C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019- strange acceleration spikes on ECU tuned car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
2019- strange acceleration spikes on ECU tuned car.

I've been analysing my Wagon's Dragy times and have noted slightly reduced trap speeds and 60-130 / 100-200 times compared to my fast 0-60 ( 3.56) and 1/4 mile of 11.81.
I've notice on some runs there some large negative G spikes where the acceleration dips down to almost 0Gs then spikes back up again.
Do you think these are boost spikes and throttle closures?
( not visible below but are above)
I've posted a shot of @UKARDSracer 1/2 mile which is similar time, bit much smoother Graph in acceleration G.
Both are 2019 but mine is ECU , whereas his is JB4 plus BCM.
I have standard intake as well. Thoughts?
Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Here are 60 - 130 and 1/4 miles on my tuned coupe for further comparison.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:49 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tuned '18 C43 coupe & Stock '18 GLE43 coupe
1. How is you Dragy secured? Loose or secured with no movement. I hear some ppl just leave in the cup holder. I think you need to securely mount/sticky it.

2. You should datalog. You will see exactly what the car is doing. Throttle closure, out of fuel, timing retard, etc.

3. I noticed some canned tunes are fast from the get go but winded on top. Vice versa. If you really want the whole bandwidth, you will need a real custom dyno or road tune. Because all these tuners are emailing you files that worked on someone else's car. Not tailored to you.

Originally Posted by ShakyTom
Here are 60 - 130 and 1/4 miles on my tuned coupe for further comparison.

I thought you run 10.5's 60-130mph?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:56 AM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
It does, that's just what I had to hand from screenshots I had transferred to my computer
Old 09-26-2019, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by xX G Xx
1. How is you Dragy secured? Loose or secured with no movement. I hear some ppl just leave in the cup holder. I think you need to securely mount/sticky it.

2. You should datalog. You will see exactly what the car is doing. Throttle closure, out of fuel, timing retard, etc.

3. I noticed some canned tunes are fast from the get go but winded on top. Vice versa. If you really want the whole bandwidth, you will need a real custom dyno or road tune. Because all these tuners are emailing you files that worked on someone else's car. Not tailored to you.

m:
It's always held securely with the magnet and on top of the dash. You can see a big difference in the curves between my mapped car and the jb4 car.
The maps are sent to MSL from Eurocharged Houston.
They are still using pre facelift maps not really made for the facelift. Even though I've had 2 new maps there's been issues with torque limiter code errors causing limp modes.
No one in the UK really has custom maps for this car/ facelift, AFAIK, only the prefacelift. The level of custom mapping available for BMW and VAG far outweighs ours.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by AhEmGee
It's always held securely with the magnet and on top of the dash. You can see a big difference in the curves between my mapped car and the jb4 car.
The maps are sent to MSL from Eurocharged Houston.
They are still using pre facelift maps not really made for the facelift. Even though I've had 2 new maps there's been issues with torque limiter code errors causing limp modes.
No one in the UK really has custom maps for this car/ facelift, AFAIK, only the prefacelift. The level of custom mapping available for BMW and VAG far outweighs ours.

I wouldn't worry about the G meter. Suspension setup, bumps on the road, etc will cause it to jump around. Rather, I highly recommend you datalog. You seem like you want to push your estate to the limits. I would use a datalogger to keep an eye out on exactly what these different tunes are doing to your engine. You can send the datalogs back to EC for them to fine tune it as well.
The following users liked this post:
MatthewJ (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 03:30 AM

Your 100-200km/h does seem a little slow....

When I did 11.9 in the 1/4, my 100-200km/h was 9.3 for your reference.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:08 AM

Your 100-200km/h does seem a little slow....

When I did 11.9 in the 1/4, my 100-200km/h was 9.3 for your reference.
My 0-60 and 1/4 mile, even half mile time are fast.
But the slow 100-200 do seem to be affected by the spikes. Those runs were done on smooth roads and you can feel these odd stutters in acceleration and thats what's slowing the times down on long WOT.
Can you recommend a good data logger? Thanks.

Mine is an estate and it has a lot more drag than the coupe, but it's only about 40 kg heavier, which isn't that much. I think the spikes are the main difference in slower times.
It would be interesting to see another tune only FL Estate time for comparison, but I don't know of any.

Last edited by AhEmGee; 09-26-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:30 AM

My 0-60 and 1/4 mile, even half mile time are fast.
But the slow 100-200 do seem to be affected by the spikes. Those runs were done on smooth roads and you can feel these odd stutters in acceleration and thats what's slowing the times down on long WOT.
Can you recommend a good data logger? Thanks.

Mine is an estate and it has a lot more drag than the coupe, but it's only about 40 kg heavier, which isn't that much. I think the spikes are the main difference in slower times.
It would be interesting to see another tune only FL Estate time for comparison, but I don't know of any.
Well, you are moving in the 1/4, so I don't think drag is your problem. You mentioned you were feeling stutters, that is the problem! If you had logs, the stories it will tell of these stutters.

I used JB4 for datalogging. Sorry, I don't know other brands to recommend. Maybe ask your tune shop, or do some search on the internet. There should be plenty of dataloggers available.

