C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise 2017 C43 Sedan while coasting - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,650 Likes on 2,254 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
@stockbmw

My dealership is Mercedes-Benz Newmarket.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
@W205C43PFL Newmarket was my first stop, they were not interested in helping me after first go around. Go to MB MARKHAM , they were very good to deal with and never appeared to be “annoyed” that I was back with same issue. My service advisor was Cornell and he was awesome.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

@GWSHARK , thanks for your reply and recommendation. I had went ahead and scheduled an appointment with MB Markham and with Cornell. I wonder if he is going to be there though as the earliest appointment is in late August and I don't know if he will come to work during this pandemic. MB Newmarket only has one service advisor working for example during this pandemic.

Speaking of the pandemic I wish you well and safe and I hope everyone else on the forums remains safe and well as well.

May I know which technician helped you fix the vehicle, or service manager or foreman?
What did you tell them, how did they identify the problem? Like generally what came to the conclusion of them admitting it is the rear differential?
Are you planning to get your driveshaft repaired as well? To fix the vibration. If so best of luck on that and keep me updated.

Thanks for all the help that you had provided already and any additional help that you can continue to provide!

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-10-2020 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 07-28-2020, 08:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Test drove a 2020 C43 today and the whining rear diff is present on another Alabama built sedan.
Anyone having a 2020 experiencing the problem?
Guess MB never fixed it even on their newest model year.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:03 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
the quality of this brand has really gone south since a few years ago once they really started focusing on cost cutting and profit. there are so many issues that shouldn't be there even in a"standard" brand... not to mention even on an expensive brand... vibrations from brakes??? that don't go away to vibrating steering wheel to whining rear diffs?? the worst part is the dealers don't even know how to fix it, or the problems comes back. These are bad engineering, parts and designs to begin with...

Every Class seems to have its own set of issues as well when browsing through the different Class' forums. highly considering trying out another brand once my current lease is up.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
the quality of this brand has really gone south since a few years ago once they really started focusing on cost cutting and profit. there are so many issues that shouldn't be there even in a"standard" brand... not to mention even on an expensive brand... vibrations from brakes??? that don't go away to vibrating steering wheel to whining rear diffs?? the worst part is the dealers don't even know how to fix it, or the problems comes back. These are bad engineering, parts and designs to begin with...

Every Class seems to have its own set of issues as well when browsing through the different Class' forums. highly considering trying out another brand once my current lease is up.
Ya it is pretty sad.... I guess that is why 80% (im not part of that) of new MBs in Canada are leased. It is even more sad when MB take advantage of that and just put cheap material and cost cut everywhere cuz they will just sell it to the next "victim" (at least they get CPO Warranty) when the car is lease returned for even more profit.
I wonder what are the 6500 new parts that MB bragged about on the facelift.
PS: Test drove a 2019 C43 on their lot and the whining diff sound is also present (is this just a coincidence?)
I am on the fence of getting a facelift C43 cuz been having issues with my current car but after these test drives I am thinking twice.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Test drove a 2020 C43 today and the whining rear diff is present on another Alabama built sedan.
Anyone having a 2020 experiencing the problem?
Guess MB never fixed it even on their newest model year.
Not to jinx myself, but my ‘20 C43 sedan (built in South Africa), has been rock solid so far.

Everything about the build quality/fit and finish has been noticeably superior to my ‘18 built in Alabama. My ‘18 made all sorts of weird noises after shutoff. My ‘20 is as quiet as my ’13 C63 was. Doors all thud with authority. Buttons click positively. Wipers are smooth.

I’ve only got 450 miles on it (thanks pandemic) since picking it up in late February, but it seems to get better the more I drive it.

Most of the high-performance cars I’ve driven, including E90 and F80 M3s, have a little diff noise. Or they’ll have tire noise from the wider rubber everywhere.

The whining I experienced on my ‘18 was like someone was sitting next to me in the passenger seat running their finger around the rim of a wine glass. It was very unpleasant.

With all the technology and electronics packed in these current generations of German cars, only the E and S-Class, with all of their sound insulation, seem to be whisper quiet.

How bad is the whining on the cars you are test driving? Do you have to listen for it with the radio off? Or is it impossible to ignore?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by zibby43
Not to jinx myself, but my ‘20 C43 sedan (built in South Africa), has been rock solid so far.

