C450 Rims Cracking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes E43 AMG
My 2018 E43 AMG Keeps Damaging Front Wheel / Tire Assemblies

Originally Posted by cbourassa
Any one else have issues with the front 5-spoke rims on the C450/C43 cracking an obscene amount? I've read about the lawsuit regarding the rims a few years ago that was dismissed, but was wondering if anyone has any advice for getting the issue fixed without buying new rims every few months.

I adopted the lease on my C450 but, unfortunately, the original leasee didn't purchase the wheel and tire package. I've put about 6,000 miles on the car, and had a rim crack about 3 months ago (welded it at a local rim shop) and then today found out both of my front rims are now cracked again with one leaking air. The dealer quoted me $2000+ for two new rims. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue? I'll need the rims without welds or cracks in 4 months when I turn in the lease, but I don't want to spend $2k on rims for a car that doesn't even belong to me. I've read some people have been successful in persuading MB to replace the rims or overlook the damage when the lease is over. I've owned Lexus, Audi, and BMW, all with low profile tires and 18"+ rims and have never cracked or even bent a rim, so this is really driving (ha, get it?) me away from MB. As much as I adore my C450, the way the dealers in my area and MB Corporate have treated me is just ridiculous, considering this seems to be an MB issue.

If anyone has experience with this issue or wants to share their MB rim nightmares, I'm all ears.
I own a 2018 E43 AMG and in 13,000 miles of use it has damaged three front wheels and four front tires during typical city driving. I am planning to file a class action against Mercedes Corporate for this defect. The car is defective because the hard suspension coupled with the 20 inch rims and low profile run-flat tires is what causes the wheels and tires to fail. Anyone with similar problems please file a complaint with the NHTSA so that there will be a safety investigation and call me at 310-756-2462 if you wish to participate in a class-action lawsuit.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:06 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Exclamation Mandrus wheels seem to be stronger

I have had two massive curb hits on my 2015 C300 (17" Mandrus 23-spoke) front wheels. The driver side hit was with the wheel hard over. It pinched the side of the non-RFT tire and blew it out. The rim got a small dent, but the wheel still holds air. The passenger side hit was truly massive. The whole side of the car flew up in the air. The wheel was straight ahead, so the full tread of the tire took the hit. There was no damage to either wheel or tire! (In both cases, it was a rainy night, and new construction had moved the curb in the first case and installed a curb where there had been none before, in the second case.)
When I ordered the wheels, I had noticed that in the Tire Rack catalogue, Mandrus wheels had a load rating of 2000 pounds per wheel. Competing brands had a rating of 1350 ppw. That's an almost 50% difference. I'm glad I got the Mandrus wheels.