Sponsored by:

C43 2019 Sedan - Another vibration/noise issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 09:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by speedlaw
2019 Sedan. I have what I call the 70 mph resonance, which is gone at 60 or 80. It isn't as bad as the others described, just a slight vibration in the steering wheel. It has existed with the OE runflats, a set of Michelins, and is same with a set of BBS wheels and Continentals...so it isn't wheel or tire. It appears to be a multiple or divisor of the driveline speed, it isn't engine related, rpm related, or other...more apparent when cruising gently, less so when loaded. Car is smooth as glass everywhere else....around town, 50 mph, or at Warp on the interstate. Just a slight resonance you feel in the wheel at 70 mph....no sounds...

I'm taking the car in for 70,000 mile service (Trans oil, diff oil, spark plugs-I own the car) and will mention it then. I have the 100k warranty. Anticipate them blaming my tires/wheels, which are new out of box, so not bent yet.....

It's not a wheels issue.
I think you should mention the driveshaft issue with you take your car in for service. Worth looking into if everything else is fine. Hoping to get an update on my driveshaft coming from Germany today.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
C 43
Originally Posted by BoyGeezy
I think you should mention the driveshaft issue with you take your car in for service. Worth looking into if everything else is fine. Hoping to get an update on my driveshaft coming from Germany today.
I'm pleased to report that the dealer has the car now, and they are replacing a driveshaft....they didn't decide to blame my wheels or etc. Now I just wait till it's done, and the A class loaner I have...they can have back ... LOL
Old 12-02-2021, 07:07 PM

2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by magicve17
I'm going through bent wheel repair-tire replacement- the same process....and the "harmonic vibration" isn't getting any better. Looking forward to ur update!
Not the update I wanted to provide but the driveshaft originally ordered for my vehicle is lost in transit and we've been told that MB isn't producing any specially balanced driveshafts at this time. Not sure if I believe that but I've been exploring other options for driveshaft repair/replacement with my shop.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:08 PM

2017 AMG C43
I'm pleased to report that the dealer has the car now, and they are replacing a driveshaft....they didn't decide to blame my wheels or etc. Now I just wait till it's done, and the A class loaner I have...they can have back ... LOL
Good to hear that they are replacing it. My mechanic told me that he can't even order a specially balanced driveshaft from AMG at this time. Is your dealer hearing the same thing?
Old 12-02-2021, 08:45 PM

C 43
I'm told they are waiting for a new driveshaft to come in. It's a dealer so that's all I have. No mention of special AMG balancing or any such....but I'm under warranty, so....
The following users liked this post:
BoyGeezy (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 05:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG W205
I am also in this boat. 2017 C43 sedan. Vibration at 65mph through the car and steering wheel. Goes away at lower and higher speeds. Its irritating. Can almost make my hands numb on long drives. My 20 year old mustang doesn't vibrate at all. This isn't acceptable.

Dealer balanced wheels. No change. Said my winter wheels were the problem. Went back with my summer OEM wheels...
Dealer balanced wheels. No change. Said its not the wheels. Run it on a lift and confirmed its a drivetrain thing.
Changed rear diff. No change.
Change flex disk. No change.
They finally told me it was normal for these cars. They drove another 43 on their lot and said it was worse than mine, This is likely true since it probably had ****ty rock-hard run flat tires, and I have real tires.

I'm going to ask about a driveshaft swap next and print out some of this info. Wish me luck.
BoyGeezy (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by DirtyDD
I am also in this boat. 2017 C43 sedan. Vibration at 65mph through the car and steering wheel. Goes away at lower and higher speeds. Its irritating. Can almost make my hands numb on long drives. My 20 year old mustang doesn't vibrate at all. This isn't acceptable.

Dealer balanced wheels. No change. Said my winter wheels were the problem. Went back with my summer OEM wheels...
Dealer balanced wheels. No change. Said its not the wheels. Run it on a lift and confirmed its a drivetrain thing.
Changed rear diff. No change.
Change flex disk. No change.
They finally told me it was normal for these cars. They drove another 43 on their lot and said it was worse than mine, This is likely true since it probably had ****ty rock-hard run flat tires, and I have real tires.

I'm going to ask about a driveshaft swap next and print out some of this info. Wish me luck.
Sorry to hear about your issue, I got my 2017's driveshaft replaced twice and still have the same issue here in Canada, they gave up and just say it is normal.