Everything about the build quality/fit and finish has been noticeably superior to my ‘18 built in Alabama. My ‘18 made all sorts of weird noises after shutoff. My ‘20 is as quiet as my ’13 C63 was. Doors all thud with authority. Buttons click positively. Wipers are smooth.

I’ve only got 450 miles on it (thanks pandemic) since picking it up in late February, but it seems to get better the more I drive it.

Most of the high-performance cars I’ve driven, including E90 and F80 M3s, have a little diff noise. Or they’ll have tire noise from the wider rubber everywhere.

The whining I experienced on my ‘18 was like someone was sitting next to me in the passenger seat running their finger around the rim of a wine glass. It was very unpleasant.

With all the technology and electronics packed in these current generations of German cars, only the E and S-Class, with all of their sound insulation, seem to be whisper quiet.

How bad is the whining on the cars you are test driving? Do you have to listen for it with the radio off? Or is it impossible to ignore?
@zibby43 ! How are you doing buddy. I am glad you are enjoying your car. Even tho you can't fully enjoy it cuz of the pandemic hopefully you can enjoy it more later on. That is the point: we spend all this money we should at least get to enjoy it, that was what we should had got in the first place, sorry for the trouble you dealt with on your 2018, very glad that you finally can properly enjoy the car.

As for the test drives, the sounds are very similar (quite loud actually too, but the radio was off tho, and the whining is the same speeds and same coasting or cruise control as the pre-facelift) , Idk if it is cuz the diffs needs to be broken in for the sound to disappear but I doubt it.

Speaking of E-class, the sound is present on a 2019 E450 coupe (which we both know it is Made in Germany). As for why I test drove this vehicle, I honestly can't remember lol, think it is because it has the same engine but I think the main reason is cuz I saw it on their lot (That reasoning probably makes no sense) but anyways, the E450 diff actually sound the same in terms of loudness (which I was surprised, Idk what is going on, maybe cuz they used the C43 diff in it? which is weird but anyways......)

I doubt we will ever get a South African built C43 in Canada so guess we are stuck with Alabama built C43 sedans.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
@zibby43 ! How are you doing buddy. I am glad you are enjoying your car. Even tho you can't fully enjoy it cuz of the pandemic hopefully you can enjoy it more later on. That is the point: we spend all this money we should at least get to enjoy it, that was what we should had got in the first place, sorry for the trouble you dealt with on your 2018, very glad that you finally can properly enjoy the car.

As for the test drives, the sounds are very similar (quite loud actually too, but the radio was off tho, and the whining is the same speeds and same coasting or cruise control as the pre-facelift) , Idk if it is cuz the diffs needs to be broken in for the sound to disappear but I doubt it.

Speaking of E-class, the sound is present on a 2019 E450 coupe (which we both know it is Made in Germany). As for why I test drove this vehicle, I honestly can't remember lol, think it is because it has the same engine but I think the main reason is cuz I saw it on their lot (That reasoning probably makes no sense) but anyways, the E450 diff actually sound the same in terms of loudness (which I was surprised, Idk what is going on, maybe cuz they used the C43 diff in it? which is weird but anyways......)

I doubt we will ever get a South African built C43 in Canada so guess we are stuck with Alabama built C43 sedans.
I'm doing well my friend, thanks for asking! It's definitely been a crazy few months. Hope you are doing well. I wish you guys had the same level of consumer protection laws in Canada that we do here in the States (at least with respect to cars). I'm pretty sure you would be able to get out of your current problem car and replace it with something you can enjoy. It's your hard-earned money you are paying, and at a certain point, you shouldn't have to be spending all of your time and energy getting it fixed.

That's very interesting that all of the cars you test drove had the issue, including the E. I test drove one other Alabama-built '20 before choosing my South African-built '20 (which I did not test drive beforehand, as it was on the showroom floor with almost no mileage). I did not notice the whining noise in the car I drove, which is what gave me the confidence to get another C43 after my negative experience with the '18.

South African builds are pretty rare in the U.S., too. They're kind of like unicorns in that regard lol. One thing that has stuck out to me is how amazing the leather quality is. The "new car" smell is still there, and the leather is very supple and soft.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

I'm doing well my friend, thanks for asking! It's definitely been a crazy few months. Hope you are doing well. I wish you guys had the same level of consumer protection laws in Canada that we do here in the States (at least with respect to cars). I'm pretty sure you would be able to get out of your current problem car and replace it with something you can enjoy. It's your hard-earned money you are paying, and at a certain point, you shouldn't have to be spending all of your time and energy getting it fixed.

