C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member, First Mercedes (brand new) and its in the shop?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 09:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C43 AMG
New Member, First Mercedes (brand new) and its in the shop?!

Hi All! I've been quite the car enthusiast for a while. Gawking at the beautiful Euro's, but could never afford one. 3 Years ago I bought a brand new MK7 GTI and what a great car it was! Since then, my career has skyrocketed and thus affording me the opportunity to purchase a car i've admired for so long.. About 10 days ago I was able to purchase a brand new 2019 C43 AMG and I couldn't be happier! Well that is until I dropped it off at Mercedes yesterday...

I started noticing right away that at about 65-70mph I would get this sort of "rhythmic" vibration through the car. It felt like it was coming up through the seat and I immediately knew something wasn't right. Well yesterday I went out for a drive with a tech at Mercedes and he definitely agreed that this is not normal and unacceptable for a new car. I'm now stuck in a nice, but not C43 AMG nice, 2020 CLA250 while they diagnose the issue. My service adviser called me today and said that they've gone through the basics, checking the balance, tires, wheels, etc. and are now going to move on to assessing the driveshaft. I've read some other posts here about my model having the same vibration and needing to get a new driveshaft sent from Germany..

I'm a bit nervous right now. I've never bought such a nice (and expensive) vehicle and this is not how I imagined going into my second weekend with it.. Does anyone have any insight into this issue or any words that could calm my nerves?

p.s. - They also are going to be taking apart the rear bumped as there is a malfunctioning sensor that is causing my driver-side blind spot detector to stay lit about 90% of the time.. Really nervous about my brand new car being torn apart..

Cheers! - J
Old 11-09-2019, 12:46 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Thanks for sharing, hope it goes well so that you can properly enjoy the car.

Must suck having it ripped apart already. Be prepared to lemon it if need be -- rather than having a "half-glued" car back.

At least when you jump from the CLA250 to the C43 you will feel a big difference!
Old 11-15-2019, 11:43 PM

C43 AMG
In case anyone happens to be browsing this here's an update:

I took the car to a Mercedes very close to work. They held the car for 5 days (giving me a 2020 CLA as a loaner) to "diagnose" the issue. They ended up stating is was "flat spots" on the stock tires that had 1200 miles on them but that i'd have to take the care to the original Mercedes dealership for them to go about a "technicality" in the warranty to ger MB to replace the tires. I argued that this didn't sound right as the vibrations only occurred at high speeds and flat spots would surely be noticeable at all speeds.. not to mention a warranty should be honored regardless of the MB dealership the vehicle is taken to for service.

Flash forward and I'm on the phone the night before my appointment with my new service adviser at the dealership the car was purchased from. I started explaining as best I could what the vibrations were like and he immediately said "dude, that's the driveshaft." Mind blown.. So I arrive at the dealer the next day and he explains that the dealer close to work wins all kinds of awards from MB for being way under their warranty budget each year.. they simply turn away warranty repairs and is likely what happened with my car. That dealership just didn't see my issue as serious enough to take money out of their budget for repairs.. Unreal.

So the same day, Dealership 2 checks the car and contacts me that they've ordered a driveshaft. 2 days later (today) I picked up my car and the problem *seems* to be resolved. I wasn't able to get up to highway speeds this evening, but will be taking it to the freeway tomorrow to verify the repair and will report back then!
Old 11-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like selling dealer had dealt with this problem before. So they new how to fix it once verified. The other dealer didn’t want to deal with it or it didn’t pay enough warranty money to assume repair. You didn’t buy the cat from them so they didn’t give a damn. Glad it’s worked out.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C300
I have a 2018 C43 and I have noticed the same exact vibration. It is worse when I drive the car cold and gets better as the car (or tires) warms up. I am about to change over to my winter setup to eliminate the possibility the junk run flat tires are causing my issue.My car is a daily driver and it does not sit for extended periods.These tires should bot flat spot so quickly.

In my case It seems like a tire issue. If it was a driveshaft issue I would think it would be constant no matter what and not go away after a while.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:53 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by jim04clk
Sounds like selling dealer had dealt with this problem before. So they new how to fix it once verified. The other dealer didn’t want to deal with it or it didn’t pay enough warranty money to assume repair. You didn’t buy the cat from them so they didn’t give a damn. Glad it’s worked out.
Well that's BS in my opinion and not the way that I would assume a premium brand such as MB to treat their customers... I had a VW GTI prior to this AMG, moved across the country and VW here never even asked where the car was purchased. I'm glad it worked out too, but not glad that it meant being without my car for a week when it could have been 2 days!

Originally Posted by G_MAN_NH
I have a 2018 C43 and I have noticed the same exact vibration. It is worse when I drive the car cold and gets better as the car (or tires) warms up. I am about to change over to my winter setup to eliminate the possibility the junk run flat tires are causing my issue.My car is a daily driver and it does not sit for extended periods.These tires should bot flat spot so quickly.

In my case It seems like a tire issue. If it was a driveshaft issue I would think it would be constant no matter what and not go away after a while.
Yeah that sounds kind of like tires, but do you notice the issue at all speeds or just at certain speeds? I know other users here have had issues with the stock run-flats.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:32 AM

C43 AMG
Took the car out for about 30 miles on the highway last night. Speeds excess of 80mph and NO VIBRATION. I guess these C-classes do have a driveshaft balance issue from the factory..
Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by W205_AMG
Took the car out for about 30 miles on the highway last night. Speeds excess of 80mph and NO VIBRATION. I guess these C-classes do have a driveshaft balance issue from the factory..
I had differential replaced first to get rid of the 80kmh feedback noise. Then they ordered driveshaft for ****sandgiggles and now I have new driveshaft too.

If the noise come back it's the diff.