C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First drives???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
2008 C300, 2015 CLA 45 AMG, 2018 SLC 300, 2019 C43 AMG coupe, 2024 C63S E Performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx-...ature=youtu.be

Exhaust sound and drive sounds. Shared by @whitebright43
Old 12-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43
I picked mine up yesterday. I, too, am observing the break-in period. However, I decided to take a "streets-only" drive (instead of using highways, to avoid kicked-up rocks) on my way from the dealer to the shop where my paint protection is being applied. I was able to take the car through mountainous roads as a result.

I purposely drove an hour with flaps closed and an hour with flaps open to test the sound. I'm happy with it. Since I was only in comfort and not testing the enginge, I only noticed subdued growls and burbles. It was enough that I could hear it and appreciate that there was a lot more ready to unleash. Other drivers definitely heard the exhaust too, especially when pulling up to a stoplight.

I thought the handling was adequate. I wasn't bothered by the ride at all, but maybe it's preference. I don't really like a ride where I can't feel the imperfections in the road from time to time. I thought the grip was decent, which is more about the stock run-flats. I'll be switching to Pilot Sports eventually. I went through a lot of twisty, turny, mountain roads and the car felt amazing - even at speed.

I'll post further impressions after driving more.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C43
Originally Posted by sieglo
I've had my 2019 C43 coupe for about two weeks now and thought I'd post my review. I had the opportunity to drive a 2018 for several months earlier this year, so I have some unique perspective comparing pre-facelift vs. new model.
Exhaust:
This is a tough one. On startup, the car sounds almost identical. Driving...like I said, I've kept the RPMs low and generally driven conservatively. But compared to exercising a similar driving style in the 2018, I will say that the 2019 exhaust seems a bit muted. The upshift bangs are a bit deeper, but more muffled. Crackles and pops don't seem to happen as much. One thing I used to like to do in the 2018 was pop it into Sport+ coming off the highway. As you decelerated, the car would downshift, give you a nice manual transmission-feeling jolt as the engine braked the car, and you'd get some great crackles and pops -- really terrific stuff. I've tried this in Sport+ with the 2019 a couple times and it's just not the same. The 2019 transmission shifts more smoothly (probably thanks to all the snowflakes out there who have never driven a manual in their lives, complaining about the jerky transmission in the pre-facelift) and the awesome pops and bangs just don't happen. It also seems like those effects aren't as forthcoming in the overrun in Sport+ as with the pre-facelift, and when they materialize they are more muted. Maybe my perspective here will change as the car breaks in and I push it a bit harder -- I can hope!
Great write up!

I have to say, based on my first night with the 2019 and my various test drives with broken in 2017 and 2018s, I agree with your comments on the exhaust. Will have to revisit after a few k miles in various weather and driving styles. It is still enough sound to make it a much more fun driving experience than the competition, but it does seem more....tame, especially when you let off the gas.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
The OPF of course muffles the sound.
Its an C43 tho, for me a faster luxury car, not a sportscar.
If i want the "real feel" ill climb into the 370Z Nismo or the Alfa 4C.
i'd still be down for it to be louder with valves open, as long as it stays quiet if theyre closed.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD
Originally Posted by Malar
Its an C43 tho, for me a faster luxury car, not a sportscar.
I think that’s spot on, and specced my car accordingly.... the pre-facelift exhaust was totally epic, but also a bit embarrassing driving around the neighborhood and in the office parking garage. After all, I’m a grown *** man.

Last edited by sieglo; 12-16-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts on the C43 @sieglo - very insightful!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
for sure they are been shared in other threads, but here are a couple of reviews

Automann TV channel has about 3, 4 videos of the Coupe 2019. Looking at the catalog I see the coupe wheights nearly 1.900kg and the sedan 1.700kg.

and the review, it states the differences in power, sound etc... it¡s a shame they simply didn't arrive to 400bhp or just a little bit over.

Regards
Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
C 43
Only 250 miles on C43 Sedan, so still fresh. I'm following the book, so no over 4500 rpm or over 75, and no kick down. Car left in comfort mode just like the Manual says.