Don't worry, it is indeed the driveshaft, for some reason the ones I got that were replaced were still defective or just simply unbalanced. This issue is relatively common including on our 2017s, it is an ongoing battle when even the 2021 C43 has it.

I personally learned to live with the issue on my 2017 as it was too much stress and a waste of time for me.

However, I don't recommend you to give up if your dealership is willing to work with you so yes I do wish you luck! Keep us posted!

Please see the threads below:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...vibration.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...igh-speed.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post7869417
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post7872206
Old 12-03-2021, 08:10 PM

C43 AMG W205
Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2021, 02:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks!!
no problem, keep us all posted when it is fixed
Old 12-13-2021, 10:31 PM

C 43
Thanks Warranty !

So I got my car back from the Dealer.

The 70 mph vibration is gone, the car is again smooth.

The repair bill is five pages. They put the car on a rack, spun my wheels, and declared them round. Since they are new, with new tires (BBS/Conti DWS) I'm glad they went to the next square...had they seen any wobble the game would have stopped right there. Car has 70k miles.

The dealer then found the driveshaft not straight, and the three engine mounts were declared "collapsed". I drive it as intended but collapsed ? It goes without saying I don't abuse the beast...and I've never replaced mounts in any car since an A2 GTi. Do Benz mounts "collapse" ? Do I have bad ones ? No idea. They replaced the mounts "so you won't have this problem again". Does this cause a mis alignment ? In any event I'm happy it was done.

I also had a minor leak from the pinion gear front diff, fixed under warranty (new seal)

There is no billing for the warranty work, but the SA took a look at the internal one with bills, and said "a little over 5k" if I was paying for it. I bought the 100k warranty for $2500 when I ordered the car (this ain't my first German car) and it was a good choice.

I hope mounts aren't a 60 k replacement item !!!!

Last edited by speedlaw; 12-13-2021 at 10:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by speedlaw:
AMGiggity (12-15-2021), BoyGeezy (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

The repair bill is five pages. They put the car on a rack, spun my wheels, and declared them round. Since they are new, with new tires (BBS/Conti DWS) I'm glad they went to the next square...had they seen any wobble the game would have stopped right there. Car has 70k miles.

The dealer then found the driveshaft not straight, and the three engine mounts were declared "collapsed". I drive it as intended but collapsed ? It goes without saying I don't abuse the beast...and I've never replaced mounts in any car since an A2 GTi. Do Benz mounts "collapse" ? Do I have bad ones ? No idea. They replaced the mounts "so you won't have this problem again". Does this cause a mis alignment ? In any event I'm happy it was done.

I also had a minor leak from the pinion gear front diff, fixed under warranty (new seal)

There is no billing for the warranty work, but the SA took a look at the internal one with bills, and said "a little over 5k" if I was paying for it. I bought the 100k warranty for $2500 when I ordered the car (this ain't my first German car) and it was a good choice.

Glad to hear it is fixed!
Old 12-14-2021, 09:39 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe

By not straight, you mean misaligned? So the original driveshaft was actually ok?
Old 12-14-2021, 11:08 AM

C 43
Misaligned may have been a better word. "Saw that rear propellor shaft was bouncing up and down and vibrating" is the exact wording from the repair order. "as noted on road test vibration felt from rear of vehicle at highway speed" and "rear propellor shaft is causing vibration".

Old 12-15-2021, 07:20 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Eric Lessard
Hi All,

- Took possession of the brand new car 3 weeks ago.
- 300km after leaving the dealer I felt an abnormal harmonic, cycling and humming vibration in the steering wheel between 100-130km/h.
- It is not engine related as it happens independently of the engine RPM.
- Not a loud noise or aggressive vibration, but a cycling, humming vibe that is noticeable to anyone with a bit of driving experience.
- Took the car to the dealership and has been sitting there for the last couple of weeks... ... ...

3 Technical advisors, the service Director, the General Manager and the regional Mercedes head have tried the car.
All agree this is abnormal and "bizarre".

They thought it was the wheels or tire, so they mounted the car on new rims and tires, and it didn't solve the issue - just no impact.
Now they are in conversation with AMG, blablabla ... ... ... and more blablabla for now...

I have read quite long threads on C450 and C43 2016-2017 and 2018 with a similar type of noise/vibration issues.
Some owners have seen a resolution to their problem after a differential or drive shaft center bearing replacement (not talking about wheels and RFT).

Anyone with 2019 C43 with a similar problem?

I would think after 3-year model on the market Mercedes would have solved these types of recurring QC issues.
Yes, as you can imagine, I am quite annoyed at Mercedes given they seem to have ongoing problems of this type, in addition to the car being brand spanking new.