That's very interesting that all of the cars you test drove had the issue, including the E. I test drove one other Alabama-built '20 before choosing my South African-built '20 (which I did not test drive beforehand, as it was on the showroom floor with almost no mileage). I did not notice the whining noise in the car I drove, which is what gave me the confidence to get another C43 after my negative experience with the '18.

South African builds are pretty rare in the U.S., too. They're kind of like unicorns in that regard lol. One thing that has stuck out to me is how amazing the leather quality is. The "new car" smell is still there, and the leather is very supple and soft.
We do have the Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (which MB opted out) here

That is interesting, from your experience that means all 3 cars I test drove is not normal to have a whining diff noise.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
We do have the Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (which MB opted out) here

That is interesting, from your experience that means all 3 cars I test drove is not normal to have a whining diff noise.
Definitely. I don't have any definitive data, but from observing the activity in this thread, for whatever reason, it seems like the diff issue is less prevalent in the facelift cars (at least with respect to the C43).

Old 07-30-2020, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Definitely. I don't have any definitive data, but from observing the activity in this thread, for whatever reason, it seems like the diff issue is less prevalent in the facelift cars (at least with respect to the C43).
Hmmm I thought so too. After all, MB had 3 years (till 2019 facelift anyway) to perfect the diff on a C43 and I would really thought that would had been enough time.

Maybe just my weird luck to have the two facelift C43 I test drove with this noise plus an E450 having this noise.

Just for laughs and giggles, I asked to test drive a C300 and the noise wasn't there. So it was definitely not my head. My salesperson was willing to work with me for these drives, so that's good but now I am very indecisive...

Glad your new car doesn't have this issue. At least I can be assured that most facelift C43 doesn't have this issue. I am hoping that stays the case and not because not a lot of people has the facelift yet or that they don't go on this forum (I mean, it has been a full year since the facelift was available as MY19)

Can anyone else also comment if their 2019 or 2020 C43 has this issue or is this a Canada thing lol?
Old 09-30-2020, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 W213

Hi mate,

What is the definite issue then?

Not sure if you experienced the same but, my car is shuddering and the steering wheel is vibrating and giving me that tingling sensation.

This occurs at random speeds in above 30mph. On the Motorway however, it is more predominant.

MB Dealer in London who ive bought it from does not understand the issue.

My research and with the symptoms ofcourse, indicates to the following below issues:

Torque Converter Failing
Bad Driveshaft
Bad CV Axles

I have an E220d 2016 Full service history.

I really do not know what to do.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2020, 10:59 AM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by volkan250
Hi mate,

Not sure if you experienced the same but, my car is shuddering and the steering wheel is vibrating and giving me that tingling sensation.

This occurs at random speeds in above 30mph. On the Motorway however, it is more predominant.

My research and with the symptoms ofcourse, indicates to the following below issues:

Torque Converter Failing
Bad Driveshaft
Bad CV Axles

Any suggestions?
Your dealer should have taken their time to troubleshoot your problem. First they should have check your tires, wheels and balance em. Then check the steering components. Follow by suspension system.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by volkan250
Hi mate,

Torque Converter Failing
Bad Driveshaft
Bad CV Axles

Any suggestions?
Is there another dealer you can take the car to? I would ask if you can have the shop foreman ride with you as you produce the issue. You can have him put a hand on the wheel when the vibration occurs, if he can't visually observe it.

Alternatively, you can let the shop foreman drive the car as you ride in it, and instruct him on how to replicate the issue.

Driveshaft can definitely be an issue, but as stockbmw mentions below, tires is usually a quick/easy place to start, and then work down the line.

Originally Posted by stockbmw
Your dealer should have taken their time to troubleshoot your problem. First they should have check your tires, wheels and balance em. Then check the steering components. Follow by suspension system.
Now that I've put more mileage on my '20, I've noticed that both my '18 and '20 experience a rhythmic humming/pulsing through the seat and steering wheel on the highway at speeds of 65+ mph.