I have played with the shocks a bit, there is a definite difference between soft and plus....

I like that the controls are all intuitive. This is my first MB so I'm still learning how they think. 27 ways to do the same thing ? Voice recognition is more accurate than any past cars I've had and actually useful.

Touch pads on the wheel are great, you never take your hands off for 99 % of functions.

Bluetooth implementation is very good-calls are clear, both sides...not all cars do this well. CarPlay, using the wire, also very good. I like that you can CarPlay the phone, but still use MB Nav.

Music-speakers - my ears -not yet broken in, but Burmeister system is a must - quite pleased-carplay sounds better than bluetooth music, but that's due to bluetooth limitations overall.

Seats are very good (Regular seats).

Headlights are amazing. Beams steer with you. Automatic high beams are pretty good and yes, the beam shape does change. Caught a deer before it caught me, so I'm very pleased.

Nav system is very good. I know, waze waze waze,, but I go places where cell service can be spotty-I'm pleased with the nav so far, and waze cop alerts are WAY over rated.

Car appears to do exactly what I want...be a calm daily driver, that, if you ask, can be turned up to 11 and rip.

The car has sufficient power that you can pretty much be where you want, and I'm NOT pounding it. I'm looking forward to when it loosens up. The roll of torque at 2500-4500 rpm is full and eager.

PE mades a definite sound difference, but again, no idea if any power....still being gentle.

Chassis-my prior long termer was an e46 330i MSport (RIP, 334k Miles) so I'm spoiled, but...overall, the steering feel is very good. Brakes are huge and the car is toss able. Stiff chassis, you can feel it..not quite as twinkletoes as the e46, but surefooted and happy to change direction. The nine speed is the first autobox I've had that does not want to make me have a manual instead. The C43 has the same feel of "one with the car" that the 330i had, and that versions after E90 lost. The car is stiff in a good way.

Shifts (since this appears to be a topic) are mostly smooth-the box is still learning. No issues.

Dislikes - none yet. I'm not fond of run flats in general, but it is too soon to say anything, nothing is run in yet. I've felt worse iterations of run flat tires, so this is a "ok, I guess". I'm sure I'll be going for Michelin A/S4 or the DWS tires when these wear out, not RFT....

I would have liked to get the parking sensors without the need for the full suite of self driving stuff, but it wasn't possible. A minor quibble.

It was worth the wait !!!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:14 PM

C43
Originally Posted by speedlaw
Only 250 miles on C43 Sedan, so still fresh. I'm following the book, so no over 4500 rpm or over 75, and no kick down.
Where are you seeing no speeds above 75mph? I've heard a few people say that. Both my C-class AMG supplement (p. 10) and the sticker at the top of my windshield (driver side) say no speeds over 85mph.

Was the 75 a typo, or can you tell me what page of the manual has that?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:44 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by EdC43AMG
Automann TV channel has about 3, 4 videos of the Coupe 2019. Looking at the catalog I see the coupe wheights nearly 1.900kg and the sedan 1.700kg.
Hi,

My Coupé C43 2019 has an empty weight of 1750kg. This is with my current Spec (Premium package including Burmester, all assistance Systems, Panorama-Roof, Leather, ILS etc. etc.).
This has to be accurate because in Switzerland we pay tax by the Weight of the Car, so they put it on a Scale before giving out a number plate for it.

The empty weight is without transmission, Servo and engine Oil and without Gas.

Edit: The sticker on the Windscreen shows "max. 86 mph" or rather 140 km/h. The Car also won't break down if you overtake someone with 150 for a couple of seconds.
There's no need to keep it in Comfort as long as you shift manually and keep the RPMs below 4.5k RPM. The Book states this because if you put it in Sport+ without manual Mode the Car would Rev past 4.5k by itself.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
C 43
Originally Posted by Cirvin
Where are you seeing no speeds above 75mph? I've heard a few people say that. Both my C-class AMG supplement (p. 10) and the sticker at the top of my windshield (driver side) say no speeds over 85mph.

