Audison Prima 8.9 Burmester Upgrade on 2019 C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Audison Prima 8.9 Burmester Upgrade on 2019 C43

Just wanted to let you guys know that on the 2019 C43 there is no need for a JL Audio Fix 82 in order to install the Audison Prima 8.9 - just go directly into the Audison to sum and de-equalize the Burmester output and process from there. There has been a lot of info on this forum and others about the pre-2019 requiring the JL Audio Fix 82, but the facelift doesn't need it. Thought I'd pass this info down.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 207 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by TModelle
Just wanted to let you guys know that on the 2019 C43 there is no need for a JL Audio Fix 82 in order to install the Audison Prima 8.9 - just go directly into the Audison to sum and de-equalize the Burmester output and process from there. There has been a lot of info on this forum and others about the pre-2019 requiring the JL Audio Fix 82, but the facelift doesn't need it. Thought I'd pass this info down.

do you have the F8.9Bit or just the standard 8.9 bit?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
I chose the Forza. As far as I know it’s just a more powerful version of the 8.9.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
I chose the Forza. As far as I know it’s just a more powerful version of the 8.9.
no it is different than the standard. there is additional signal processing added in addition to load compensation which i think is the trick.

i bought the F8.9bit as well. just havent installed it yet. but according to the documentation, i think the JL fix is not needed with the additional built in processing and features. You seem to have proved that for me.

Thanks

Also the F8.9bit is the perfect amount of power IMO for a high quality front stage. gunna sound sweet.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Star4life
no it is different than the standard. there is additional signal processing added in addition to load compensation which i think is the trick.

i bought the F8.9bit as well. just havent installed it yet. but according to the documentation, i think the JL fix is not needed with the additional built in processing and features. You seem to have proved that for me.

Thanks

Also the F8.9bit is the perfect amount of power IMO for a high quality front stage. gunna sound sweet.
Indeed. Running on preset 7 configuration sends 150w RMS to the front speakers.

Sounds proper now. I couldn’t bear listening to the stock system, I installed this out of sheer desperation.

I now have proper mid bass where there was a gaping hole before.

Last edited by TModelle; 09-04-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
Is there any way you could explain this to me like I don't know any background info on this?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by JonWu
Is there any way you could explain this to me like I don't know any background info on this?
I believe OP is describing a way to use an aftermarket amplifier without losing the ability to adjust volume using the COMAND head unit. In most cars (include pre-FL C43), you need to use something like FiX-82 DSP in between to use an aftermarket amp. What OP is trying to say is that with the FL C43, you can directly hook up an amp like Audison Prima 8.9 to the COMAND head unit's output without the need for FiX-82 DSP.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:44 AM

C43
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
I believe OP is describing a way to use an aftermarket amplifier without losing the ability to adjust volume using the COMAND head unit. In most cars (include pre-FL C43), you need to use something like FiX-82 DSP in between to use an aftermarket amp. What OP is trying to say is that with the FL C43, you can directly hook up an amp like Audison Prima 8.9 to the COMAND head unit's output without the need for FiX-82 DSP.
Thanks so much for the explanation. Is this an upgrade a lot of people make to the C43 burmester? Do they only install the upgraded amp or are they changing the speakers as well? I'm an audiophile and realize that the amp can make a big difference in sound, but this Audison Prima is only a few hundred dollars, usually the significant improvement does not come until you are in the 2-3k$ tube amp territory (for home speakers at least)-- this is to say unless mercedes did not install like 20$ stock amps
Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Thanks so much for the explanation. Is this an upgrade a lot of people make to the C43 burmester? Do they only install the upgraded amp or are they changing the speakers as well? I'm an audiophile and realize that the amp can make a big difference in sound, but this Audison Prima is only a few hundred dollars, usually the significant improvement does not come until you are in the 2-3k$ tube amp territory (for home speakers at least)-- this is to say unless mercedes did not install like 20$ stock amps
The speakers are merely paper cone style with small magnets and plastic baskets.

But the main thing is that the Burmester system is using the front pair of 8” drivers as subs and the crossover points in general are very strange. Moreover, the 3 band equaliser is quite inadequate and isn’t helpful in correcting anything.

The Audison takes all the channels that are filtered/crossed by the Burmester and compiles and de-equalizes the signal and then you set your own speaker configuration and crossover points. I use the pair of 8” subs as 8” mid bass drivers instead and have a separate sub getting proper sub frequencies.