It's not always there, but it's there the majority of the time at those speeds. It seems to be a trait that is baked into the DNA of the C43 (and perhaps the models that share drivetrain components). I'm just going to live with it at this point.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:45 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
Same here, I just accept it as a "sportier" suspension design which translates more road into the driver's experience.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
Same here, I just accept it as a "sportier" suspension design which translates more road into the driver's experience.
Same way I've framed it, mentally. Plus, the more technology that gets packed into these cars these days, I've accepted the fact that there are going to be the few odd unexplained noises, etc.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
N/A
Sorry for not being on her for long time....I just decided to enjoy the car over the past 1.5 years, drove it 9000 kms since April (it's a weekend car only). Lease is up in few weeks and I will be returning the car mid November. Oh it was cold this morning, 1 to 3 Celsius and guess what? Noise is back, although my tires are at the end and rather noisy, so it was a little hard to hear, but right at 87 k/hr it is loudest and only with no throttle. I'll be leaving Mercedes for good, nothing I want anymore.

I don't really have any advice for anyone, other than what I've done. If your dealership/MB is not cooperating, press hard. I was lucky as I pressed a 2nd time and the service manager took it seriously. 1st time I had a bad tech who blamed it on the turbo engines. lol. Some of you have different circumstances. Other than that and one other problem Mercedes wouldn't take care of, I'll post my VIN here so if a potential buyer searches for it, it comes up.

55SWF6EB6HU203492
Old 10-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Seanhfx
Sorry for not being on her for long time....I just decided to enjoy the car over the past 1.5 years, drove it 9000 kms since April (it's a weekend car only). Lease is up in few weeks and I will be returning the car mid November. Oh it was cold this morning, 1 to 3 Celsius and guess what? Noise is back, although my tires are at the end and rather noisy, so it was a little hard to hear, but right at 87 k/hr it is loudest and only with no throttle. I'll be leaving Mercedes for good, nothing I want anymore.

I don't really have any advice for anyone, other than what I've done. If your dealership/MB is not cooperating, press hard. I was lucky as I pressed a 2nd time and the service manager took it seriously. 1st time I had a bad tech who blamed it on the turbo engines. lol. Some of you have different circumstances. Other than that and one other problem Mercedes wouldn't take care of, I'll post my VIN here so if a potential buyer searches for it, it comes up.

55SWF6EB6HU203492
Good day @Seanhfx !
Thanks for your update on the diff situation.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
It is a shame that there wasn't a real fix and it was disappointing how MB treated you.
If it wasn't your post we wouldn't even had noticed this sound and therefore wouldn't discover the fault so your post was very helpful.

My diff is also making the noise and it is louder and more apparent at below 0 celsius on top of the pulsing vibration from the driveshaft.
Unfortunately, I can't just return the car since it was financed. I do like the car though so there is that other than this issue and the other ones of course. I test drove a 2020 C43 sedan and also hear the sound so it is like a lottery trying to get one without.

Tested my ear by test driving a C300, yup no sound at those speeds, so it wasn't my ear making the sound. I guess MB just reused faulty parts on the newer model years because the majority won't notice it and MB can get away from it. To MB, if something doesn't throw a code means No Fault.

Meanwhile, I am sticking with my 2017 as I don't really like how quiet the facelift is and the design changes... but others like the changes like headlight and tailight and they consider the sound more refined so to each of their own.

Thanks again for your update, stay safe buddy!
The following users liked this post:
Seanhfx (12-12-2020)
Old 02-15-2021, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Haven't had a chance to drive my '20 much because of the pandemic. I've got like 1,400 miles on it in a year. Expensive paperweight lol.

Anyway, I've finally done some extended highway driving in cold weather and I definitely have a whining noise right at around 55 mph when coasting or maintaining speed. Different tone compared to my '18, but in the ballpark. Occurs at a slightly higher speed range (55 rather than 50).

I'm now convinced that virtually all of the C43 sedans have this, irrespective of whether they are the pre-facelift or facelift model, as the chance of having 2 cars back-to-back with a "rare" issue would be virtually nil (especially considering both cars were built in different countries). I just think the vast majority of owners either don't realize/hear it, don't care, mistake the noise for something else, or have music/something else covering the noise.

It's either a design flaw or a manufacturing quality flaw.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Haven't had a chance to drive my '20 much because of the pandemic. I've got like 1,400 miles on it in a year. Expensive paperweight lol.

Anyway, I've finally done some extended highway driving in cold weather and I definitely have a whining noise right at around 55 mph when coasting or maintaining speed. Different tone compared to my '18, but in the ballpark. Occurs at a slightly higher speed range (55 rather than 50).

I'm now convinced that virtually all of the C43 sedans have this, irrespective of whether they are the pre-facelift or facelift model, as the chance of having 2 cars back-to-back with a "rare" issue would be virtually nil (especially considering both cars were built in different countries). I just think the vast majority of owners either don't realize/hear it, don't care, mistake the noise for something else, or have music/something else covering the noise.

