Sponsored by:

Long Weekend-Amazing Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 PM

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
C 43
Long Weekend-Amazing Car

Drove from NY Metro area to Ottowa for a wedding this weekend.

A lot of cars are only good or tolerable in short doses, especially high performance cars. I've had a few days with the Nissan GT-R, for example-fun for a day but not the car I'd take to California. There is a reason lots of the truly fast cars have 7000 miles after five years....likewise many lesser cars could do the trip but you are vibrating when you finally get out.

Not the C43. The car didn't grind us at all. Great seating, comfortable....

Trip Stats
905 miles
14 Hours, 58 Minutes run time.
Average 61 mph. Hours of high speed highway work which don't need to be detailed- diluted with lots of slow rolling around metro Ottowa for the usual hotel-ceremony-reception-hotel-sightseeing-etc-etc.

The amazing part...26.1 mpg. After all that use and abuse, the car even had the decency to be efficient-maybe it was happy to get non-ethanol for a change.

Oh, and obligatory the runflats still suck, but I"m that much closer to replacement .

0-60 in in 4.5 seconds, 26 mpg, and insanely long legs on the open road. I've never seen such a do-it-all car.

Last edited by speedlaw; 09-22-2019 at 09:28 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by speedlaw:
Baldur! (09-23-2019), buco (09-23-2019), chrissy0874 (09-23-2019), DylanM (09-23-2019), PFEAMG (09-23-2019), viperx100 (09-27-2019), xCharmCity (09-24-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by speedlaw
Drove from NY Metro area to Ottowa for a wedding this weekend.

A lot of cars are only good or tolerable in short doses, especially high performance cars. I've had a few days with the Nissan GT-R, for example-fun for a day but not the car I'd take to California. There is a reason lots of the truly fast cars have 7000 miles after five years....likewise many lesser cars could do the trip but you are vibrating when you finally get out.

Not the C43. The car didn't grind us at all. Great seating, comfortable....

Trip Stats
905 miles
14 Hours, 58 Minutes run time.
Average 61 mph. Hours of high speed highway work which don't need to be detailed- diluted with lots of slow rolling around metro Ottowa for the usual hotel-ceremony-reception-hotel-sightseeing-etc-etc.

The amazing part...26.1 mpg. After all that use and abuse, the car even had the decency to be efficient-maybe it was happy to get non-ethanol for a change.

Oh, and obligatory the runflats still suck, but I"m that much closer to replacement .

0-60 in in 4.5 seconds, 26 mpg, and insanely long legs on the open road. I've never seen such a do-it-all car.
Sounds like a great trip! Out of curiosity did you have the car in Comfort most of the time? Also what MY do you own?
Old 09-23-2019, 03:53 PM

C 43
The car is a 2019. Most of the time in town Comfort suspension with Sport transaxle, as comfort has too much slop in the throttle. On the highway, Sport plus but with PE in quiet. I'll manually upshift on the highway once up to speed, but in town sport plus holds gears too long. It is, however, perfect for mountain roads, so I see what they were doing.

I wish I could split the throttle response and the shift patterns. Comfort suspension is good in town but the throttle is too loose. Sport gives you better throttle but the suspension is odd....hard on small bumps but allows lots of pitch and yaw like comfort...the exact opposite of what you might want (and porsche does this right). Sport plus in town holds gears too long.

My Individual switch has Sport + transaxle and suspension set, with PE to quiet. ESP is set to sport because I like to allow a bit of slide...the ESP in normal mode is a very strict nanny, no playtime allowed !! I just upshift with the paddle when I need to.

My ideal for highway work would be be to somehow allow the comfort transmission shift patterns with the sport or sport plus throttle response.....but you can't do that. Likewise, I wish you could program the car to start in your preferred mode.
The following users liked this post:
PFEAMG (09-24-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C350C - Black 68K MILES as of 09/19
Sedan or Coupe?
Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 PM

C 43
sedan
Old 09-24-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by speedlaw
Likewise, I wish you could program the car to start in your preferred mode.
Yeah me too and thousands of others lol. It is one of the (few) pet peeves I have about the car. The other is not being able to completely turn off the stupid ECO button. It is so friggn annoying. I know it's just a button, or selecting Sport or Sport +, but I always forget until the first stop sign or red light.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:04 PM

C 43
My guess is that the EPA or someone requires that the car be certified in whatever default mode it starts in, which would explain why there is so much slop in the throttle in comfort mode....
The following users liked this post:
PFEAMG (09-27-2019)