How do I get my 2019 C43 to start off in 2nd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by TModelle
Okay, how do I get my 2019 C43 to start in 2nd gear. Can it be programmed by MB to do so, or is there an aftermarket solution?

Right now I am doing it manually with the paddles, but I’d like to get it to do so automatically.
I test drove a '19 C43 coupe and it starts in 2nd gear in C and E. My '17 GLC43 does it and so does my C450. On inclines and from could start they will sometimes start from 1st and then after my first full stop they start from 2nd.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by Mr. J
I test drove a '19 C43 coupe and it starts in 2nd gear in C and E. My '17 GLC43 does it and so does my C450. On inclines and from could start they will sometimes start from 1st and then after my first full stop they start from 2nd.
There is no E mode on a ‘19. You might be mistaken and it might have been an ‘18.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by SLcharge
Control units
Drive
Select ME ,,, (ECU)
Development data
Control unit adaptation
Control unit adaptation ( Variant coding ).
Implizite Kodierung ME ,,, (ECU)
Scroll down and find gear select.
Select 2nd gear.
Save

That should do the trick.
In Xentry under ME control unit, I could not find this option. Are you sure about it.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by TModelle
There is no E mode on a ‘19. You might be mistaken and it might have been an ‘18.
Come to think of it, I think it was an '18 C43 and a '19 E53 that we drove. The E53 definitely starts from 2nd in C. It seems strange that MB would change this for the '19C43. Have any other MY19 owners confirmed this is a feature change or is this unique to your car?
Old 11-14-2019, 08:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Come to think of it, I think it was an '18 C43 and a '19 E53 that we drove. The E53 definitely starts from 2nd in C. It seems strange that MB would change this for the '19C43. Have any other MY19 owners confirmed this is a feature change or is this unique to your car?
Mine starts in 1st
Old 11-14-2019, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
All 2019 C43 start in 1st in all modes.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by superswiss
BTW, I also wanted to dispel this idea of a short 1st gear being an issue. The 2019 C43 and C63 have the same 1st gear ratio. The C43 has a slightly higher final drive ratio, so the effective ratio in first gear is slightly higher than in the C63. The C43 not factoring in any losses puts about 6307 lbs of torque to the wheels in first gear at peak engine torque and the C63S 7785 lbs. Short gears and high torque can be a hand full, but if that were the issue, the C63S would be even harder to move off, but I'm not seeing folks having issues with bunny hopping and such in the C63S. I certainly don't. I don't find the first gear to be too short for comfortably moving off. Now AWD vs 2WD certainly makes a difference. It's harder to spin 4 wheels than it is 2 wheels so AWD generally has more shocks going through the drivetrain than an RWD car, because it faces more resistance from the tires, but then it also has a higher loss in the drivetrain than RWD, so I do have a tough time comprehending the issues some people are reporting with the C43 in 1st gear. If they were that bad, I would expect them to be worse in the C63 and even more compounded by the clutch vs torque converter, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Here are links to the specs with gear ratios and everything for the sedan for those that are interested.

https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...specifications

https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...shedDescending

I agree. The bunny hop isn't mechanical. I think it's the throttle mapping. It's too aggressive at initial pedal travel. In S+ at less than 50% throttle my GLC43 is at WOT and holding gear to redline. It's not linear either. In the other drive modes I have to actually floor it to hit WOT.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Now that all drive modes default to 1st gear start, I wonder if they tweaked the mapping to fix the bunny hop.

Have any '19 drivers out there had it yet?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Now that all drive modes default to 1st gear start, I wonder if they tweaked the mapping to fix the bunny hop.

