C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Runflats! (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
GLS450, AMG C43 Cabriolet
OK, so I literally just changed the tire pressure to the Michelin Spec for my car (a 2017 C43 Cabriolet with 18" rims).

38psi all around.

All I can say is WOW!

Now I understand what people were saying about the tires transforming the car!

It rides so smooth and even in Sport+ mode the car still feels firm and nimble, but riding over road seams that used to feel like "THUMP!!" now feel like "bump". In Comfort mode, those seams feel like "blip" and the car glides over the road but still rides firmly enough to let you know it's a sportscar.

All I can say is if you're running the PS A/S 3+'s go to Michelin's website and input the specs for your car, use their recommended pressures and you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
GLA250 4Matic, 911 Carrera S, R1250 GS Adv.
The M-B pressure recommendations in the fuel cap are for OE runflat tires, and there are no recommendations given for non-runflats. But Michelin provides recommendations for their non-runflats for the C43 regardless of tire model - all-season or summer.

Maybe if M-B published pressures for non-runflats they'd be exactly what Michelin recommends. Or maybe not.

It seems to me that we would benefit from an official recommendation from M-B for summer non-runflats and for A/S runflats, 18" and 19".

I'm assuming that recommendations for non-runflats would be different than for runflats due to the big differences in tire construction - but maybe even that's wrong.

I'm assuming also that I could even sense a difference between say 40psi and 33psi.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Jujigatame
OK, so I literally just changed the tire pressure to the Michelin Spec for my car (a 2017 C43 Cabriolet with 18" rims).

38psi all around.

All I can say is WOW!

Now I understand what people were saying about the tires transforming the car!

It rides so smooth and even in Sport+ mode the car still feels firm and nimble, but riding over road seams that used to feel like "THUMP!!" now feel like "bump". In Comfort mode, those seams feel like "blip" and the car glides over the road but still rides firmly enough to let you know it's a sportscar.

All I can say is if you're running the PS A/S 3+'s go to Michelin's website and input the specs for your car, use their recommended pressures and you won't be disappointed.
Where did you find the Michelin specs?
Old 07-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
Can someone post a link to that Michelin tire pressure recommendation tool?
Old 07-04-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Snarfalus
Can someone post a link to that Michelin tire pressure recommendation tool?
www.michelinman.com

Old 07-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sailorlite
The M-B pressure recommendations in the fuel cap are for OE runflat tires, and there are no recommendations given for non-runflats. But Michelin provides recommendations for their non-runflats for the C43 regardless of tire model - all-season or summer.

Maybe if M-B published pressures for non-runflats they'd be exactly what Michelin recommends. Or maybe not.

It seems to me that we would benefit from an official recommendation from M-B for summer non-runflats and for A/S runflats, 18" and 19".

I'm assuming that recommendations for non-runflats would be different than for runflats due to the big differences in tire construction - but maybe even that's wrong.

I'm assuming also that I could even sense a difference between say 40psi and 33psi.
I also figured that I'd never notice a difference between 41psi and 38, but it's literally night and day!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
GLA250 4Matic, 911 Carrera S, R1250 GS Adv.
Well, I just made the switch from the OE Pirellis to the Michelin A/S's. So far, after 8 miles of driving, I like them a lot - but of course I'll post a better report once I've set the pressures correctly and given them a good test drive.

Meanwhile, I've listed the Pirellis on the Marketplace here in case someone wants them for a future lease return or for just driving around ($150 for all 4, 19", 5504 miles).
Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
I checked out this thread as I have an interest in changing to non-run-flat tires when my Continentals are worn. I have the 18" wheels and stock Contis. My main concern was that the lack of a spare or runflats would be an issue. I know some people mentioned tire sealant, but there was a question as to whether or not it would be acceptable to use with the TPMS system. At least that was my question, and I'm not so keen to trust a third party product that just claims its safe on all cars. I'm sure most of these systems work the same way, but still. Anyway, for anybody who shares a similar concern, I opened up the manual for my car and found that it writes "it is therefore recommended that you additionally equip your vehicle with a TIREFIT kit if you mount tires that do not feature run-flat properties." I would probably purchase this kit if I went away from run-flats because I wouldn't be too comfortable with something from the aftermarket and the TPMS system...

Now, on a large blow out it doesn't seem like the tire sealant would be of much use, according to the manual. This is personally of concern to me, as some of our back roads here in NJ are absolutely riddled with potholes. As much as I try to avoid every possible pothole, sometimes it's simply impossible due to a strip of tens of potholes going straight across the road. So I'll have to figure out if it's worth the risk around here for me. Not sure how often I actually get punctures of over 0.16 inches.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43 AMG, X5M
Originally Posted by cjaredscott
I checked out this thread as I have an interest in changing to non-run-flat tires when my Continentals are worn. I have the 18" wheels and stock Contis. My main concern was that the lack of a spare or runflats would be an issue. I know some people mentioned tire sealant, but there was a question as to whether or not it would be acceptable to use with the TPMS system. At least that was my question, and I'm not so keen to trust a third party product that just claims its safe on all cars. I'm sure most of these systems work the same way, but still. Anyway, for anybody who shares a similar concern, I opened up the manual for my car and found that it writes "it is therefore recommended that you additionally equip your vehicle with a TIREFIT kit if you mount tires that do not feature run-flat properties." I would probably purchase this kit if I went away from run-flats because I wouldn't be too comfortable with something from the aftermarket and the TPMS system...

Now, on a large blow out it doesn't seem like the tire sealant would be of much use, according to the manual. This is personally of concern to me, as some of our back roads here in NJ are absolutely riddled with potholes. As much as I try to avoid every possible pothole, sometimes it's simply impossible due to a strip of tens of potholes going straight across the road. So I'll have to figure out if it's worth the risk around here for me. Not sure how often I actually get punctures of over 0.16 inches.
I switched and live in NYC. Had one blowout already but would have been same result with run-flats. At the point where sealant won’t plug the hole temporarily most likely your run flat is going to be destroyed anyway and your already calling a tow truck. That’s my thinking.

Griots Garage sealant is the exact same system that Mercedes uses on TireFit (they all buy from same third party).

Switching transformed the car.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by cjaredscott

If you have a large blowout you will not be able to drive on the runflat without damaging your wheel. Runflats have their limitations and are only partial protection. There are times you will still be calling for help even though you had runflats.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
Originally Posted by s1rolnik
I switched and live in NYC. Had one blowout already but would have been same result with run-flats. At the point where sealant won’t plug the hole temporarily most likely your run flat is going to be destroyed anyway and your already calling a tow truck. That’s my thinking.

Griots Garage sealant is the exact same system that Mercedes uses on TireFit (they all buy from same third party).

Switching transformed the car.
Originally Posted by oldman&theC
If you have a large blowout you will not be able to drive on the runflat without damaging your wheel. Runflats have their limitations and are only partial protection. There are times you will still be calling for help even though you had runflats.
That's sound logic on both of your parts. I'll probably end up switching to the non-run-flats in consideration of that when 3-4 of my tires are ready to be replaced. At least I buy all my tires through TireRack -- their free road hazard coverage has saved me oh too frequently since I started purchasing there... MB dealer also offers a year of coverage, not sure what Mavis does. When it comes time for replacing all 4 I'll have to figure out which is best for me this time around.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
This image is the best representation of what it is like to drive an AMG on RFTs.

The following users liked this post:
cjaredscott (07-10-2019)