C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint chipping off the exhaust

Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 cls55
Paint chipping off the exhaust

Iíve had the car since December, i was wondering if anyone else exhaust paint chipping too. Is this normal wear and tear or should I take it to the dealership To get it fix?

Old 05-14-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
My car has the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Didn't think much of it until you mentioned it.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:04 PM

2006 cls55
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
My car has the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Didn't think much of it until you mentioned it.
Im very **** when it comes to my car lol I saw a little tiny chip on the right side and I was already stressing out and then out of no where three of the pipes are chipping away and thatís the biggest one right there.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C43 Coupe (W205)
I also just noticed that one of mine is chipping as well. I am going to be showing the dealer and ensure they replace it.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Both my outboard exhausts have the same chipping. '19 with SE and Night Package.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 AMG
Hi Guys, i see this is a common issue. Once replaced I suggest getting your hands on a high temp ceramic coating to see if it helps. Pretty much any ceramic will work I would go for Gyeon rim http://gyeonquartz.com/product/rim/
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Sedan soon
curious, can the tips be changed out to the polish ones? Or are they attached to other sections of the exhaust. That would be my preference, picking up my new ride on Sat which has the night package

Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Originally Posted by 14Shelby View Post
curious, can the tips be changed out to the polish ones? Or are they attached to other sections of the exhaust. That would be my preference, picking up my new ride on Sat which has the night package

Thanks
Looks like the tips could be removed easily, so swapping them for polished is possible. It seems a fairly common situation with the '19s, so I expect MB is aware. I'm not keen on either polished tips, or getting new black ones that will just chip again, so intentionally waiting a while to alert dealer and start a warranty claim.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Sedan soon
Originally Posted by gcurnew View Post
Looks like the tips could be removed easily, so swapping them for polished is possible.
Okay, good to know, thanks
Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
'19 C43
I had the same issue on my 19. I cleaned the area and applied black touch-up paint. My chipping was not as serious as what some of you are describing or what is in the pics.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:34 PM

2019 C43 Coupe (W205)
Originally Posted by GuardianVA View Post
I had the same issue on my 19. I cleaned the area and applied black touch-up paint. My chipping was not as serious as what some of you are describing or what is in the pics.
I also do not have very serious chips yet. If you do not mind can you tell me/us what the exact paint is you used? Also, how does it look and would love to see a picture? Thanks!!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43 Wagon
I had the same issue, after only having the car for one month. Both exhausts had flaking, so they were replaced under warranty.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
'19 C43
Originally Posted by gordotre View Post
I also do not have very serious chips yet. If you do not mind can you tell me/us what the exact paint is you used? Also, how does it look and would love to see a picture? Thanks!!
I have a bottle of black from Dr. Colorchip that I have for my Wrangler. I just dabbed some into a latex glove and covered the exposed area. Let it dry for about a minute, then put a second layer. Unless you really get close and know where to look, it's hard to tell there was ever anything there. Dr. Colorchip isn't cheap, so using a lower cost touchup paint should work just as well. If you get one that is a flat finish, all the better.

Here what it looks like right now:

Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 PM

2019 C43 Coupe (W205)
Originally Posted by GuardianVA View Post
I have a bottle of black from Dr. Colorchip that I have for my Wrangler. I just dabbed some into a latex glove and covered the exposed area. Let it dry for about a minute, then put a second layer. Unless you really get close and know where to look, it's hard to tell there was ever anything there. Dr. Colorchip isn't cheap, so using a lower cost touchup paint should work just as well. If you get one that is a flat finish, all the better.

Here what it looks like right now:
Thanks for this. I think it looks really good especially being that this is a close up. I worry even if I get mine replaced its just going to happen again. I would think that using a flat high temp pain would work really well. Thanks again for the details and photo!!
Old 05-17-2019, 11:26 AM

2006 cls55
Originally Posted by 14Shelby View Post

Thanks
The problem is not the exhaust tips itís the exhaust itself where it meets the gloss black tips thatís chipping, also the member above mentioned getting it replaced under warranty, they replaced the whole exhaust?