C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise 2017 C43 Sedan while coasting - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Eric Lessard
Wow !!!!! Push for that repurchase!!!
I am seriously losing patience at my end.

Here is my status update as of September 27th.

It took a week and a half for the driveshaft to arrive from Germany.
As expected, it didn't change a thing.

- I have been without my spanking new car for a month now.
- Dealer is expecting new instructions from MB - Each time they try something, it's like 2 to 4 days to receive an answer (let's not rate the efficiency of the process here...)
- They would want me to wait again another x weeks, for a differential change but honestly, I am not in the mood to help Mercedes get their act together and use me as an R&D lab.
- We are entering a conversation to switch my car for another new one (Mercedes repurchase). Enough is enough.
- The dealer has 2 more c43 units in the yard, but the problem is that they informed me the cars in their lot come from the same manufacturing batch and..... have the same problem (they drove test them, the same problem).
- Ultimately, I am not ready to wait any longer for a solution and will try to switch for something that makes sense.
- 2019 C43 are now a rare inventory item in Canada (Meaning inventory with cars that are well/similar equipped). Will I have to wait for a 2020 or choose another car in the AMG line-up.
- I have owned C43 2017, C63S 2016, E63S 2018... the only thing left to try is E53 2019 or go SUV (Beurk)
-The First choice would be to find another C43 without damn issues...

We'll see later today what they are ready to do.
My mood : Pretty much around being totally discussed and fed up by the situation.
Crazy. Sorry to hear that man. Truly appreciate the update though.

I still haven't heard anything since Tuesday. The 3rd differential (overall) was supposed to be installed on Wednesday.

Car has been in the shop for 23 consecutive business days (30 business days = lemon law qualification in my State). Basically, I've also been without my car for a month.

Hearing about the lack of availability with respect to 2019 C43s is disappointing. That was my only glimmer of hope (thinking about a replacement happening soon).
The following users liked this post:
Eric Lessard (09-29-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
UPDATE:

Dealer claims my car is fixed with the 2nd diff. installed.

They also installed “diff dampers” - as instructed by Germany.

I haven’t heard anyone that has had a diff replacement talk about diff dampers, and it wouldn't sit well with me if these are some kind of slapdash bandaid on the 2nd (3rd overall counting the original) diff - which sounds like it didn’t work without these dampers.

Still need more info., the parts just caught my eye on the invoice.

Thoughts? Are these OE parts on the C43 diff? Seems pretty convenient when I’m 6 days away from the lemon law statute in my State.

Edit:

This is the answer I was given:

"They are OE parts in the sense that they were made by Mercedes Benz for your vehicle. They are direct fit and bolt onto the rear differential and are an approved repair by the manufacturer."

The way that reads to me is: They are parts that were not installed on my car, or any other C43 AMG, when "new."

Last edited by zibby43; 09-30-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
My opinion on this issue is that it seems unlikely to be the differential. The probability of the 2nd and 3rd differentials also having the same noise is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. That's just my opinion.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Zibby43, What happens in the USA with the lemon law? You get your money back? (nothing like that here in the UK)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by TModelle
My opinion on this issue is that it seems unlikely to be the differential. The probability of the 2nd and 3rd differentials also having the same noise is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. That's just my opinion.
Well, I wish you'd get in touch with MB Germany and let them know what it actually is, because they're throwing diffs at everyone and secretly, I don't think they're confident.

Maybe you can help me answer this: what the hell is a "diff damper"? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by C43Driver
Zibby43, What happens in the USA with the lemon law? You get your money back? (nothing like that here in the UK)
It varies by State. Under Indiana law, the dealer has 30 (business days, Monday - Saturday) or 4 attempts to fix a problem with the vehicle. The days don't have to be consecutive, and can accrue in a calendar year in terms of period of time.

What happens if I hit that 30 day mark (I'm at 25 consecutive, and well over 30 for the year)?

"The manufacturer shall accept the return of the vehicle and refund the amounts paid less an offset for the consumer’s use of the vehicle, or provide a replacement vehicle of comparable value". I.C. § 24-5-13-10. "If a refund is tendered, the consumer is entitled to recover all incidental costs associated with the purchase or lease of the vehicle, including but not limited to sales tax, registration fees, dealer added options and finance interest charges."