You can work the Audison equaliser on a laptop to however you want to set it.

A lot more flexible and much better sounding. The Burmester in the C43 is quite useless as sound systems go, especially if you come from Audi or BMW ownership.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 c43
The speakers are merely paper cone style with small magnets and plastic baskets.

But the main thing is that the Burmester system is using the front pair of 8” drivers as subs and the crossover points in general are very strange. Moreover, the 3 band equaliser is quite inadequate and isn’t helpful in correcting anything.

The Audison takes all the channels that are filtered/crossed by the Burmester and compiles and de-equalizes the signal and then you set your own speaker configuration and crossover points. I use the pair of 8” subs as 8” mid bass drivers instead and have a separate sub getting proper sub frequencies.

You can work the Audison equaliser on a laptop to however you want to set it.

A lot more flexible and much better sounding. The Burmester in the C43 is quite useless as sound systems go, especially if you come from Audi or BMW ownership.
Mind typing a quick DIY? I've been wanting to upgrade the horrid audio. Just wasn't sure what to purchase and what needs replacing.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by 43604
Mind typing a quick DIY? I've been wanting to upgrade the horrid audio. Just wasn't sure what to purchase and what needs replacing.
Do a search, there is already a lot of info on this, just exclude the JL Audio FIX82 if you are on a 2019, straight to the Audison.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Do a search, there is already a lot of info on this, just exclude the JL Audio FIX82 if you are on a 2019, straight to the Audison.

i want to clarify soemthing for people.

if they use the standard Audison 8.9 Bit they will still have the same VNC and summation issues on the pre facelift and facelift models.

YOU MUST BUY the NEW Audison F 8.9 Bit. Also called the Forza 8.9Bit, it is slightly larger and has additional processing functionality built in to process the stock signal properly. ITs not a matter of facelift and non facelift. The audio system is the exact same. Its a matter of the OP is using the new Forza 8.9 Bit and not the old 8.9Bit.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190

if they use the standard Audison 8.9 Bit they will still have the same VNC and summation issues on the pre facelift and facelift models.

YOU MUST BUY the NEW Audison F 8.9 Bit. Also called the Forza 8.9Bit, it is slightly larger and has additional processing functionality built in to process the stock signal properly. ITs not a matter of facelift and non facelift. The audio system is the exact same. Its a matter of the OP is using the new Forza 8.9 Bit and not the old 8.9Bit.
Don't forget that the pre-facelift has piped sound going through the system and this supposedly also creates issues with audio upgrades, there's even a fuse that you can remove, but the facelift doesn't have this fuse. I spoke with my Audison installer and he says the regular 8.9 would have no issues with my car. I was actually booked in for the regular 8.9 install with him, but found out about the Forza the day before and asked him to swap to that instead. This is the first Forza he's installed, as everybody seems to prefer the cheaper regular 8.9. He has no issues with regular 8.9 installations on these models, and doesn't even know what the Fix82 is.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:39 AM

C43
Don't forget that the pre-facelift has piped sound going through the system and this supposedly also creates issues with audio upgrades, there's even a fuse that you can remove, but the facelift doesn't have this fuse. I spoke with my Audison installer and he says the regular 8.9 would have no issues with my car. I was actually booked in for the regular 8.9 install with him, but found out about the Forza the day before and asked him to swap to that instead. This is the first Forza he's installed, as everybody seems to prefer the cheaper regular 8.9. He has no issues with regular 8.9 installations on these models, and doesn't even know what the Fix82 is.
Are you planning to just get the amplifier upgrade or are you also adding/switching speakers? Can someone comment on whether its worth it to ONLY upgrade the amp and use the existing Burmester speakers?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Are you planning to just get the amplifier upgrade or are you also adding/switching speakers? Can someone comment on whether its worth it to ONLY upgrade the amp and use the existing Burmester speakers?
I actually changed the front mid and tweeter, and the center speaker before I added the Audison in a bid to improve the sound. That's when I realized that wouldn't help at all because the speakers were being sent the wrong frequencies, after all, rubbish in rubbish out. I kept the 8" Burmester speakers in the front floor and they work pretty well. At this point, I cannot be sure what the system would have sounded like with stock front speakers to be honest. Just like I cannot be completely sure that the regular 8.9 will work on my 2019, even though my installer says it will. I just don't have the information and can't confirm it. I do feel that 80% of the improvement seems to be from the amp change, this is what I perceive. I now have decent sound. I was very frustrated with the old system and almost sold the car because my previous car sounded so much better I really thought I made a mistake buying the C43.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG

the facelift also has fake exhaust sound. the electrical architecture has changed. so the active sound module has moved to be integrated into a different control module or fuse setup most likely. does your installer do 43s all the time? The c300 does not have active sound module so should not have any issues. only noise cancelling. its also possible people who had issues did not setup the audison 8.9 bit correctly for it to process out the VNC. im confident the f8.9 bit works though at this point due to multiple success.

Last edited by Star4life; 09-09-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 AM

C43
I actually changed the front mid and tweeter, and the center speaker before I added the Audison in a bid to improve the sound. That's when I realized that wouldn't help at all because the speakers were being sent the wrong frequencies, after all, rubbish in rubbish out. I kept the 8" Burmester speakers in the front floor and they work pretty well. At this point, I cannot be sure what the system would have sounded like with stock front speakers to be honest. Just like I cannot be completely sure that the regular 8.9 will work on my 2019, even though my installer says it will. I just don't have the information and can't confirm it. I do feel that 80% of the improvement seems to be from the amp change, this is what I perceive. I now have decent sound. I was very frustrated with the old system and almost sold the car because my previous car sounded so much better I really thought I made a mistake buying the C43.
This is interesting to read. I'm an "audiophile" and listen to music with way elaborate systems at home, and my initial observation was that the Burmester did not sound good compared to essentially the hype that mercedes has for it. I did adjust the levels slightly to make the sound more palatable, and currently it sounds passable stock. The soundstage is the least impressive thing about it, as I would think a tiny car with that many speakers would sound better than a bluetooth speaker that u carry to the pool. IMO if the car had a legitimate subwoofer, even in the 10" range, then this would really take the pressure off the 8" drivers to be able to provide that soundstage. I'm not sure if its worth it to spend like 2k to upgrade a system that was already a 850$ upgrade so that my music sounds better in my car, but I just can't believe that they messed it up so bad that the sound can significantly be improved simply with a 800$ amp.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 451 Likes on 347 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport

Well, that seals it for me. I just installed the AP8.9 bit + Fix 82 into my 2015 c300 and tuned it. Sounds great so far (with some minor turn off issues).

I was thinking about upgrading to the Forza at some point. I have a trip scheduled to London soon and I will look out for one.

Can we all share our tune config files? I want to see what settings everyone else is using. (I understand that i would have to manually replicate the EQ settings for my AP8.9 bit)

Also what trigger method are you using for turn ON/OFF of the Audison?? I assume Speaker DC (ART)

Did you have a turn on timing issues with the factory amp?

The lowest mute release delay (the delay between turning on the device and the activation of the output audio) on the AP8.9 bit is 7 seconds, and if the radio is selected, the factory AMP (center channel) will play (2 seconds earlier) before the Audison releases mute.

Does the Forza mute release delay go lower than 7 seconds???

Last edited by benzdude; 10-08-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
I used all stock Burmester speakers on my 2015 C300, except I added those rotating ambient 3D tweeters (that still sound great) and a JL Audio CP208LG-W3v3 Dual 8" Subwoofer in the trunk.

I started with information from Mikes old post here:
https://w205audio.wordpress.com/2016...rmester-audio/

Last edited by benzdude; 10-08-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
You guys might right about not needing the FiX 82 with the Forza.

The input signal section of the Forza manual now shows OEM AMP direct connected to the Audison. (a good sign)

Prima AP F8.9 bit input #4

Prima AP 8.9 bit input #4

Old 10-10-2019, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
one of these days I will get around to installing my system haha.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Indeed. Running on preset 7 configuration sends 150w RMS to the front speakers.

Sounds proper now. I couldn’t bear listening to the stock system, I installed this out of sheer desperation.

I now have proper mid bass where there was a gaping hole before.
Forza is 130W @ 2 ohms.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport

Thanks

I wanted to see what the regular AP 8.9 bit configuration would be like on my car, so I gave it a try.

It failed on last de equalization step each time.