Will provide updates as they come.
Comments are more than welcome, as we have no lemon law here in Canada that could force Mercedes take the car back... so in the end, I am condemned to wait and see how things turn out...

isnt this the year they changed the percentage of power distribution to the front and rear wheels? Maybe that could be a problem they haven’t ironed out yet? And it’s understandable to be upset with them, all manufacturers have issues, but it could be worse, you could be driving something else like a dodge or BMW or Jaguar lol. Think of the posts those car owners have to write out on the regular lol. I’ve owned all but Jaguar and that’s only because I already knew those were junk. Anyway, maybe see if that’s possibly a reason? I could be way off, but my C450 hasn’t made any noise like this and I’m at 75k.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:44 PM

C43 AMG W205
Good news here. I took my 2017 in for one last attempt to fix this while I still had CPO warranty. I was introduced to a tech with 20 years experience, with every single level of Mercedes qualification. He had dealt with the highway speed vibration on C43s many times, and described the issue to me before I told him the details (the pulsing vibration through steering wheel and rest of car that starts around 65mph, peaks at 70 mph and chills by 80mph). He test drove the car with me, and the moment he got on the highway he said "this is the worst one I've ever felt" which made me feel sane.

He said they have purchased special piezo (I think) tools for measuring and correcting vibrations in the drivetrain. They had the car for a week and then called me today saying they balanced the driveshafts and the diff and that the vibrations were completely eliminated. Furthermore, they were doing a few other fixes under warranty before I get my car back. I cant wait. Fingers crossed its as good as it sounds! I'm glad I gave this one more shot (thanks to folks in this thread) and didn't just accept the vibrations forever.

Don't accept this problem. If you still have warranty, push for a resolution!!

Old 04-18-2022, 04:58 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
Good news here. I took my 2017 in for one last attempt to fix this while I still had CPO warranty. I was introduced to a tech with 20 years experience, with every single level of Mercedes qualification. He had dealt with the highway speed vibration on C43s many times, and described the issue to me before I told him the details (the pulsing vibration through steering wheel and rest of car that starts around 65mph, peaks at 70 mph and chills by 80mph). He test drove the car with me, and the moment he got on the highway he said "this is the worst one I've ever felt" which made me feel sane.

He said they have purchased special piezo (I think) tools for measuring and correcting vibrations in the drivetrain. They had the car for a week and then called me today saying they balanced the driveshafts and the diff and that the vibrations were completely eliminated. Furthermore, they were doing a few other fixes under warranty before I get my car back. I cant wait. Fingers crossed its as good as it sounds! I'm glad I gave this one more shot (thanks to folks in this thread) and didn't just accept the vibrations forever.

Great to hear! I believe it's a pico test. please let us know what the outcome is. Unfortunately, I think other models are impacted by this and not only the AMGs.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:22 PM

C 43
Sweet ! I've done probably 10k-12k since the repair (no garage queen here) and it's still smooth as glass at 70 ! Glad it worked out for you, and no, WE aren't crazy...(well)
DirtyDD (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 07:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Happy to hear that, thanks for sharing with us!
Old 05-19-2022, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘19 C43 ‘06 C230

Can you please provide your deal info, my car's in the dealership trying to address the same problem, i want to connect them to someone with knowledge of the issue.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:17 PM

C43 AMG W205
They need to purchase a pico sensor to measure the vibrations and then they can balance the driveshafts. My dealer had specifically purchased a tool to deal with multiple complaints before. Car is way better than before, but still not perfect. Probably 80% gone. They said my vibration was the worst they had ever seen. The remaining vibration could be my wheels, they said two were slightly bent. The pico measurements were in spec after their balancing.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:27 PM

‘19 C43 ‘06 C230
thanks for the info. Car's still at the dealer, hope they can resolve the issue.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jyli19
thanks for the info. Car's still at the dealer, hope they can resolve the issue.
Although I given up on fixing the one on my 2017 C 43, I am curious if you got yours fixed with the method provided by other forum members, although I personally won't bother with my own car as I "got used to it" I do want to see the cars getting fixed, which includes yours.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:10 PM

C43 AMG 2019 FL
Strange buzzing sound in Sports+ mode

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this strange buzzing sound in Sports+ mode coming from the front of driver's door. Its as 2019 FL RHD. Please refer to the sound clip at the 3 sec mark.
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
driver side_1.mp3 (247.5 KB, 13 views)