C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise 2017 C43 Sedan while coasting - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 02:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
C450 AMG
After having now read this thread I can confirm my rear diff is also whining. Particularly in cold weather, and the faster you go the louder it gets. I began to hear it over 80mph, but now that I know what I'm listening for I can hear it *barely* at even around 70-75mph. The faster you go the louder it gets. At over 100mph it is very loud in the cabin. Will address the issue with MB after they resolve my trans issue.
2016 c450 amg
Old 01-14-2020, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Matthew Cohen
After having now read this thread I can confirm my rear diff is also whining. Particularly in cold weather, and the faster you go the louder it gets. I began to hear it over 80mph, but now that I know what I'm listening for I can hear it *barely* at even around 70-75mph. The faster you go the louder it gets. At over 100mph it is very loud in the cabin. Will address the issue with MB after they resolve my trans issue.
2016 c450 amg
Sorry to hear you’re having the issue. Yours takes place at much higher speeds, which is sort of a blessing I suppose.

I don’t know how much longer I’m keeping my car, but I’ve noticed a new issue where it feels like the steering wheel is vibrating like a jackhammer at speeds of 70+ mph.

My whining is still present, even after 3 diffs and “special” diff dampers being installed back in September - October. It’s just more muted now.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:16 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by zibby43
Sorry to hear you’re having the issue. Yours takes place at much higher speeds, which is sort of a blessing I suppose.

I don’t know how much longer I’m keeping my car, but I’ve noticed a new issue where it feels like the steering wheel is vibrating like a jackhammer at speeds of 70+ mph.

My whining is still present, even after 3 diffs and “special” diff dampers being installed back in September - October. It’s just more muted now.
My steering has slight intermitting pulse at 70+ mph. I could feel it but after I slow down or wonder away, I forget it until next day. Feels like you are driving on newly 10 ft patched road then old 10 ft and so on. Doubt dealer will notice this when I bring it up with them
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,493 Likes on 2,120 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)

Sorry to hear your steering wheel is vibrating like a jack hammer.

Sorry for your disappointment with the car given how the differential is still whining after several replacements. Looks like Mercedes hasn't figured out the issue yet.

I didn't have much luck getting that many differentials replaced (as they aren't willing to work with me) but a TIPS case was opened. I don't have much hope getting this fixed but I won't give up yet.

Just that I have my winters on so the winter tire noise is covering the whining noise, will need to deal with it later.

As for vibration on the steering wheel, I thought it was my all seasons after swapping on winters, there seems to be vibration as well at 120+ km/hr. The steering wheel vibration comes and then stops and then comes and then repeat on smooth highway roads.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by stockbmw
My steering has slight intermitting pulse at 70+ mph. I could feel it but after I slow down or wonder away, I forget it until next day. Feels like you are driving on newly 10 ft patched road then old 10 ft and so on. Doubt dealer will notice this when I bring it up with them
That is a good way to describe it : A pulse.
That is what I meant by comes and goes and then repeat.
That is exactly how it felt like
Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I don't think I've found a better description of the symptoms. It's interesting that both of our cars have had the whining noise *and* this symptom, as well.

I've given up on the diff. issue. My most pressing concern is the rattling and popping noises coming from the top of the windshield and sunroof when moisture freezes there. The list of unresolved problems/replaced parts on this car eclipses the total from all my previous cars combined.

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL

Sorry for your disappointment with the car given how the differential is still whining after several replacements. Looks like Mercedes hasn't figured out the issue yet.

I didn't have much luck getting that many differentials replaced (as they aren't willing to work with me) but a TIPS case was opened. I don't have much hope getting this fixed but I won't give up yet.

Just that I have my winters on so the winter tire noise is covering the whining noise, will need to deal with it later.

As for vibration on the steering wheel, I thought it was my all seasons after swapping on winters, there seems to be vibration as well at 120+ km/hr. The steering wheel vibration comes and then stops and then comes and then repeat on smooth highway roads.
Thanks man! I guess we can all take a small amount of solace in knowing that we aren't alone in these struggles haha.

You also describe the vibrating noise perfectly.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

I don't think I've found a better description of the symptoms. It's interesting that both of our cars have had the whining noise *and* this symptom, as well.

I've given up on the diff. issue. My most pressing concern is the rattling and popping noises coming from the top of the windshield and sunroof when moisture freezes there. The list of unresolved problems/replaced parts on this car eclipses the total from all my previous cars combined.

Thanks man! I guess we can all take a small amount of solace in knowing that we aren't alone in these struggles haha.

You also describe the vibrating noise perfectly.
Yup. I wish you the best luck in getting the vibration issue solved as well.

My dealership will simply blame my winter tires on the vibration so will have to get it checked out later...

