Sponsored by:

Catless Downpipes w/o CEL? Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Catless Downpipes w/o CEL? Warranty?

I am probably getting a new exhaust system soon. The only question is if I will get Catless Downpipes. The maker (EH Exhaust) is claiming that their catless downpipes do not trigger CEL and will not require a tune to avoid CEL.

My question are these 2:

1. If your catless downpipes do not trigger CEL, how would this affect your warranty since there is not CEL to warn the service mechanic that your car is tune? I know the downpipes will make the car louder so that might warn the dealership even without the CEL, but the louder sound can also be attributed to the aftermarket Exhaust, right?

2. Can catless downpipes be designed to avoid triggering CEL without a tune? Is that even possible?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG
Originally Posted by waisoserious
I am probably getting a new exhaust system soon. The only question is if I will get Catless Downpipes. The maker (EH Exhaust) is claiming that their catless downpipes do not trigger CEL and will not require a tune to avoid CEL.

My question are these 2:

1. If your catless downpipes do not trigger CEL, how would this affect your warranty since there is not CEL to warn the service mechanic that your car is tune? I know the downpipes will make the car louder so that might warn the dealership even without the CEL, but the louder sound can also be attributed to the aftermarket Exhaust, right?

2. Can catless downpipes be designed to avoid triggering CEL without a tune? Is that even possible?
The dealership will not "know" you are tuned by the downpipes. The downpipes, if catless, could potentially set a check engine light for emissions if that readiness monitor has a no-go. That will in turn disable you from passing state inspections (based on your state). I work for Mercedes, downpipes will not affect your warranty unless there is a customer complaint that the cause being related to the downpipes. If they are aftermarket, and not covered or provided by the dealer it will void that aspect of your warranty, not all. Each dealership is different in dealing with tunes. Where I work, they don't give me trouble because they know me, and they know my car is tuned and modded-out. Other dealerships could potentially flag the car, if it is anything like the Audi's? But they cannot alter anything within the ECU without customer consent, so you would not send your car in with a Stage 2 tune and receive it back flashed to stock without consenting to it.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by TheeC450
The dealership will not "know" you are tuned by the downpipes. The downpipes, if catless, could potentially set a check engine light for emissions if that readiness monitor has a no-go. That will in turn disable you from passing state inspections (based on your state). I work for Mercedes, downpipes will not affect your warranty unless there is a customer complaint that the cause being related to the downpipes. If they are aftermarket, and not covered or provided by the dealer it will void that aspect of your warranty, not all. Each dealership is different in dealing with tunes. Where I work, they don't give me trouble because they know me, and they know my car is tuned and modded-out. Other dealerships could potentially flag the car, if it is anything like the Audi's? But they cannot alter anything within the ECU without customer consent, so you would not send your car in with a Stage 2 tune and receive it back flashed to stock without consenting to it.
let’s say I tried the downpipes and they triggered CEL, if I then removed the downpipes and went back to stock, would there still be a record that I had catless dps?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG
Not unless that somehow stores in your ECU which I do not believe it does. We have people lease $150,000 AMG's from us, Renntech/Weistec tune then with their power package upgrades which alters all bolt-ons, sometimes turbos etc. and still put the car back to stock, return the car and get another lease. You'll be fine.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan
The smell itself will alert the dealer. I have downpipes, going into the dealership next week for some warranty work (door handled led and brakes).
Old 10-13-2018, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Easy...

If you have aftermarket parts, MB won't have anything to do with warranty repairs on your entire powertrain. Warranty voided if they know it's aftermarket.

If the downpipe doesn't cause a CEL, that means that there is really no benefit over stock, so no power gains anyways.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:29 PM

I also want to have a dramatic change in my engine/exhaust notes. If I stick with stock dwnppes and only change the mid and muffler (valved), will I regret not changing the dwnps?