Was the 75 a typo, or can you tell me what page of the manual has that?

Thanks!
OOPS...typo. Manual says 85-no sticker on my ('bama Sedan)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:02 AM

C43
Originally Posted by speedlaw
OOPS...typo. Manual says 85-no sticker on my ('bama Sedan)
Thanks for clarifying. Odd that your sedan doesn't have a sticker, but mine (CA sedan) does. In any event, I would have found it much more challenging keeping the vehicle under 75mph than keeping the revs below 4500 rpm. Anyway, enjoy the car and great review.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
Originally Posted by Malar
Hi,

My Coupé C43 2019 has an empty weight of 1750kg. This is with my current Spec (Premium package including Burmester, all assistance Systems, Panorama-Roof, Leather, ILS etc. etc.).
This has to be accurate because in Switzerland we pay tax by the Weight of the Car, so they put it on a Scale before giving out a number plate for it.

The empty weight is without transmission, Servo and engine Oil and without Gas.

Edit: The sticker on the Windscreen shows "max. 86 mph" or rather 140 km/h. The Car also won't break down if you overtake someone with 150 for a couple of seconds.
There's no need to keep it in Comfort as long as you shift manually and keep the RPMs below 4.5k RPM. The Book states this because if you put it in Sport+ without manual Mode the Car would Rev past 4.5k by itself.
interesting, I download again the catalog and it seems they corrected it, jajajajaja
curb wieght,*Sedan it's 1705kg, Coupe 1750kg, State 1760kg and Cabrio 1880kg

How much you pay on taxes?

In Spain we have a tax based on the CO2, g/km with different ranges, the lowest and exempt is below 120 g/km and highest over 200 gr/km. ranges goes from 0%, 4,75%, 9,75% and highest 14,75% of the price without VAT(VAT it's additional with 21% of base price without taxes). In some Spanish regions the Registration tax it's increased to 16%, instead of 14,75% in this range. The C43 it's in the highest... around 210g/km if I remember well.

Regards
Old 12-20-2018, 03:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
W212E63s[rwd sold]W211E63[sold] 645ci [sold]2018 C63s Estate[sold], 2017 gla 45 [Sold] E46m3 [sold]
on the whole comfort mode only break in , I've recently run-in two mercs recently, a gla45 and c63s and in auto shifting mode , neither went high on the revs in sport or sport plus until each car reached around 800 to 850 miles on the clock , then revs would go up to around 4k if pushed. I used to use the pedals to force higher revs for a brief period of a second or two up to 3.5 k with fewer miles on the clock and then higher after around 600 miles just to let the engine open up slowly. I assume the 43 software management will be similar in terms of the vehicle shifting early during the run in. i hardly ever found the revs going higher than 3k. key is ofcourse to not do any kickdowns or drive too hard. I find the throttle response is a lot more predictible in sport mode and sport plus which is why I preferred to drive that way rather than comfort mode which is great for what it is, but not if you want to drive a little bit faster. I could be wrong about the 43 being designed like the 45 and 63 in terms of rev management during the break in period but somehow I think Merc have covered all bases to protect the engine etc
Old 12-20-2018, 03:59 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by EdC43AMG
interesting, I download again the catalog and it seems they corrected it, jajajajaja
curb wieght,*Sedan it's 1705kg, Coupe 1750kg, State 1760kg and Cabrio 1880kg

How much you pay on taxes?

In Spain we have a tax based on the CO2, g/km with different ranges, the lowest and exempt is below 120 g/km and highest over 200 gr/km. ranges goes from 0%, 4,75%, 9,75% and highest 14,75% of the price without VAT(VAT it's additional with 21% of base price without taxes). In some Spanish regions the Registration tax it's increased to 16%, instead of 14,75% in this range. The C43 it's in the highest... around 210g/km if I remember well.

Regards
Its a bit difficult here in Switzerland, it depends in which "Canton" you're living. I'm in Berne so we pay taxes based on the max. weight of the Car. This would be around 2100kg for the Coupé.
I pay 400 CHF Taxes annually, thats 350 Euro or 405 Dollar.