Have any '19 drivers out there had it yet?
No, it’s the same. I regularly drive my friends ‘18 Coupe and the throttle response is similar, but the good part is that it can start in 2nd. For my ‘19 whenever I feel any onset of funny behaviour with the car taking off, I let go of the throttle so it doesn’t happen, but I can see how it could get worse if continued. There’s really no excuse for the bad throttle mapping for the C43, it’s not like this car is a super high performance car and have such bad manners. All the other competing makes like BMW or Audi don’t have such a problem. I drove a C63S over a weekend and it doesn’t even have this problem.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
I agree. The bunny hop isn't mechanical. I think it's the throttle mapping. It's too aggressive at initial pedal travel. In S+ at less than 50% throttle my GLC43 is at WOT and holding gear to redline. It's not linear either. In the other drive modes I have to actually floor it to hit WOT.
One of these days I'm gonna have to see if I can drive a C43 in a more normal setting. I did drive one on the track in S+, and I didn't feel any issues with the throttle mapping as we were slowly pulling out of the pit lane and coming to a smooth stop in the pit lane after the laps. Neither during the lap. The throttle from what I remember was pretty linear and allowed for smooth acceleration out of the corners. It was during the AMG Driving Academy, so I would think those are pretty well run in cars and obviously have seen some pretty aggressive driving on the track. S+ is really not meant nor suited for normal driving around town, and I still suspect that some of these cars may have learned some bad habits from driving the car in the wrong mode and perhaps too much stop and no go to really collect enough data and adapt the transmission. I can tell from my C63S, that it really took several thousand miles for it to feel right and be in sync with my driving style and at over 9000 miles it still seems to get better as I'm driving it in my typical settings.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
One of these days I'm gonna have to see if I can drive a C43 in a more normal setting. I did drive one on the track in S+, and I didn't feel any issues with the throttle mapping as we were slowly pulling out of the pit lane and coming to a smooth stop in the pit lane after the laps. Neither during the lap. The throttle from what I remember was pretty linear and allowed for smooth acceleration out of the corners. It was during the AMG Driving Academy, so I would think those are pretty well run in cars and obviously have seen some pretty aggressive driving on the track. S+ is really not meant nor suited for normal driving around town, and I still suspect that some of these cars may have learned some bad habits from driving the car in the wrong mode and perhaps too much stop and no go to really collect enough data and adapt the transmission. I can tell from my C63S, that it really took several thousand miles for it to feel right and be in sync with my driving style and at over 9000 miles it still seems to get better as I'm driving it in my typical settings.
Don’t over think this learning thing, these cars do not learn that much to make a very significant difference. They do learn, but not so much as you might think. All other high performance German marques drive well out of the box and don’t have to learn. They should drive well no matter what. I am in the automotive industry and drive many of these cars everyday, none of them can learn habits to the point that they drive badly afterward. Shift points or shift behaviour, or maybe fuel economy and fuel trims, but not in gear jerky behaviour at part throttle. That would not be the result of “learning” driving behaviour over time. Nowadays the throttle pedals are “demand” pedals, not real throttle pedals like in the past. It is just an input to the ECU to know what torque requirement the driver wants, not directly correlated to throttle angle as one might think.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. J (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43

Yeah I've done the AMG DA too and played with all the toys. Remember, for low speed maneuvering a smooth track surface is much more forgiving than a rutted up city street. There really is no comparison. Even the parking lot at Laguna Seca where we ran the auto X and skid pad courses was silky smooth compared to the streets I drive at home.

Personally, I've only encountered the bunny hop on rough or uneven pavement surfaces which is the condition of most US roads these days.

As far as drive time, I have 28k miles on the GLC43 so break-in is not an issue.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yeah I've done the AMG DA too and played with all the toys. Remember, for low speed maneuvering a smooth track surface is much more forgiving than a rutted up city street. There really is no comparison. Even the parking lot at Laguna Seca where we ran the auto X and skid pad courses was silky smooth compared to the streets I drive at home.

Personally, I've only encountered the bunny hop on rough or uneven pavement surfaces which is the condition of most US roads these days.

As far as drive time, I have 28k miles on the GLC43 so break-in is not an issue.
I think that brings back a point that was made on another thread I believe. If you are driving over rough roads and you get thrown around in the car, chances are your foot is doing the bunny hopping with the throttle pedal. Try to hold the foot steady even if you get thrown about in the car. I definitely had bunny hopping that way in several cars, especially with manual transmissions. A direct drivetrain will exaggerate this. I suspect the C43 is pretty aggressive with the lock-up clutch, so once the torque converter is locked any bouncing on the throttle pedal gets translated fairly directly through the drivetrain. To be frank, I bunny hopped my C63S that way at the beginning over some unexpected road bumps. I've learned to keep my foot more steady now. Some other cars, in particular Audis have a more forgiving throttle mapping, so that quick stabs don't immediately transfer to the drivetrain, on the other hand in more dynamic driving situations that will lead to lag. Most of the roads around here are now also quite smooth. We've had a marathon of repaving over the last decade. I actually found the roads here in NorCal to be smoother than European roads if you can believe it. I was quite shocked how neglected the roads in Europe have become and it wasn't just me. My friends and relatives who live there all confirmed my observations. Here in NorCal they use rubberized asphalt, which makes the roads smoother and also much less noisy.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-17-2019 at 07:02 PM.