Wana stack? Fine tune yourself~
UKARDSracer (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:26 AM

Well, you are moving in the 1/4, so I don't think drag is your problem. You mentioned you were feeling stutters, that is the problem! If you had logs, the stories it will tell of these stutters.

I used JB4 for datalogging. Sorry, I don't know other brands to recommend. Maybe ask your tune shop, or do some search on the internet. There should be plenty of dataloggers available.

Wana stack? Fine tune yourself~
I've been contemplating running a jb4 & bcm over the top. That would probably sort my issues out. Not confident the tuner will be able too.
Just abit annoying spending £ more after the map when other cars have great maps readily available from stage 1.
Especially when the wife wants furniture for the empty rooms in our new house😂😂. I have my own priorities though.

What is your set up then?
Old 09-26-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe, Mountune Ford Focus RS, Range Rover Sport
I've been contemplating running a jb4 & bcm over the top. That would probably sort my issues out. Not confident the tuner will be able too.
Just abit annoying spending £ more after the map when other cars have great maps readily available from stage 1.
Especially when the wife wants furniture for the empty rooms in our new house😂😂. I have my own priorities though.

As xXGXx says above, a JB4 would be the best tool that I am aware of for data logging with your current EC tune.

Map 4 of the JB4 enables CANbus active logging of stock tune (in your case the EC tune being 'stock' as such), which would provide you with a wealth of data for analysis as per your current tune. I believe the JB4 is worth it just for the active 'stock' data logging feature, let alone access to several other 'performance' maps.

You would also need the JB4 iOS or Android App which you can get from the Appstore for circa $25 bucks. The JB4 unit would need to be connected to your OBDII port, which is straightforward in terms of running the wire from the JB unit in the engine bay, through the bulkhead and to the OBDII port in the drivers side footwell. Plenty of instructions on the BMS site and forums etc., as to how to do this but frankly, we only live circa 40 miles away from each other, I would be happy to help you run the wire one evening / weekend etc. It would take about 10 mins.

I don't think at this stage you would need to buy the BMS Boost Control Module until you have analysed the data. From the excellent launch times you are achieving at present, it may not be required.
BMS (09-27-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by UKARDSracer
As xXGXx says above, a JB4 would be the best tool that I am aware of for data logging with your current EC tune.

Map 4 of the JB4 enables CANbus active logging of stock tune (in your case the EC tune being 'stock' as such), which would provide you with a wealth of data for analysis as per your current tune. I believe the JB4 is worth it just for the active 'stock' data logging feature, let alone access to several other 'performance' maps.

You would also need the JB4 iOS or Android App which you can get from the Appstore for circa $25 bucks. The JB4 unit would need to be connected to your OBDII port, which is straightforward in terms of running the wire from the JB unit in the engine bay, through the bulkhead and to the OBDII port in the drivers side footwell. Plenty of instructions on the BMS site and forums etc., as to how to do this but frankly, we only live circa 40 miles away from each other, I would be happy to help you run the wire one evening / weekend etc. It would take about 10 mins.

I don't think at this stage you would need to buy the BMS Boost Control Module until you have analysed the data. From the excellent launch times you are achieving at present, it may not be required.
That's interesting, from what I've read on the 19s the BCM would be a requirement.

Isn't there a bluetooth connection available so you don't have to run a wire through the bulkhead, and you can use an app?
Either way , what a guy , thanks for the offer !
Old 09-26-2019, 06:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe, Mountune Ford Focus RS, Range Rover Sport
That's interesting, from what I've read on the 19s the BCM would be a requirement.

Isn't there a bluetooth connection available so you don't have to run a wire through the bulkhead, and you can use an app?
Either way , what a guy , thanks for the offer !
BCM module is normally required for 19's that don't have a tune and are struggling to make low down boost in order to achieve good launch times. You clearly are making the extra boost targets albeit via EC tune and would dare say that you have the fastest 0-60 time of any '19' out there currently, that I am aware of.

Your EC tune is already controlling wastegate / boost directly. Therefore unless Terry and guys over at BMS think otherwise, you simply don't need it the BMS BCM module.

Yes, the JB4 unit can be accessed via Bluetooth from your smartphone for changing maps and variables on the fly. The JB4 unit itself though needs to connect into the cars CANbus data network (Via OBD11 port) in order to read ECU data before it can add its magic and create additional targeted boost by RPM etc.

There are some folks running JB4 without OBDII but very few I would have thought, as the overall performance gains are far less if the JB4 doesn't know the engine type, or have the key engine data that it uses in order to apply to the several performance maps available via there smartphone app.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:53 PM

I would let EC resolve all your ECU tune issues before considering stacking a JB4. I doubt JB4 can sort out the stutters.

I had JB4 first. It didn't work 100% as expected. (Long story short. Catless DP CEL. BMS was kind enough to offer refund, but I opt to keep it to stack and datalog.) Got a Techtec.de ECU tune from local dealer. Basically a canned tune for 93oct pump gas. Not the fastest, but runs great and I love it. W/O stacking, it ran 11.9 / 9.3 very safely. (1/4 & 100-200km/h) Stacked with some octane boosters, it rans 11.6 / 8.9. I don't have access to better fuel here so I keep the JB4 in Map 0 (stock) for daily driving.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:18 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
Get a JB4 log on there, lets check out the log, and see if we can help you sort it out!