Sponsored by:

2020 C43 - still looking for input please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43
2020 C43 - still looking for input please

On 20 November, I initiated a post (2020 C43 PE EXHAUST SYMPTOMS) but with 137 views, still no response. I'm still hoping to hear from those who have the Performance Exhaust (PE) option on their C43, and I would think my question applies to earlier years as well - certainly those driving 2019s. Still working with the dealer (it has not yet been in the shop). I would greatly appreciate hearing member's COLD START experience with a PE equipped car. Again, the glorious (but noisy) cold start stays constant all the way to work (30+ miles) and then home again. It just does not seem normal to me, particularly because pressing the PE switch on the console immediately quiets the car. The COLD START running sound is easy 3X louder than the PE mode. Seeking confirmation what I am experiencing is common to others, or indeed an issue. Sorry to carry on...this is making me crazy. Thank you all!
Old 11-22-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 C300W4
What did the dealer say?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 C43 Coupe
Sounds like your PE is wired backwards. On when it indicates it's off and off when indicating it's on.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43
The dealer is waiting to hear from the MERCEDES TECHNICAL/ENGINEERING folks who they gave emailed with the symptoms. I have an appointment upcoming...I will take the technician for a drive while the car is hopefully still LOUD and demonstrate that pushing the PE switch quiets the car and the onscreen exhaust mode says POWERFUL. Pressing it again (to take it off the PE mode) puts it in what they screen says is the BALANCED mode (which is even quieter). At that point, there is not 'getting back' the deep growl and overall base tone of the exhaust that begins on a COLD START but never goes away unless the car is stopped and restarted a few times while warm. Again, I can drive 30 - 60 miles or more and if the car is not shut off (even though it is obviously a full operating temperature), the 3 exhaust butterfly valves are clearing staying full open. At least in my car, pushing the PE switch - or then again to turn it off - progressively closes the valves to its PE mode which has a little snarl, to the regular mode which is whisper quiet.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by amgmacc43
The dealer is waiting to hear from the MERCEDES TECHNICAL/ENGINEERING folks who they gave emailed with the symptoms. I have an appointment upcoming...I will take the technician for a drive while the car is hopefully still LOUD and demonstrate that pushing the PE switch quiets the car and the onscreen exhaust mode says POWERFUL. Pressing it again (to take it off the PE mode) puts it in what they screen says is the BALANCED mode (which is even quieter). At that point, there is not 'getting back' the deep growl and overall base tone of the exhaust that begins on a COLD START but never goes away unless the car is stopped and restarted a few times while warm. Again, I can drive 30 - 60 miles or more and if the car is not shut off (even though it is obviously a full operating temperature), the 3 exhaust butterfly valves are clearing staying full open. At least in my car, pushing the PE switch - or then again to turn it off - progressively closes the valves to its PE mode which has a little snarl, to the regular mode which is whisper quiet.

You should have just bumped your old thread.
Either the controller for your PE is borked or the components weren't wired in correctly. This should be easy for a competent tech to figure out. If your current dealer can't figure it out take it to another one. Some are great others...not so much.