What's interesting in my case is, it looks like Mercedes have authorized parts not originally included on my C43 or the rear diff assembly to be installed as some sort of "duct tape" solution. Probably did it to stop throwing money at a problem they couldn't fix, and try to avoid the lemon law.

What they don't know is, I'm already over 30 days for the year due to other problems on the car, including a previous visit for the diff in April.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by zibby43
Well, I wish you'd get in touch with MB Germany and let them know what it actually is, because they're throwing diffs at everyone and secretly, I don't think they're confident.

Maybe you can help me answer this: what the hell is a "diff damper"? Thanks in advance.
softer/more compliant bushings?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by alexasa
softer/more compliant bushings?
I picked the car up today and confirmed that the “diff dampers” are not OE for the C43. No car comes with them from the factory. They have a MB part number and are about $60 a pop.

On my initial drive home, the noise was not there. After driving for an hour or so around town in 40-50 mph speed zones, the noise came back 100% and was loud enough to be heard over talk radio and the PE.

In addition, the dealer did an alignment and now my car pulls **severely** to the right. Even when I drove in a flat parking lot with no crown.

Even when I drove in the left lane on a 2-lane highway (crown falls to the left), the car pulled to the right across the top of the crown and kept on pulling.

I’m speechless at this point. I’m also 100% certain the 3rd diff that was installed was worse, and that they tried to mask the problem with the cheap rubber bushings.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C43 2019
Originally Posted by zibby43
I picked the car up today and confirmed that the “diff dampers” are not OE for the C43. No car comes with them from the factory. They have a MB part number and are about $60 a pop.

On my initial drive home, the noise was not there. After driving for an hour or so around town in 40-50 mph speed zones, the noise came back 100% and was loud enough to be heard over talk radio and the PE.

In addition, the dealer did an alignment and now my car pulls **severely** to the right. Even when I drove in a flat parking lot with no crown.

Even when I drove in the left lane on a 2-lane highway (crown falls to the left), the car pulled to the right across the top of the crown and kept on pulling.

I’m speechless at this point. I’m also 100% certain the 3rd diff that was installed was worse, and that they tried to mask the problem with the cheap rubber bushings.
it is simply totally nuts to see what this company is asking its customer base to endure.
I am awaiting feedback from the dealership at my end, with this supposedly "special C43 AMG driveshaft' they are installing today.
I have very little fate... and losing my thrust in Mercedes's capacity to address issues that are more and more present from various car owners.
I am a subscriber to 2 C43 Facebook pages, every single day there is a problem with a c43 appearing.

What is wrong at AMG and Mercedes for such cars ending up on the road with so many innaceptable problems on low mileage/spanking new cars.... ?!?!?!
My love affair with AMG (4 cars bought new or almost new directly at dealerships) is taking the downslope at a very rapid rate. 5 weeks today without a brand new car.
I am a patient man, not an idiot one.
We'll see if they abide by their words and commitment.
If not fixed today, they can keep that car, I will never sit again in it and when I say I won't, I won't.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:36 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
All cars come with bushings in their differential mounting holes, but to have softer bushings installed is just a band-aid solution to bad engineering/manufacturing. Keep pushing for a proper diagnosis or lemon-law.
zibby43 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by jonathan358
All cars come with bushings in their differential mounting holes, but to have softer bushings installed is just a band-aid solution to bad engineering/manufacturing. Keep pushing for a proper diagnosis or lemon-law.
100% agreed. I had to pry and needle them to get them to admit that (i.e., that the new "diff dampers" were genuine parts, but not standard on any C43s). Before settling on that "fix," I was told that they would keep throwing differentials at the car until the noise was gone. That bravado on their part went out the window real fast when the 3rd overall diff still didn't eliminate the whining/harmonic resonance-type noise in the 40-50 mph range.

The alternative band-aid solution did not work. This car's going to be history soon.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
I no longer have my C43, was forced to sell due to a crainotomy and no longer being able to drive for a while. I read through the whole thread and it seems like a very elaborate attempt to discredit the car. The sound is not artificial like in BMW's its coming from the exhaust. Before I got the engine update for me the car sounded better and louder than a C63s w205.

The 2016 model was the ultimate in acoustics the upshift bang literally sounded like a grenade going off. The new one sounds nothing like that and if you ever take your car in for a service the car is effectively castrated by Mercedes probably due to new emissions regulations. Its a sad situation and will probably get worse. The project one sounds impressive lets hope Mercedes can solve the sound problem by filtering that kind of tech down to the lower models in the next few years.