It's either a design flaw or a manufacturing quality flaw.
UGH! That sucks you would had thought they finally got it right after the whole lifecycle of this generation... Your experience is the exact same as the time I test drove an 2019 E450 coupé and a 2020 C43 sedan. Only vehicle that I test drove without the noise was a 2019 C300 Sedan.

Let's just think of this noise as a reminder that you are not driving the base model and it is about a sportier experience uniquely to MB on higher trim vehicles.

​​​​​​Edit: On a side note, some members here did eventually get MB to replace ones that don't whine. So I guess not all C43 rear diffs whine after all from what I discovered. just that MB has way too many of the same bad batch that functions as intended other than the noise and like you said no one notices, there are no lights on the dashboard, an ECU scan also returns nothing so they just put those in the facelifted vehicles and crossed their fingers.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 02-15-2021 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
UGH! That sucks you would had thought they finally got it right after the whole lifecycle of this generation... Your experience is the exact same as the time I test drove an 2019 E450 coupé and a 2020 C43 sedan. Only vehicle that I test drove without the noise was a 2019 C300 Sedan.

Let's just think of this noise as a reminder that you are not driving the base model and it is about a sportier experience uniquely to MB on higher trim vehicles.

​​​​​​Edit: On a side note, some members here did eventually get MB to replace ones that don't whine. So I guess not all C43 rear diffs whine after all from what I discovered. just that MB has way too many of the same bad batch that functions as intended other than the noise and like you said no one notices, there are no lights on the dashboard, an ECU scan also returns nothing so they just put those in the facelifted vehicles and crossed their fingers.
Good to hear from you man! Hope all is well amidst the pandemic and all the other craziness.

As always, you have summarized the situation quite nicely.

I also agree with your framing of how to deal with the situation: it’s just time to accept it and deal with it. Problem is too widespread to be overly concerned about it. I may mention it at the first service, but otherwise, this car will be gone in 2 years.

Thanks for reminding me about your test drive observations with the C and the E, too.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Good to hear from you man! Hope all is well amidst the pandemic and all the other craziness.

As always, you have summarized the situation quite nicely.

I also agree with your framing of how to deal with the situation: it’s just time to accept it and deal with it. Problem is too widespread to be overly concerned about it. I may mention it at the first service, but otherwise, this car will be gone in 2 years.

Thanks for reminding me about your test drive observations with the C and the E, too.
LIkewise Zibby43! I am also glad to hear that you are safe and sound! Yup, so far I am just going to use the sound to remind myself I got a C43 and not a C300, the sound is basically an indication that it isn't a C300 lol, if you think that way you won't be as annoyed by it and on the flip side be pleased about it. Hope it helps!
Good luck with everything and hope to chat soon.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
LIkewise Zibby43! I am also glad to hear that you are safe and sound! Yup, so far I am just going to use the sound to remind myself I got a C43 and not a C300, the sound is basically an indication that it isn't a C300 lol, if you think that way you won't be as annoyed by it and on the flip side be pleased about it. Hope it helps!
Good luck with everything and hope to chat soon.
Haha I like the way you're spinning that. Going to adopt that mindset, for sure.

And thank you very much! Same to you my friend.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Haha I like the way you're spinning that. Going to adopt that mindset, for sure.

And thank you very much! Same to you my friend.
Ya I mean we all are already dealing with so much, the less we have on our minds the better. After all, we worked so hard for the money to afford these cars, what is the point of letting the car ruin our mood when the main purpose we purchased the vehicle was for it to entertain us, bring us smiles per miles.

We already have a tough time at work and with this pandemic, I don't see the point of creating more frustration by going to the dealership to try to fix something (well, if they fix it then that is great) but so far no one in the dealership knows what we are talking about and worse they kept saying it is normal.

From how I see it, it is just a waste of time, I (and I am sure you as well) have to constantly rearrange things so we can bring the vehicle in, all this makes the already unpleasant experience with the vehicle worse. Basically, rubbing salt into the wound. Better off just enjoying the good part of the car and "ignoring" (at least try to) the bad part of it or at least think of it as a feature or treat it as something positive.

I hope you are happier that way. I know it is early but do you have a brand of vehicle in mind? Are you going electric or want to hold on to ICE even if it goes 4 banger? Would be curious to hear your thoughts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whining noise 2017 C43 Sedan while coasting - thoughts?