Rear AMG Caliper Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by jonathan358
Thanks for the updates. Will you also be changing the proportioning valves with the new 63 calipers?
do you mean abs module or master cylinder? No i am not. the volume of the cylinders appears to be similar. I am sure it is more but not by much.
The following users liked this post:
jonathan358 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by TModelle
Can you remind us is this for Coupe only or Sedan too?

I like your option (1) above that upgrades both front and rear using Brembo standard rings.

Which option did you end up doing?

If you don’t mind, I’m going to contact you about this, if I joined in maybe it can help defray some costs.
yes i am doing option 1. c63s with brembo oem rotors all 4 corners. pm me if interested.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by Star4life
yes i am doing option 1. c63s with brembo oem rotors all 4 corners. pm me if interested.
How much did all of that cost you?
Old 01-06-2020, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by JonWu
How much did all of that cost you?
about 3.5k-4k. i bought everything brand new though. if you wanted to go cheaper, i saw a used set of calipers on ebay for $1500, then rotors cost another $1400,

keep in mind, you are upgrading to a brembo bbk system. so 4k is about right. in this case i think its a good value because you are getting 2 piece rotors as well in addition to upgrading the size of rotors to 390mm and 360mm vs the stock 360mm and 320mm. so its an upgrade in every aspect while maintaining about the same weight as oem.

also i am letting my old brakes wear out before i do the swap so i would have needed to spend 1k to replace those anyway.

Hrd_workin (11-13-2021)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:38 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
about 3.5k-4k. i bought everything brand new though. if you wanted to go cheaper, i saw a used set of calipers on ebay for $1500, then rotors cost another $1400,

keep in mind, you are upgrading to a brembo bbk system. so 4k is about right. in this case i think its a good value because you are getting 2 piece rotors as well in addition to upgrading the size of rotors to 390mm and 360mm vs the stock 360mm and 320mm. so its an upgrade in every aspect while maintaining about the same weight as oem.

also i am letting my old brakes wear out before i do the swap so i would have needed to spend 1k to replace those anyway.
are you planning to go with with the Porterfield R4-S pads? I tried them previously and wasn't too happy with them. They dun screech when cold and when very hot, but in between they make ALOT of noise when braking. And they still have alot of brake dust (less than originals though).

Eventually i settled down with the cheaper Powerstop ceramic pads, and am very happy with them. They bite really well, and i don't have to wash my wheels as frequently as before. LOL
Old 01-07-2020, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by dagger22
are you planning to go with with the Porterfield R4-S pads? I tried them previously and wasn't too happy with them. They dun screech when cold and when very hot, but in between they make ALOT of noise when braking. And they still have alot of brake dust (less than originals though).

Eventually i settled down with the cheaper Powerstop ceramic pads, and am very happy with them. They bite really well, and i don't have to wash my wheels as frequently as before. LOL
yes my plan was r4s. are you sure you got r4s and not r4 compound? i loved mine when i had them on one of my old cars. they were quiet and very little dust.

i may run oem first though since i have rear pads already i got for free. but idk yet.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:06 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
yes my plan was r4s. are you sure you got r4s and not r4 compound? i loved mine when i had them on one of my old cars. they were quiet and very little dust.

i may run oem first though since i have rear pads already i got for free. but idk yet.
yeah pretty sure i ordered and received the R4s. Have seen mixed reviews online for these, unfortunately i belonged to the nays.

and they arent cheap to start with as well.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I too use PowerStop Carbon Ceramic Pads. I’m in love with them, simply because of the dustless pads and no squeaks. I can go weekst without cleaning my wheels, and you wouldn’t even notice. These pads don’t have the great initial bite as the OEM pads, but the trade off is no dust. 😃
dagger22 (01-07-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C-Class AMG
How did this all work out. I will use the OEM C63 calipers but what about the rotors - is there a specific model of Brembo or can another type be used? How did you figure out the clearance or alignment issues with the calipers mounted on your C43?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGnutt
How did this all work out. I will use the OEM C63 calipers but what about the rotors - is there a specific model of Brembo or can another type be used? How did you figure out the clearance or alignment issues with the calipers mounted on your C43?
i still do not have them installed. i am having custom rotor hats machined for the rear. I bought the sl65 amg black series rear rotors and machining the hat. not cheap. should have on in the next few months.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
C450 AMG
Slightly off topic but anyone have experience with EBC yellowstuff?
Old 02-13-2020, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
May we ask How many C43/C450 owners are interested in the conversion upgrade. We have the knowledge and resource to make the required components for a bolt on installation instead guessing, try & error lengthy experiment on your part.
However it would take our effort and burden on inventory so we can't justify make them only one or two sets and "wait for" inquiry, so it's all up to you to make it happen.

