:05 AM

GLS450, AMG C43 Cabriolet

The C43 is still a 30k euro C180 with a different Engine and a different Software. When you're expecting S-Class Comfort driving in S+ in a Traffic Jam you probably need to read a book about expectations and not a Forum.
I still don't understand why the heck people are driving in S+ mode in stop and go traffic. That's literally the reason for having the adjustable performance options.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jujigatame:
sieglo (06-07-2019), sweetnsassy (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM

2019 C43 AMG
BTW... Manuals are still the greatest. Definitely an anti theft device these days!
Haha true that.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:19 AM

GLS450, AMG C43 Cabriolet
My son just learned to drive and got his licence a few months ago. I wanted to teach him to drive a stick, but NO ONE I know has one except for my buddy with a Z07 Vette and he isn't letting me teach my kid to drive stick on that beast.

Most driving schools don't even offer it anymore.

Kids today barely even ride bikes with gears anymore so explaining low vs high gear was not an easy task at all!
Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Originally Posted by Jujigatame
My son just learned to drive and got his licence a few months ago. I wanted to teach him to drive a stick, but NO ONE I know has one except for my buddy with a Z07 Vette and he isn't letting me teach my kid to drive stick on that beast.

Most driving schools don't even offer it anymore.

Kids today barely even ride bikes with gears anymore so explaining low vs high gear was not an easy task at all!
I will be teaching my son on my S2000... Too bad the transmission is silky smooth vs. a super clunker....
Jujigatame (06-07-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing

your 350Z was jumpy or was rocking back and forth? I do agree that S+ in stop-n-go is not ideal but I do it for the sound not responsiveness.

I can say that the B7 RS4's were notorious for a similar issue...And they are manuals. I had a Stage II clutch which only further amplified the issue. Each car in this great big world is different (minus rebadges). Each car must be learned by the driver as much as the car has to learn the driver. Not rocket science, This is regardless of price. BTW... Manuals are still the greatest. Definitely an anti theft device these days!

I am not familiar with that Audi but I don't think you can compare it to C43. This never happens in C43 if you control the gears and shift manually. C43 problem occurs when you press on gas exactly at the same time as it is shifting 1-2 gear.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will make a serious bet. I am located in Toronto. If any of the guys who are having this problem and think it is an issue with the car, if you are near me, PM me, and let me drive your car around the block. If the same thing happens when I drive it, I will buy you the best steak dinner in the city.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by AMGiggity
your 350Z was jumpy or was rocking back and forth? I do agree that S+ in stop-n-go is not ideal but I do it for the sound not responsiveness.

I am not familiar with that Audi but I don't think you can compare it to C43. This never happens in C43 if you control the gears and shift manually. C43 problem occurs when you press on gas exactly at the same time as it is shifting 1-2 gear.
His z350 and my manual plus everyones manual in here, we dont shift to first gear when downshifting nor dump the clutch on 1st going 10kph to 5kph. What we do is depress the clutch in 1st or second and coast to stop.

Our c43 in other hand, switches to 1gear and jerks there **** out of you in S+

Last edited by stockbmw; 06-10-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
I will make a serious bet. I am located in Toronto. If any of the guys who are having this problem and think it is an issue with the car, if you are near me, PM me, and let me drive your car around the block. If the same thing happens when I drive it, I will buy you the best steak dinner in the city.
I'm in Toronto too. I saw a blue c43 around Yonge and major Mac that looks like your dp or someone on ig.
Anyway, I only had this problem on the first couple of weeks of owning the car. Mine is resolved now. You can still buy a nice steak dinner though.

Raptors making history tonight
Old 06-10-2019, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mcschan86
I'm in Toronto too. I saw a blue c43 around Yonge and major Mac that looks like your dp or someone on ig.
Anyway, I only had this problem on the first couple of weeks of owning the car. Mine is resolved now. You can still buy a nice steak dinner though.