Last edited by sorcerer1; 10-05-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by sorcerer1
I no longer have my C43, was forced to sell due to a crainotomy and no longer being able to drive for a while. I read through the whole thread and it seems like a very elaborate attempt to discredit the car. The sound is not artificial like in BMW's its coming from the exhaust. Before I got the engine update for me the car sounded better and louder than a C63s w205.

The 2016 model was the ultimate in acoustics the upshift bang literally sounded like a grenade going off. The new one sounds nothing like that and if you ever take your car in for a service the car is effectively castrated by Mercedes probably due to new emissions regulations. Its a sad situation and will probably get worse. The project one sounds impressive lets hope Mercedes can solve the sound problem by filtering that kind of tech down to the lower models in the next few years.
We're not talking about the exhaust mate. We're talking about whining coming from the differential.

Did you reply to the wrong thread? The Performance Exhaust sounds great.
Eric Lessard (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C43 2019
Final update

After 38 days without, I finally am driving my C43 with no more noise or issues (well at least for now lol).

A second drive shaft, especially balanced at AMG (and not at Mercedes) was shipped and installed last Friday.
It solved my problem immediately and the car now rides as a new car should.

Given all the problems and potential angles to fix, in the end, Mercedes as allowed for lifetime service to be paid by them for the loss of the car over such a long period.

Now my appreciation thumbs up/thumbs down

Thumbs UP

To Mercedez Gatineau, Quebec and their team. During this long and frustrating endeavor, the team at this dealer as not only been efficient, but very much comprehensive. They didn't try to deviate the problem and confirmed this was not an acceptable situation and I felt not only understood but respected. They did guide me in the process, called me almost every day with updates, and I honestly believe they have done their best within the limits they have over such an issue.

Thumbs DOWN

To Mercedes, the manufacturer. How can a car end up on the street (and many others) with such problems? Their resolution process and approach to things (Open a case in their system, wait for them to provide instructions and exchange feedback with their dealer) is from another world. Not efficient, with a level of urgency and customer care that is really not to the level of what they pretend to offer. Overall, it took 20 hrs of work at the dealership to solve while the car was on site for 984 hours... slow, just painfully slow and inefficient.

Now, as this was my 4th buy of AMG product over the last 36 months, will I buy from them again?
Well, I'll see but as a start, I have a long memory and will not forget easily this very bad experience with Mercedes.
I have had it with companies that take people for granted, and problems to be fixed as a "we'll fix it at their own rhythm" and ultimately act cocky with consumers.

In conclusion, I feel for all of you guys that are going through major problems on a brand new unit (or almost new).

Take notes, don't accept any BS, and if you are caught with a car dealer that wants to make you believe things are normal when their not, do yourself a favor, go elsewhere as in the end, it's the dealership ability to manage a case with Mercedes (who often acts as more irresponsible corporation than not) that will resolve the problem and nothing else.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Eric Lessard
Final update

After 38 days without, I finally am driving my C43 with no more noise or issues (well at least for now lol).

A second drive shaft, especially balanced at AMG (and not at Mercedes) was shipped and installed last Friday.
It solved my problem immediately and the car now rides as a new car should.

Given all the problems and potential angles to fix, in the end, Mercedes as allowed for lifetime service to be paid by them for the loss of the car over such a long period.

Now my appreciation thumbs up/thumbs down

Thumbs UP

To Mercedez Gatineau, Quebec and their team. During this long and frustrating endeavor, the team at this dealer as not only been efficient, but very much comprehensive. They didn't try to deviate the problem and confirmed this was not an acceptable situation and I felt not only understood but respected. They did guide me in the process, called me almost every day with updates, and I honestly believe they have done their best within the limits they have over such an issue.

Thumbs DOWN

To Mercedes, the manufacturer. How can a car end up on the street (and many others) with such problems? Their resolution process and approach to things (Open a case in their system, wait for them to provide instructions and exchange feedback with their dealer) is from another world. Not efficient, with a level of urgency and customer care that is really not to the level of what they pretend to offer. Overall, it took 20 hrs of work at the dealership to solve while the car was on site for 984 hours... slow, just painfully slow and inefficient.

Now, as this was my 4th buy of AMG product over the last 36 months, will I buy from them again?
Well, I'll see but as a start, I have a long memory and will not forget easily this very bad experience with Mercedes.
I have had it with companies that take people for granted, and problems to be fixed as a "we'll fix it at their own rhythm" and ultimately act cocky with consumers.