Meantime time please feel free to take a look on our recent development for Tesla Model 3 brake. RB is first and only brake company supporting Tesla especially for M3 Performance model track racers who rely on RB brake products to keep up with "Big Boys"
Another fun day at BRP. Below was my most action packed session of the day. Having a great time battling Porsche GT4, Mclaren 600LT, 370z, S2K and 86. With guest appearance of Audi R8 GT3 and Ferrari 488
Complete RB brake offer for Tesla M3 & M3P
https://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7606.htm
Old 02-13-2020, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 Mercedes AMG C43
I'd be interested in a bolt-on solution that I could buy as a kit all from the same place.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
May we ask How many C43/C450 owners are interested in the conversion upgrade. We have the knowledge and resource to make the required components for a bolt on installation instead guessing, try & error lengthy experiment on your part.
However it would take our effort and burden on inventory so we can't justify make them only one or two sets and "wait for" inquiry, so it's all up to you to make it happen.

Meantime time please feel free to take a look on our recent development for Tesla Model 3 brake. RB is first and only brake company supporting Tesla especially for M3 Performance model track racers who rely on RB brake products to keep up with "Big Boys"
Another fun day at BRP. Below was my most action packed session of the day. Having a great time battling Porsche GT4, Mclaren 600LT, 370z, S2K and 86. With guest appearance of Audi R8 GT3 and Ferrari 488
I would not be interested at this time. I have tried calling your company multiple times about this upgrade, I get the same guy on the phone telling me to email the owner or whoever actually knows what they are doing and guess what, no response. I have tried reaching out multiple times. I think i finally got a response at some point but with no meaningful information or feedback. I have given offset info, part numbers etc. They should have just called me. As an owner of a small business myself, anytime someone needs technical information that my employees wouldn't know how to help with, I am there to help. I am not a fan of the experience I had with them.

SO anyway I made my own setup and already have the custom rotors hats being machined ready for the c450/43 using OEM brembo rotor which have many years of testing and oem support to make sure it wont fail under high stress.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:48 PM

2017 C-Class AMG
Please add me to the custom rear rotor list. I have a C43
Old 03-06-2020, 01:51 PM

2017 C-Class AMG
Can you share the info on where you got the rotor hats machines. I would like to do the same
Old 03-09-2020, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGnutt
Can you share the info on where you got the rotor hats machines. I would like to do the same
pm me. i did the machining myself.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Hello All

Just finished the rear and front c63s brake upgrade on a c43!

Rear takes sl65 black series rear rotors and you must modify the rotor hat. Unfortunately this upgrade will not work on c63 due to offset. sorry c63 guys. you would need to make a completely custom hat to use these brembo 2 piece rotors. These sl65 black series 2 piece rotor hats are steel oem to accommodate the drum parking brake on these older cars with mechanical parking brake. This is not needed on newer cars with electric parking brake. I also had to replace wiring, brake lines, and modify oem dust shield. But it all is pretty much bolt on and plug and play with c63s parts. You must run 19" wheels or special 18" to clear these brakes! for the front, i machined brackets and used oem dust shield. replaced brake hose with c63 hoses and everything else was bolt on for the 390mm rotors! these will only work with 19" wheels.

I am looking to get a group together to make these rear hats out of aluminium to save about 4 lbs per corner! You can just upgrade the rear brakes if you want the look but IMO the fronts being larger look great and perform great as well!

jonathan358 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
Hello All

Just finished the rear and front c63s brake upgrade on a c43!

