Sponsored by:

Digital Dash Symbols / Meanings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 09:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
G37
Digital Dash Symbols / Meanings

I check the guides that came with the car and searched online but could not find a single source that told me what everything means in the Digital Dash. All the different symbols, temps (there is more than engine oil), etc.. Is there some location where this is compiled so I can understand them?
Old 03-01-2020, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2019 C63CS
The Instrument Display is explained in the owner's manual starting on page 213 and in the AMG supplement starting on page 25. I'm not sure if everything is there, but I find the instrument cluster quite self-explanatory. The temps are pretty straight forward. The two main ones that are shown in multiple places are the transmission temp and the oil temp. Then there is the coolant temp and the tire temps. That's as far as temps goes. The different layouts have things in different places. Supersport has the less important pieces of information hidden away in separate displays. To see the coolant temp for example you have to go to Service and then Coolant, but instead you can see the transmission and oil temps in several locations. I use the Supersport view and generally have the tire pressure screen on the right, which shows me most of the car's relevant health information. Tire pressure, tire temps, oil and transmission temp. It even colors the engine and transmission in blue on the diagram while they are cold, so I can quickly see if the car has reached operating temperature yet.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-01-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
G37
Thanks for that. Will take a look at the AMG supplement. One other question. Are there any temp requirements before really kicking in the turbo use or doesn't matter now?
Old 03-01-2020, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by nishalp
Thanks for that. Will take a look at the AMG supplement. One other question. Are there any temp requirements before really kicking in the turbo use or doesn't matter now?
Well, the operating temp for the engine oil is a 160F, at that point it turns white on the display and the transmission at 120F respectively. You should take it easy until both temps turn white. Essentially keep it below 3000-4000 rpm and don't use full throttle. Obviously all that goes out the window if you need to make an evasive maneuver or give it some beans to get out of a sticky situation, but generally keep it calm until it has reached operating temp.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, the operating temp for the engine oil is a 160F, at that point it turns white on the display and the transmission at 120F respectively. You should take it easy until both temps turn white. Essentially keep it below 3000-4000 rpm and don't use full throttle. Obviously all that goes out the window if you need to make an evasive maneuver or give it some beans to get out of a sticky situation, but generally keep it calm until it has reached operating temp.
The transmission temp is interesting, as in cooler ambient temperatures, it can take a *while* for the transmission to hit that 120F mark. I can make a 10-mile round trip in that time, and when I park, the transmission temperature is still well shy of that mark.

Someone once told me not to worry too much about the transmission temperature, as heat is the enemy of a transmission. Obviously there's a middle ground in there somewhere.