Doesn't help with the situation since my winters aren't OEM but I don't want bent or crack rim headaches on my winters as well. Plus they don't sell Blizzaks in dealerships I am given no choice.

Please do let me know if you do get your issue solved and if you are willing to share about the cause of the issue, so I know what to ask my dealership to check next time the vehicle have OEMs in.

That will be greatly appreciated and should be helpful to others in the forums that is facing the issue.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 01-15-2020 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Hmmm...

I just noticed the sound is louder than ever when I gently apply the brakes at a hill decline when it reaches the 81-90 range of speeds. Weird, because I never noticed this before, maybe I need to pay attention...

After I apply greater than the threshold of what is considered as gentle braking, the sound is as loud as how other members are experiencing, for example when they are coasting.

I am getting consistent whining noise when coasting like others are too but I just realized braking in a way when descending a hill really makes it whine extremely loud.

I am wondering if others are getting the same result too?
Old 01-31-2020, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Hmmm...

I just noticed the sound is louder than ever when I gently apply the brakes at a hill decline when it reaches the 81-90 range of speeds. Weird, because I never noticed this before, maybe I need to pay attention...

After I apply greater than the threshold of what is considered as gentle braking, the sound is as loud as how other members are experiencing, for example when they are coasting.

I am getting consistent whining noise when coasting like others are too but I just realized braking in a way when descending a hill really makes it whine extremely loud.

I am wondering if others are getting the same result too?
Have you inquired with the dealership about OEM "diff dampers"?

I haven't heard the whining noise in a little over a month now. Only *major* issue I'm left with at the moment is the pulsing steering wheel at speeds of 70+ mph.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Have you inquired with the dealership about OEM "diff dampers"?

I haven't heard the whining noise in a little over a month now. Only *major* issue I'm left with at the moment is the pulsing steering wheel at speeds of 70+ mph.
I didn't but thanks for your suggestion. Before I put on the winters, after swapping the diff the noise was still present. So they insist to break it in, did your dealer insist the same or they just went ahead and order new ones right away?
Old 01-31-2020, 06:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

As for the pulsing steering wheel issue, are you going to get it checked? If so please do let us know the results as it will be helpful to all other members on this forums that might be experiencing the issue.

I can't get mines checked until swapping back to summer.
Another new noise I have is vent whistling noise after the engine is warm and the climate is on auto... It is quite loud too and I can't figure out which vent as it started yesterday.
Need to get that checked out soon.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I didn't but thanks for your suggestion. Before I put on the winters, after swapping the diff the noise was still present. So they insist to break it in, did your dealer insist the same or they just went ahead and order new ones right away?
Back in October, after installing multiple diffs, the dealer was instructed by Germany to install the diff damper bushings. The first few weeks driving the car after installation, the noise was still present on an intermittent basis.

After a few hundred miles, the diff noise finally vanished. It has been cold here, but I still haven't heard it.

But, to answer your question, no, I was not told any break-in would be required for noise-abatement purposes. I did a 1,000 mile break-in on my original diff, but with this one, I've just been driving the car like I stole it because I didn't care anymore lol.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
As for the pulsing steering wheel issue, are you going to get it checked? If so please do let us know the results as it will be helpful to all other members on this forums that might be experiencing the issue.

I can't get mines checked until swapping back to summer.
Another new noise I have is vent whistling noise after the engine is warm and the climate is on auto... It is quite loud too and I can't figure out which vent as it started yesterday.
Need to get that checked out soon.
If I end up keeping the car, I'll probably get it checked. If I get a '20 C43, I'm just going to get my head examined for getting another 43 instead.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

If I end up keeping the car, I'll probably get it checked. If I get a '20 C43, I'm just going to get my head examined for getting another 43 instead.
Maybe look at competitors then? Or look at CLA 45s? Idk...
As for the pulsing vibration issue, if anyone else is experiencing it please let us know.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300
Interesting. I notice the same thing on my 2016 C300 4 matic. Only when coasting from 58 mph down to 50 mph or so there will be a high pitch whistle whine noise that decreases in tone with vehicle speed reduction. Its almost imperceptible and most passengers wont notice. Pretty troubling that it is so common and replacing the diff numerous times doesnt fix it. I just thought it was a characteristic harmonization of the RFT tires.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