Rear takes sl65 black series rear rotors and you must modify the rotor hat. Unfortunately this upgrade will not work on c63 due to offset. sorry c63 guys. you would need to make a completely custom hat to use these brembo 2 piece rotors. These sl65 black series 2 piece rotor hats are steel oem to accommodate the drum parking brake on these older cars with mechanical parking brake. This is not needed on newer cars with electric parking brake. I also had to replace wiring, brake lines, and modify oem dust shield. But it all is pretty much bolt on and plug and play with c63s parts. You must run 19" wheels or special 18" to clear these brakes! for the front, i machined brackets and used oem dust shield. replaced brake hose with c63 hoses and everything else was bolt on for the 390mm rotors! these will only work with 19" wheels.

I am looking to get a group together to make these rear hats out of aluminium to save about 4 lbs per corner! You can just upgrade the rear brakes if you want the look but IMO the fronts being larger look great and perform great as well!

Great work. How much did this cost you in total?
Old 03-29-2020, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by JonWu
Great work. How much did this cost you in total?
I have been doing the same project independently and am about two weeks behind Star4life in terms of finishing.

The costs definitely add up really quickly even though it’s a bit here and a bit there accumulating the parts required.

Depending on your source for the parts prices vary quite a bit, but I do not see anything less than $6k for the project - which is essentially a 390mm Front and 360mm Rear 2-piece rotor setup - a real alternative to an aftermarket caliper kit although I don’t expect too many will want to spend that much on brakes. Those who do are “outliers” as one guy once called me on this forum.

I find projects like these fun.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by RacingBrake

I'd be interested... I think.

Basically, I'm looking for better performing brakes (mine have been struggling with some of the canyon roads around here) and better-looking rears. Star4Life did awesome but a cheaper option would definitely be preferable.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Charles T
I'd be interested... I think.

Basically, I'm looking for better performing brakes (mine have been struggling with some of the canyon roads around here) and better-looking rears. Star4Life did awesome but a cheaper option would definitely be preferable.
Anything from Racing Brake or any other outfit for that matter ain’t gonna be cheaper than this self developed upgrade that Star4life and I are doing. They need to make a margin, as they are a business, so I don’t blame them.

As long as you are talking upgrade of calipers and rotors, it’s never ever going to be less than 4K to 6k range (depending on your source of parts). If you don’t want to spend that amount, then just a pad upgrade is the only thing you could possibly do.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:58 PM

C43
I'd imagine there'd be some economies of scale for the outfits. $4k would be great! Although correct me if I'm wrong but the $6k is front and back, rotors, calipers, and pads?
Old 04-12-2020, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Charles T
I'd imagine there'd be some economies of scale for the outfits. $4k would be great! Although correct me if I'm wrong but the $6k is front and back, rotors, calipers, and pads?
Economies of scale only applies if there are enough ppl interested at all. The exact reason why Racing Brake posted that up there. They aren’t going to stock, and they are looking for confirmed customers from this thread. Look at the results, only two guys - Star4life and myself - who are willing to spend more than 4k and who have done it ourselves because outfits like Racing Brake won’t make one or two kits (they said so in their post) and only one guy only maybe interested - you - but wouldn’t not prefer to spend 6k. Sounds bleak for any company making brake kits. There are no economies for scale to be had at all.

In any case, the cost price for Brembo or TRW quality calipers, pads and rotors will never be less than 4k no matter what you do, nevermind customized brackets, hoses and such. Economies of scale to bring that down could only be realised if MOQ is at least a couple of thousand units.

Yes, we are talking front and rear full kits. Star4life managed to keep it at 4k (he managed to get a few good deals), I myself managed to get away with around 4.6k, but if you bought everything retail without getting special deals here and there, or trade discounts, full retail would be about 6k that’s my estimate.

I’m sure Star4life can hook you up if you’re interested I the full kit at around 4k. He is stateside, while I am in Asia. One of the reasons why he can get better pricing than me. It’s a good kit, all original MB or Brembo stuff. Except the front brackets.

Last edited by TModelle; 04-12-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:40 AM

C43
Star4Life's earlier posts made it seems like it would be an easy conversion for Racing Brake from the C63's which is where my economies of scale thinking came in. I know very little about brakes though so I appreciate the clarification. I'll be sure to hit him up when my rotors are a little closer to needing replacement

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear AMG Caliper Upgrade?