In conclusion, I feel for all of you guys that are going through major problems on a brand new unit (or almost new).

Take notes, don't accept any BS, and if you are caught with a car dealer that wants to make you believe things are normal when their not, do yourself a favor, go elsewhere as in the end, it's the dealership ability to manage a case with Mercedes (who often acts as more irresponsible corporation than not) that will resolve the problem and nothing else.
Glad you finally have your car back. Thanks for sharing.
Eric Lessard (10-17-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 07:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by sorcerer1

I think you should actually read the thread. I can assure you since I'm the OP that there is no elaborate attempt to discredit the car! LOL
Eric Lessard (10-17-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,492 Likes on 2,119 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Please I need your advice

Originally Posted by Seanhfx
I think you should actually read the thread. I can assure you since I'm the OP that there is no elaborate attempt to discredit the car! LOL
Hi there Seanhfx:

Happy holidays!

I really need your advice, I notice you sold your C43 but I've been dealing with my dealership for the past 2 months on this issue. Please tell me what I can tell them because I have the exact same symptoms and noise at the specified speeds. A TIPS case is even opened. What happened was, they swapped the rear differential with an 8 hour job and the noise was still there. After that, that is why they opened a TIPS case, one week later after that swap (this was 1 and a half months ago) Mercedes-Benz Canada gave instructions and changed the rear differential oil which did not solve the issue, they just keeps on postponing things and I am losing my patience. As there are many other small issues and one other major issue with the vehicle. I really like the W205 and have no plans to get rid of it yet.
My car is a MY17 and I reside in Toronto, Ontario
Appreciate everything you can help with
Also, anyone else that lives in Canada that understand how Mercedes-Canada and the dealerships works or have any advice please reply.
Finally, last but not least anyone that doesn't live in Canada but have advice on what I could do moving forward, please reply. Thanks everyone!
I wish everyone happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Do you mind helping me please?

Originally Posted by stockbmw
Sadly, you can barely hear it now with the new differential.
Hi there, stockbmw

Happy holidays!

I need your advice as I noticed you reside in Toronto according to what you shared, do you mind telling me here or via private message what dealership did you get the car fixed at, do you mind also telling me what did the shop foreman do and what did you tell them to get this fixed. I had been dealing with it for two months and maybe even more and so far they replaced the differential 1.5 months ago after finally being convinced it was a differential, that took many weeks, and the order took 2 days which I found it odd when it took everyone 2 weeks. It seems like they ordered and installed another broken one. Now even a TIPS case is opened and Mercedes Canada told them to just swap the differential oil after an initial break in period and as expected it didn't do anything and it is hard for them to be convinced that this differential is defective as well.
I have a MY17.
Thanks in advance for any sort of help you can offer me!
Old 12-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by GWSHARK
Folks, the symptoms you have described are exactly the ones I had. It’s the differential. Have them put it on a lift and run the car, it will likely howl when not under load ( weight of the vehicle). My SA said the noise was as extremely loud in the service bay. Hope this helps.
Hi there, GWSHARK

Happy holidays!

I need your advice as I noticed you reside in Toronto according to what you shared, do you mind telling me here or via private message what dealership did you get the car fixed at, do you mind also telling me what did the shop foreman do and what did you tell them to get this fixed. I had been dealing with it for two months and maybe even more and so far they replaced the differential 1.5 months ago after finally being convinced it was a differential, that took many weeks, and the order took 2 days which I found it odd when it took everyone 2 weeks. It seems like they ordered and installed another broken one. Now even a TIPS case is opened and Mercedes Canada told them to just swap the differential oil after an initial break in period and as expected it didn't do anything and it is hard for them to be convinced that this differential is defective as well.

I forgot to add in my other post that I quoted stockbmw that my service manager went above and beyond and said it was the wheel bearing and that differentials do not whine. I am not going to question his expertise nor comment on it, at this point I just want to get it fixed and done with.