@GWSHARK
Hi GWSHARK, I hope you are doing well during these unprecedented times and hope you are staying safe.
I haven't hear any update from you on the differential whining and I hope you had got it resolved already.
I am on my 2nd rear diff (1st replacement) and the dealership isn't willing to work on it further saying it is designed like this if the replacement is like this. That whining noises is actually louder on this 2nd differential .
Just curious but do you experience any other issues (I hope not, and it is just me but):
1. Jerking transmission on downshift from gear 4 to 3 and then 3 to 2 + transmission noise when it comes to a complete stop
2. Pulsing vibration on the highway (basically like how other members describe it, smooth freshly paved roads and then suddenly construction site type of vibration)
Thanks in advance for answering the questions!
If anyone else that knows more and would like to charm in, please do so!
Old 06-10-2020, 07:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Hi @W205C43PFL the differential problem appears to be solved, 4th one did it. ???? As for vibration it’s still there, I’ve had e sets of tire / wheels and still exactly same , slight repetitive at around 95-115 km/h. My lease is up this month, to be honest I don’t know what I’m going to do, I’m on the fence about this car. I may try and get the vibration dealt with one last time before deciding on it long term. Are you located in GTA? If so can recommend dealership that I worked with. Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Hi @GWSHARK Thanks for your reply man and yes I do live in the GTA. I am glad the 4th differential replacement did it for you! I am sorry that you are still experiencing the vibration issues though, did you suggest them to check the driveshaft?
Glad you don't experience the jerkiness and bang sound of the transmission that I am experiencing though, I know this transmission has a jerky nature so I don't know what is normal anymore especially this bang sound.
Do you experience any jerky transmission issue at all or all the software update over the years solved it? The software updates made it worse for me though.
Yes it will be tremendous help if you can recommend me the dealership you worked with and the people that helped solved your issue.
Appreciate it man!
Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i

Did you ever get the vibration on the steering wheel fixed? impossible right? its the same for me as well - its more noticeable on smooth new roads....dont know f its the material of the road or the quality of the newly paved roads or if its the engineering of the vehicle. Im noticing it on the new benzes, bmws and jaguars. Not sure if its just standard European/ sportier design.... as they dont want the steering wheel to feel numb? If so, its just too much unnecessary feedback in my opinion if it is by design. feels like a slightly bent rim...
Old 06-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
Did you ever get the vibration on the steering wheel fixed? impossible right? its the same for me as well - its more noticeable on smooth new roads....dont know f its the material of the road or the quality of the newly paved roads or if its the engineering of the vehicle. Im noticing it on the new benzes, bmws and jaguars. Not sure if its just standard European/ sportier design.... as they dont want the steering wheel to feel numb? If so, its just too much unnecessary feedback in my opinion if it is by design. feels like a slightly bent rim...
Hi, @jhpmbusa no, I didn't get the vibration fixed, the dealership just doesn't want to work with me at all. This vibration on the steering wheel is most likely a defective driveshaft (if it is pulsing vibration that comes and goes and comes and repeats like you go on a smooth paved road and then suddenly into a construction zone) , no it isn't your roads, it is the driveshaft.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:39 AM

2018 C43
I also have slight pulse on the steering wheel.

Had both diff and main propeller driveshaft replaced last year. The pulse don't bother me as much as the 80kmh feedback noise which was solved with new diff.
​​​​
Old 06-10-2020, 12:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

I also have slight pulse on the steering wheel.

Had both diff and main propeller driveshaft replaced last year. The pulse don't bother me as much as the 80kmh feedback noise which was solved with new diff.
​​​​
Thanks for your reply, @stockbmw . Did the driveshaft replacement fix the vibration issue or at least did it improve anything? Ya, the diff noise is annoying I agree.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:16 PM

2018 C43
Thanks for your reply, @stockbmw . Did the driveshaft replacement fix the vibration issue or at least did it improve anything? Ya, the diff noise is annoying I agree.
​​​​​like @GWSHARK the slight pulse on steering wheel is felt at around 110kmh when you are cruising at certain speed for extended period of time. I haven't felt it before the new driveshaft but I think the new one cause the new problem. And it's not vibration just pulse every 2 seconds like going over new and old pavement but there isn't any pavement difference.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

​​​​​like @GWSHARK the slight pulse on steering wheel is felt at around 110kmh when you are cruising at certain speed for extended period of time. I haven't felt it before the new driveshaft but I think the new one cause the new problem. And it's not vibration just pulse every 2 seconds like going over new and old pavement but there isn't any pavement difference.
@stockbmw , Hmmm that is very strange that it only happened after changing the driveshaft.... I also have that issue actually and exact same pulsing every 2 seconds and it is pretty much confirmed it is the driveshaft's fault but I am on the factory driveshaft haven't changed yet.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:09 PM

2018 C43
@stockbmw , Hmmm that is very strange that it only happened after changing the driveshaft.... I also have that issue actually and exact same pulsing every 2 seconds and it is pretty much confirmed it is the driveshaft's fault but I am on the factory driveshaft haven't changed yet.
Which dealer is it that's not helping out? Need to blacklist them.

I got my work done at maple mb.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whining noise 2017 C43 Sedan while coasting - thoughts?