Raptors making history tonight

So it does not happen anymore? Good job haha. You might have seen me, easy to identify with the Vorsteiner rims. I am 1fast43 on IG.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
So it does not happen anymore? Good job haha. You might have seen me, easy to identify with the Vorsteiner rims. I am 1fast43 on IG.
No it doesn't happen anymore after the first week or two. So that's you on IG. I followed you. Nice pics. I'm 43red.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mcschan86
No it doesn't happen anymore after the first week or two. So that's you on IG. I followed you. Nice pics. I'm 43red.
Followed you.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C450 | BRABUS 600 AMG GT | C63S
if you learned driving stick, you know why "it jerks" and you need to let your foot off the gas, since you can't control clutch in automatic. you need to adapt yourself of how TC engage in this automatic transmission.
RichardCranium3 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by w62820616
if you learned driving stick, you know why "it jerks" and you need to let your foot off the gas, since you can't control clutch in automatic. you need to adapt yourself of how TC engage in this automatic transmission.
close but this is not how i'd describe it. Shifting in low gears in a manual is clunky up until a certain speed - theoretically - what changes that is the manipulation and feathering of the clutch. This car shifts perfectly after X MPH and can be clunky prior to that.

Goes back to teaching someone stick - once they get moving they could drive all day because the clutch is much more forgiving in higher gears/higher speeds.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
I am late to the convo but my 17 GLC43 does this. It only happens when I am playing around in S+ while in the city or stop-and-go traffic. This happened to me the other day after driving pretty aggressive on the freeway and then ran into stand still traffic at a construction zone. Seeing that I was still in S+ I didn't think anything of it when I let go of the gas and tried to moderate 1st gear it started bucking in front of some construction workers (pretty embarrassing) but I knew to up shift using the paddles. I live in the inner city and I don't get many opportunities to open the car up so I drive in S+ every time I get in the truck to hear the exhaust farts and bangs as it so exhilarating. Easy fix to the bucking is to not be driving in S+ unless I am road raging most of the time or keeping my truck in S+ and manual mode.

I also think that not only is this a driver error, but also a transmission adaptation/learning issue. To be clear about that, is sometimes I drive like a grandma in sport+ but I like to hear my exhaust noise. Sometimes I drive like a raging demon and tear up the streets from stop light to stop light. Then I have those instances where I am in sport+ but only driving to grocery store which is just a block away. I think from the different type of driving styles I am doing in S+, the transmission trying to adapt is like: "WTF are you doing bud, drive aggressive or be a biatch". Meaning it's always adapting to me. I am used to the bucking now because I know I am mainly causing it. I wouldn't have it any other way LOL.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DameMD
I am late to the convo but my 17 GLC43 does this. It only happens when I am playing around in S+ while in the city or stop-and-go traffic. This happened to me the other day after driving pretty aggressive on the freeway and then ran into stand still traffic at a construction zone. Seeing that I was still in S+ I didn't think anything of it when I let go of the gas and tried to moderate 1st gear it started bucking in front of some construction workers (pretty embarrassing) but I knew to up shift using the paddles. I live in the inner city and I don't get many opportunities to open the car up so I drive in S+ every time I get in the truck to hear the exhaust farts and bangs as it so exhilarating. Easy fix to the bucking is to not be driving in S+ unless I am road raging most of the time or keeping my truck in S+ and manual mode.

I also think that not only is this a driver error, but also a transmission adaptation/learning issue. To be clear about that, is sometimes I drive like a grandma in sport+ but I like to hear my exhaust noise. Sometimes I drive like a raging demon and tear up the streets from stop light to stop light. Then I have those instances where I am in sport+ but only driving to grocery store which is just a block away. I think from the different type of driving styles I am doing in S+, the transmission trying to adapt is like: "WTF are you doing bud, drive aggressive or be a biatch". Meaning it's always adapting to me. I am used to the bucking now because I know I am mainly causing it. I wouldn't have it any other way LOL.
That probably sums up the issue.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Coupe
<<<< from Toronto as well ... i'll add you up ... I hope to get involved in some car meets (around Heartland) w/ german cars hopefully haha
Old 06-20-2019, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Seqqsy
<<<< from Toronto as well ... i'll add you up ... I hope to get involved in some car meets (around Heartland) w/ german cars hopefully haha
Sure. I usually go to heartland in the weekends.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please stop complaining about transmission issues and fix your driving instead.