Sponsored by:

C450 Rims Cracking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLA45
C450 Rims Cracking

Any one else have issues with the front 5-spoke rims on the C450/C43 cracking an obscene amount? I've read about the lawsuit regarding the rims a few years ago that was dismissed, but was wondering if anyone has any advice for getting the issue fixed without buying new rims every few months.

I adopted the lease on my C450 but, unfortunately, the original leasee didn't purchase the wheel and tire package. I've put about 6,000 miles on the car, and had a rim crack about 3 months ago (welded it at a local rim shop) and then today found out both of my front rims are now cracked again with one leaking air. The dealer quoted me $2000+ for two new rims. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue? I'll need the rims without welds or cracks in 4 months when I turn in the lease, but I don't want to spend $2k on rims for a car that doesn't even belong to me. I've read some people have been successful in persuading MB to replace the rims or overlook the damage when the lease is over. I've owned Lexus, Audi, and BMW, all with low profile tires and 18"+ rims and have never cracked or even bent a rim, so this is really driving (ha, get it?) me away from MB. As much as I adore my C450, the way the dealers in my area and MB Corporate have treated me is just ridiculous, considering this seems to be an MB issue.

If anyone has experience with this issue or wants to share their MB rim nightmares, I'm all ears.

Last edited by cbourassa; 05-02-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Originally Posted by cbourassa
Any one else have issues with the front 5-spoke rims on the C450/C43 cracking an obscene amount? I've read about the lawsuit regarding the rims a few years ago that was dismissed, but was wondering if anyone has any advice for getting the issue fixed without buying new rims every few months.

I adopted the lease on my C450 but, unfortunately, the original leasee didn't purchase the wheel and tire package. I've put about 6,000 miles on the car, and had a rim crack about 3 months ago (welded it at a local rim shop) and then today found out both of my front rims are now cracked again with one leaking air. The dealer quoted me $2000+ for two new rims. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue? I'll need the rims without welds or cracks in 4 months when I turn in the lease, but I don't want to spend $2k on rims for a car that doesn't even belong to me. I've read some people have been successful in persuading MB to replace the rims or overlook the damage when the lease is over.

If anyone has experience with this issue or wants to share their MB rim nightmares, I'm all ears.
See if Mercedes of America wants to help you out. My dealer had no budget left to help and I had to open a ticket through corporate to get some coverage on a similar issue.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:11 PM

GLA45
Thanks, I'll give that a shot!
Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
I bought a remanufactured rim on Ebay for 650$ each
Old 05-10-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
i have had four bent rims and one cracked rim on my C450 in 3 years. as a lot of other threads on here will point out, a lot of it has to do with the stiff run flat tires that come with the car. Seems like some people have been able to limit the bent wheels/tire issues with replacing the tires with non runflats. I have had to pay for two new front wheels. I will caution people about buying "re-manufactured" wheels on ebay. I purchased one, less than a year later, it bent and cracked. The repair shop i took it to said it had been previously welded. The Ebay add did not mention this, of course. How do you put a claim into Mercedes of America?
The following users liked this post:
Bossnian763 (01-26-2020)
Old 05-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by bhcubed
i have had four bent rims and one cracked rim on my C450 in 3 years. as a lot of other threads on here will point out, a lot of it has to do with the stiff run flat tires that come with the car. Seems like some people have been able to limit the bent wheels/tire issues with replacing the tires with non runflats. I have had to pay for two new front wheels. I will caution people about buying "re-manufactured" wheels on ebay. I purchased one, less than a year later, it bent and cracked. The repair shop i took it to said it had been previously welded. The Ebay add did not mention this, of course. How do you put a claim into Mercedes of America?
Send an email to Christian Treiber, VP of Customer Service for MB. Someone should call you within 24-48 hours to discuss the issue and solutions (at least that's what happened for me).
Old 05-12-2019, 07:49 PM

GLA45
UPDATE:

