Sponsored by:

Do I need a brake job?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SL 55
Do I need a brake job?

My car is a ‘17 c43 coupe with just over 18k miles. I’m starting to get a slight vibration on the brake pedal when braking from higher speeds (50mph). I’m not getting any brake warning on the dash either.

Does my car need a break job? 18k miles seems kinda low for a break job... Or could this be a balancing issue (I do have winter tires on the car). The vibration only occurs under heavier braking.

I daily drive my car and I’m pretty easy on it and do not track.

Anywho, I’d appreciate any info on the matter
Old 02-11-2020, 08:19 PM

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Just take it to the dealer...you’re under warranty right?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,664 Posts
2019 C63CS
You most likely have uneven brake pad deposits on your rotors. This tends to happen with performance brakes if they are not being properly bedded in and/or regularly get some good heat in them. Performance brakes are made for more than doodling around and do need an occasional workout. Go find an empty road and do a few ~60mph to ~5mph stops w/o the ABS activating and don't come to a full stop. Do it until your brakes get hot and start smelling. Should take perhaps about 6-10 repetitions. Then go on the highway and drive for a while w/o using the brakes or very little so they cool down. Avoid coming to a full stop with the foot on the brakes while they are hot, otherwise your brake pads will imprint and you are back to square one. Depending on how uneven your current deposits are, this process may smooth it out. You may have to repeat it a few times.

If you take it in, the dealership will most likely tell you that your rotors are warped, which is largely a myth and a lazy diagnosis by many technician. Rotors generally don't warp, because it takes a lot of heat to warp cast iron rotors. But uneven pad deposits is a common issue. Brakes need a thin layer of pad material on the rotor to perform at their best. W/o it they may squeal or cause other issues. To maintain this layer, the brake pads need to get hot regularly as pad material only transfers if they are hot. If they are cold, they actually scrape away the pad material that is already on the rotor and you eventually end up with shiny metal again. Normal daily driving doesn't really get the brakes hot enough on a regular basis.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
MatthewJ (02-12-2020), Vanquish59 (07-02-2023)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:26 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
When was last time you got your brakes serviced?

If your car is 3 years old with 0 brake maintenance, I would start with replacing the brake fluid and while there, ask to check the wear on the pads. Or change out both.

MB recommend 2 year interval for the brake flush.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SL 55
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

The car is still under warranty however, my dealer's service department is not great. I'm worried they'll tell me it needs all new brakes without a proper inspection.

I'm going to try to bed them a bit this weekend and will update the forum with my findings.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Where are you located? If in US, there's no requirement to go to a dealer service center for warranty work. I would recommend seeking out a local independent Euro-focused shop.