I have a MY17.
Thanks in advance for any sort of help you can offer me!
Old 12-23-2019, 09:20 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Hi @W205C43PFL I am dealing with MB MARKHAM, and truth be told, the whine is back and my car is booked in for Jan 13 to review again. I’ve requested a meeting with Service Manager and MB ( no response as yet) to try and resolve issue , if it can be. This will be my 4th differential if swapped. I too really enjoy the car and my lease is up in 6 months, but can’t find an alternative that will provide the functionality and performance of this car. The struggle continues and I will advise forum via this thread if Any meeting materializes and anything comes of it.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by GWSHARK
Hi @W205C43PFLI am dealing with MB MARKHAM, and truth be told, the whine is back and my car is booked in for Jan 13 to review again. I’ve requested a meeting with Service Manager and MB ( no response as yet) to try and resolve issue , if it can be. This will be my 4th differential if swapped. I too really enjoy the car and my lease is up in 6 months, but can’t find an alternative that will provide the functionality and performance of this car. The struggle continues and I will advise forum via this thread if Any meeting materializes and anything comes of it.
Hi, @GWSHARK

Wow that is depressing I am so sorry that you have to deal with this once again. I hope they finally fix it for you! Apparently, it is the loudest when it is at temperature below freezing (and the colder it gets the louder it gets but then stop getting louder when at -15 celsius) I wouldn't say it is normal because I do not believe this whining is normal. Since MB Markham is part of the Toronto Retail Group so they deal directly with corporate (so Mercedes-Benz Canada) so they should be easier to work with I hope.

I actually moved away from the corporate dealership network since I moved so dealing with a privately owned Mercedes dealership right now.

Best of luck with the issue and please keep me updated. If you are willing to share the details like service advisor and technician that was in charge through private message that will help as well if you aren't willing to, I won't pressure you since that is your right. The reason why I want that information is because so far the people I deal with insist is the wheel bearing because differentials don't whine (um what?) or say diffs are expected to make noise so simply put it, they don't seem to really want to work with me. Well, after all that struggle they did replace the differential but it will be super difficult to convince them the second diff is broken as well.

I also have an unrelated issue which is a defective transmission which I have to deal with as well.

Thanks so much for your reply and thanks in advance for your future replies!

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 12-23-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Fix typos/mistakes (also added sentences)
Old 12-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hi there, stockbmw
I got my car fixed at MB Maple. Except for amount of times I went there to fix various items like brakes, diff, driveshaft, rear pads, etc. I been treated pretty good.

The shop foreman I thought initially was going to brush me off when I went in for diff noise, he called me a week later after he ordering the part to come in. I was surprised.

Then after the diff repair, he said he still hears something (I didn't) and said new driveshaft been ordered from Germany. After a month later, I got new driveshaft installed.

I also been hearing rear brakes noise and after awhile, thought they forgotten about me and I was gonna install new rear pads myself, but surprise surprise, got a call maybe 2 months later that my parts came in. It was new pads with some lame 3M tape, asked for new rotors but no go.

I want to bring my car in for like 100th time before my 2 year wear and tear warranty is up but can't find a reason at the moment.

Overall good people there.

​​​​​​​If you are around the area, feel free to PM me and I can look to see if you are experiencing similar problems as me.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Hi stockbmw,

I really appreciate your reply regarding the C43 and I am glad that you got your car fixed. Hopefully the issue is fixed for good and stay that way.

Thanks for your recommendation. Do you mind me asking about what is the shop foreman's name and which service advisor, technician did you talk with?

For an unrelated problem, do you have transmission jerking issues and sometimes clunk sounds when it downshifts from gear 3 to gear 2, it happens when you gradually stop a stop sign through gentle braking. Lots of times it gives you a good kick as well. Hopefully your car doesn't have this issue so I'm the only victim towards this but if you do please let me know so I know if I am alone or not with this.

I also appreciate you offering to test drive my vehicle for me to see if the noise is there however I already moved away from Toronto hence why I am dealing with a privately owned dealership. Thanks though!

Thanks again and looking forward to your reply.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 12-25-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Excuse the editing and stuff, I am new to the forums and this forum software so I am still learning on how to navigate through it and post stuff.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 12-25-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Hi @GWSHARK
Sorry to bother you...
I am messaging you because I am curious if Mercedes finally fixed the car for you during today's appointment. I really hope they finally fixed it for you and found the cause to the issue.
Please update us once you hear back from them. Thanks!
For me, I recently swapped on my snow tires and unfortunately the sound of the winter tire is covering the differential noise. I will need to get it checked out next time I put my summers back on.
The noise is much more audible at extreme low temperatures like -15 before wind chill.
Best of luck on your car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whining noise 2017 C43 Sedan while coasting - thoughts?