I only have four months left on the lease and then I will be moving abroad for a while and likely not driving, so I want to minimize how much I spend on the car. If I had 2-3 years left on the lease, I would just eat the cost of the new rims, but I don't want to spend 2-3k on a car I don't own after September. I got in contact with MB USA, unfortunately I just did it through the website (didn't have a P.O.C.) so some rep from their team called me. He essentially told me (in kind language) that its not their problem and they won't replace the rims and gave me a $500 voucher for the repair if I were to get it. I appreciate the $500 but its a bit insulting when that's only about 1/5 of the cost of the parts, let alone any labor, taxes, or fees they slap on top of it. At this point, I'm pretty fed up with MB, so if anyone has any other ideas please voice them so I can get back to enjoying my time left with the car.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
UPDATE:

I only have four months left on the lease and then I will be moving abroad for a while and likely not driving, so I want to minimize how much I spend on the car. If I had 2-3 years left on the lease, I would just eat the cost of the new rims, but I don't want to spend 2-3k on a car I don't own after September. I got in contact with MB USA, unfortunately I just did it through the website (didn't have a P.O.C.) so some rep from their team called me. He essentially told me (in kind language) that its not their problem and they won't replace the rims and gave me a $500 voucher for the repair if I were to get it. I appreciate the $500 but its a bit insulting when that's only about 1/5 of the cost of the parts, let alone any labor, taxes, or fees they slap on top of it. At this point, I'm pretty fed up with MB, so if anyone has any other ideas please voice them so I can get back to enjoying my time left with the car.
How exactly would they even know that the rims are cracked? Not sure if it's because I have fleet but they literally never do inspection on vehicle lease turn ins on the spot lol

And, you'd have to get the car on a lift to visually see any sings of rim damage.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:28 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by aggies15
Send an email to Christian Treiber, VP of Customer Service for MB. Someone should call you within 24-48 hours to discuss the issue and solutions (at least that's what happened for me).
Thanks for the contact person. I just sent him an email. Not holding my breath on a response though.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:57 PM

2016 C450 AMG
just had my car back to the same shop cause my tire was leaking again. the rim they just replaced has a crack in it now too. so aggravating. the guy at the stop is trying to tell me that the factory wheels are next best option to steel wheels, not to go aftermarket. doesn't seem true with these wheels.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:31 PM

GLA45
Unfortunate update: Gave up on MB corporate because they refused to offer me more than $500 for new rims, even after taking it all the way up to the VP. Ended up buying used rims with a one year warranty for any damage for $715. It's a shame that such a fun car like the C450 has such a trivial issue, and even more disappointing how MB treats the crowds of owners having this issue. Probably won't be in an MB for a while after this lease is up.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Non-forged MB wheels are junk. Forged MB wheels are tougher but cost $$$. Aftermarket has options that are superior in both value and quality.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
There's hope on the horizon....
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owne...cid=spartandhp
Old 06-05-2019, 01:04 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Thumbs down

UPDATE:

I just got an email response back from MBUSA, they are basically blaming it on the nature of "low profile" tires. They only offered me a $250 voucher.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM

GLA45
bhcubed, was that through Christian? I'd say its worth a shot getting someone on the phone. Explain the situation and why you're upset about it, and mention that you know people in the same situation that got $500. Pretty soon they'll be offering people a bag of peanuts and a golf towel for cracking a $1400 rim
Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 AM

GLA45
Originally Posted by noah phatt
Bruh, those look like military tires
Old 06-06-2019, 09:32 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Thumbs down

bhcubed, was that through Christian? I'd say its worth a shot getting someone on the phone. Explain the situation and why you're upset about it, and mention that you know people in the same situation that got $500. Pretty soon they'll be offering people a bag of peanuts and a golf towel for cracking a $1400 rim
Yes, i sent an email directly to Christian. This was the response that I got:

"Dear Mr. xxxx,

Thank you for your email to our Vice President Christian Treiber. After review, I have been asked to respond on his behalf.

We are sorry to hear of the circumstances concerning your 2016 C450W4 that prompted you to contact our corporate offices.

