Poor Navigational Guidance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:08 PM
bic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
986S
Poor Navigational Guidance

So I received my C43 Coupe stateside about 2 weeks ago after having done European Delivery back in May. The car's navigation worked flawlessly overseas but I've been struggling with it every day I've had it here in the US. Not only does the screen display the car as being several blocks away from where it actually is from time to time, it *always* suggests oddball routes that are slower than what other mapping services would suggest (or even common sense). The guidance seems to have a preference for surface streets and loves to avoid highways and especially toll roads.

I've played with the all of the settings a million times trying to correct this but can't solve the problem. Obviously I've checked to see if the "avoid toll road" option has been selected, I've toggled between "fastest route," "shortest route," "dynamic traffic route," etc. to no avail. I normally keep it on "dynamic traffic route" but even when there's no traffic along the quickest and most straightforward highway route, it will suggest a route that involves heaps of slow surface streets. It also does this when the "fastest route" option is ticked.

Has anybody else experienced this frustration? Could it be that the software needs an update? Is there anything I should try that I've missed?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
Having the same issue here with a 2015 C300 4matic. Nav avoids the highways and take me on slow street routes that are very strange. Just had my Nav unit updated by MB dealership but still the same. Would like to know if there is a way around this strange route mapping issue as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Same....
Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
C400
+1
Old 07-13-2018, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
I honestly don't have anything to offer in regards to the COMMAND sat/nav.

I'm just here as I was curious to find out if people really do use it over their smartphone with GoogleMaps. To tell you the truth, since smartphones came out, I've never used a car's sat/nav for directions or any of that. I do still use it for when I'm driving aggressively on a twisty/winding road (especially at night) that I'm unfamiliar with as I can see the angle of the turns long before I get to them.

P.S. Your car has a warranty. Take it to the dealer when you have problems....
Old 07-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Without reading any of this post, I will automatically say use Google Maps on your phone
Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Use WAZE
Old 02-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron
Originally Posted by bic
So I received my C43 Coupe stateside about 2 weeks ago after having done European Delivery back in May. The car's navigation worked flawlessly overseas but I've been struggling with it every day I've had it here in the US. Not only does the screen display the car as being several blocks away from where it actually is from time to time, it *always* suggests oddball routes that are slower than what other mapping services would suggest (or even common sense). The guidance seems to have a preference for surface streets and loves to avoid highways and especially toll roads.

I've played with the all of the settings a million times trying to correct this but can't solve the problem. Obviously I've checked to see if the "avoid toll road" option has been selected, I've toggled between "fastest route," "shortest route," "dynamic traffic route," etc. to no avail. I normally keep it on "dynamic traffic route" but even when there's no traffic along the quickest and most straightforward highway route, it will suggest a route that involves heaps of slow surface streets. It also does this when the "fastest route" option is ticked.

Has anybody else experienced this frustration? Could it be that the software needs an update? Is there anything I should try that I've missed?
I am having the exact same problem on my 2020 GLE 450. Today it routed me off of the turnpike (no traffic) onto all local streets. I also checked to see that the "Avoid Tolls" was NOT enabled. Have you heard any resolution?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:03 AM

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe
I stopped using auto manufacturer's GPS/Navigation systems for this reason several years ago. I've run into this problem with GM (GMC and Chevy), Lexus, and BMW. This is why Android Auto was a must-have for me.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C43
Sometimes I think the AI is fighting back whenever it tells me to turn but I don't.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,677 Likes on 2,456 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jcapotos
I am having the exact same problem on my 2020 GLE 450. Today it routed me off of the turnpike (no traffic) onto all local streets. I also checked to see that the "Avoid Tolls" was NOT enabled. Have you heard any resolution?
This thread is quite old. OP's system is two generations behind yours. The 2020 GLE has the latest system called MBUX. It's about as modern and good as Infotainment systems go. I've personally not experienced the MBUX navigation yet, but the underlying map data etc. is the same as the latest COMAND system in my 2019 C63S as far as I know and it has worked for me quite well. Like OP I did European Delivery, but didn't use the built-in navigation in Europe due to the online services not being active, so there was no traffic data. I was exclusively using Apple CarPlay with Google Maps to get around. Here in the USA I'm using the built-in navigation and Apple CarPlay/Google Maps about equally. I use the one that works best in the current situation. Google Maps is better at local and neighborhood driving, while the internal navigation is better for long distance trips, especially since it makes better use of the available displays. Strange routing is often a matter of incorrect mapping data. Have you been regularly updating your maps or made sure you have the latest data? Since I took delivery of my car last May, I've already received three map updates. The home region should get pushed to the car automatically and you should get a notification when it's been updated, but other regions have to be downloaded manually. They seemed to have installed a somewhat outdated version at the VPC when my car arrived in the USA last September, but shortly after my Mercedes Me Connect services got activated, I received two updates in short order, which fixed several recent road changes around here and the routes are now properly incorporating the new roads etc.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
GLA250 4Matic, 911 Carrera S, R1250 GS Adv.
My '19 C43 was at the dealer yesterday for its first A Service (8K mi., 13 mo.). I asked whether the MB Nav is due for any updates- no, they said, no software updates apply.

So, my questions: how do the Nav maps/POI's get updated, and how often? Is there a way for me to know the exact version of my current maps? I find the MB system to be very usable and accurate, and I would like to be sure it's as up to date as possible. Thanks.

(Also, the dealer gave me a non-AMG C class loaner - which made me appreciate my 384 hp and PE even more!)

Last edited by Sailorlite; 02-13-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,677 Likes on 2,456 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Sailorlite
My '19 C43 was at the dealer yesterday for its first A Service (8K mi., 13 mo.). I asked whether the MB Nav is due for any updates- no, they said, no software updates apply.

So, my questions: how do the Nav maps/POI's get updated, and how often? Is there a way for me to know the exact version of my current maps? I find the MB system to be very usable and accurate, and I would like to be sure it's as up to date as possible. Thanks.

(Also, the dealer gave me a non-AMG C class loaner - which made me appreciate my 384 hp and PE even more!)
The maps are updated online, and updates are coming out every 6 months or even more often. I got three updates last year and I took delivery in May. It should automatically push updates for your home region to the car. You get a notification when the maps are updated. Other regions you have to manually download on an SD card or USB stick from the Mercedes Me portal and then insert it into the car. It'll automatically recognize it and walk you through the update. Each update includes updates to the voice recognition. The latter won't be pushed automatically to the car even for the home region and also has to be manually downloaded. For 2019 models, the latest version is 360.

Go to https://www.me.mercedes-benz.com/pas...y-vehicle.html and click on Online Map Update. It will tell you which regions have updates and which ones are up to date in your car. That's also where you can configure you home region. I'm currently up to date with all regions except Mexico and Canada. Here's a screenshot. The top part is where you can configure the region that you want to be updated automatically whenever a new update comes out. The car will automatically start downloading it in the background as you drive around. Then if you so desire you can go to the portal and manually download the updates for the voice recognition and other regions.

The following users liked this post:
Sailorlite (02-13-2020)