It may be helpful to know that all factory installed tires and wheels meet and or exceed all Federal regulations however because low-profile tires by nature have a smaller sidewall, they are more susceptible to road hazard damage and wear. A common effect of road hazard damage are bubbles, which result from impact against a pothole, curb, etc. While sometimes unavoidable, Mercedes-Benz does offer at time of vehicle purchase a tire warranty to cover these instances.

Mr. xxxx, we value your loyalty to our brand and hope you can understand our limitations in the matter. We do want to offer you a $250 credit to use towards future service or parts in recognition of the inconvenience caused, good at any authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer. We will note this to your record with us and kindly ask you contact us when you would like to use this gesture of good will.

We appreciate the opportunity to correspond.

Ralph Porco

Executive Referral Manager

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

800-367-6372 ext. 6229"

The second time they used my last name, didn't even get it right. Haha, yea, maybe we'll get a free Mercedes key chain next. I responded to the email with basically the same thing you said. $250 seems like nothing compared to the cost of a new wheel and this is a pretty common problem.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM

GLA45
Audi here I come!

Old 06-06-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
GLS450, AMG C43 Cabriolet
Audi here I come!

Good luck with that.

They're all moving towards Run Flats.

Believe it or not, offering RF tires actually increases customer satisfaction by huge percentages (initially at least), AND it cuts costs for the manufacturer by tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

I hate them, but it's how everyone is going. Soon enough you won't be able to get a car with a spare and a jack any easier than getting a car with a stickshift.

It sucks, but it is just how it is.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
UPDATE:

Hey - turned in my lease with 3 cracked wheels - fixed by dealer - no charge on lease turn in for that.

also i've said it in other threads but this can all be avoided if you just spec standard no cost option wheels and go aftermarket
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by alexasa
Hey - turned in my lease with 3 cracked wheels - fixed by dealer - no charge on lease turn in for that.

also i've said it in other threads but this can all be avoided if you just spec standard no cost option wheels and go aftermarket
glad things worked out for you with the lease turn in. my wheels are the standard, no cost 18" option and i've still had issues with them bending and cracking. i should not have to spend additional money on aftermarket wheels. i actually like the styling of my factory 18" OEM wheels and would be perfectly fine with them if they didn't bend and crack so easily. i will be going with non runflat tires for sure going forward though to hopefully reduce the problem.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C450
Has anyone cracked a wheel after changing the runflats to conventional tires such as michelin AS 3 or 4,or continental WS06? I switched to the continentals and they ride much smoother and there is much less road shock when you hit a pothole.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by oldman&theC
Has anyone cracked a wheel after changing the runflats to conventional tires such as michelin AS 3 or 4,or continental WS06? I switched to the continentals and they ride much smoother and there is much less road shock when you hit a pothole.

Yes. Cracked one when running my AS3+ over Winter.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:40 PM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
Originally Posted by Jujigatame
Good luck with that.

They're all moving towards Run Flats.

Believe it or not, offering RF tires actually increases customer satisfaction by huge percentages (initially at least), AND it cuts costs for the manufacturer by tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

I hate them, but it's how everyone is going. Soon enough you won't be able to get a car with a spare and a jack any easier than getting a car with a stickshift.

It sucks, but it is just how it is.

i already replaced my oem runflat with the same runflat at 38,000 miles. going to replace it with runflat again next time.
going to try Pirelli next time. they brag about PNCS, The PIRELLI NOISE CANCELLING SYSTEM™ (PNCS) is a technology able to reduce the noise inside the vehicle thanks to a sound absorbing device applied to the inside circumferential wall of the tyre, reducing noise significantly.

can you imaging got a flat at 2am on a dark road or wait over a hour for tow service without run flat?
it' not fun when you carrying your gf, wife, kids, or parents without run flat.

Last edited by netboy; 06-06-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Jujigatame (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
18' C43 cab
This is just 1 example, but cracked wheels can certainly be repaired. I'm sure you can find a good wheel repair shop in any large metropolitan area.

https://wheelrepairxpress.com/servic...epair-welding/
Jujigatame (06-07-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C450 Rims Cracking